PDA

View Full Version : The City's spending agenda

large
08-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Last night the frivolus seven divied up the money they haven't got yet, and that we'll pay for, for the rest of our lives . . Roughly 30% tacked onto our light bills . .

And what did they decide to do with it? Are they going to fix the streets? Pay down any debt? Take care of infrastructure that needs repair?

Nope! They're gonna build BALLFIELDS . . Monuments to Ray Aguliera and Larry Atencio! As well as spend $4.5* Million remodeling City Hall at the request of Jerry Pacheco . . ($1.5 M of that is supposed to be paid by "Grants" yet to be identified or applied for)

In the case of the Ballfields, Atencio wanted $1.75 M to build softball fields on the East Side, which he says will bring in "Millions" . . and Packrat wants $1.2 M for PPAL football fields at lake Minnequa . . lotta money for Grass that we'll be obliged to water and take care of . . same kind of grass that we are having trouble affording in our city parks (?)

It was brought up, that they "HAD" to put up the money for the PPAL Fields because the Broncos had already put up a $250k "Grant" that had been spent . . so they had to put up another $1.2 M? Why not just give the Broncos back their $250K?

And in regards to Mr. Atencio's million dollar softball field(s), if it will bring in "Millions" why not draw up a business plan and go to a bank?

The problem with all this glamorous eyewash and monuments for sitting councilmen is this . . For about 15 years the alley that services the block I live on has resembled either a dust bowl, or a mud hole, depending upon the weather. I poured a concrete slab adjacent to the alley, and immediately was charged for the drainage . . except . . the alley drained onto my slab . . The public works people have attempted to remedy the problem several times but in every case, they're limited to an hour of grading, because? They have NO MONEY, or equipment, or people . .

And I know that I'm not the only person in this city being inconvienanced and charged for things and services I'm not receiving . . And based on that theory, shouldn't we take care of the things our City Charter defines and until it's in the City Charter, shouldn't we leave the making of Millions to private enterprise and collect the revenues that those millions should bring the City . . ?

A final note. In the last four years or so, the City Government has poormouthed every time infrasructure needs have been brought up. They have said, very consistently, that they have no money. BUT, if you drive the length of South Main Street you'd never know it!

Buster.Tripp@Gmail.com
08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Thats Pueblo at its best large. No common sence and egos who don't have any knowledge of what Pueblo really needs. What is the unemployment stats in Pueblo 10% or better but who cares about the small people. Need another ballfield like They need a Ymca that people can not afford to go to.

large
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
No, Buster, it's the mentality of this country. And our politicians are a lot like Voyeurs, they don't have any money, but they'll certainly spend someone else's . .

The City council has hit on a novel idea . . Because of TABOR, they can't raise taxes without voter permission . . They know that ain't gonna happen . . and they can only "FEE" us so much . . but now, they sell water, annex the property, and allow the utilities companies to build generating plants for others, and they spend the up front money . . not bothering to tell their constituents that it's going to come back to them in the form of massively raised rates . . forever . . .

large
08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Heh, heh . . Two comments . .

Last Sunday the Pueblo Chieftain ran the post I started the thread with . . And Monday morning, about 10, the city road grader was making passes in my alley . . Now, they had just been here about a month ago, and usually, if we're lucky, we'll see the grader once a year . . so, howcome they came back so quick? Did I touch a nerve? But, in this case, stirring dirt doesn't solve a drainage problem!

On the second . . this morning's paper recapped last night's City Council meeting, which reflected, again, what the first post (and Letter to the Editor) was all about . . Packrat, Atencio, Garcia and the Union Stooge Nawrocki proved, beyond a doubt, that they are less interested in having a functional city operation than they are with grandiose spending projects that buy them votes in their districts . . Nothing more than Pork on a small scale . . These guys are just like the people in Congress who need replacing . . and we should . .

colo native
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes Large, I really wish that some of that give away money might have gone to asphalt.Seems all we have is PORK around here.

large
08-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Kinda ludricous to build a deluxe Ballfield and then can't get to it because of the bad streets . . .

But . . "They will Make Millions" --Larry Atencio, City Council President

large
09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Front page article on . . "We don't have any money to do the City's Business" . . sez City Council . .

But nobody wanted to go back and address the spending of money they could have used on infrastructure, on frivolous stuff that they can "Make Millions" on . . or . . name those things after themselves . . whatever . .

Apparently the spend, spend, spend bug reaches clear down to the local Politicians in local offices . . . Do these people run their personal financal lives like this?

Jerry, show us YOUR personal checkbook . . .

large
10-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Big Town Hall meeting dealing with "Code infractions and how to deal with them" . .

After an hour of explaination of why we can't enforce all those codes because we don't have any money (familiar cry, I have to say) and the lame "But, We're interested and trying", they gave 75 people the floor for about 30 minutes.

Bottom line is . . they want to "Train" citizens to be "Code Enforcers" for nothing . .

Which, from past experience, will just allow "badge Heavy" citizens to go among us, and in all probability, as it has been in the past, a way to get even with the Neighbor or "Guy down the block" who "Just P*sses us off" . . drop a nickel on him for weeds today, the old pickup he's got in his backyard next week, and the hot rod pieces he has on the side of his garage the week after that . .

One fellow was bold enough to recommend the use of the "Black hills Gold Mine' to pay for needed city services instead of building "Ball Fields that will make us Millions"! as well as keep some of it for the unpredictable "Rainy Day" that invariably creates new fiscal criseses.

It was all met with a healthy attitude of "Council doesn't really give a Sh*t" . . . and Packrat left before the citizens had what little say they were given . . His "Don't give a sh*tter" was even more prevalent . .

large
12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
More of "We don't have the Money" . . .

Last night the Humane Society went before the spendaholics (City Council) and asked for an increase to keep their operation legal and humane . .

Packrat (Ray Aguilera), Bessemer's City Councilman, said the revenues are down and he didn't think the city could afford those increases in funds from the city. Isn't this the guy who just got about a million and a half for another park?

Apparently Council has failed to grasp (collectively) that when you build something this year, you have to maintain and support it next year and so on . . and just as the price of Gasoline and Bread tend to rise, so does the cost of maintaining all of those grand ideas.

Because . . Contrary to Larry Autencio's pitch for more city owned (and maintained) ball fields, no government enterprise will generate profit . . or, at least none seem to have at this point in time!

And . . The Humane Society also asked the council to raise fees. $2 license fee increase per year on neutered animals and $5 on "unaltered" animals. On a 3 year license the increase would be $3 across the board . . I've got an argument with the powers that be on the "Licensing FEES" . . Those aren't FEES, they're TAXES! They would get a greater degree of compliance if they would allow the license to be a one time fee per animal. So many people view the Pueblo Animal Licensing Law to be a tax on their Dog or Cat . . which is exactly what it is . .

And here's one I'd vote for, an increase in both boarding fees and impound (Doggie Jail) fees. Perhaps those animal (Dog, specifically) owners who have neither fenced yards or bother to train their animals to stay in the yard would take better care of their dogs or at the outset, decide they have no place to put a puppy that will grow into a 65 pound bundle of energy.

large
01-02-2011, 03:35 PM
So to speak . . . We had, what they (and Colorado Springs) termed as a "Surprise" Snow storm . . and after an afternoon of video highlights on TV of automobiles and pickups (Many of them 4WD) crashing into one another on slick streets, the Springs finally put out the gravel trucks . .

Pueblo? Not so much . . . One would have thought that, at the least, the major intersections in town might have had at least a smidgeon of gravel . . But Nooooooo . . Not a drop. Only the streets that were State Highways had any attempt of snow removal or graveling, and that, (what there was of it) was done by the state plows . .

More of the same old BS . . "We have no money to spend on the things the government is chartered for, because we have to think of the New Parks and entitlements"

It's not that I really had anyplace to go that I couldn't, it was just that I noticed the lack of gravel as I did what I had to do last Friday . . And there are people out there that need all the help they can get when it gets slick ! That much was very evident . .

masonranch
01-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Big Town Hall meeting dealing with "Code infractions and how to deal with them" . .

After an hour of explaination of why we can't enforce all those codes because we don't have any money (familiar cry, I have to say) and the lame "But, We're interested and trying", they gave 75 people the floor for about 30 minutes.

Public officials are required to have public hearings. However their minds are ALREADY made up. The public meeting is really just an opportunity for the public to rubber stamp their theft and tyranny against the public.

I used to go to these meetings thinking they had some effect. When over 95% of those that would show up opposed the new grandiose plans but they went ahead anyway, the mask was off. The public officials would just say that those that showed up were a small group of extremist that didn't represent the majority, whom they somehow seemed to have a direct link to.

Bottom line public meetings are a waste of time. Throw the bums out. If you can't wait until the next election, start a recall petition. That is all these egomaniac politicians understand. I'm proud to have campaigned against and been a part in the early termination of Wayne Wolf's big government political career. He was our county commissioner, then, term limited, He ran for congress and lost (HOPE I WAS PART OF THAT) and didn't make the primary for state senator this time. Maybe the proverbial wooden stake has finally been driven so the undead won't rise again.

Marc.N
01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
New York Times

Public Workers Face Outrage as Budget Crises Grow
By MICHAEL POWELL
Published: January 1, 2011

FLEMINGTON, N.J. — Ever since Marie Corfield’s confrontation with Gov. Chris Christie this fall over the state’s education cuts became a YouTube classic, she has received a stream of vituperative e-mails and Facebook postings.

“People I don’t even know are calling me horrible names,” said Ms. Corfield, an art teacher who had pleaded the case of struggling teachers. “The mantra is that the problem is the unions, the unions, the unions.” ...

...a growing cadre of political leaders and municipal finance experts argue that much of the edifice of municipal and state finance is jury-rigged and, without new revenue, perhaps unsustainable. Too many political leaders, they argue, acted too irresponsibly, failing to either raise taxes or cut spending.

A brutal reckoning awaits, they say....

...Fred Siegel, a historian at the conservative-leaning Manhattan Institute, has written of the “New Tammany Hall,” which he describes as the incestuous alliance between public officials and labor.

