PDA

View Full Version : The Pueblo City Council

large
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
WOW! Dunno what to say . . With the exception of Vera Ortegon, the whole bunch of candidates are Democratic Community activists . . And with the exception of Chris Nichols, (as far as I know) none have ever had a real job . . I take that back, one is a retired Teacher . . But again, she has never had to depend upon the private sector for a living . . she still was paid with taxpayers money . . And reading about her, she's gonna spend it . .

Chris Nichols is running as the "Hidden Democrat" . . and we can see how he does things . . Get's one of his opposing candidates thrown out because of the fine print.

And as I said, the rest are part of the zoo, but now want to run it . . Let's see how quickly they get rid of the "Conflict of Interest" ethics code . .

Loren Swelk
09-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Just read the article in the Chieftain about last night's "debate". We're scrooed.

large
09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Add to the "Community Activists", the fact that DiPrince has used Boulder as a point of comparison more than once . . Wonderful!

If you thought the city's finances were a mess, wait till this bunch of redistributors get into office . . we'll have cobblestone streets (close now) because one said they were "Charming" . . and the non profits will have all the money they need . . just as soon as the members of council change the law so that it won't be a conflict of interest . .

large
10-04-2011, 07:06 AM
OK, gotta ask . . Chris Nichols (City Council Candidate at Large) says we should revue our agreement with Black Heart Power and perhaps find a new franchiser or buy them out . . and run the power utility as Colorado Springs does . .

Uhhh, isn't that a tad late? Won't we owe them someplace around $7.2 million in a tax refund that we've already spent?

large
10-05-2011, 08:03 AM
After listening to last night's "Debate", it makes me wonder, "Is this the best we can do?"

It's bad when Larry Francher starts to look like someone you might want to vote for . .

Not saying I would, but . . .

Nichols has a couple of valid points in his criticism of Vera, but his history and potential for being a Nanny or advocating more nannyism is there for everyone to see . .

Vera, on the other hand is at some disadvantage because of, again, history. Mostly involving her part in the spending of every dime the city has gotten, plus some . . and in some areas that might be questionable down the road . . or worse, may need to be recompensed . . But she's only one of seven, and in the minority a good share of the time . .

Problem is, Partisan Politics is beginning to work as a wedge and will not do our council any good at all. Pueblo City and County Democrats seem to be determined to hold control over all local governments.

large
10-16-2011, 06:31 PM
On

Chris Nicol's criticism of Ortegon accepting $400 from Black Heart Utility.

Chris Nicoll, candidate for City Council has been very aggressive in his accusations against sitting Council Member Vera Ortegon for accepting a $400 campaign contribution from Black Hills Energy. Sal Pace, a Democrat, also received the same contribution from Black Hills for his campaign. This was a campaign contribution, not a direct personal financial benefit for either Ortegon or Pace.

What Chris Nicoll is not disclosing; the Nicoll family sold family owned land and or egress rights to Black Hills Energy!! How much did this financial land transaction between Black Hills Energy and the Nicoll family benefit the Nicoll family in dollars?
No one knows.

Be assured it was much more than a $400 bi-partisan campaign contribution.
This smear campaign and hypocrisy against Vera does not sit well with Pueblo citizens.

Loren Swelk
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
What ever happened to the non-partisan election of City Council members? I thought that was one of the tenents of the City Charter.

large
10-17-2011, 07:34 AM
What ever happened to the non-partisan election of City Council members? I thought that was one of the tenents of the City Charter.

Going back almost 20 years, the city employee's unions (Fire, Police, etc.) have been trying to get a foot in the door with a Pro Union Councilmember . . And they have done that more often than not. But in the last 10 years, they seem to have gotten greedy and in the process, enlisted the Pueblo Democratic Party . .

And since Vera Ortegon ran for the State Senate as a Republican the Democrats have declared open season on the council seats . . 5 out of the 7 running are either backed by the Pueblo Democrats or have been active in the Democratic Party . . Francher is the only one not openly afilliated with a political party and he's kind of a loose screw . . Ortegon is probably the only predictable one on the Ballot.

And she has her pros and cons . . .

large
11-02-2011, 08:21 AM
So now what?

Loren Swelk
11-02-2011, 09:45 AM
So now what?

We will just have to wait on two of them to see who the puppeteer's are.

large
11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Well, the Unions bought and paid for one, rented another and may have an eventual fan with the third . . The Non profits have now gained not just a foothold but a couple of seats on the council to the extent that it's almost a conflict of interest . .

I'm gonna bet that before the end of next year there's a sales tax increase to pay for more money for the non profits. It won't be sold that way, but that's where it'll go. It d*mned sure won't be for infrastructure maintenance . .

I also think that there wil be an increase in the bureaucracy. The city employee's are down about a hundred and ten or so and the unions are going to want those slots filled with dues payers . . The Unions already own Steve Nawrocki and now they have bought or rented a majority . . we'll see how that goes . .

What's going to be really interesting is how the feud with Black Heart utilities is going to go . . Vera got blasted and lost based upon her leadership in dealing with Black hills, but there were six other members who went along for the $7.2 million that they offered . . And the $16 Mil from Xcel before that . . .

And while we're discussing the Council, how about the City manager Jerry Pacheco and the Pickleslicer . . . ?

rbowman838
11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I too keep asking the question, "Are these the only people who want to run for office anymore?" It would be so refreshing to have candidates that we as a community could be proud of. Watching them debate is a painful experience. Then we they are elected, it is painful to watch them try to function as community leaders. Where are our charismatic individuals who are bright, humble, honest, and willing to take a stand on difficult issues. Now that the election is over, we have again proved that we prefer to elect activists who sit on the wrong side of common sense. I would like to put out signs on each end of town which read:"Help Wanted for Pueblo: Only real leaders need apply!"

Sandra
11-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I would run, myself, but I wouldn't be able to afford the job!

large
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I too keep asking the question, "Are these the only people who want to run for office anymore?" It would be so refreshing to have candidates that we as a community could be proud of. Watching them debate is a painful experience. Then we they are elected, it is painful to watch them try to function as community leaders. Where are our charismatic individuals who are bright, humble, honest, and willing to take a stand on difficult issues. Now that the election is over, we have again proved that we prefer to elect activists who sit on the wrong side of common sense. I would like to put out signs on each end of town which read:"Help Wanted for Pueblo: Only real leaders need apply!"

OK, why wouldn't I want to run . . ? First, for a non partisan City Council Seat, it's very hard to raise enough money to compete with those like Nichols who are supported by the Pueblo Democratic party, and all the City Enployee's Unions . . Actually when I say supported, I mean "Owned" if and when office is attained . . Chris Nichols had almost twice as much money as did Ortegon, and Francher had none . .all Francher did was split the vote that ortegon would have gotten the most of.

However, had Francher not run, Nichols still had enough votes to win, again, because of his money and high profile. Also, he has taken several stabs at public office and voting issues . . Practice makes perfect.

Had I run for Aguliera's seat . . against either, or both, I would have had, again, the unions and the Democratic Party to deal with. Not to mention, Daff getting the endorsement of Ray hisself . . . The only saving grace might have been a split vote, but Bessemer is a pretty big Democratic stronghold, and while the Council races are (again) supposed to be non-partisan, they really aren't . . I'd have lost, simply because I could not have told those people what they wanted to hear.

Lastly, In the 45-50 years or so that I've lived in Pueblo, I've been no angel . . I've been divorced a few times and a lot of my experience has been gained the hard way . . No Governor would have ever pardoned me, although I never needed one . . Thank God! But I can promise you, the opposition would have come up with pictures of former family with a couple of goats photoshopped in . . On all that, I'd certainly pass . .

BUT . . And I know this for a fact, Those elected to the Council and the County Commisioners read this board and the newspapers editorials, and I know I've influenced several issues with both current and former councilpersons . . as you others up here have also . .

They do hear us, even if they don't admit to it . . .

Loren Swelk
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Vera took her ball and went home I guess, a no show at the work session last night.

large
11-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, lessee . . She's a "Lame Duck", defeated by becoming the single target for blame involving Black Hills and their price increases, although several others, including the term limited President of the council, Packrat, refuse to step forward and take their share of the blame.

Packrat made the front page of the Metro section yesterday when he testified at the PUC meeting that Black Hills rates were terrible, although they had spent money in the community while building their power plants on newly annexed properties and had, indeed paid $7.5 Million in taxes up front.

What he (or anyone else) failed to say is that Black Hills told Council, at the beginning of their negotiations, two years ago, that the construction costs would be passed on to the consumers and that increase would amount to 30 to 35 % . . I'm assuming they either blew that off, forgot about it, or thought that they could eventually get around it, one way or another. And, I believe that I made note of the upcoming price increases in this forum (another City Council Thread) at the time . . Not that I'm a genius or anything, but knowing that when a company or corporation incurs cost to provide a product, they generally pass it on to the consumer. And it was noted by others, writing about it's future effect, that when the power plants were finished, Pueblo's citizens would go from paying one of the lowest utility bills to paying the highest in the state . .

