Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community Forum on Police Community Relations

Default Community Forum on Police Community Relations

If the article in the Feb 4 Chieftain is accurate and 50 % of the attendees at the forum were police officers, that would sure curtail free and open discussion, especially given the topic and the reason for the forum in the first place. What are the police so afraid of that they have to muster a "show of force"? I am interested to hear from someone who attended.

Wouldn't you and a bunch of your co-workers go to a meeting if it was about you and how you do your job?

I would say that at least they are interested in what the community has to say about them. I would be actually more worried if none of them showed up. That would give the idea that they don't care what the community thinks.

50 % of the attendees at the forum were police officers, that would sure curtail free and open discussion
    Why you think that if you say some thing they are going to follow you around and harras you?

Just my thoughts.

I really wish I could have been there, folks, but I'm about to give birth any time and I've been going in and out of labour.

I agree with Spectre's remark, to a degree, but I think Loren's remark is right on the mark. I think they were interested in the meeting because they don't want such panel to be created.

I think it would be a better idea to meet first without any cops present.

Once it's decided whether a panel should be formed, then work with their disciplinary officer along with police trainers AND NO OTHER COPS concerning the matter. The reason for working with those I specified is so that they can help the panel understand training and discipline in the department, IOW, for informational purposes only.

I'm very disappointed that I was unable to go last night, what with my starting a similar subject a couple of days ago here. A Client from Woodland Park wished to have a business meeting at 6:30 PM so . . Priorities spoke!

Yes, I can see the policemen's point in being there. However . . I think they would have served themselves better to have had a couple of represenatives and not the day shift. An appearance of Intimidation, perhaps?

On the other hand, based on what I have read, there was a considerable "Racially Based " Undertone to the meeting also. And we have to get past that also. A good share of the Police are of Chicano or Latino . . whatever you will, Ancestory and they are for the most part, Policemen first, Whatevers second . . . I'll leave this at that . .

BUT, Thiebaut and Doug Wilson were pretty close on the fact that some things do need a little closer look . .

As I wasn't there, I'll have to reserve any more comments till I watch the rerun on channel 17 or 18.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Any idea on how I can get ahold of the minutes/transcription of this meeting?

Default Community Forum

I also will reserve judgment until I can watch the video.

Default Re-run

OooooKay . . . watched the meeting we all missed . . didn't miss much, lot of people telling other people about their run ins with the Police. And while I have only been in Jail 3 times, and for very short stays . . I never met anybody in jail or the court system who did what they arrested him for . . . "cept me . . I got thrown in Jail in Armadillo, TX for being with a Black after the ten O'clock curfew! Twice! He was the Piano Player, I was a drummer . . Lead Guitar Guy was a 'Mexican, they didn't know what to do with him, just turned him loose . . Thank God . . or there'd been nobody to bail me out. Probably wouldn't have let the Black guy do it! They was funny about that back then down there!

Anyhow, maybe we're past the Race thing . . and the fact that several people came to have their cases re-tried . . .

NEXT MEETING . . Same time, same Place, Thursday Night, Feburary 10th. Come with suggestions of how an oversight committee ought to be formed and who might be on it.

Let's forget recrimination and see if we can do something that will create a better future . . optimistic, ain't I?

OKAY folks...I finally got a chance to view the meeting in question in it's entirety (or, that is, what was on video), and let me tell ya...I was not impressed, overall.

I was impressed with the way some of the folks approached the officials, however, the overall impression I got of the meeting is that it was nothing more than a b*tch-session against the police.

I was the least impressed with people who's loved ones were in the act of committing a crime -- IOW -- ACTING IRRESPONSIBLY -- who were mad at the cops for going after these perps. One gal, defending her nephew's memory, stated, "He was only trying to keep from going back to prison" in reference to why he was fleeing from the police in an apparent chase, and ended up being hit by someone who "didn't stop at a stop sign" (I have a feeling the one who didn't stop for the stopsign was the one leading the police in the chase to begin with).

Folks, we can't sit here and blame the big bad cops for our getting ourselves into trouble.