“Public unions have had no natural adversary; they give politicians political support and get good contracts back,” Mr. Siegel said. “It’s uniquely dysfunctional.” ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/business/02showdown.html?src=busln

Sandra
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Generally, the problem with these meetings is that they turn into b!tch sessions. People show up and bark, but offer no viable solutions. If people would approach the city with a solution, we might get somewhere. We can't just sit back and ask our representatives on Council to do all of our thinking for us.

You say 'throw the bums out' but I have never seen you offer any replacement ideas.

Public meetings would not be a waste of time if the people would follow up after those meetings. Get with your elected official and ask them how things are going since the last meeting. If enough people do that, you'll see a lot more progress. The community needs to always be involved if anything is going to be accomplished. Council and the community need to work together. We can't just elect someone into office then forget about them. We're their employers - we need to stay in touch with them and work with them.

masonranch
01-02-2011, 05:42 PM
You say 'throw the bums out' but I have never seen you offer any replacement ideas.

You got it. You need to elect me or people like me that don't want more government solutions. If ball parks are that great and profitable, let the private sector fund them. If not then maybe they aren't that profitable but only theft from those that don't want to involuntary fund 'em.

Public meetings would not be a waste of time if the people would follow up after those meetings. Get with your elected official and ask them how things are going since the last meeting. If enough people do that, you'll see a lot more progress. The community needs to always be involved if anything is going to be accomplished. Council and the community need to work together. We can't just elect someone into office then forget about them. We're their employers - we need to stay in touch with them and work with them.

Look up the "Delphi Technique". Take this extreme not real example, Suppose that city council wants to exterminate jews and I totally oppose that very premise. What the advocates would do is try to enlist my suport by limiting the discussion as to the "what's your ideas, how would you accomplish the task. We are not here to discuss not eliminating the jews but just your method or mine. That is the Delphi Technique.

Or a real example, "If you don't like my vision for the next 100 years, what's yours?" That's also the Delphi Technique, when the question is improper as neither he or I have any right to impose a vision on anyone. People are quite capable of having their own vision for themselves.

If you are not allowed to state an opposition to the very premise all that can happen is that government grows either this way or that but never contracts. I refuse to submit to the Delphi Technique.

To remind you government at all levels now spends more than the sum total of all wages and salaries in this country. That is too much. Find a way to undo, not do more at all levels. That is not what Pueblo is doing.

Sandra
01-02-2011, 05:57 PM
You got it. You need to elect me or people like me that don't want more government solutions.I'd probably vote for you. Are you going to run for a seat in the next election?

If ball parks are that great and profitable, let the private sector fund them.

I think that if they're profitable, the city could make a few extra bucks off of 'em. :-)

masonranch
01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd probably vote for you. Are you going to run for a seat in the next election?

I think that if they're profitable, the city could make a few extra bucks off of 'em. :-)

Sorry Sandra, I don't live in Pueblo so can't, but Hey Large is there and he wrote an editorial. I think he should run don't you?

Sandra
01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Sorry Sandra, I don't live in Pueblo so can't,

Well what did you offer for? lmao! Well, if you move here and run for office, I'll vote for you.

I think Large would be another likely candidate, I'd probably vote for him, too.

You gonna ever run, Large?

large
01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
On the running for office . . Nyet, the wife would kill me . . she's already sworn to if I were to . . .

On your statement:

Not in our town . . the City Council would make an "Enterprise" of it and lose their collective shirts . . Few, if any public funded, publicly operated operations or enterprises succeed . . and in order to disprove my statement, show me a few examples . . .

Simply because there's little or no incentive to make a profit. Although Runyon Field (formerly a AA Minor league ball field back in the mid 50's) could be used as a positive example . . The only one I can think of offhand . .

Sandra
01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
On the running for office . . Nyet, the wife would kill me . . she's already sworn to if I were to . . .

Well that spoils the fun!

Bob Nattering
01-03-2011, 06:38 AM
In the city of Arvada, the city planners had a proposal on the table to go from competitive trash hauling to a single commercial trash hauler regulated by a contract from the city. The purported purpose of the City was to increase recycling. The opposition was well organized and the City Council and Mayor were bombarded with emails, phone calls and letters. The last public hearing was moved from City Council Chambers to the Arvada Center auditorium (capacity 2000) to accommodate a large attendance. Everyone still could not get in.

As a result Council did drop the proposal for a single hauler. But instead of leaving trash to competitive pickup, they are modifying the proposal to allow for trash districts with a single hauler in each. The new proposal would insure that the independent haulers would be included in the mix along with the biggies like Waste Management. That's a clever proposal, because it reduces the money contributed by independent trash haulers to get information to the public and tests the persistence of a "short attention span" public.

This is clearly a scheme to generate revenue, as the city will skim a portion of the trash hauling revenues. Therefore, the city will be persistent.

Neighboring cities that have trash hauling regulated or conducted by the city all have reduced services and pay more (either directly or through city taxes). The most disconcerting part is that there is always a limited quantity of trash that will be picked up (without additional exorbitant fees). When my son lived in Longmont, we actually hauled trash home from his house to save him having to go to the dump. That's an expensive option in the Denver area. It's been 3 years since I went to the Leyden Landfill. At that time it was $45 for a pickup truck, regardless of the size of the load. In our current competitive system, my hauler has a written policy that limits pickup to 300 pounds, which is a lot. Yet, I know I've exceeded that amount with fall leaves and they still take it all.

It's tough to beat city hall.

Dirty Sox
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I myself have thought that Mr. Large or others that post on this forum should be involved in the government operations. BUT, don't know if people in this city-county want or realize the value of a straight talking person. An example being the recent re-election of a county commissioner. After the stunts they've pulled the last couple years, never thought people would put the same one back in office. Maybe there was something about his opponent I'm unaware of, otherwise it's another event that causes one to become closer to the Almighty, saying things such as "Fur Chrissake"...

large
01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, the worst part of running for Office, being in Office, or just being an active Commission Member or "Doer" is the cost. You don't have time to work for a living, and locally, unless you put the combination to the Wells Fargo Safe under the table to the Democratic party, you can't get elected (or even nominated) to run for County Commissioner. That pays pretty good, even though we had to shame them into parking their county provided cars . .

As for City Council . . You must either have a boss that is truly altruistic, a wife who can support you in the style the Council Members are used to, or own a company that can do completely without you for days on end . . . Not to mention many "altruistic" friends who are bucks up enough to write campaign checks and not ask where the money went . .

And . . as I have often related, the fact that those "altruistic" friends donated large and small amounts of money will loom large once you have been elected . .

Which is why I believe that once a person becomes a candidate by legitimate primary, he should become eligible for Public funding of his/her campaign, which would be a set amount for him/her and his opponents. This, at that time would make him ineligible for ANY donations from ANYONE, and at the time he/she spent all of the money, he/she would be DONE . . No matter the set amount, based upon what we see today, it would be a bargain!

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

(I studied under the LAST MASTER, Filthy Fred Weisbrod . . RIP Friend)

masonranch
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, the worst part of running for Office, being in Office, or just being an active Commission Member or "Doer" is the cost. You don't have time to work for a living, and locally, unless you put the combination to the Wells Fargo Safe under the table to the Democratic party, you can't get elected (or even nominated) to run for County Commissioner. That pays pretty good, even though we had to shame them into parking their county provided cars . .

As for City Council . . You must either have a boss that is truly altruistic, a wife who can support you in the style the Council Members are used to, or own a company that can do completely without you for days on end . . . Not to mention many "altruistic" friends who are bucks up enough to write campaign checks and not ask where the money went . .

Have you ever noticed how many politicians are "Old"? While the Golden years are characterized by increasing health problems, yet being retired offers the opportunity for public service. I would have never considered running for office and holding down a full time job, just couldn't do it.

So there are people like Josh Penry, who made the decision to be a professional politician i.e. earn a living from politics. He has no other skill. His last real job was as a bank teller. It is nothing less than survival, get elected or die or deal for an appointed position from your fellow politicians. That's what McInnis successfully threatened Penry with in the Governor's race. McInnis said to him withdraw and if I win a nice plosh government job will be yours or go for it and lose and your out period. Penry sold himself as Gale Norton's campaign manager for $25,000 per month, then Tom Tancredo's manager for $25,000 a month, both lost. He still has his State Senate Minority seat funnelling him money.

Have you ever noticed how a person with no real experience enters politics and becomes very wealthy? How does that happens?

The deals, the compromises, the marketing of government coercion (as the gas industry has lobby'd sucessfully against the coal industry with HB1365) and public treasure, as Obama has paid off his friends with Trillion dollar "stimulus money" stolen from you and me and the seed money from GE and others that corrupts all?

No truer words were ever spoken than "the government that governs least governs best" or that government really is a necessary EVIL and thus should be the last resort not the first.

That is why true Government service is a "duty" not something to be sought or something to provide a career lifetime income.

Marc.N
01-04-2011, 04:02 AM
The agenda is not hidden. What is one of the main reasons to build the ball parks?

large
01-04-2011, 07:23 AM
The agenda is not hidden. What is one of the main reasons to build the ball parks?

Conceivably for the same reason a City or County Government would build an Industrial building, to attract outside money into the community. But, on the Industrial building idea, we are batting about .600 on that, and just off the top, there are no government operated enterprises functioning at a profit (Including the aforementioned Runyon Field) . . Basically, because they have no Independent Operators who, if successful, will make a profit . . Those who run them currently have no incentives other than a salary and the political connections to keep the job . . This really requires no imagination or creativity to promote their enterprise, because they can keep their positions if they don't get involved in some kind of scandal (as happened at Runyon Field a few years back) and at least maintain the Status Quo.