Council apparently ignored this or was blinded by the chance to spend another $10 or 12 Million dollars . .

Which they have . .

Now the new guys (Kaufman and Nichols, who isn't quite a Councilmember yet) want to cry "Foul" and rescind the whole deal, favoring finding a new power supplier . .

Good Luck, guys, we'll be sitting right here in the dark waiting for your solutions . . .

large
11-11-2011, 07:53 AM
And . . Again . . .

What of Pueblo City Manager Jerry Pacheco and the Pickleslicer? (HR Director Walker)

This has turned into a soap opera on the TV news, but nary a whisper up here . . Christ, I'd have thought Loren, Chuckie and Nattering would've jumped, wit first, into this fray and foo foo ra . . .

Not to mention the nepotism charges in the lower echelons of the city's employees . .

Loren Swelk
11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
You asked why I haven't replied, it is because I am disgusted. Disgusted that a qualified city manager was fired without adequate cause. Disgusted that instead of doing a search for a replacement (which would have cost money) they hired a person who would kneel at the throne of the council. Disgusted that the for 7.5 million dollars the council flopped down on their back like a $2 whore. Disgusted that partisan politics have ruined the city council, a ruination from which it will never recover. Disgusted that most use the council only as a steppinng stone to some other political office which pays more money or will provide a wider audience in which to spread their beneficence. Disgusted that Angela Giron can use the power of her office to settle a long forgotten grudge. Disgusted the two of the three newly elected council members are so beholden to their benefactors that they already have their blinders on. Disgusted that there is little hope for the city of Pueblo to succeed because of council members who do nothing but worship the golden calf and are no more than marionettes in a play with strings being pulled behind the scene. Disgusted that Jerry Pacheco has so little regard for the people of the city of Pueblo that he can smear not only his reputation, but plaster us all over the evening news. Disgusted that the Council sticks their head in the sand over the whole sordid affair. How can the number one city employee hire his married girlfriend (while he is still married), 10 months later lavish on her a sizeable bonus and make her employee of the year? Disgusted he can destroy emails, texts and other communicative devices related to such and then have the city attorney say he did nothing wrong. Partisan politics will ruin the city of Pueblo. Well that about does it except for Ray Aguilera's mistaken idea that the citizen's of Pueblo remember his original stance on Black Hills, not his wail as of late about rising energy costs.

rdajai
11-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Is the name large an envy or compensation thing or what? I have been monitoring this site for months and most of your dribble is based on misinformation... You can not be taken seriously as you do not take the time to research the facts or even worst may know the facts but not add them because it does not help your position. Case in point, you carelessly submitted the far rights un-investigated assertion that the newest at-large council member Chris Nicoll profitted from the sale of sliver of land to Black Hills Energy. If you took the time to do your homework you would have found out that it was not the Nicolls family who purchased or were forced to sell the easement to Black Hills or face condemnation and eminent domain laws. The land sale occurred via a marraige relationship not a direct arrangement to the Nicolls family. Trying to connect that land transaction to councilman-elect Chris Nicoll was irresponsible, intentionally dishonest and sloppy. Before you run off to the blogs to push the local gossip research your facts and do us all a favor and change your blog handle to "medium" it's more accurate..

Sandra
11-12-2011, 11:39 AM
rdajai, could you have made your point without the personal attack?

Loren Swelk
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Large don't let the facts in the way of your rant!

Large replied to a quote. Did you research who made the original quote? I have been unable to find it.

I will say that you have been a member of the Forum for nearly 2-1/2 years and only posted 5 times, you seem to be lurking more than participating.

MTDismuke
11-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Is the name large an envy or compensation thing or what? I have been monitoring this site for months and most of your dribble is based on misinformation... You can not be taken seriously as you do not take the time to research the facts or even worst may know the facts but not add them because it does not help your position. Case in point, you carelessly submitted the far rights un-investigated assertion that the newest at-large council member Chris Nicoll profitted from the sale of sliver of land to Black Hills Energy. If you took the time to do your homework you would have found out that it was not the Nicolls family who purchased or were forced to sell the easement to Black Hills or face condemnation and eminent domain laws. The land sale occurred via a marraige relationship not a direct arrangement to the Nicolls family. Trying to connect that land transaction to councilman-elect Chris Nicoll was irresponsible, intentionally dishonest and sloppy. Before you run off to the blogs to push the local gossip research your facts and do us all a favor and change your blog handle to "medium" it's more accurate..

Post more Rdajai and join the discussions. I got the 'who the heck is this' treatment when I first started posting. Don't let it run you off, I welcome your opinion.

large
11-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh that's OK, he's a person who, apparently doesn't follow what the newspaper prints . . My opinion was shaped, in it''s entirety, by the article published in the Chieftain . . Y'want to chew on somebody, try starting with Steve Henson and then working your way up to Bob Rawlings . . let's see how successful you are . .

I'd also ask, rdajai, did he see any of his story in the paper? I didn't . . I did see a lame explanation by Nicolls after the prime article came out, but it had little or no fact attached and more than a bit of venom, so I just considered it as an Amateur Politician trying to cover his @ss . . That happens a lot to "Crusaders" . .

And as for rdajai's "Attack" . . He's probably one of Nichol's minions who were smearing Otegon, or worse, one of Giron's staff . .

And before you get froggy, rdajai, remember, as I've said before, I'm just like the "Wrestling Bear" . . I'll play just as rough as you want to . . If it bothers Chris Nicoll he can call, write or whatever. You're just a anonymous mouthpiece with a bad attitude . . thus, anything coming from you will get little respect and lots of ridicule . .

And Chris might be better off with this forum on his side, if that's possible, because letters from unknown flunkies tend to come back and bite the councilman in the @ss down the road aways . .

Go ask Packrat . . . or Randy Thurston . . just to name a couple . .

And while we're on that subject (Packrat), this morning I was in Lowe's buying some plumbing stuff and lo and behold, Here's Mr. Aguilera. My long time buddy.

And he gets right to the bone: "Large, why are you on my @ss all the time? What did I ever do to you?"

I said; "Ray, you became a "Politician" and not a very good one. You compromised on things you shouldn't have, you spent money on monuments to you and the rest of Council, You made decisions based on less than no information or facts, You all voted for the Black Hills deal, spent the money, then stood by as a two bit amateur politician smeared one of your members for leading the voting, and after being told at the outset that the deal would lead to 30% plus price increases, you have the audicity to now whine about it in a headline and say it's not good for Pueblo. That's just the frosting on top of the pile of crap. I can still be your friend, but I'll still say you were wrong."

He walked away without salutation . .

Again, and this is no pat on my shoulder, but to all of you who come up here and voice your opinions . . We are heard . .

large
11-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Adding to the above, just for fun . . .

Before you run off to the blogs to push the local gossip research your facts and do us all a favor and change your blog handle to "medium" it's more accurate..

Another note . . it's fairly obvious you either haven't lurked much or don't read well . . or "gather facts" . .

"Large" is a Nom de Plume so to speak, as among other things, I'm a working artist . . But if you have a problem with it, take it for granted that it means "more than you can handle" . . There's no sexual connotations about it, and obviously that would probably be some sort of disappointment for you . .

large
11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
A note about the "Quote" . . Actually, it didn't come from the Chieftain, although their article paraphrased it. It came from a "Tea Party" source countering Chris Nicoll's paint job of Ortegon, posted by Nicolls on his web site and released to the news media as well as used in several of his campaign speeches.

In actuality, the quote holds far more truth than Nicoll's accusations, which failed to point to other Council Members and past presidents who were as deep in the muck as was Ortegon in the mire . . That being said, I will maintain that the Chieftain's report was as inclusive, although longer than the quote I posted. And I'll stand by it.

In reply to the statement or fact that it wasn't Nicoll or his immediate family who received the $45k for the property, it's still "Family" . . currently Nicoll is muddying the water about City Manager Pacheco's nepotism and dealings with another of the City Executives, which is just fine with me. But he's still "Just a Citizen" not a "J. Edgar Elect" who seems to believe that being elected entitles him to become a crusader before he assumes the seat that would enable him to do so . . . And he's throwing rocks at somebody else's "Glass house" . .

Based on that, Mr. Nicolls hasn't learned much in the time he's been in local politics . . But he still plays the dirty tricks game. Let's see what kind of record he builds during his tenure as City Councilman . . I'm betting that it will be "Two Steps backward" along with the rest of the Community Activists . . But I am hoping otherwise . .

