Thread: Old Hoss Radbourn Alive and Tweeting

Silver Member

Default Old Hoss Radbourn Alive and Tweeting

Charles Gardner Radbourn (Old Hoss) had perhaps the greatest season of any pitcher in history back in '84, that's 1884:

From http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...adboch01.shtml

73 starts
    73 complete games
    678 2/3 innings pitched
    59 wins 12 losses
    1.38 ERA
    11 shutouts
    1 save in two relief appearances

They grew 'em a little tougher in those days. Old Hoss Radbourn played for the Providence Grays in '84 and also played for Boston Beaneaters, Boston Reds and Cincinnati Reds.

Attachment 975

Well Old Hoss has returned and is posting his humorous observations of the wimps who play baseball today. His real name remains anonymous, but he goes by OldHossRadbourn on twitter.

He has some pretty funny stuff and there are almost 5,000 twitter accounts following him. He even uses 19th century diction and spells the sport, "base ball." His tone is intended to sound like it comes from the tough, hard-throwing, hard-drinking Old Hoss.

On todays news that the farm in Iowa with the the "Field of Dreams" ball field is up for sale:

I see this "Field of Dreams" is for sale. Would that I could purchase it - I'd burn that deuced thing down to the ground. Not invite me, eh?
    On Ken Griffey falling asleep in the clubhouse:

A 'mate of mine once fell asleep in the club house during a game. This was quite good, as at the time I was rogering his wife in my locker.

Mariners having a closed-door team meeting. First on the agenda: coloring books. Then, milk and snacks, sing-along, and team nap time.

You know, if K. Griffey hadn't swiped Ichiro S.'s blankie during nap time, this story would never have leaked to the scribes.
    Wimps:

This J. Zumaya is throwing 101 MPH. Quite impressive. Of course, that was the speed of my breaking pitches.

I have observed something quite distressing: an elegant, dapper mustache like mine on today's man yields disastrous results

Belated congrats on your "perfect" game, D. Braden. Six whole strike outs, eh. You must get a lot of fly ball outs in the 2009.
    And on the Cavaliers losing the series to the Celtics:

This just in: Cleveland Cavaliers' Quicken Loans Arena to be renamed "Appomattox Courthouse."

Silver Member

Another one from Old Hoss:

I knew I had made it as a big-leaguer when they named a strain of opium after me. Stick that in your miserable candy bar, R. Jackson.

Silver Member

Harper Collins Publishers, has recently released "Fifty-Nine in '84," a book about Old Hoss Radbourn and a bygone era in baseball. The title refers to his 59 wins in 1884, by far the most in a year by any pitcher.

The publisher's Description

Book Review by tweeter OldHossRadbourn This is apparently actually written by the guy on twitter , who goes by OldHossRadbourn, and is quite knowledgeable.

Attachment 1000

In the photo below, Old Hoss is the one on the far left, back row with the "mischievously placed middle finger." I would not have known that they would have stooped to that in 1884. Actually, I guess that's sometime after 1884 when he was with the Boston Beaneaters or the Boston Reds.

Attachment 1001

And finally, a couple more from OldHossRadbourn:

A scribe once told me I had a "thousand dollar arm and [a] ten cent head." I was quite flattered, as $1,000.10 was a rather princely sum.

And this, in reference to a recently surfaced photo purported to be the manhood of Evan Longoria, circa 2006:

Dear E. Longoria, it is for this very reason that one sends a nosegay, tasty sweets, and money. *Not* a lascivious lithograph. Yrs, Hoss.
    Last edited by Bob Nattering; 05-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Silver Member

I liked these recent ones:

So, I assume Greece will simply borrow goals from other teams in order to subsidize their own scoring inability.
    And for all you American-born supporters of England: remember that you once were called Tories, and were shot for your crimes.
    I once took an autographed daguerreotype of Charlie Sweeney to "Antiques Roadshow." No one knew who he was. How sad

Silver Member

According to : http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2...tel-room-fall/

Bob Huggins Broke 7 Ribs, Not 4, in Hotel Room Fall

Bob Huggins' fall in his Las Vegas hotel room Friday night did more damage than originally thought.

The coach broke seven ribs when he fell onto a coffee table late last week, not four as initially stated, West Virginia assistant Billy Hahn told ESPN's Andy Katz.

Hahn said Huggins broke ribs "three through nine" when he lost his balance and fell, striking a coffee table. Hahn also told ESPN that Huggins would remain in Las Vegas until he began breathing comfortably. He had originally planned to fly out Saturday.

Huggins, 56, led the Mountaineers to the Final Four this season, the school's first trip since 1959.
    Reaction from Old Hoss Radbourn http://twitter.com/OldHossRadbourn/status/19685030502:

Apparently B. Huggins broke seven of his ribs, not four. Finally, proof that problems with basic math are not only limited to his players.

I do think, however, that his players appeared to have the physical coordination to avoid falling on a coffee table when walking around in a hotel room.
    Last edited by Bob Nattering; 07-27-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Silver Member

My Old Hoss Radbourn posts seem to be just what the Forum has been looking for as evidenced by the lively discussions they have initiated. To satisfy popular demand I'm posting a few more.

You may have heard that the Brewers will be unveiling a statue this month of their former owner and current Commissioner, Bud Selig. The Radbourn response:

Graven image of "Bud" Selig soon to be unveiled in Milwaukee. Idolaters! Enjoy your locusts and two-headed calves.

Also from Old Hoss:

Yankees 2B R. Cano out with a cold. Yes, that's right. A cold. Hoss's prescription for Mr. Cano: a pretty pink dress with cute ribbons.
    And regarding Eric Byrnes, who you may remember in 2007 said the Rockies had been lucky in their defeats of his D-backs (and who is quite fond of the word dude):

I should not mock this E. Byrnes. His recent analysis ("Dude dude bro dude bro dude") was quite insightful.
    From Old Hoss's quote it would appear that Byrnes is doing baseball analysis for someone. I can't document that. I know that he was cut by the Mariners in May after going 3 for 38 and on a squeeze play, inexplicably pulling back his bat allowing the runner from 3rd to be tagged out at the plate. I know also that he's still getting $11M a year in salary from the D-backs.

At $11 m a year, he may not be much of a ball player, but he's a hell of a negotiator!
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Silver Member

That dude's a hell of a negotiator, dude!