A perfect example would be Pueblo Motorsports Park. For years a non profit management company ran and maintained PMP, eventually being able to pay it's employees for their work on weekends and compensate their nearly full time management people, as well as put $100,000 per year back into the facility (For over five years prior to the city firing them). Then a City Council member and a National Security Company (NEK) decided to take it away and use it up . . Eventually the City council was made aware of the situation, but never looked hard enough to see the forest for the trees . . Instead of leasing out to an Independent Promoter (of which, at one time there were more than six interested and qualified) who would promote and maintain with HIS money and share gained profits with the landlord (The City of Pueblo), they opted to get into the racing promotion business. While I won't criticize the current management, I can say they have problems out there, by just listening to the grumbles coming from the advisory board . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

Loren Swelk
01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
One of our local city planners has been invited to speak at two different seminars at a preservation conference in Denver in February. The city has said he can go, but they won't pay for a hotel/motel room for him to stay while attending so he is trying to find someone's couch to sleep on while in Denver. Who says our city government is not conservative in their spending habits.
I wonder when was the last time one our illustrious city council persons "couched surfed" while representing the city of Pueblo?

large
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Heh, heh, Yeah, I've always wondered about that . . You see the City (or County) heads go to someplace or another for a conference or get together for one reason or another, and do they seek accommodations that they, themselves could afford on a vacation? Hell No! they stay in $500+ a night hotels and eat $100 meals, three times a day . .

And . . Here I'm just guessing, but it would seem that it's because somebody else is picking up the tab . .

As for the "Speaking Planner" . . He needs to speak to people with enough money to spring for his keep . . If they can't put him up and buy him breakfast, then what the hell are they gonna do with the knowledge he's about to inform them with . . The things Planners talk about generally cost the taxpayers or users money . . if they don't have enough to put the guy up at a La Quinta and by him lunch, they really have no need for his information!

Hmm, that was redundant?

Bob Nattering
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Being a resident up here, I can point at a few things about local accommodations:

I wouldn't look for couches to sleep on in Boulder near the campus, because most of those couches are out on the front porch.

There have always been a number of motels on Colfax where the rates are quite reasonable. The bedbugs are probably a minimal problem there, because they don't have a lot of foreign travelers checking in.

I think there are some free accommodations in the area of 23rd and Market Streets, but I'm not familiar with the check-in procedures and requirements.

In a more serious vein, there's also the commute option. My house is 20 to 30 minutes further from Pueblo than downtown Denver. I routinely drive the single-day round trip for meetings in Pueblo and it's not all that bad. As Large says, when you're paying yourself, you find cheaper options.

It might be "time to start living off of the land"............so to speak.

P.S. He wouldn't like my couch, because I wake up in the middle of the night and stand under my noisy exhaust hood in my boxers to have a smoke.

large
01-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, some people learn nothing from history, neither ancient or current . .

This morning's paper featured an article about the Pueblo City Council worrying about the the Housing Market in Pueblo . . and perusing the act of becoming monetarily involved, as well as addressing our Federal Senators to assist in making Local Housing Loans more accessible . .

Isn't that what we're trying to get over currently?

Or have I totally misunderstood? My belief (and that of the majority of both politicians and Pundits) is that we "Loosened" the accessibility rules so loose that those who couldn't make the first mortgage payment could qualify as a mortgage holder . . and then required lending agencies to make loans on overpriced or over appraised homes . . which, of course, succumbed to mathematical eventualities . .

Now, our city council is ignoring all that and want to do it again?

The Government, be it local or federal, needs to stay out of Business, whether it's mortgage loans or groceries . .

I'd like to see them make a profit on something they've already got their fingers (and an occasional Nose) in.

Marc.N
01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
The per diem thing seems ok to me.

The bean counter will compare the expenses to the rules and if they match up OK then it passes.

So the rules, writers of the rules and those with power to override the bean counters are the problems.

Where I see the disconnect is somewhere along the line the idea popped up that government needs the same talent and abilities the private sector has so government needs competitive wages and perks.

Blah and phooey. If they had the same talent and abilities they'd be in the private sector.

Go into public sector offices and you'll see a homesteader. Plants, pictures, bling bling rarely found in private sector places of business. Very unprofessional entitlement mentality environments.

It's their home, not the peoples.

large
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Well, back to the "Homeless planner" . .

Back when I was one of 'em, we did have "Per Diem" . . if the COG sent us as a speaker or participant, we were given tickets or mileage, whichever applied, and we were allowed "Per Diem" or a certain amount of money for expenses . . If we were asked to speak at a function, no matter where (or in front of who), it was up to the "Invitor" to provide for both transportation and expenses . . as well as some sort of allowance or gratuity for going there and telling them what they wanted to hear . .

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the contemporary planner is neither needed or wanted to the extent they used to be . . Or they no longer expect reimbursement for the sharing of their knowledge . . whichever . .

large
01-11-2011, 06:05 AM
He was voted in by the Democrats on the panel . . .

From the on line Pueblo Chieftain article . . .

Council elects new leadership each year and Aguilera, who represents District 4 on the South Side, was made president with the support of his three fellow Democrats — Councilmen Steve Nawrocki, Leroy Garcia and Larry Atencio.
No one else was nominated for the post, but Councilwomen Vera Ortegon and Judy Weaver, along with Councilman Chris Kaufman, voted against Aguilera without comment.
The public elects council members in nonpartisan races.

Sure it does . . .

But on with Business . . In the same article, Larry Autencio was cited for the "Many Improvements during his term as Council President . . one being the new Fire Station in El Camino . . Which would be fine, except for one thing . . They took the fire Engine from the Quincy Station on the Mesa Junction and put it in the new station . . leaving the Mesa Junction and Western parts of Bessemer without Fire Protection. The only direct response is by the Squad Truck, working out of that station now. It has no fire fighting capabilities, and because of that, the response times to a fire in the areas mentioned are over 10 minutes . . And once the Engine(s) are moved from the Station on Mesa and Routt, to their new station, response time will be even longer . .

So, if you live in the areas mentioned, have a heart attack, but don't have a fire . . all they can save is your foundation!

Good Job, both to Council and Chris Riley, the Fire Chief . . well thought out . .

large
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
In this morning's paper (Sunday's) there was an article about the new President of the City Council, Ray Aguilera and his "Wish list' . . In it are the things he wants to do, all which involve spending, some necessary, a lot, not so much . . While we are having a hard time keeping our paved streets in some sort of serviceable shape, we seem to still be able to afford Ball fields and parks, most of which those who use them don't make any effort to care for them. That of course leaves the city to not only water and care for the grass, but to pick up the trash left behind by the pigs who use the parks . .

Or . . We can invite kids down from Colorado Springs to pick up the trash . . As was done this week in Packrat's Home District of Bessemer . . You'd think that those who live there would have enough pride to pick up their own trash, at least in their own neighborhood, but apparently not . . So now we "Import" volunteers to do it.

Doesn't it make sense to ask people to take care of themselves before we throw more money at a neighborhood full of people who so far, haven't?

Buster.Tripp@Gmail.com
01-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Large I could say told you so, but would be preaching to the choir. When Pueblo has something that works for kids they make it so dam hard on the ones who try to make a difference. In America we dont want personal accountablity we want someone to do it for us. SAD VERY DANG SAD

Marc.N
01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Bessemer is on the elites hit list.

large
01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Bessemer is on the elites hit list.

Not really . . Bessemer is it's own worst enemy . . Because of many things. Basic economics make it pretty much what it is and causes many to wonder if it's worth keeping . . It, quite like Downtown Pueblo, is a relic of the past, and downsliding because there is really no real reason for it to exist today . . As are a lot of the neighborhoods surrounding the Bessemer (or "Minnequa") business district . .

Now, I can write a 1000 word thesis explaining why, both historically and economically, but, surely, the educated people who both belong to or visit this forum surely know why. It's not racism, elitism or prejudice, but reality of the geographic history of any city . .

large
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
So where's the wisdom? Pueblo Motorsports Park, under the management and supervision of Pueblo Motorsports Inc. was making a profit of $100,000 a year and reinvesting it into the facility (and had done so for 5 years, leading up to last year's big change) . . Mr. Cordova and his operation has lost $75,000 in one year . . at least according to this morning's paper and the article about Council's actions last night . .

And finally, something Packrat has said has a ring of truth and understanding in it . . He admonished Council to make some quick and positive decisions regarding the operation out there, because any schedules should be set and published by the last day of January . .

But will they do it? Who knows?

large
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
First lemmee backtrack and apologize for being wrong . . I took the Pueblo Chieftain's article at it's word and quoted the $75 k loss . . it wasn't . . Solutions Inc (PMP's management company) made money. While it's still debatable as to how much, simply because different members of the operation have different numbers, they made a profit.

Second, I'd like to apologize to Darrel Contreras for the mis-naming . .

OK, that being said, I'd also like to give a hat tip to Packrat (Councilman Ray Aguliera), who, when the PMP deal first came to forefront didn't even know that there were Prairie Dogs out there, let alone what else went on there . . He has applied himself and become not just learned, but learned about what an asset the facility is to the city . .

This week the City Council dealt with the request by the PMP Advisory Board's request for a $747,000 LOAN . . that's LOAN ! with a capital LOAN! Meaning (Read this carefully all you non profits who are complaining) that this is a LOAN, not a GIMMEE . . LOANS are paid back . . GIMMEES aren't . . .

And another Hat tip to Doug Hunter, the guiding hand on the Advisory Board. A voice needed long ago . . . .

Marc.N
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
It's terrible they get a $747,00 handout when we have all these poor people in need.

large
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
It's terrible they get a $747,00 handout when we have all these poor people in need.

What part of LOAN didn't you get?

A LOAN is money given to you on the condition that you PAY IT BACK ! With Interest.

POOR PEOPLE DON'T EVER PAY IT BACK!

The former is (finally) GOOD BUSINESS, the latter, just another Gimmee, which will lead to another Gimmee, which will lead to . . well you get the idea . .

DLH
03-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Finally.

large
03-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Answer me this, DLH . . Are they (PMP's management and the city) going to start building "Corner Anchors" so that the pavement doesn't "Walk Out" under the weight of the heavier Sports Cars? I'm speaking of the road course . .

Just askin' . .