A note to rdajai. If you intend to speak for Mr. Nicolls, you must remember, what goes around comes around. And it seems that you have, both in this thread and one you started a couple of years ago when your messiah was campaigning for the "Strong Mayor" deal. Perhaps discussion might be a better way of doing it rather than attacking my "Drivel' . . With your "Drivel" . .

large
11-14-2011, 08:28 AM
KOAATV is hammering away at it . .

The Chieftain is ignoring it . . . .

So what's all the fuss about? Last night KOAATV had Jerry Pacheco's estranged wife on the tube, telling what she claims to know about her ex-Husband's wanderings and trysts . . Which, in actuality, isn't much. But for a wife, I guess it's enough. Although, she alleges, that Jerry is using his position as City Manager to harass her and her family, meaning, I assume his in laws who are employed by the City of Pueblo, and there seems to be several . .

On the other hand, is it really anybody's business but the Pacheco's? That seems to be the tack the Paper is taking and apparently waiting for more than a "She said, He said" report . .

And . . I'm really surprised that it hasn't drawn more comment up here . .

And I do know you're "Disgusted", Loren . . Me too . . But I think, once the new council members take their seats it's only going to get moreso . .

And, according to KOAATV, this is going to be addressed at the City Council Meeting tonight . . I may buy a ticket . . .

rdajai
11-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Hey Large... I appreciate the banter but the real issue here is that you truly believe that your rants in this obscure blog somehow has an affect on the course of city council's actions... PLEASE...

I don't want to burst your Hindenburg sized balloon but this site is not much more than an excercise in venting. Even though, you seem awful quick to criticize any member who has the stones to think for themselves and has a different opinion than yours.. It's the same kind of false bravado you espouse here and also try to bully the candidates who have the metal to run for office while you sit in the blog shadows sniping at them, even before their even sworn in! How dare they run with out getting permission from you first... Give me a break... I am proud to defend Mr. Nicoll and any other candidate that has put themselves front and center and have to take fire from ghost bloggers like yourself. Large try to keep these digital interactions in perspective and work on getting you ego undo control before you self combust and we have little pieces of "large" splattered all over cyber space...

large
11-15-2011, 07:43 AM
A little more about the Anonymous sources and quotes. It seems that "Crusader Rabbit(Chris Nicolls)" has taken the innuendoes of an anonymous letter and demanded an investigation based upon it . . A letter he apparently received or was shown by KOAATV.

And he, and his tool, Alvin Rivera, are stirring up mud at the City Council meetings and on TV. Their apparent 15 minutes of fame . . And in the process, Nicolls has certainly made a lot of friends on the council . . I'm sure . . although, not, according to the article in this morning's Chieftain . .

And, while there's things I might tend to agree with Nicolls about, his methods of campaigning, his belief in the Nanny State, and his general demaeanor tells me he's not going to do well when consensus or copmpromise is needed . . and it will be . .

As for my anonymous detractor . . You're just that, with the inane stupidity of accusing me of "False Bravado" . . You know who I am and how to find me . . If you don't, you're even stupider than your accusations . . I'm not hiding in "The Blog Shadows", you are . . . And while you might belittle this forum, apparently you and the guy who is using you as a tool, reads it and cares what's said . . or you wouldn't be running your mouth from the dark . .

Man up, come out and tell us who YOU are and what your agenda actually is . .

rdajai
11-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Hey "medium" for such a long time "SENIOR" member you sure are touchy. You have no problem throwing denigrations around like a rag doll but when someone challenges you go ballistic...

I am amazed just how uninformed you are about how this town is wired and the power players who manipulate it for their own greed... You can spout out all you want but if you want to play Status Quo Man and defend the likes of Vera then make sure you can fly because she'll be the first one to throw you off the roof should ever question some of her tactics

Sorry I touched a raw nerve but I only have one agenda.... it's you...

large
11-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey "medium" for such a long time "SENIOR" member you sure are touchy. You have no problem throwing denigrations around like a rag doll but when someone challenges you go ballistic...

I am amazed just how uninformed you are about how this town is wired and the power players who manipulate it for their own greed... You can spout out all you want but if you want to play Status Quo Man and defend the likes of Vera then make sure you can fly because she'll be the first one to throw you off the roof should ever question some of her tactics

Sorry I touched a raw nerve but I only have one agenda.... it's you...

Let's see, so far you have chastized me for doing exactly what the guy You have your nose in has done several times. However apparently my information was better than Nicoll's, because the paper printed the storyline I posted. not so much yours . . Especially the part in your first piece that accused me of using anonymous and unsupported accusations against Nicolls. Not so much, and today's paper stands on the allegation that Nicolls has demanded an investigation based upon an anonymous Letter, purported to have come from City Manger Pacheco's wife . . That's in print, pal . . .

On the Dr. Alvin Rivera as an accomplice and tool . . twice times now, he has been guilty of advancing an agenda that assists Nicolls. It doesn't pass the smell test . . And I know Alvin personally, he's a little warped when it comes to being an advocate for Nicolls . . (I've told him that personally)

As for being informed . . you haven't EVER posted anything showing any knowledge of who, what or where . . or, as far as I can tell, have never influenced any member of City Council . . I can sat that I have, several times . . Whether you would like what I've done, that's your problem . . which, apparently it is . .

And, the last sentence of your post tells me (and the readers) all they need to know. This is a personal attack and has little to do with anything else . .

rdajai
11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey Medium... If you really read the Chieftain article the first thing you should have noticed was the lame headline Roper used to mislead the reader to think the story was just about the false alarm issue. Two thirds of the story is about Pacheco. The Chieftain has also written articles in favor of Pacheco. They recently wrote an editorial touting him as an excellent city manager.

Secondly, Roper tried to lead the reader to believe that the council could do an unbiased investigation and then listed the options they had at their disposal as outlined in the charter. If you were astute you'd recognize this a camoflagued attempt by the Chieftain to push the council to vote for an in-house investigation. The Chieftain knows that a full fledged independent outside investigation would blow the lid off of city hall and shine the sunlight on all the corruption that has been percolating in that cauldron for the past 60 years.

You should also know that the Chieftain is the major culprit behind the City's woes and they have been complicited in manipulating soft councilman to pass pet projects on behalf of their favorite power players for decades. If you don't think thats true, then look at all the greenfield projects that have recieved millions via TIF funds from the Urban Renewal which is set up to buffer the council and to do all their real estate purchases and subsequent financing. In this years election the Chieftain didn't have the republican candidates to play with so they opted to find one weak minded council-person (D-Montoya) who's head they dunked into their endorsement barrel of ink so she would the vote the "right" way. Of course the "right" way is usually on behalf the of the same old ring of developers who use our tax money to fund their projects. The Chieftains other "beholden" endorsement pick for this round of elections was Sandy Daff who was brought in by Aguilera whom of you recall got a governors pardon thanks to the Chieftain's support. If you do the math, adding two more controlled votes to the last standing other controlled vote of Weaver (Jame Rawlings best friend) then you have 1/3 of the council in the Chieftains pocket. The only hope left is that Daff will eventually rely on her own intelligence and find her voice in time and vote on the merits of the issue rather than the platform of the Chieftain. So really who is beholden to whom?

If you are so plugged in please explain how the old "brownfield projects" like the Peppersauce Bottoms Project has yet to recieve funds to fix "El Bario" that has been drowning in flood water for the past 65 years? Why does most of the east-side still have an inadequate storm sewer system? Why does the oldest neighborhood homes flood when the August rains hit? Yet the Chieftain-influenced councils (past and current) can fund the newer greenfield projects through Urban Renewal via the tax incremental financing (TIF) mechanism for projects like Marriott Hotel, Cambria Suites, The Harp Project, The Convention Center, Sangre De Cristo Arts and Conference Center) while the brownfield projects are are put on hold again. How can the council in good conscience vote for even newer projects to fund such as the remodeling of city hall, invest tax money to run a racetrack,and again reprioritiize the older brownfield projects to the bottom of the list? The only issue these brownfield area residents want resolved is when and how they can finally declare themselves dry? I know you said you live in Bessemer and I hope for your sake its uphill.

large
11-17-2011, 07:23 AM
If you don't like the paper's views, start your own . . I do notice that you have few, if any, qualms about using their forum to attack others who have, in your eyes, mal-aligned your apparent messiah, Chris Nicoll. A little hypocritical here, aren't you?

It's pretty apparent you haven't read any of my postings about City Council's actions, their spending on Cadillac projects when they can't even fix the potholes or water the grass in the parks they've had for a hundred years . . And I name names, write letters to the Council members and go to council meetings when the need calls for it . . Although I do keep a lower and more civil profile than does Alvin or Ted . . Do You?

It's also very obvious that you don't seem to understand that just as water doesn't run uphill, neither does tax revenues . . And, while over the years I have changed my opinion to a degree about where city money is spent, you still have to maintain the attraction for more revenue. That being the case, those who pay the least or none at all are always on the bottom of the waiting list . . If you choose to live where the property taxes are negligable, you pay the price in receiving the least of the services those taxes bring you . . That's how it is and will always be . . Unless the socialists take over . . Are you one of those?

