PDA

View Full Version : Reputations

User No Longer With Us
03-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I like this NEW! IMPROVED! ULTRA! forum, but what's the reputation thing all about? Can we read people's comments when they "add to our reputation"? And, what are these reputation points? I'm hoping that the more you have the better your reputation?

(I know, check the FAQ...but I'm still trying to figure out how to use that, too. lol!)

This could get REAL fun real fast...heh heh heh (good fun, that is...clean, nice...*ahem*)

In all seriousness, I do wonder about the reputation thing, but I also wanted to say I like the new look.

webmaster
03-10-2005, 02:18 PM
User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a derisive element of your forum so great care should be taken before a decision is made to enable it.

That is about it. I am not to familiar with the Reputation system so we will see how it goes and if if becomes a problem or abused we will turn it off if needed.

Hope that answers your questsion.

User No Longer With Us
03-10-2005, 04:35 PM
OK, that helps...so, um, how do we view other participants reputation comments, then?

webmaster
03-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Well I left you a comment you can see if in you Control Panel it shows in there and then let us know :)

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 10:06 AM
OK, either I'm blind or just can't see...but, um, I can't find it...lol

(don't laugh, I'm only smart at SOME things...lol)

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
OH, wait... I gotta click on "user cp", right?

(DUH @ me! lol)

webmaster
03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Try leaving me one and I will see if I can find it :)

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 10:18 AM
okees...lol...

webmaster
03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Hmm, after some searching and readin about other boards there doesn't seem to be any way for users to read the comments. As well there have been issues with the reputation system cause trouble with newer members and people abusing the system.

Though it does seem interesting I think I will turn it off for now till I can do more research into it.

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh, yeah, just when I figured out what it was and how to use it you want to turn it off. :P (lol!)

I think we're a pretty good group here, why not give us a chance first? We're all adults capable of behaving ourselves, right? So, if people become abusive, why not give them a warning and a time-out or whatever instead?

Just a thought.

I'm enjoying getting used to the new forum. So many neat little things we can do with this one that we couldn't do with the other one.

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
By the way, I did find the comment. I think if we communicate how to find the comments and such, all will be well.

webmaster
03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
OK Lexi you convinced me we will leave it on and see how things go.

oh, Yea where did you find the comments :)

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 03:40 PM
First I clicked on "user cp" in the menu bar just under the Chieftain banner, then when it loaded that page I scrolled down below my subscribed topics. The comment was shown on the far right.

If I right-click on the reputations icon (for participants who don't know which icon that is, it's below your user icon, and is the one in the middle) in any of my posts, I can view how many reputation points I have.

User No Longer With Us
03-11-2005, 03:42 PM
PS -- Thanks for leaving the reputations. :D I hope folks will have some fun with them.

Chuckie
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm still confused by all of this. I followed Lexi's directions and found nothing. I did click on the "scales" icon and found my rating. doesn't mean anything to me if I can't see what comments were left to get the rating.

Any help?

User No Longer With Us
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
There won't be anything there if no one has sent you a comment. I'm sending you a comment, try my instructions again and tell me if you see it.

Chuckie
03-24-2005, 06:16 PM
OK, that worked. it also bumped up my reputation points by one. Which brings up the next question. Where did those points come from? Did I start out at a number higher than zero?

User No Longer With Us
03-24-2005, 06:28 PM
When I first looked, I had 10 points, then someone paid me a complimentary reputation and I ended up with 20 points, so that's a good question.

Whatcha say, webmaster?