DLH
03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Do you mean concrete patches at the apexes?

I don't think so.

I just hope it will get done right, with the proper material and preparation.

After the neglect the whole park has suffered this is a great first step. It's a lot better that the short term fixes they had planned at first.

The only info I get is from CMC meetings

large
03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
After the neglect the whole park has suffered this is a great first step. It's a lot better that the short term fixes they had planned at first.

There was a long term plan from the first . . it was just never heeded once the initial facility was built . . Wants were often put in front of Needs . . and neither the management or the city ever put long term returns in place of short term politics . .

The latter being said with no malice towards those who kept the facility functioning for 30 years . .

Marc.N
03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Maybe the city could hire poor homeless folks to do all the work at PMS.

large
03-05-2011, 08:14 AM
One of the biggest reason poor people are poor is that they choose not to work when it is made available . .

Just something I've noticed over the years . .

Marc.N
03-05-2011, 10:18 AM
All of them refuse to work or some of them? All of them are fully functional people who can work or some of them? Poor social skills and mental illness are a myth? I had no idea that's how it is. Scary to think how mental health professionals are all scam artists. WOW!

large
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Dunno about all that . . I do know that in America, once the country gets down to about 5-5.5% unemployed, we have to import labor and talent . . always have, probably always will . . Now as to the functionality of that group, I dunno, but I'd bet there's a core group who are "Chronically poor, uneducated, and live off the other 90% . . . always have, probably always will . .

As for working at PMP, what would (or could) those people do? Most of the work that will be done there will require skilled or semi-skilled labor, and in the case of paving, few Americans of any social strata will do the hands on work required of laying Asphalt . . Been there, seen that . .

However, if any of those you speak of happens to have a spare 950 Cat or a KW with a Rock Trailer sitting around, they could always pitch in . .

DLH
03-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I wish the chieftain would clarify that it is a loan and not a handout.

large
03-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I wish the chieftain would clarify that it is a loan and not a handout.

I wish the city had ANYBODY that had a clue advising them . . I was told that during the meeting last Saturday with the racers, the City's new potentate of the facility was talking about hosting "National Events" . .

Hell, in the current condition (obsoletion by rulebook, literally) they are lucky to keep a NHRA Sanction, which does little but get them a lower insurance rate . . The Walls need to be moved in on the Dragstrip portion and paving must extend to the walls, the shutdown area needs to be longer and have a larger sandbox and access to the track itself must be secured . . Because it isn't, multiple events inside the fences, E.G; Quarter Midgets, Drag Racing, really shouldn't be going on at the same time . .

Perhaps a "Divisional" event might be in the track's future, but in my estimation, there's other events that can promise them far more money if they can update the Dragstrip part enough to allow 5-6 second times safely . .

On the Road Course, there needs to be a skid pad installed (with accessible water) to open further the options a defensive driving lessor would have. And (because of the cost) every year, a corner on the road course should be picked out and anchored with a retaining wall and curbing. I have no idea of the current cost of doing that, but when the track was first built ('72-'73) it was estimated that it would amount to about $8,000 to $12,000 per corner or turn . . So to do them all at once, would still be cost prohibitive, but it's something that will have to be done before heavier cars than the lighter sports cars can utilize the road course.

That was one of the reasons that the leasing to NEK was in discussion with the old PMI Management Group. The full size sedans and SUVs that were being used by NEK in their training was demolishing the turns by pushing the outer super elevation and asphalt at the apexes of the turns and shredding the asphalt on the inner parts of the turns . . And there wasn't enough money being returned from the leases and rental to repair or anchor them . . According to sources inside PMI.

I see the resurfacing of the current access road as a waste of money if the City (and State) proceed with the extension of Joe Martinez Blvd to West 24th St . . Although it will take away any place for Motorcycle riding, it will provide a far better access to the Racing Facility.

Were the road course brought up to standards that would allow use of full size vehicles in Pursuit and defensive driving education, our Police department could become a vendor to the Law Enforcement Community nationwide. That would undoubtedly bring in money from an area not thought of by the powers that be . .

And a note about a statement made by DLH . . I don't believe any "Neglect" that you spoke of in an earlier post was ever actually "Neglect" by choice or mis-management, but failure to maintain what was there in order to continue building the facility . . In the last 5 years of management by PMI, they put approximately $100k back into the facility . . as maintenance for the most part and improvements . . And their books are still open . .

But . . wotthehelldoIknow?

Loren Swelk
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Large, you are more familiar than any of us on both PMP and the various costs for renovation. As a layman it appears to me that 750K is not nearly enough to do what is needed especially the paving part. I believe both the road course and the drag strip require something different from "run of the mill" paving, am I correct? The cost of new bleachers has to be expensive as is the entry road.
Is this again just a larger band aid or will this really be a great return on investment?

large
03-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, I don't really know the parameters of what has to be done just to maintain NHRA Sanctioning . . I do know that the asphalt has a different formula than standard Asphalt used on streets and even (I think) Federal DOT standards for Interstate Highways . . And I think the density after laydown is higher, but I don't know for sure . .

The One Mile Oval Track in Phoenix is supposed to be repaved this summer at an estimated cost of $10 m . . But a banked track takes a lot of special equipment . . You can't just back a Live Bottom up to a Cold Cowl and lay down asphalt . . Which, of course, the track out here won't require . .

But when you consider that the original asphalt out at the Park was laid down in 1973 and, while I don't remember the year but it wasn't too long after that the Concrete Launch Pad was poured, the racing surfaces, with exception of spots and the insides of the road course turns, are the original asphalt. So, the stuff that's there has been there for about 48 years, plus or minus . .

I, personally, would recommend that the City, the Advisory board, or who ever will be eventually blamed for whatever they do out there, contact Mr. Wayne McMurtry, a charter Board Member of PMI, and the (semi) Retired Facilities Director for NHRA, and ask, hire, or bribe him to look at the facility and come up with a consultant's opinion on what is needed, not what's wanted . . He is the EXPERT!

large
03-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Had a short eMail conversation with Wayne . . He said that he had been here and provided a short outline last year . . I don't actually know what all he told the Advisory board, and I won't mention any names, but apparently he has given some preliminary information to the Board.
But, based upon heresay gathered from several racers . . Someone in the city either hasn't gotten the message or are dreaming their own dreams . .

I also have to state that this surge of cash from the city doesn't seem to be attached to any hard plans or estimates . . More political than practical . . I'm of the opinion that the city or management might or ought to EMPLOY (Meaning monetary reimbursement) Wayne for at least a short duration for primary planning and estimates . . Just for a knowledgeable voice above all the babble . .

But, last night's News report on KOAATV was about as negative a review as you could get from a liberal news source. They implied that the Park's management had been "GIVEN" "Over three quarters of a Million Dollars" with lots of emphasis on the amount, later changing the word "Given" to loaned . . And made inference that the amount the park got cut money to all the other Council Projects in a largely negative way . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

large
03-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Hmmm . . After reading the council's resolution, there actually is no mention of the word "Loan" in the wording . . But there's also nothing there that provides address as to the final use of the $747,000.

"Here, guys, take it and go spend it, and . . if you make any money, we want some of it back . . if you would, please"

Wotta deal!

Deja Vue . . This is very similar to what was done initially in 1973, when council gave PMI (the management company) $134,000 to "develop and build" a Multi-use Racetrack Facility. Except that Regional Planning had provided information to a board of talented people who got about $10 worth of result from each dollar spent . . Thank you, Bill Dickey . .

My guess is that the $747k is today's equivalent of the 1973 $134k . . spend it carefully, gentlemen . . . the world is watching you this time . .

large
04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
While I haven't gotten much return from any of my correspondence, here's what I DO know . .

The local paving Company (La Farge) can, and probably will be the paving contractor on the Dragstrip. However, I don't know who the General will be if La Farge (assumed, at this point) but we do know that the asphalt will need complete scarification with a rotomill or similar machine, at a precise depth, and must be completely even at the start of the concrete launch pad . . Once it's laid, then, according to what's done at other sanctioned tracks, the surface must be ground smooth . .

We also know that the Sanctioning rules require a 60' wide track with concrete barrier on both sides, to 48" vertically, I believe. I'm not sure what the Sanctions require as far as surrounding wall length, whether end of quarter or full length (with egress and access openings). If so, lots of bucks involved in bulletproofing the quarter mile . . And of course, then you gotta move the conduits and wiring for the clocks and signs . .

And with the mention of signs comes another issue of "City Ownership" . . Seeking sponsorships for track infrastructure and operations get quite a bit harder . . Because on one hand, the city takes Taxes to operate this (understood but not necessarily true) and they are asking for voluntary (or charity, as some see it) money to support the place . . (been there, done that) so getting Pepsi or Coke, Frito-Lay or anyone else to co-op the electronic signage, or sound, etc becomes a yoke around the neck of the Management. so to speak . .

It would be interesting, and should be public record, as to how much and what all this is going to constitute, up front . . No surprises as usually things like this turn out to be . . . As in, "They Spent THAT on THAT?"

So far, we, the public knows NOTHING . .

large
04-17-2011, 08:53 AM
OK . . I've learned a little about the Dragstrip and it's operation . . But D*mned little. The "peons" (those who were doing all the things that make a racetrack function on Raceday) were "peoning" . . and they're mostly the same people who originally worked under "Pueblo Motorsports, Inc. management, then "Solutions, Inc. under NEK, and now, the City's agenda, I assume. Two days in a week doesn't make me an expert, but my hearing isn't bad (yet) and there's a lot of grumbling going on. Seemingly because of lack of direction and promotion.

On that last note, the "Manager", apparently one Jason Abney (jabney@pueblo.us) chose to sit down on the starting line, between the Armco barriers, all day with the old staff running the track from the tower . . He either chooses to be absent from the operations direction to be a highly paid spectator, or is there because he really doesn't know, actually, what his job is . .

Incidentally, on both Saturdays, I never saw a City Councilman, the Parks Director or the City Manager. You'd think that when the Governing Body "Invests" $747k in something that they'd be a little concerned about it's operation as well as a chance to go out and do a little glad handing and backslapping . .