As for the Brownfield issue . . Are you their only spokesman? And do you only come out to harass me about it? I didn't see you bitching about the overruns on the Police Building, the City Hall two years ago or, speaking of PMP, either the attempted donation to a corporation that intended to leave the place in ruins or, the current overkill and failure to put the park in the hands of experienced promoters and management. Where were you, BEFORE THE FACT?

And let's look at this from another angle . . You say:
Yet the Chieftain-influenced councils (past and current) can fund the newer greenfield projects through Urban Renewal via the tax incremental financing (TIF) mechanism for projects like Marriott Hotel, Cambria Suites, The Harp Project, The Convention Center, Sangre De Cristo Arts and Conference Center) while the brownfield projects are are put on hold again. My answer to that is, those people you are speaking of as being neglected, use all of those things you have mentioned and if they don't they are truly hermits and have little redeeming character (which they aren't and do have character). Add to that, without all those horrible things you have named, would Pueblo be better off if we had less of those things (or none at all) but had shinier Ghettos . . ? Part of the problem with the neighborhoods you have mentioned as neglected is the fact that a lot of those who live there neglect them the most . . Are you part of that problem?

Plus . . The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. Council, every year, has to deal with the granting of money to the non-profits who justify the city's largesse in many ways and needs . . Or wants, depending upon how you view it . . How much do you benefit from the non profits?

As for Daff and Packrat, as I've said, while she might have been the lesser of two evils, she's still a Democrat and a Community Activist . . Packrat? He had to endorse somebody to keep his finger in the political pie . . Remember, his biggest fault, besides thinking his constituents are stupid, is that he's become a "Politician" . . I've told him that to his face . . Have You?

Bottom line, apparently you don't have as much a problem with me as you seem to have with the Pueblo Chieftain. Perhaps you need to attack Bob Rawlings and his staff rather than me . .

Ya Think?

large
11-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I couldn't let this one sit . .
If you are so plugged in please explain how the old "brownfield projects" like the Peppersauce Bottoms Project has yet to recieve funds to fix "El Bario" that has been drowning in flood water for the past 65 years?

There was a comment about water running uphill . . The City of Pueblo could buy the property and buy those people new hoiuses elsewhere before they could put in "Storm Drains" in that particular area. Any excavation six to seven feet deep in that area becomes a well in a matter of minutes. The "Midtown Shopping Center" building has three 300 GPM pumps, with at least one running to full capacity all the time with, generally a second running over half the time . . just to keep the water out of the Bowling Alley . .

Were you to bury a 4' diameter pipe at code specified levels, most of the time it would try to float, and when drainage was needed (as per their last flood) a Four foot drainage pipe wouldn't have sufficed! It's really hard to maintain a drainage system when it's below the water table . . and expensive . . Would it be fair to tack $4 a month onto everyone's water bill to drain about 20 acres of what should be flood plain?

And . . the two largest property owners there or directly adjacent to Peppersauce bottoms is . . . Louie Carleo and the Pueblo Chieftain . .

Now if this was as corrupt as you say it is, and the Paper is one of those corruptors, dontcha think they'd make sure thier property was drained at the taxpayer's expense? . . I wouldn't call you a liar, but I think you're fulla crap . .

On the other hand, Urban Renewal is misused in many instances in Pueblo by the Reever . . Virgin Prairie doesn't really qualify, unless the DeRose's own it . . .

rdajai
11-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Yo' Medium... did I touch another nerve or what? ... I knew I could draw you out, it was just a matter of time before you exposed the heartless blowhard that you really are...

First let's look at your latest quote: "I didn't see you bitching about the overruns on the Police Building, the City Hall two years ago or, speaking of PMP, either the attempted donation to a corporation that intended to leave the place in ruins or, the current overkill and failure to put the park in the hands of experienced promoters and management. Where were you, BEFORE THE FACT"

If you weren't so full of yourself you'd see these are the exact positions taken from the Nicoll campaign... the same guy you call the Messiah? Take a little time to appreciate that you might not be the only human being on the planet who might have a good idea or two... And maybe ...just maybe one of those guys could actually be a councilman and that you might end up appreciating and should I say it ... respecting... Try and have a little faith in people instead of the constant denigrating that you have perfected.

All the followers of this blog will finally see that what you really care about... in ths second rant that is so tellling "...those who pay the least or none at all are always on the bottom of the waiting list . . If you choose to live where the property taxes are negligable, you pay the price in receiving the least of the services those taxes bring you. That's how it is and will always be . .."
It's pretty obvious your looking down from your elitist perch and that the almighty Large has decided that those that live in the poorest neighborhoods have chosen to live there... and they deserve to receive less than those who live uptown... DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS CLASS BS? Who the hell would chose to live in squalor if they could get out of the bario and have the chance to live in a nicer neighborhood? You need to stop drinking the "It's All About Large" Kool Aid and volunteer this Thanksgiving at the shelter and feed a couple of those kids who have no choice to live where Mom and maybe a Dad call home... It would serve you well to remember this phrase "there but for the grace of god go I" because your one job or a catastrophic event away from ending up in the same "least served" areas that you scoff at... Shame on you...

and by the way don't forget to kick Tiny Tim's cane out from under him during Christmas... (he probably deserves it, cause he chose to be a cripple) Happy Holidays!

large
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
There's no "Class War" here pal, just hard fact that a socialist like you can't understand . .

When you go to a concert, and pay for the $5 seats, you don't get the same treatment that you get if you buy the $50 seats . . And if you choose to live in a flood plain with a water table at 10 feet or less, there's little you can do to drain it unless you can defy the laws of Physics . .

As for the charges of being an "Elitist". There's nothing "Elitist" about me, but I do understand economics a hell of a lot better than apparently you . . And I live in a neighborhood that has home owners who take pride in their homes and properties, and yet there are several families that apparently feel that trash bags (and junk) should be considered yard decoration and home upkeep is something the County is obliged to do . . and they generally complain the loudest about lack of government provided services . . Why is that? Are they incapable of doing what the rest of the neighborhood is able to do?

And with your Messiah, Nicolls, maybe it's not what he said a lot of the time, but how he said it, and who he was trying to impress when he said it. Plus, he was the sparkplug on the No Smoking in public deal . . I don't smoke, but I don't like the idea of someone who thinks he''s better than those who do, being able to dictate to others through Government legislation while lying about the ability to enforce the law he's demanding. And we can include his Faux Paus in the "Strong Mayor" debacle . . You see, I believe Chris Nicolls is an "Elitist" . .

Want a "Strong Mayor"? Move to the Springs . . And be careful what you wish for . .

As for "being the only guy with an idea" . . Hardly . . But, when you attend City Council meetings or watch them on TV, you can readily see that few if any on the council are prepared to knowledgably vote on much of anything that comes before them . . The record that the Pueblo City Council has compiled on making "Knowledgable Decisions" is very scant . . Going back 6 or 7 years . . Actually more . .

Most have turned out to be debacles with many unintended consequences that many observers (not just me) have spoken out about before, during and after, with little or no attention being paid . . Probably one of the most flagrant was, and continues to be, is the Black Hills Utilities agreement. Your Boy pilloried Ortegon on the issue but let the rest go. Ignored them. And they responded. Packrat voted for it, and sat through all the discussions, and yet has either the balls or ignorance to stand in front of the PUC committee and whine about them raising the rates. Like he didn't know it wasn't going to happen. And they told the whole Council they were going to on first presentation. Is that "Politics" or Ignorance?

Without compiling a complete list of their malfunctions, I can say that most of their major policy decisions (SDS, The Police Building, The City Hall Remodel, Pueblo Motorsports Park, Comanche, Black Hills, just to name a few) have all ended up over budget, or nowhere near what they had wanted, or both, and in all cases, they all want a "Do Over" . . Ain't happening . . But in every case, in conversation, they have said that they made the best decisions based upon the information they had at the time . . No way . .

Now they have a "Soap Opera" running, one that they cannot seem to control, and again, Your Boy isn't doing anything to help . . orher than "Grandstanding" . . Nicoll's is in a kind of situation. As a Councilman-Elect he'd do well to maintain a low profile, keep Dr. Alvin quiet and wait until he has the complete insight to do something about it as a Councilman. Were he "Joe Citizen", like either you or I, he could demand all kinds of things and can plead ignorance if his sources turn out to be less than truthful or complete . . Instead of presenting an "Anonymous Letter" and basing his complaint on that . . We already have 7 Councilmembers who function on less than fact . . Did we elect another?