I once knew a man who was dealing drugs. I didn't know he was a drug dealer until he got busted. After then, all I heard about was how he was going to beat this rap on a technicality and how horrible the cops were. I told the idiot that had he not been engaged in this illegal activity in the first place, and having hidden "the goods" in his home when his house alarm notified the police of an intruder, then he wouldn't have had anything to worry about in the first darned place.

There are plenty of people who do not hold a previous record, who just aren't trouble makers who have had dealings with the cops that were unfair. I think such a board would better serve these folks, not people trying to get their criminally active loved ones out of hot water.

I can not believe the amount of bizarre complaints I heard without any offer of proof to back up the allegations. I'd say the meeting was a mess, and I wouldn't expect much to come out of it.

I was very disappointed over all in what I saw. I'm not exactly a cop lover here, but you know...I don't blame the cops for showing up in uniform. I think it kept a riot from breaking out, to be honest.

Default Police/Community Forum

There were a couple of cogent editorials in last Sunday's Chieftain. Here is the link.
    http://www.chieftain.com/editorial/1108882800/11

Default Police Creditability Issue

OK, here's where I'm coming from . .

First . . 90% of the people at the HRC Panel meeting . . Had no business there . . They were for the most part, another bunch of Pino Famlies, pissing and moaning about the treatment their un-watched children got when they became juvenile criminals . . And if you carry a gun, wave it around, if the cops don't shoot you, somebody else will! That's just common sense! If you stay out all night dealing drugs, burglurizing houses and cars . . eventually the dumbest of cops will catch you and throw your asses in jail . . . One woman said she has either 7 or 9 (couldn't quite keep up with her) children, all of which had multiple run ins with the police during the last 30 years (based on the 75 cents an hour pay at Parkview) and apparently several were still incarcerated. That doesn't sound like a police problem, it sounds like a PARENTING problem!

The Pino Family lived for a while, two or so years, next to my Step Son . . . What has happened to the first of Mrs. Pino's (or whatever her name is now) children will in all likelyhood happen to several more in one way or another. Again, there is a PARENTING Problem!

None the less, We still need to ask for Police Accountability. That remains the crux of the problem. Last Sunday, the Chieftain ran almost a whole section on the Pino incident. The article went to great lengths to describe the unfolding incident, where people were, who they were, and kind of how they all got there to one place on Sitter and Prairie Avenues.

I don't buy it! The description of the incident doesn't fit the actual facts as they are shown.

Sgt Wills was in the parking lot of the Albertson's/County Market Store, west of the intersection . . He rams the Camaro going south on Prairie . . In the Left Side? Now I'm not a Forensic Investigator, but how the hell can you do that? He had to circle the car at speed and then accelerate into the Left side of the Camaro . . Some purty fancy drivin' there Pardner!

Then, published either the day after or the next day after the incident . . There was a photograph of a bullet hole in the windshield of the Camaro, off center towards the driver's side, about 4 inches above the bottom of the glass. Hmmmmm, again . . . the account published Sunday sez Sgt. Wills shot Daniel as he emerged from the right side of the Camaro, the bullet going between the right windshield post and the side window of the open right door . . OK . . how'd the windshield get a bullet hole in it?

Now personally, While I still agree that if you start a gunfight with the cops, you're gonna get shot . . I can't buy the information given in this particular incident.

Also, I have to ask . . What the Hell is a Police Officer doing with a personal weapon like a .223 caliber AR-15 in the front seat of his patrol car? Let's load 'em up with rifles that fire high velocity bullets that will ricochet for about a week! They all carry sidearms with High Velocity Virgin Lead Hollow Point Ammunition with capacities of up to 15 shots, and are supposed to be proficient with them at ranges of up to 35 Meters . . Pino and Wills couldn't have been more than 10 yards apart at the most. So why the Assault Rifle? This isn't the Wild West!

It appears to me that the Police Department (and the Sheriff also) could use a little oversight by somebody a little more level headed than the people who apparently aren't watching now.

And it also appears that the entire law enforcement Community needs to be a little more open about a lot of things, as they seem to be losing popular support in Pueblo. And without the support of the Community, the Police Department cannot function . . .