As a close friend of mine has asked me to assist him in the operation of his new Race Car, I'm sure I'll be out there quite a bit, and will hear and see much . . The old guys (and Gals) still know who I am . . and one can get an earfull in the staging lanes!

But . . We'll see . . .

large
04-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Further on the Motorsports Park Saga. On the PMP Website, under drag racing forums:http://www.pueblomotorsportspark.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=21d918411f52c821a4e5b8dcfabb1bf4
there is a discussion about the management scheduling paving in late April or early May and then changing the schedule, much to the chagrin of several racers. Apparently this caused the cancellation of a "Bought In" Show and a big fuss with those arranging it . . Turns out John Bandimere will take it and put it on . . The racers aren't out, but PUEBLO is . .

If there's anyone out there that reads the Business comic "Dilbert", last week's episode where the CEO added seven new levels of management so he wouldn't have to deal with the peons reminds me of the new management structure out there . . Same Peons, just several new layers of bureaucrats . . Who won't give a **** if the whole thing turns turtle . .

And . . It would seem that no one knows nothing . . They had a "Driver's Meeting" about a month and a half ago, and lots of promises were made, everything was to be onward, upward . . Big Events, yada, yada . . But in my digging and asking, as far as I can tell, no plans, no Bids let, no construction schedule. Anybody out there that knows anything about it, post it . . Let us know . . enlighten us . . Shut me up . .

Marc.N
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe since it's more of a business deal and not a pork government handout they don't understand how to deal with it?

large
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
It never ceases to amaze me. If Council had told Creighton Wright, Brad Bixler and Jason Abney that it was their job to operate the facility and make their livings off of it, I'm going to bet that they would have a hell of a lot different attitude about how they are going to go about it . . and time, other than not wasting any, wouldn't be part of the equation . . And that pretty much goes for city planning. They can dream up projects, tell the bureaucracy who will pay for it and always underestimate the cost. But few, if any, can make a profit with one of their ideas.

Pueblo Motorsports Park, for all intents and purposes, pretty well stood on it's own for 35 years. But, now with Government directly involved, we aren't two weeks into the season and already theres grumbling because those people above can't keep the promises they made a month ago . .

Hell of a way to run a railroad!

large
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Y'know, I was over on the PMP web site reading about the situation there and there's a couple of guys up there asking questions about who, what and where the "Long Term plans" that the city has for the facility . . And . .

They are being stonewalled . . as are, apparently all the rest of the users out there. Someone has $747k that belongs to somebody else, basically the taxpayer at this time, because as one said, there is no announced agreement about who's got it, what's going to be done, or when it will be started or finished . . and apparently, without that information, a lot of people cannot plan any racing commitment to the Pueblo Track.

What does that all mean? If a Race Track has a low car count, and further damages it's credibility by being unable to schedule or promote events, it becomes what it was in 1971, "Prairie". And expensive prairie at that!

But not a word . .

large
04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Heh, heh . . Starting to figure out how to quickly change the makeup of Pueblo's City Council . . Prior to their executive session, put a pistol on each Council Member's desk . . With guns, there could really be a thinning of the herd . . Pretty quick, I'd bet . .

According to the paper earlier in the week, several Council persons were really pissed about Nawrocki going around and attempting to set agendas behind closed doors.

He says, basically, he didn't do what they are accusing him of, and Ole Jerry Pacheco got caught writing up the proposal without the apparent knowledge of the "Other side" . . Although, Larry Atencio was pretty vociferous and indignant about it, too . .

Nawrocki is kind of a force to deal with because he's a seasoned Bureaucrat as well as being a Progressive Democrat . . So he doesn't play by the rules. Or at least by the ruleset that council has operated by . . Also, I believe he understands nothing about the "Sunshine laws" that legislators in Colorado are bound by . . because as a bureaucrat, he's never been obligated to abide by them . .

large
04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
A note: According to a couple of sources, The Dragstrip at PMP was re-paved in 1987. Now I don't know what the thickness of the lay down was, nor do I know the composition, but it has held up amazingly well . . considering of course, it's 20 years old . .

I'm adding that for a couple of reasons . . First, to put light upon the negative statements, in their words, "Thirty Years of neglect" . . and second, to illuminate the obvious need for new asphalt on the racing surfaces.

large
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Also, adding to the "Neglect", the road course was repaved and several corner anchors and curbs were installed over a period of time . . This coming from one of the former Board members and PMI operators at the track during their later tenure. Leading up to, of course, the city throwing them out for a myriad of non existent reasons . .

I sure do wish that someone who's supposed to know something would answer either my posts or those two guys over on PMP's site, also. The city's population that's interested in the $747k that the City Council offered are all waiting for the answer(s) . .

Or is this a DoD secret?

large
04-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Heh, heh, apparently someone's struck a nerve on the PMP web site and forum. Here's a post by the moderator in response to several pointed questions about the plans and schedules at the racetrack:

Good evening fellow racers,

We are asking all who participate on this website to conduct themselves in a manner that is fair to fellow racers. If you have a concern please forward to the City of Pueblo management team (email addresses provided below). This website is maintained to provide information and respond to racer questions. This year the City has asked me to moderate the website, and I have agreed to do such. I do not manage, make decisions or supply biased information. However, I do forward topics that are posted on this site to the City, when a valid topic is presented. Over the last couple of weeks many constructive criticism posts have been provided followed by extreme negativity. It is preferred that racers send their concerns directly to the City instead of the website. The goal is to maintain our race track and the negativity will only discourage potential racers that would like to join us and eventually result in the lack of, a race track.

From this point forward all pertinent information will be maintained and any negative matter will be removed. Once again, please send your thoughts directly to the City via email if you would like to communicate with the City directly. I cannot guarantee the City management team reviews this website on a frequent basis. I hope you understand the merit of this website for those who seek info.

Just like you I want the track to succeed and hope the City will provide what they promised.

Darrell

And the basic questions are: "What DID the City Promise?"

And isn't his job and his forum, as he explained it, "To provide Information"

Also, if he's passing on information to the City's people, why aren't they answering the questions? Doesn't the sunshine law apply here?

Read more at:http://www.pueblomotorsportspark.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3602

large
04-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, sooner or later we'll get some facts . . I was called and asked to dance . .

We'll see . . .

large
05-14-2011, 07:53 AM
A critique, perhaps. Last night, the City put on the first their well advertised "Friday Nite Drags" . . And they drew a crowd.

Unfortunately, they had no idea of what to do with it when it got there. Add to that a little bad planning or scheduling and the show dragged on into the late hours . . Dunno how late, because I left at 9:30. By that time the track surface had, literally, "Died" . . It was no longer sticky, just cold . . And they had another round of high Horsepower Qualifying and then 3 rounds of eliminations of those cars, plus a considerable number of the regular number of High School Series competitors and the usual Street Racers, and two classes of regular Drag Racers.

Add to that, during the day, they had been allowing the NASA Sports cars to "Hot lap" on the track (they had an event scheduled for Saturday and Sunday) which literally destroys the track surface on the dragstrip, especially down around the starting line. That would probably be acceptable (and usually is or has been on Friday nights) with the exception of the fact that they were going to be running high horsepower 7 second Alcohol cars . . Where traction is a specific requirement.

Thus, the hour and a half or so delay to prepare the track was heroic, but inadequate. Don't get me wrong. the people doing the work out there did their best to give the racers a good surface, but time and the cold wind out of the East didn't allow it. Lots of sideways action for the spectators and no racing for the racers . .

Problem is . . Because of the overlapping events, the time delays and again, from the start, total lack of communication to the people who were actually running the race, which led to many delays within the delays, a lot of those who came with enthusiasm, won't be back because of disappointment.

I could go into detail, but it's really unnecessary here.

But I do have to comment on the political side. One of the "Featured Events of the Evening" was the dedication of the road into the track to Bill Dickey, who not only should have a street named for him, but a granite obelisk in his honor as well. That would probably cost the city more than two street signs so it's highly unlikely . . Heh, heh . . Anyhoo . . None of the City Council People directly responsible for the Loan or operations of the track were there, with the exception of Ray Aguilera, my old buddy, "Packrat" . . .

As an Invitee to the VIP doings, I showed up, and was greeting several old friends and acquaintances, where Ray was with one group. On encountering them I shook hands all around, and when I offered Ray my hand (this was in Public), he said, no mock anger here; "You rip me in the paper and then come out here and try to be my buddy, Who invited you?" My reply was short . . "You're a politician, get used to it and grow a thicker skin, Ray" . . .

Then he had the balls to make a speech and take the credit for being the "Savior" of the facility. But that's all right, Bill will have the street named after him, literally forever, and Packrat will be in office for just another year . . It could be worse . .

Buster.Tripp@Gmail.com
05-14-2011, 10:53 AM
HEHEHE and HAHAHA it could be worse

large
05-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, probably. But I think they "Over reached" a tad. The new management needs to learn to walk before they decide to fly.

large
05-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Hahahahahahaha . . Here we go again . . Council is finding out that their Cadillac won't have wheels and tires . . Regarding the remodel of City Hall.

One would think, with unpredictable economics and tight revenues, that Council would have "Fixed" what needed to be fixed presently, and left the "Plush" to a time when the city's "Flush" . .

But they haven't. And, in the process, they have become another "Let them eat cake" Government.

Between Albany St. on the West and the Highway 50 bypass on the East, on East Fourth Street, there's 23 "Serious" pot holes and two ragged drain pans that'll either knock your alignment out or ruin a tire. Considering the fact that they've been there since before PackRat and Larry Autencio began divvying up the "Black heart" Tax money for Ball fields, Minnequa Park and Pueblo Motorsports Park, and, the City hall Remodel, it points to a group who doesn't really grasp what the City Government is there for . .

Granted, that is "One Time Revenue" but it's fungible. And Government is supposed to take care of the Needs that it's that it's supposed to maintain before it spends revenue of any kind on Wants.