As for Tiny Tim, if his dad can talk his boss into giving him Christmas Day off, that's cool. I don't have a hell of a lot of say about that. And if he lives in Peppersauce bottoms or in the projects, I'd bet his X-Box or Wii is better'n mine, has more games and a bigger TV to view it with . . I just hope I didn't have to pay for it . . But I'd bet I helped . . Life ain't Fair, but socialists like you want "Somebody else" to pay for your idea of Utopia. Remember what M.Thatcher said, "Socialism is a great concept, until you run out of somebody else's money" (Paraphrased). . . . .

rdajai
11-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Yo' Medium, how did you get so "all knowing? And what up is with your obsession with those you label as "community activists". It's time to come up with another target because you obviously envy this crowd... try something else man.. it's redundant and so are your lame arguments against them...

Do you even know what the term socialist means... just because people look after each other does not make them a socialist.

Do you know what famous socialist proposed these items?:
Lower and middle income Americans need more help. (Jan 2008)
Require 40 hours work per week from welfare recipients. (Nov 2004)
Supports block grants, welfare-to-work, state control. (Jan 2000)
Anti-poverty shared by gov’t & faith-based orgs. (Jan 2000)
List unoccupied HUD-owned homes, & give them away. (Feb 1999)
Use tax code to address unemployment & working conditions. (Jul 1998)
More housing assistance; tax breaks against homelessness. (Jul 1998)
Pro-block grants; pro-welfare-to-work. (Jul 1998)
Voted YES on instituting National Service as a new social invention. (Mar 2009)
Voted YES on welfare block grants. (Aug 1996)
Voted NO on eliminating block grants for food stamps. (Jul 1996)
Voted YES on allowing state welfare waivers. (Jul 1996)
Voted YES on welfare overhaul. (Sep 1995)
Fully fund AmeriCorps. (Jun 2003)
GIVE UP YOUR LARGENESS? Try the famous John McCain!

Another conservative you may have heard George W Bush coined the phrase "compassionate conservative", ever hear it? Jack Kemp was a strong conservative yet he felt his party could do a better job helping the poor them the dems.

According to a recent article ..." George Bush I, signed the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990 that prohibited discrimination of people with disabilities and required public buildings to be redesigned to include entrances that provided access for the disabled.

The most recent conservative president George W. Bush continued to grow the federal government. He signed Medicare Part D into law in 2003 and it subsidized the costs of prescription drugs for Medicare recipients. The No Child Left Behind Act, which he signed in 2001, increased federal funding of education. Most recently he led the way for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (aka TARP) in the fall of 2003"....

Wow can you imagine that... Bush a socialist or perhaps he was just a caring human being who had a conscience and courage to do the right thing when it came time...

Yo' Medium when are you going to do right thing and have the courage and apologize to those less fortunate than you... C'mon you can do it ....It takes a really LARGE man to admit it and god knows you already own the moniker.

Did you really think you could spout this judgemental garbage about those less fortunate than you without getting called on it?. Read your own words and tell me this it's not class warfare! "And if he lives in Peppersauce bottoms or in the projects, I'd bet his X-Box or Wii is better'n mine, has more games and a bigger TV to view it with . . I just hope I didn't have to pay for it . . But I'd bet I helped . . Life ain't Fair, but socialists like you want "Somebody else" to pay for your idea of Utopia. Remember what M.Thatcher said, "Socialism is a great concept, until you run out of somebody else's money"e[/U]

How the hell can you paint everyone with the same brush and then the best qualifier you can up with is "I bet they have" with out really knowing much about thing your talking about. Some; but I can assure not most of these folks don't have an X-box in every home or a Wii that is better than yours... how ignorant are you man?... Do think this crap your yacking makes you look like a big man... In actuality it makes you look very sad... Not everyone who live in less affluent neighborhoods deserve the type of life which they are subject. Sometimes their lot in life may change to circumstances out of their control... such as an expensive illness or catastophic event that can reshuffle their lives and station in life.

I really feel sorry for you Medium and now that I have been able to out you and have you reveal your true colors my work here may be done...

Sandra
11-19-2011, 05:15 AM
:popcorn:

large
11-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, must've gotten under the Socialist's skin . .

Heheheheheheh . . . . The only leg he has to stand on is very short . . .

Sandra
11-20-2011, 08:34 AM
This thread has had a severe thread drift. The drifted threads have been moved to the thread drift topic (https://pueblocommunityforums.com/showthread.php?t=3535&page=4).

Marc.N
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I think the socialist part of the discussion is relevant. For those of socialist bent who like to point out Canada as a model I submit:

Celebrated author Peter C. Newman set out to write a book about the coronation of Michael Ignatieff as prime minister, a prospect that failed to materialize on May 2 and was permanently extinquished when Ignatieff stepped down as Liberal leader a day later.

....Newman's new book, When The Gods Changed: The Death of Liberal Canada.....

.....“They should be called opportunists because they had turned it from a cause into a job,"...

Newman says he thinks the Liberal Party, as it is now, is unable to recover.

"They have no power base. Every political party must have a power base — geographic base where they feel at home, where they can relax, do policy stuff. They have 34 seats, all scattered," said Newman. "They’ve lost their Toronto fortress, their Maritime fortress and Quebec fortress and they haven’t been out west in awhile."

large
11-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Y'kno . . The "Jerry Pacheco" thing has caused the Council to put in more hours, by far, than they have on any other decision making process, with, perhaps, the exception or the IGA with El Paso County on the SDS project . . and they got that one wrong . .

What does all this tell us?

large
11-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Moved from City Manager's Woes thread . . quoting post #28

And, if you cling to the letter of the law, he probably didn't . . But none of it passes the smell test . . . and politically, for the Council, they've become "Damaged Goods" . . .

If a little sleaze is OK, what's next?

Which comes "Just in time" for three new members, who can claim, at least, "Purity" from the last bunch's malfunctions and faulty oversight. For a while they'll be able to be "Holier than thou" and push their agendas without a lot of political pushback . . Until, they too, get bit by the "Unintended Consequences" of their agendas . .

Sandra
11-23-2011, 07:49 AM
What are your thoughts about Chris Nicolls' new website (http://www.chieftain.com/nicoll-starts-website-for-government-abuse/article_af2ecbae-159b-11e1-847b-001cc4c002e0.html) to report local government abuse?

large
11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Sounds like we have a real crusader here . . Which will probably not turn out to do much but initially glorify Nicolls politically . .

As a City Councilman-elect, Nicolls is appearing to want to micro-manage the City's obligated and chartered operations . . Which will cause him to be constantly at war with the rest of Council and the executive management . .

And . . it would seem to be politics and muckraking rather than a clean up move, because? The City employees are represented by a Union who, as part of their contract with the City, provides the proper channel for legitimate greviances. Thus, he will be at odds, also, with the Union who represents those who he's courting for "Ethics Violations" . .

Mr. Nicoll's "Ethics" are, once again in question here . . because one has to wonder, looking at the past, what, actually will Chris Nicolls do for political reasons? It is suspected that He has pulled off several political "Dirty tricks" in his several campaigns . . And this just amounts to another trick to keep him in the forefront politically.

It will probably bite him in the @ss eventually.

Sandra
11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I agree that it could him in the butt eventually, but my questions, which I asked in the comments (if they get published) are more along the lines of who does he plan to turn complaints over to for investigation? What process does he have in place to address complaints? Who is the acting authority?

My thinking is that he may have jumped the gun a little. I think it's a great idea to have a task force, but isn't that pretty much what Alvin and his sidekick are already doing?

While it may seem like a good idea to have a tip line - when we consider how City Council is already voting on this thing with Jerry - I don't expect he's going to see a whole lot of success and I would be surprised if Council isn't somehow offended by this. Not a good note for a new guy to start his term on.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think he's necessarily doing it to be political, I think his heart is in the right place, but unless he has a plan in place for how to address and resolve the complaints he's receiving, then his attempt is going to be ineffective.

large
11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think he's necessarily doing it to be political, I think his heart is in the right place, but unless he has a plan in place for how to address and resolve the complaints he's receiving, then his attempt is going to be ineffective.

Nah, if it weren't politics, He'd have sat quietly until he could take his seat on the council, and then . . exerted what power he has . . which as an "At large" Council Member, carries a little extra weight in the chamber . .

Also, as a Council Member you can make suggestions and be taken seriously . . not so much as a Councilman-elect and a Democrat Rabble Rouser . . You might note, only Garcia and Nawrocki, both card carrying Democrats objected to the council's decision and wanted an independent investigation.

One might also note that neither of the two were on the council when Pacheco was given the in house promotion . . And although nothing has been said by either, perhaps they aren't overwhelmed by Jerry's performance before or after the soap opera opened . .

But, this is pretty much speculation or an educated guess based upon what's been said by all parties involved . .

large
12-10-2012, 09:45 AM
On Chris Nicol's announced new web site last year, "Pueblo Ethics Watch" . . Nothing, Nada, Nyet, Zip, Zero . . . Pure political BS. Perhaps he did have the intentions but we all know, "the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions" and other than his public announcement, just before he occipied his seat on the City Council, he did NOTHING. At least that's public record.

And . . After four years and $7 million dollars, we have yet to see the plywood taken off the windows of Pueblo's City Hall. Apparently Washington, D.C. isn't the only place a $2.5 million dollar refurbish can turn into a never ending Money Pit . . Probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the City Council Members to quit asking for fur toilet seats and the sort . . I guess it would have been a good Idea for pacheco, when he was the City manager and recommending the overhaul, to just call HGTV's "Love it or List it" and get it done, or sold. Which ever . .

Another 4 year project the old "Non-Partisan" Council envisioned, "The Pueblo Motorsports Park Enterprise Project" is, in the eyes of the "New" City Council, something they want no part of. The "Old" City Council spent over a million dollars (In four years) remodeling and repaving the race track, in order to put forth a quality facility that the city would operate at a profit as an enterprise. And it is a very nice place to race. And after a wobbly start in 2010, they made a $100,000 profit in 2011.

Last year (2012) they spent the biggest share of their "Earmarked" money on the new 400' concrete slab and re-paving of the entire run out and road course, making the racing surfaces comparable to the best anywhere in the world . . Then because of the City Charter requiring a "Balanced Budget" they marked the year as a big loss, about $800k in the red. Soooo, the "New" City Council decided that they couldn't be responsible for something that runs in the red and after granting a $307,000+ budget for the year of 2013, they took it back, because of . . "Budget Shortfall" . . And now, they want to "Bail", lock, stock and barrel.

While there might be several opinions about why the City Council (and the new City manager) would want out of operating PMP, it boils down to one thing, Politics. With their budget shortfall (someplace between $300k and $5.7 million, depending on who you talk to) the Council cut 10% from their Budget, according to them, "Across the Board" . . which isn't entirely true but that's just semantics. Politically, the cuts affected the non-profits, some more, some less, but the perception is, the Geezers and the poor and all the other people who get "Stuff" from the government, couldn't be seen as getting "Cut" while those elite B@stards with Race Cars get to race on the City's nickel. Nobody at City Hall will admit, that even if they only allowed an operating budget of $50k for the year, the Track(s) would realize a profit, because it's all about political perception, not fact.

And it's also because 2 out of the seven have "Real" jobs . . The rest are bureaucrats, either working for or retired from one or another government agency. At least two have been referred to as "Community Organizers" and Garcia (to be gone soon) is a "Professional Politician" and soon, as a State Representative, will visit more fiscal damage upon us. And the two with jobs have shown little leadership. The current President is the only member who has actually run a business, while aforementioned Chris Nicol is an employee of a company in Colorado Springs, I believe . .

Nicol's first successful foray into politics was the push for non smoking in public in Pueblo. He was the driver for that one. which, is/was a realtively short sighted lie in it's concept. It was advertised as a non cost ordnance. The City-County Health department was the co-sponsor and it said it would accept the responsibility for the enforcement . . Seen any City-County health department people writing tickets in the bars and restaurants at night (or any other time)? Nope, they just call a cop, which we have fewer of because of all the people who want "Stuff" from their respective Governments. And, on his City WebSite, he's listed as . . A "Community Organizer" as well as a member of the Democrat Party's executive board . . And he was also the organizer for the "Strong Mayor" deal . . You see how well that's working in Colorado Springs . .

Here's something that really gives insight to where the current City Council is at . . In the paper last Saturday, I believe, was an article with a graph showing sales tax revenue coming into the city's coffers. They used the year of 2008 as their "Anchor" or "best year" . . and this year's estimates were within $300k of that one . . so one has to ask, how the hell can we be $5.7 mil short? If it's really that much.

After all, O'Bungler's people have been telling us "Inflation is Negligible" and no COLA's are forthcoming, we're in a "Recovery" Y'kno . . And of course everybody (except me) in Pueblo Voted for the Zero so we ought to be reaping the benefits, wouldn't cha think?

large
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM
New Conundrum(s) . . .

The City Council has to replace Leroy (Professional Politician) Garcia, who has moved up the ladder in the "Feeding Order' . . . And they're faced with replacing him with "One of their Own" like the Liberal Rug Muncher Esgar, or the Fiscal Conservative Aliff, among others . . .

Who's betting that they pick another Liberal, Community Activist or staunch Unionista ?

And on another of their conundrums . . Apparently they didn't draw much of a crowd for their PMP Pre-Bid Walk Thru. Wasn't there because I don't want to run a race track. Been there, done that . .

We'll go race if they give us a place. If they don't, cie l' vie, the rig has big round black things under it and we'll have to go someplace else and spend our money . . So will everybody else . .

It just dazzles me that the city would spend over a million dollars upgrading an asset and then run it so badly that, politically, they cannot justify it's operation. They seem to be able to with the HARP and the Convention Center . . just to name a couple of others . .

Sandra
01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
http://www.chieftain.com/politics/council-picks-new-leaders/article_e0eeab5a-5eab-11e2-92ba-001a4bcf887a.html

What do you all think of the finalists? I know one of them - Ed Brown - he's a Democrat, I believe, but a wonderful caring person - who I don't think will ever have a problem with power struggles or control issues.

In addition to fire fighting - (If I remember right he was a Captain) - he has been active in the community in other ways, serving on the Human Relations Commission and helping with a local homeless program called IHN. He's active in his church, too, which happens to be the one I attend whenever I do attend services - he keeps the building in good shape and he's just all around good guy. I think he'd be good for Council, to be honest. He's pretty well rounded politically - for the most part - although I think he supported Obama, which I disagree with - but otherwise - he would be my choice for the city because of all of his community work and his sincere love of the people of this city. He is truly a servant of this city already - may as well put him on council. :)

And that's my :2c: worth.

Loren Swelk
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Well Esgar and Dr. Sbarbaro are single issue candidates who only want to be on the council to further their personal agendas, so that should probably rule them out. But it will not because the council will want a malleable weak candidate with whom they can give a little while taking a lot. Being malleable and weak will rule out Nelms and Brown. I no nothing of the ATC. My guess is it will be Esgar...unfortunately.

large
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
I didn't see anyone I'd consider much more than an "Activist' or a single agenda person. That's already the problem. Too many "Community Organizers" and no one who's ever had to show up in the morning and run a real business . . Kaufman isn't even a real "conservative" or businessman. If Louie Carleo ever stops suddenly, Kaufman will suffocate . . And while I have no problem with Louie, Kaufman seems to be incapable of an individual decision or any true leadership . .

As in our current Federal Government, we have both, now, a City Council and a County Commission who have either no or one member who isn't either a Politician or a "Community Organizer" and who has spent most of their adult lives taking from the taxpayer and, often as not, spending it in questionable ways . . No experience in "creating" income though . .

I look for both the Council and the County to be up to their @sses in debt before any one of their terms are up . . and both raising taxes to pay for it and crying about the inability to maintain the infrastructure they are ultimately responsible for . . while buying more votes by financing social issues that no one can afford!

Currently the City is telling us that they're going to hire the 20 policemen that are missing . . but they don't have the money, according to their published Budget . . And currently there's been something like a dozen armed robberies by one or more dudes . . not to mention all the other mayhem that's occurring in a city that's apparently short on cops . .

More foresight by our city fathers . . This morning's Chieftain ran a front page article about the new Army Helicopter Battalion coming to Fort Carson, and who, they hope, will train in Pueblo, at the Airport, at least until their new digs are built at Butts Field. And it was stated that they hoped, also, to retain some or all of the training space after that occurred. (?) Of course, because of the standing agreement formed when the Army "Gave" the property to the city in '49 or '50, they can use any part of it for "Free" . . So the city will probably spend more to retain them that they will get out of it. They're wonderful "businesspeople" . .

Is there a pattern starting to form here?

And across the page was an article telling about how newly elected State Representative Larry Crowder was going to get state legislation to sell the Pinion Canyon (where the helicopters play) back to the original owners, which would, for all practical purposes remove any reason for the Army to locate that Helicopter battalion here in the first place . .

Does the right hand know what the Left one is doing?

Apparently not . . . .

large
01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Y'kno, I missed this one, or it went over my head . . .

But, it seems that somewhere during the big remodel of the City Hall and the "Council Chambers", the dais or "Desk" the council sits at or behind, was "Too Tall" . . .

Sooo . . Instead of shortening the "Desk", they decided to "Raise the Floor" . . .

At the taxpayer's expense . .

Lessee, I think we've gone from DUMB to DUMBER . .

large
01-24-2013, 07:11 AM
OK, the Rocket Scientists (Pueblo City Council) are ready to decide on which "Community Activist" to hire in the Professional Politician's place. Which is my bet on, at least, the agenda of the person they pick.