I suppose a good analogy would be a poor person who can't afford groceries finding $1000 . . Gee, should he go to the grocery store or buy a new TV?

Council bought the TV . . .

Marc.N
05-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Why fix streets when you can have lots of fun giving hundreds of thousands to consultants to create bizzare plans that make normal people go WTF!

large
05-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm always dazzled when they say they have to spend "One Time" Revenue on something other than the Infrastructure, because? It's "One Time" revenue! It's apparently not fungible, but must be spent on frivolity or some thing we really don't need but now have the money to buy . .

Nor can they put any of the "One Time" money into a "Rainy Day Fund" . . I'm going to go out on a limb here and attempt to explain why . . Simple. Those acquiring the money by hook or crook doesn't want anyone else spending it. If they put it away for something that might happen down the road, then they might not be in office when a need for it came up . . and they wouldn't get the credit for spending it.

large
06-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm still wondering what the City and the Parks Department did with all that money they got from City Council. The timing system for the Drag Strip is the same one that was there when I was there . . Nothing wrong with it that a $2000 upgrade wouldn't take care of . .

Why do I bring it up? Last Friday night we waited in the staging lanes for two and a half hours, to make JUST ONE PASS . . . And the excuse for starting over an hour and a half late was . . The printer in the Time Slip Building wouldn't work . .

The "New City Management's" growing pains are going to kill the facility.

large
07-01-2011, 08:26 AM
OK, time to badmouth the Parks Department and their continuing stonewalling on the operation and "remodeling" of Pueblo Motorsports Park . .

While the people who work there on race day do their best to keep the track's operations running well, management either seems to be non existent or dumber than a box of rocks . . Attendance is falling off, promotion is basically non existent and what promotion there is, seems to be totally ignorant of anything going on at any other track(s) in the vicinity . .

The only specific interest and use seems to be the road racing contingent, and I'm sure that's because the Advisory board is made up of all road racers. Their schedules dominate the summer's activities, and in a couple of cases, overlap others . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

Loren Swelk
07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't put it past the city council that they set it up to fail, by putting the wrong guy in the job and then not following through with their promise, just a "wait til next year". They could save three quarters of a million dollars to go into one of their pet projects next year.

large
07-01-2011, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't put it past the city council that they set it up to fail, by putting the wrong guy in the job and then not following through with their promise, just a "wait til next year". They could save three quarters of a million dollars to go into one of their pet projects next year.

Here you go . . For over eight years, the city planners have shown a four lane road from Joe Martinez in Pueblo West to the intersection of Pueblo Blvd and 24th Street. Now what would make the city spend their precious resources on a road that would only help Pueblo West Commuters and the CDOT? This road(s) wouldn't be necessarily cheap either because of the existing terrain, Gullies and the need to do a lot of cut and fill. More fill than cut, as well as a couple of either very large culverts or small bridges . . It certainly would require a buck or two that the city says it doesn't have . .

And, again, what would be gained by that expenditure? Easier access to PMP? That certainly wouldn't justify the cost, now, would it . . ?

Unless . . . The City can write the facility off as a loser . . then they can convert all that racetrack and prairie dog town into a commercial development. Sell the land and reap the sales taxes . . Look Ma, we're rich and we only had to lie to a few fools . . .

Unless someone from the City or the Board of Advisors wants to disprove what has been said . . and up to this point, none have either the backbone or the plans and estimates . .

large
07-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Yesterday, a "Josephine Gonzales-Gifford" announced her candidacy for the City Council at Large seat, currently held by Vera Ortegon. And while I know nothing more about the lady than what was published in the Chieftain today, I gotta ask, can we get some potential candidates who aren't part and parcel of the "System"?

The article stated that she works in a volunteer status for CASA and she also works as a Security guard during at the Colorado State Fair . . Huh?

What, actually does the woman do for a living? Kind of like the County Commissioner Candidate Griego, is she supported by the very system she's asking to be made a director of? Again, a very blatant conflict of Interest.

It seems the Democrats in Pueblo County have neither shame nor Imagination . .

large
07-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Annnnd . . . . . gotta say something about the Parks Department operating of Pueblo Motorsports Park . .

It's kind of a mixed bag . . On one hand they seem to be making an effort. They ARE Promoting the track and booking events. They are making improvements in places that have been either overlooked or just never got done . . The Lighting has been upgraded on down the track so that you don't have to shut down a 140 mph pass in the dark (Literally). They are apparently serious about bringing the Physical Plant up to a better level.

On the other hand, there is a lot of grumbling from the people who make it all happen. The tower People, the track guys and the staging personnel are all either pissed or being taken advantage of, not communicated with, or aren't being heeded when they try to make things work that don't . . And when you're working out in 100° heat for seven or more hours, two days in a row, you need to be listened to by your bosses. Don't make it any harder than it is . .

Having been there done that, I know even when everything's rolling along just fine in appearance, just below the surface there's a lotta work and imagination being applied by quite a few good people . . Bad enough you get a dummy mixed in with the worker bees once inna while but when the King Bee isn't learning very quick, a two day race can be a real bummer . . .

Also, the other day, in a casual conversation, I was apprised of a glimpse of what they want (or are going) to do when they begin paving. I dunno how concrete it is so for the immediate future, I'll keep my mouth shut and watch . . But they are indeed putting some thought into the overall picture and making it a better multi use facility.

I just hope they put the spectator parking across the track where it originally was, rather than use about 50% of the available pit space for a limited amount of parking . . Anybody out there listening?

large
08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Posted online this morning . .

Motorsports operation supervisor opening @ pmi new job opening
Motorsports Operations Supervisor

This is an FLSA-exempt position under the general direction of the Pueblo Motorsports Park and Contracts Manager. This position supervises, oversees and coordinates motorsports operations including the maintenance and repair of facilities and associated equipment, grounds and furnishings including refurbishing, renovation and improvement projects and activities; assists in coordinating assigned recreational motorsports-oriented activities, such as drag racing, quarter midget racing, road course racing, off-road vehicle and motorcycle recreation, driver training, special events, concessions, overnight camping, and other recreational and motorsports activities; provides administrative support to assigned management staff; and performs a variety of duties relative to assigned areas of responsibility including duties of similar classifications of an equal or lower pay grade.

More Information and Application

Qualifications
In addition to the knowledge, skills, and abilities the position requires:

An Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university;
At least three (3) years of facility operations management experience including supervision of personnel;
A minimum of one (1) year management-level experience in an automotive race track; and
A valid driver’s license at the time of application and a valid Colorado Driver’s License by date of appointment.

or

At least a high school diploma or GED;
At least five (5) years of facility operations management experience including supervision of personnel;
A minimum of one (1) year management-level experience in an automotive race track; and
A valid driver’s license at the time of application and a valid Colorado Driver’s License by date of appointment.

Preferred:
First Responder CPR

Special Requirements
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:

Required within 6 months of employment:
· NHRA safety course
· First Aid Certification
· NHRA Tech Certification
· NHRA Track Manager Certification

If an employee meeting qualification number two is selected, the employee will be required to obtain an Associate’s Degree within a reasonable time as stipulated by the Director of Parks and Recreation.

All required licenses and certifications must be maintained throughout the term of employment. Failure to obtain or maintain licenses and certifications may result in demotion or termination. The individual must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule. Must be willing to work multiple weekends and evenings.

Miscellaneous Information

EXAMINATION: Date and type to be announced. (NOTICE: The Commission may use a Training & Experience (T&E) evaluation of your application to establish an eligibility list for this classification.)

Gotta ask, what happened here? Did Creighton Wright (and the City) jump in without checking the water temp and what kinda fishies were in the water?

Loren Swelk
08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Methinks they have a vest pocket applicant. Not too many people out there with 5 years facilities experience and 1+ years management level experience of an automotive racetrack. It doesn't list a pay range and since it is an exempt position they can pay whatever they want; and they should if they can get the right person and let him/her run it.

large
08-03-2011, 10:34 AM
And the chances are very good at that, although there are very few experienced Track operators out there that would want to work for a government operated enterprise, as well as very few with much college background.

After being out there as a competitor, the lack of imagination by the top has floored me. I made a couple of suggestions to the operator (Jason) that would have sped up the staging and kept the hiccups out of the program, and was told later that the top level wanted it done the way they were doing it . .

Apparently Wright isn't interested in results, but how it's done bureaucratically . .

I can't believe that they are unhappy with their results for their first season of operation under a new operator . . First, they started their program late, without any co-ordination with any area or division tracks, and while that isn't particulartily their fault, the operator is severely limiting their field of attendance.

Then, they shot themselves in the foot immediately with their "Grand Opening Fiasco" . . Basically, if it's your "First Wedding" you can't call yourself a "Wedding Planner" . . even if it were to go far better than did The one PMP had . .

Then, they also have a fairly weak (you can say that again) economy to deal with. Lots of their potential Friday Nite Racers aren't Puebloans, but are from the Springs and the Valley, and many say it's getting too expensive to travel down and or race . .

Add to that their loss of viability to many of the racers (and workers) by their hit and miss initial schedule, and their lack of transparency about plans and current operation. Basically, just about everytime you go out to comete it's done differently. This, of course, tends to upset the competitors who show up, who, like most humans, don't like insecurity and constant change . .

But, running this operation doesn't take a rocket scientist. It does require common sense, the ability to do kitchen table accounting, and the need to be a "People person" . . to all those you have contact with, starting with those loyal enough to the sport (and facility) to come out there every race, deal with know it all racers, Heat, Rain, etc, and make it all work. Both the Drag strip and the Motocross facility need those people to function. They all, for the most part, are part time or weekend workers and do a ****ed good job. Currently, they're not real happy. They should be.

Then you must get along with those who provide the show. They're not idiots, and most know how other tracks function . . You do have to provide a clean, simple facility and keep everything smooth. If you're going to rent out pit spaces to repeat competitors, you need to designate those spaces as such, and provide pit access for the occasional or low buck racer. If you buy in shows, again, figure out where you're going to put those Bought Ins before everyone gets there. If I paid for a space, I don't want the manager or a co-ordinator coming and running me out so the show has a place to park . .