Only Two out of the Five mentioned caring about anything that the City government is supposed to do, regarding infrastructure or governmental (Chartered) obligations. Three of the five are either involved in operating a Non-Profit or interested in doing so. One, stated that she thought the PEDCO Money ought to be allocated to "Other" uses . .

In government, "Community Activists" bring neither jobs or prosperity . . Just redistribution of wealth, making everyone miserable in the same degree . . .

large
01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Hmmm, nobody ever mentioned that the Council's new member was the Treasurer of the Pueblo Democratic Party . .

Wonder how that happened?

Loren Swelk
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, nobody ever mentioned that the Council's new member was the Treasurer of the Pueblo Democratic Party . .

Wonder how that happened?

And a member of the Human Relations Council, Ms. Daff's old boondoggle. Peas in a pod.

Sandra
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm elated that they chose Ed Brown! Seriously - he may be a Democrat, but he's one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Active in his community - I can't say enough about him.

AND - did you know that Ed Brown was one of IHN's volunteers at his church? Faithfully, might I add. He, Sandy Savage, and Mary Smith. And their pastor Pat Hurley - who is no longer there, sadly. Their church was one of the few churches left in that organization when all the other churches were giving up - too bad IHN is no longer around.

:-(

large
01-30-2013, 06:35 AM
If he's a Democrat, he's part of the problem. You cannot be a "Moderate" Democrat anymore and succeed in politics or retain the backing of the party . .

He will be just one more cog in the gears of bankruptcy for the city.

Or more taxation . . One or the other . .

Most likely, more taxation. That's how they've done it in the past . .

Sandra
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
He's never struck me as being big on raising taxes, though

large
01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
He's a DEMOCRAT . . ! How does a Democrat balance a Budget (if they're really forced to)?

They raise Taxes because they aren't about to cut their "Social Agendas" anymore . .

Currently they almost slashed their own wrists when they had to cut the Non-Profits by 10% across the board this year . . Three of the Councilperson's non-profits took a hit . . they aren't going to do that again.

They're talking taking PEDCO money, they're talking taxes, they're talking "Fees" . . Currently they tax your dog, your cat and the water that runs off your roof although it doesn't belong to you . . They're going to raise that (storm water drainage fees), as a matter of fact, and according to what the paper has reported, it's gonna cost me about another $150 a year . . And while they're generous with Health Care for the Fruits and Nuts, they're going to have to get the money for them someplace . . Wotthehell, it's just $60,000 or so . .

Kinda like the Janitor deal at Dist 60 . . "Aw, let's keep 'em, it's only $43,000 and change a year"

And it's only "Taxpayer's Money"!

Back to the first sentence in this post. Has Ed Brown ever spoken of "Saving money by cutting spending"? Hasn't said any more about it than he did about being the Treasurer of the Pueblo County Democratic Party prior to selection. And if he had, he wouldn't have gotten selected . .

Isn't he a retired "Educator"?

Another Unionista . .

Sandra
01-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Ed Brown is retired from the Fire Dept. Captain, I think? I'll have to ask him. Is the Fire Department Union?
Personally, I think he's a person first and a Democrat 2nd - but that's just my opinion.

I don't think I've ever discussed budgeting with him.

large
01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Sorry, got 'em mixed up . . There was a Retired Educator among the final applicants . . If Brown is a retired Fireman then he's still a "Unionista" . .

You can't be a "Person first and a Democrat 2nd" in Pueblo County, or for that matter, any place else, anymore, it's all about Partisan Politics. Or at least, "Partisan Agendas" . .

And although, by charter law, Partisan Politics have no place on the City Council, you see the partisan lines being drawn and party affilliation referred to more frequently. As well as, in the last couple elections, the Pueblo County Democratic Party has endorsed specific City Council Candidates openly . .

On another note . . This morning's Paper stated that currently, the Pueblo Police Department is short "24 Sworn Officers" . . because of shortages in the budget . .

One would tend to think that the City Council could look at the City Charter, under whose guidelines they function, and note, Police Protection is one of the primary reasons for the existence of the City Government. Not social issues. I don't have a thing against the handicapped, seniors (I'm one of them) or poor people (I'm one of those, too), but when the city cannot afford Police, Fire protection and infrastructure upkeep because they're buying votes from the aforementioned, it's time to make some serious changes in priorities or Council members. One of the two . .

And on a third note, the Pueblo Chieftain is still whining about Pueblo Motorsports Park and the choice of council to reject NEK as a leasor of PMP in 2009.

First it's water under the bridge.

Secondly, NEK had little or no intention of maintaining the racing facility as an "Asset" to the community. Their intent, as far as could be discerned, was to "Use it up, Wear it out, Eat it All" and then leave before they would have to live up to their end of the agreement. And based on the fact that they were in arrears on 3 months rent at the time they were making application, this surely sent a message to any Council Members who were listening . . Apparently the Chieftain wasn't, either.

As far as the new "Successful Bidder", Judy Faass, owner and CEO of Faasstt Performance, a drivers education and certification operation (befitting the use of the road course) goes, she was the "ONLY" bidder and the details of the lease have yet to be disclosed. She's getting a very late start for scheduling and the hiring of operators. But, there's one thing that has improved over the nearly 40 years of PMP operation if nothing else. The City finally let a 5 year lease rather than the "one year conditionals" they have stuck to and hindered operations with since the inception of the park. Based on that alone, the lady has a good chance of making the operation a success. I wish her luck and good attendence . .

large
03-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Well, here we go again . . Community activists "Doing Good" at the expense of the citizens who "Can Pay' . .

Back to the "Mandated trash Service(s)" that the busy body girls at the City-County Health Department are still advocating.

It seems that because they cannot enforce the "No Dumping" laws in the City and County, the Health Department and the City Council intends to levy another tax upon us, and it will be called (again) . . A "FEE" . . They will do this by . . RFB (Requests for Bids) from trash services currently permitted to work within the City. It would be divided into four quadrants so, hypothetically, four different services could be "Approved" . . They will also mandate "Recycling" of specific trash Items. So no more single white (or black) garbage bags . . And, according to past recommendations, your trash amounts will be weighed and you will be charged accordingly.

Also, in the fine print of the past recommendations were little rejections of certain things or amounts of things that normally get put into the trash seasonally or per holiday . . Like sticks and branches from trees (spring) or bags of leaves (Fall), all of which will either not be picked up, or you will be charged an arm and a leg. E.G: Leaves at $5 per 30 gal. bag, or Dog Crap (extra heavy in a 13 gal) @ $10 . .

And if it doesn't fit into a specific bag, it doesn't get picked up. According to facts presented in the discussions last year, your recyclable trash will be presented to your hauling contractor in separated containers with general trash being bagged in particular bags so that it can be weighed, thus making any non approved bag or container either an extra charge or a non-pickup item . .

Wonderful . .

First of all . . there's nothing "FAIR" about any of this. It's not fair to the many Trash hauling buusinesses that work in the city and county. Simply because in all likelyhood, only ONE service will be a/the successful bidder. And that one, in all probability will be "Waste Connections" because:

1) They own the landfill where the trash is dumped and can manipulate the fees to the other users or bidders.

2) They were/are the consulting service when the recommendations I referred to above were provided to the City Council.

3) They already are using the service(s) in other cities and town they have come into and established a monoply on the services in those ares. Then, once the competiton is effectively out of business, they can, quite like Comcast, Black Hills and other monoplized utility services, change their rates to suit themselves. In the case of trash service, it's not overseen by any state agency as are other utilities, so there's no control.

BUT . . While the "busy body girls at the City-County Health Department" are mandating this wonderful idea, those who don't/won't pay for the little "Extras" the trash hauler(s) are going to strap on all of us will continue to do what they have done for 50 years. Put their illegal trash in other people's containers, dump it in alleys behind other people's property, or throw it in the ditches on Overton Road, Burnt Mill Road or Red Creek Road, just to mention a few . . And with the mandate, then comes the problem . .

IS THE CITY-COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT AND THE PUEBLO CITY COUNCIL GOING TO FIND AND PROSECUTE THE MISCREANTS?

Nope, they're going to bill or fine the property owner whose property the trash gets dumped on. And the contracted Trash Hauler also gets in on the act by adding to that property owner's (who is trying to obey the law) trash collection bill, for non separation and improperly bagged trash. (In all probability)

And . . . . . . WHO'S GOING TO ENFORCE THESE NEW LAWS? Where's the money going to come from to send out the [I]"Trash Police" when illegal dumping occurs, or someone decides they can't afford Waste Connections $45 a month? If they can't afford to pay for a trash service, where are they going to find money to pay the fines the city will gladly levee on them? Will failure to pay your trash hauler be a Misdemeanor or a Felony? As will failing to "Sort" your trash? Because I certainly don't intend to. You want it recycled, you sort it . .