Finally, spectators . . You're competing for the entertainment buck. That simple. Bracket Racing, by itself, won't bring in much.

Just another 2 cents worth . .

large
08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
After listening close to several associates, I find that the Advisory board either doesn't know the status of the Current Manager or we're back to the "Manhattan Project' . .

large
08-09-2011, 06:10 AM
And now, according to this morning's Chieftain, the City Council has decided, once again, that it's "Broke" . .

I'm surprised that it doesn't have a Hangover . . . That's what you usually have after you've gone out and spent all your money and have little to show for it . .

But we still have those potholes . .

large
08-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Last night on the local TV news, Packrat said in an interview, that they are going to have to watch all city spending closely because revenues are down, and that they would have to save for the "Future" . .

You really couldn't say that a year ago when they had just spent $20 million and were starting on another $10 million . .

large
08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
This Morning's Paper has coverage of last night's City Council Meeting . . And after you read it, if you don't ask yourself "What the Hell could they be thinking?" then you either didn't read it or didn't understand what you read . . .

It seems that the original $2.5 Million dollar overhaul of City Haul, which ballooned into $5.5 million doesn't include a "Council Chambers" . . for their weekly meetings . . Which would make anyone who even remotely understands the Planning/Financing/Building process say "Huh?" or again, "What the Hell could they be thinking?". How could seven people miss this? Or did they? Is this a crisis brought about by someone in the process to justify more spending or individuals in power flexing their power muscles by asking for changes and niot understanding the added costs . .

A couple of years ago, I sat in a meeting and listened to the Architectural Presentation from HGF . . In it, there was a discussion about the unisex Bathroom off the Council's meeting chamber, so at that time (at the estimated $4 million plus an IT grant for $1.5 million) the Chamber was included. Recently I read that the GYM that was planned for the basement was to be excluded (?) and the rest of the basement was to be left unfinished for the most part . . and in today's paper it alluded to the third floor (where the Council's offices and Chamber was to be) was to be left partially unfinished (Including, apparently, the Meeting Chamber), which brings one to ask, again . . "What the hell are they spending $5.5 million dollars on?"

And brings another question to front, "Why did anyone bother with plans and estimates?"

Should have just brought in Jim Bishop and said "Start Building" . . .

Buster.Tripp@Gmail.com
08-16-2011, 05:53 PM
And what is new with this? Been this way for as long as I can remember. If they have no meeting place they hear no complaints. Mostly every thing done nowdays is behind closed doors.

large
08-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, there's a point to all this pointing . .

According to the history of several of the Council, they are supposed to be knowledgeable about how business is conducted in the real world . . Because they are "Business People" . . People supposedly successful at running a business before they became City Council members . .

Now I'm not going to just point at "The new Guys", Nawrocki, Kaufman and Garcia, because although they should share the blame for this, they weren't on Council when all this nonsense started . . Although they shouldn't just stand by and watch it happen, which is pretty much how Nawrocki sees it . . .

Nope, you had Occhiatto, and Thurston, both Commercial Real Estate brokers and salesmen, and you had Barb Vidmar, a local Auto Dealership owner who was the executive in charge of several of the Dealership's expansions . .

And . . You have Jerry Pacheco, who put the deal together . . A Planner before he became the (interim) City Manager . . which would imply that Jerry knows the basics of planning, financing and building, even if those on City Council didn't . . But they should have, after all, those same council members built the Police Station and had to toe the line on it. And even though it cost more than the 19 mil it was supposed to according to the voter's directions, they got in it for about $21 mil so it wasn't too bad for Gub'mint work . .

So . . it makes one wonder, do these people pay any attention to much of anything? And is there anything like "Continuity of Office" when one term expires and a new member comes in?

large
08-25-2011, 07:29 AM
More on Planning and "City Business" . . (This is also posted under the "Drag Racing" Thread, but I thought it should be read by more than the sports guys)

And . . . . PMP had a Drag Racing School and Sponsored Race scheduled for Friday and Saturday of this weekend . . It was canceled YESTERDAY because of lack of Interest, apparently . .

The first problem here is future creditability. Again, as I've said in another thread, Racers, generally schedule quite a ways ahead on the calendar. I'm sure others besides our operation were inconvenienced. And it may cause them to think twice before including an event that might conflict with another next year, perhaps bypassing the PMP event because they can't be sure it will happen . . .

The second problem is the apparent inability of the current management to promote their events outside the Pueblo County Line. While I was aware of the event due to past connections, apparently few other racers were, and seemingly NONE North of Palmer Divide, where the real market lies . . Which again begs the question, is the City of Pueblo's Government serious about operating the facility successfully, or are they just faking it so they can declare the Racetrack a monetary failure, build a road, and sell the PMP properties as commercial business property and put the money in the bank?

That still seems to be the direction this is going . . .

large
09-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Ho, Ho . . Last night's City Council meeting was apparently better than the Broncos-Raiders game . . The inmates who got elected and desired to run the Zoo got set back a little . . Nawrocki can't vote for his agency, and he knew that when he ran for Office. Now Sandy Daff is in the same boat. She's running to fill Packrat's seat because he's term limited. So why elect people who have limitations of Office?

Now, let's add to that . . Why elect people who are and have always made a living in the public sector? They don't have a clue about how Business works, as we've noted while watching the Community organizer turned President work at screwing the pooch nationally.

So we should elect a few more of them for City leaders?

Don't think so . . .

large
10-04-2011, 06:28 AM
And now . . The latest installment of "As the Stomach turns" . .

The "City Hall Remodel" which started out at the City Manager, Jerry Pacheco's initial estimate (and selling point) as $2.5 million dollars, has now morphed into SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS and the complaint last night was that the offices for the city manager, city attorney, city clerk, finance office and the sales tax offixces in the basement will be "Just white boxes", drywalled and painted . . no new furnishings, etc . .

Isn't that what you get when you buy a new house? What the hell are they using for office furniture and equipment now? Are there specific rules against using that stuff in the rooms that they came out of two years ago, or are we looking at a typical DoD move. "Abandon all equipment because it isn't worth the cost of moving it", although, generally, the cost of replacement will be far greater than the cost of moving it would be . . ?

And . . Pacheco (as well as City Council President Ray Aguilera) stated that it (the remodel) was a "once in a lifetime deal" . . Dunno whose life they're talking about but in my short lifetime I can remember at least one major remodel back in the '70's, and now one at the turn of the 21st century . . 30-35 years does not a lifetime make . . .

Aren't we lucky to have so many people looking after our tax dollars so well?

large
10-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Today's Chieftain, in the "Ideas" Section has 3 editorials on the front page.

One by Ray Aguilera, Current City Council president, http://www.chieftain.com/opinion/ideas/black-hills-here-to-stay-but-we-will-pay/article_0bf95654-f20d-11e0-8a6d-001cc4c03286.html

One by Mike Occhiato, former City councilman and President, http://www.chieftain.com/opinion/ideas/missed-opportunities-for-city-owned-utility/article_46ed2c22-f20d-11e0-8588-001cc4c03286.html

And current councilmember, Chris Kaufman, http://www.chieftain.com/opinion/ideas/we-need-more-facts-to-secure-the-future/article_cca5e2d2-f20d-11e0-b3d7-001cc4c03286.html

Pretty much boilerplate CYA, but with a little interesting history thrown in.

However, Kaufman offers some alternatives that might be looked into and voted upon.

Problem is, as Occhiato illuminated, We (Pueblo) are not alone in this, there are other communities up and down the Arkansas Valley who are affected, although at this point they aren't sharing the increasing costs of Electricity, nor have they in the past to the extent Pueblo has . . Therefore they don't feel the current need to either demand the Colorado PUC hold Black Hill's rates down or find another Electricity provider . . That's gonna take some salesmanship . . something apparently Occhiato's Council wasn't able to do . .

Anyway, if you're a customer of Black Hills Utilities, it might be worth a read . . Just so you'll know that you may not get kissed, but you're gonna get screwed!

Marc.N
10-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I just have to chime in. Sorry.

I learned all I needed to know about the state of the various US governmental entities about 7 years ago.......

While sitting in a room with a group of people who were approved for government retraining assistance the director of that office explained why we would have our services delayed for a considerable period of time, months.

(Keep in mind I am NOT engaged in my usual biting sarcasm nor hyperbole.)

They just HAD to have their carpet replaced. She explained in detail why it had to be replaced so as to gain our acceptance of why we would need to have our futures delayed.

This carpet speech seemed to be written by the staff at Saturday Night Live. I and the other attendees looked at the carpet and then each other and spoke later as to the surreal situation. The carpet was fine. She sounded like a spoiled billionaires wife who just hated the carpet in their penthouse.

large
10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey Marc, you've been missed . . good to hear from you . . .

And you're right as rain . . there's little difference between a bureaucrat and a spoiled rich kid (or wife) . . .

Marc.N
10-10-2011, 11:01 AM
yea Large. What ever happened to duty, honor, country. Maybe I'm a deluded retard who drank the kool-aid and it never was for real but it breaks my heart either way. whatever. Can't go over to the dark side though. I think u know what I mean.

large
11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
And now, back to the $747,000 that's supposed to be spent on Pueblo Motorsports Park . . According to press releases posted on the "Pueblo Motorsports Park Site: http://www.pueblomotorsportspark.us/cgi-bin/gt/tpl_page.html,template=51&content=1816&nav1=9& . . things are not going well . . it appears that whoever the General Contractor is, they can't get their subs to do anything and have (Their quote) "No control over the sub contractors" and no paving has been done . . not surprising since they screwed around when it was warm and now have to deal with winter and no workable substrate temps until probably late March, mid April at the earliest . . and, according to the same source they'll need at least six weeks of good weather to leach the oil out of the asphalt after paving . .

First race in June? One has to ask, how can they schedule when they can't schedule their contractors?

Just Sayin' . . . . .