Another "Money" thing that will come up and has already been asked about, Who's going to pay for the maintenance on the alleys the trash trucks won't use currently? In the last 20 years, getting the alley behind our property to drain correctly has been an issue, partly because the alley is nearly perfectly level from end to end, and the fact that it's really hard to convince the Public works guys that water runs downhill . . Are we going to have to pay new people to either learn to grade the alleys correctly, or are we going to have to have the wizards at the health department figure out how to make water and the resulting mud run uphill ? . . And then charge us a fee for that feat . . ?

Considering one simple fact . . THE CITY HAS NO MONEY! so it's probably not a good idea of incorporating more ideas to spend money. And as the city isn't (proven fact) in the business of "Making Money" or in their parlance, "Raising Revenue", I'd recommend that the City Council not only table any talk of mandating Trash Service, they should round file the whole idea and do something that will cost the citizens LESS instead of MORE !

If they'd do that, then probably some of those who cannot afford a trash service now, might be able to afford one in the future . .

large
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Gotta ask . . Regarding the Pueblo City Council and it's spending agendas . .

Hows the Non Profit spending working out for you?

Obviously not too well, because, according to Police Chief Velez, our Police Department is down to the bare bones as far as Patrol Officers go, and it doesn't look like too many new ones are in the pipeline . .

I suppose the next Chartered Government service to go will be the Fire department and it's Medical Response teams . .

They've already done away with the "public service" crew as we've known it. Getting an alley graded or a hole in the street fixed requires months of begging and being told there's no money or people to do it with.

Again . . Hows the Non Profit spending working out for you?

I guess it buys votes for the "Community Activists" that are our City Councilpersons . . .

large
04-16-2013, 05:10 PM
And now . . er . . AGAIN . .

The City Council got more news that the Socialists (and Community activists) hate . . They're another $6.5 Million in the hole . . . They can't afford Police, and now we'll see if they're gonna start cutting the Fire dept. That seems to be the only place they haven't taken a sword to yet . .

But they're still kissing up to the Unions that got them all elected . . Betcha one of them (Unions or Activists) are gonna leave this Bro'mance pissed off . .

And we still haven't finished the City Hall . . 'spose they'll be having their Council meetings in that old REA warehouse for the next millenia?

large
04-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Last week, I sent the "Mandated Trash Service" post above (#62) to my City Councilperson, Sandy Daff, and the three at large Council members. At the bottom I added that I would appreciate a receipt email or acknowledgement of same.

As I receive those courtesies from both of my Federal Senators, My Congressman, my State Legislators and several of the Councilpersons formerly on the City Council, one would think that our "Community Activists in Power" could, at least, acknowledge communication from the Peons and lower classes they feel a need to subjugate.

Not a word . . . .

Apparently, subjugate is the operative word . .

Again, this is an example of Politicians doing "Something" by mandating a corrupt agenda rather than finding a real solution to a fairly simple problem. And that problem is the lack of enforcement of the current laws regarding dumping on public and private property. It's a Health Department issue so one would think that the Health Department should enforce (or attempt to) the laws they want in place. If they don't have the manpower or the budget in place to do that, then one would think they would cease and desist pushing agendas that the rest of the local governments cannot afford either. And I'd use the No Smoking Ordnances they pushed and said they'd enforce when made law . . but then pushed it off on the Pueblo City Police, because the Health Department didn't have the manpower . . Or didn't want to go out to the bars at 2 AM to write tickets, dunno which . . .

Sandra
04-26-2013, 07:35 PM
I will retain the right to keep my trash service - whether the city likes it or not. I will hire who I want to hire - whether the city likes it or not. I have good credit with the trash company and I like them - have never had a problem with my trash - and I won't allow the city to "punish" me by forcing me to use a trash service THEY want. And if they don't like it, too bad. They have no right to interfere with fair trade.

large
04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Actually, if they do this, you, or I, will have no choice. Because? They will, for all practical purposes, put all the rest of the haulers out of business. There might be a few who have enough Mesa and Pueblo West Business to keep them afloat, but the low priced and the marginal will go down the tubes because the city will take all their customers within the city limits. Add to the fact that once most of the haulers are gone, Waste Connections can increase the dumping fees and make the county haulers who became marginal when their city customers were lost, now incapable of net gain.

Everybody ends up with Waste Connections.

I still have yet to hear from either my City Councilperson or any of the At Large Councilmembers. And I'm not holding my breath . . . . . . .

large
05-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Lessee, it was $2.5 million at the start, estimated by the then City manager Jerry Pacheco, a Planner turned Manager. Because City Council had just "negotiated' a deal with Black Hills and took $7.5 million so that Black Hills could raise the rates of Southern Colorado Power rates by 33%, the Council was, apparently, feeling flush, they opted to build the "Taj Mahal of the West" for that estimated $2.5 million.

However, before a single nail was pulled or driven, Council was told (I was there) by their Architects that to remodel according to the projected plans and voiced needs of the Council, the minimum estimate was $5.2 million, with the "State of Art" IT system they had asked for, requiring another $1.2 million. During that meeting and presentation, there was little dissent to the cost, and there was no discussion of review of the plans to eliminate unnecessary or costly wants. The only point of discussion where dissent might have been displayed was the expressed need for both Men's and Women's Bathrooms for the Council itself. The plans had a single unisex Bathroom behind the council's chambers, expressly for the seven member council. It certainly wasn't designed for the public as it was both inacessable to the public and did not comply with codes for capacity of the designed Council Chambers. Actually, according to Amy Hurtig, the lead Architect, on that evening, it was a stretch to even get a Bathroom into the design because of the limited space available. The discussion about the additional cost of the IT system was literally blown off . .

And, as time has "Slipped By", the old Council, and now the new Council, has done nothing to modify either their "Needs" (which translates, actually, to "WANTS") or apparently show much concern about the mounting costs of the Third Floor Council Chambers (or perhaps we should call them, "the Throne Room") because it really appears that based on the still rising cost (Now $7.5 Million) no omne has expressed any desire to cut back on the expenses, even when faced with the hard fact that they're "Out of Money" . . Matter of fact, while they (Council, apparently) decided that the "Desk" that Council sits behind during meetings was "Too Tall" and would have to be modified or a second floor would have to be built, further elevating thse "Community Activists" above the Peons whom they tend to "Rule" rather than represent, they are perfectly willing to leave the Second Floor, where the Public does business with the Council's Bureaucrats, literally unfinished . . And it must be really "Unfinished" because the estimate to "Finish it" is around $700,000 dollars . . That's a lot of "Finishing" . . !

Now, how could rational people look at plans drawn, at their request, then hear the cost estimates from the architects themselves, and continue ? Further, how could other rational people allow this to continue?

It would appear that few, if any of the people ordering these designs, were rational . . 'spose? In the private sector, when you run out of money, you STOP, or you modify the project to make it feasable.

The Pueblo City Council did neither!

large
10-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Big minus and potentially, a big plus . . .

This morning's paper once again underlined how badly the City Council continues to violate the original city charter. They continue to fund the non profits at the levels they are accustomed to, while laying off employees, failing to replace those who have died or retired or just failing to enforce the ordinances the current and past Councils have passed into law. And, while cutting employees and thus services, they still maintained the salaries of the upper management. It causes one to wonder, that If, we are continuing to lay off those who are supposed to be providing the services that the charter demands, but still maintaining both the supervisors and their current salaries, what are those supervisors and managers supervising or managing?

Do we need a "Planning Department" if we have no money to change or build?

Why are we funding non contracted non profits yet defaulting on contractual agreements like the YMCA?

And while I'm asking stupid questions, if Ballot issue 1A (county tax increase for HARP, Zoo, Art Center, State Fair, Nature Center and Animal Shelter) passes, will we then no longer have to pay a tax on our pets within the City Limits? Or do I just have to pay a double tax on my dog?

Now for the "Plus" . . .

The County has created laws concerning the growth and sale of Recreational Marijuana, making Pueblo County one of the few counties (and/or cities) in the state to actually legalize both growing of and retail sales of recreational marijuana. Hopefully the city will modify it's zoning laws to embrace, at least, the sale of same. Simply because this can become a very lucrative local industry, and the city and county can (or should) enjoy a windfall of taxes, both from direct sales taxes and also from the "Tourist Industry" it will create . . .

While I was (and still am) against legalizing marijuana, either Medical or Recreational, if it's the law, and most cities and counties in the state declare a moritorium on it in their locales, "TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!"

However, I do also believe that it might be more trouble than it's worth, just because, over the years, about half the Stoners I've known were more than "Undesirable" and weren't people you'd want visiting or habitating your home town . . We might not have enough Cops even if we could afford to double the force.

Sandra
11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
:-\