Loren Swelk
11-30-2011, 08:59 PM
With the new council coming in and the projected budget shortfall for 2012, they can turn out the lights, the partys' over I'm afraid.

large
12-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Although I'm "almost" sure that they aren't that dumb collectively, I certainly hope they're not. They'd be left with a high dollar concrete slab, about 8" thick, and 420 feet long, at least 60' wide . . too short to be either a runway or a dragstrip . . Got no idea of what it cost . .

Councilman-elect Nicolls has continually said they should have leased it to a real racetrack promoter and taken a specific amount of profit percentages, which I concur would have been the best way to do it. The whole fuss back when the city took it away from PMI was about NEK's future as an operator and their real intent, which was divined as use it up and walk away . . The City Council made their decisions on bad or no information . . And Government of any kind has little ability to conduct any business efficiently . .

And we're seeing this now . . Inability to set up RFBs, no timeline, lack of adequate supervision, and a myriad of excuses from the Parks Department who's supposed to be in charge . . This will affect their upcoming seasonal calendar and the people who would have attended . .

Meaning, the potential for both a successful and profitable season is waning away because of apparent ineptitude . .

Sandra
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Projected budget shortfall? They'll make up for that in the increase of sewer rates, I'm sure. Council sets that and it's going up (again) this year.

Don't anyone use any water in December, January, and February if you want to keep your sewage rates low for the rest of the year.

large
12-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Projected budget shortfall? They'll make up for that in the increase of sewer rates, I'm sure. Council sets that and it's going up (again) this year.

Don't anyone use any water in December, January, and February if you want to keep your sewage rates low for the rest of the year.

Different deal . . One of the few things they haven't put into the general fund and double dipped on . . The sewer fees are collected through your water bill and goes towards the maintenance and continual upgrades the EPA requires . . And, as usual we're a couple years short on meeting the "New" Requirements . .

Loren Swelk
12-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Am I mistaken or at one time did John Bandimere express mild interest in running PMI?

large
12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Actually, it was more than a "Mild" interest. Back about 1988 there was a pretty good discussion about it being the Southern Extension of the Front Range Racing Community. At that time, PMP had a racer base of 145 cars and Bandimere had somewhere around 500+, of which, most of the 145 here was a part of that 500. Tracks don't (or shouldn't) compete . . they share . .

As John Jr is no longer the CEO, I dunno whether they'd be interested in getting involved with the local politics that would go with operating it . . I believe John III is the current CEO, but I'm also sure, John Jr. still has a little input that's heeded closely . . I can say this . . Few if any promoters, including Bruton Smith, would be interested in inheriting a half (or less) finished facility and putting money into it, once they has looked at the current history of the facility.

Sandra
12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
One of the few things they haven't put into the general fund and double dipped on . .

YET. (OK, I'm somewhat teasing here.)

large
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Y'know, I've been doing a little addition and subtraction, relating to the Pueblo Motorsports Park project and there's some questions I can't quite answer . .

Way back when, and lost in all the shouting was the offer by the Colorado Motorsports Council of $80,000 for PMP is the City would match it . . .

Now things got louder and eventually, the City Council (Vera Ortegon, President) put up $747,000, and according to the PMP website, it was to be repaid by increasing the city revenues through more track attendance by out of towners, etc.

The first question might be, where is that $80k? Is it additional funding or was it put into the city's offer? If it's additional outside funding then currently, the city's spending on the facility is still in the black . . If not, we're $10,283.80 in the red . . . . So . . wheres that gonna come from? and what about the other projects in the job that aren't going to get done? Bleacher remodel? Access road?

I'm asking because after the first of the year, there'll be a sea change in the City Council makeup and PMP will have few, if any friends on the Council . .

large
12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Ok . . I went back and dug a little. According to the city's press release on May 6 to the Chieftain, they claimed to have $961,000 in the kitty to do the remodel . .

And here's where it supposedly came from . . .

$747,000 from the City Council Loan

$114,000 left over paving funds

$100,000 from "Private Committments" . .

I'm going to assume the $80k committment from CMC is in the $100k the city spoke of . .

So, while they're still in the Black, they won't be in the end . . they're going to come up short and the new council isn't going to come up with the change, I'm betting . . .

And, the reason I'm prognosticating that they'll come up short is . . Their estimate for the slab and asphalt: $616,000 . . The actual cost: $757,283.80 . . difference: $141,283.80 . . not quite 20% over the original estimates . . and if they're 20% over on everything else, well, there's that "Half a Loaf" . . .

Again, Government needs to stay out of the world of Business . .

large
12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
In the Paper this morning! "CITY HAS $3M OFF-ROAD PARK PLAN" . . . and in smaller print . . "If they can win a $3 million grant from the state next year" . .

OK . . . And then they continue by telling us that the "Park" is still in the "Preliminary Planning Stage" . . Huh? . .

They've been "Planning" this project for 6 years . . What's left to do? Or, are they going to abandon the land swap and 4 lane road through the property from Joe Martinez to 24th Street and start all over?

While they must do something about the unsupervised (and at this stage, illegal) motorcycle and 4 wheel off road riding going on at the park daily, fencing and patrols is going to be an expensive proposition without some outside help . .

So far, they've been very lucky that although they've had a couple of serious accidents out there (one person from Colorado Springs is still in the Hospital recuperating from injuries sustained while riding out there last spring) no one has sued (Yet). But that's just a matter of time, and not just IF, but when . . And, assuming that the City of Pueblo is still "Self Insured", they can ill afford such a suit . .

Sandra
12-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Large, I'm beginning to wonder about priorities after reading your last three posts. IF the city can get a 3 million dollar grant - should it go to a motorsports park when we have school children in need of school houses and air conditioning?

Now, I realize that funding can be complicated and recreation funding isn't meant for education - but the overall picture just makes this city look, to me, like it's been set on its ear.

Loren Swelk
12-09-2011, 09:40 AM
In my limited experience with grant writing and receiving it was never a good idea to announce you were "hoping to" receive a large grant. It tended to piss off the grantor who then looks bad to the affected community when the grant goes elsewhere and then also tips your hand to others seeking similar funds who now know your strategy. Better to keep quiet and then announce your success. Two cases in point:
WalMart warehouse for Pueblo West disengrated when County Commissioners Nunez and Cordova opened their mouths.
Council President Ray Aguilera touting his statewide popularity by announcing pending low income housing grant for Pueblo which then went to Denver and Aguilera publicly crying foul for a month.
It is better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
This is why PedCo steadfastly refuses to brief the Council on their business relocation leads.

large
12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
In your post Sandra, it's "Apples and Oranges" . . and Education's never ending need for money might be just as suspect as a "Motorsports Park" . . After all, do we really need the City park and it's Zoo?

Depends upon your priorities . . . as well as the needs of the community . . Were you to go out to PMP on any given weekend, you'll find more people recreating on motorized vehicles than you'll find at the same time at the City Park or Zoo, thus showing that there definitely is a need for that space. Add to that, probably 25% of those riding at PMP are from out of town, where you won't see that at the City park, you can see where the money, spent correctly, would compound itself and still fit within the needs of the Community.

Pueblo Schools, on the other hand, have a declining attendance. And they can't tell anyone precisely why. BUT . . that's a fact and if the numbers of attendance are declining, then it uses less classroom space. It's not economically efficient, nor so far, proven academically, to have 10-14 student classes . . although the teachers love it . . A public School Teacher in Pueblo, teaching less than 15 students can be considered as a very expensive Tutor . . But, history has proven another thing . . it doesn't make the students any smarter or achieve more . . actually, close to the reverse . . So while $3 million could and would be spent by the district, it wouldn't make anything better . . just more expensive to maintain . . because, after the $3 million was spent, they'd have to go back to the taxpayes to get the next $3 million . .

Now that I've stirred that hive, lets move on to the next . . .

Heh, heh . . Filthy Fred used the threat of you not being able to get a job cleaning out sh*thouses in Mississippi after he fired you, if you let anything about a grant being researched, applied for, or even after getting it, telling ANYBODY about the amount. That was HIS job! . . And . . for every dozen grants you apply for, you may get one . . that's Federal, and they're relatively easy . . State? Definitely don't hold your breath . .

In either case, the Slots in Wendover are closer and have better odds . .

Sandra
12-09-2011, 10:43 AM
You actually made a good point - no matter how much money we throw at the schools, if we don't have quality educators then we'll continue to have declining school scores, however parenting plays a role in that, too.

Pueblo is the 9th most dangerous city in the US, and we do have a lot of gang activity here. I wonder if the declining attendence roles might have anything to do with the drop out rate and the increase in gang activity among our youth. But that's another topic for another time, I'm sure - I didn't intend to hijack the topic - I was just trying to point out how peculiar it looks that while the schools are screaming for money we're talking about recreation. FWIW - the zoo can also be considered to be educational. But your point is well taken.

large
12-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I wasn't casting aspersions upon the individual educators, but possibly the system we seem to have chosen to "Educate" our children publicly . . . But the money we have continued to throw at the system and seemingly get "Less" in return just doesn't justify throwing anymore . .

As for the "Declining Attendance", in the last article including a press release from Pueblo City Schools, they stated that overall, they could not identify a specific cause for the declining attendances. But when you have increasing enrollment, you build schools. When attendance declines, you close schools. It's really no more complex than that . . Those who want to keep the schools open, generally are doing so for economic reasons rather than the "love of the edifice" . . The property values may change around the school, (one of the current complaints) or the neighborhood no longer hosts a school building for outside uses within that community, or for other less important reasons . . Like the moms have to start just a little earlier because their kids have to travel a little further to get to school . . stuff like that . .

In the case of PMP, it is (and should be) all about money. PMP is a facility that should be able to pay back to the City and Community that uses it and supports it . . It's a business and needs to be treated as such! The $747,000 (plus) that they're spending out there now, and if they're lucky enough to get a grant of $3 million, that money, also, needs to be "INVESTED", not thrown into, so that it comes back to the community in the form of a percent of operational profits and tax revenues gained by local and visiting participants and spectators . . And the more successful the whole operation, the better it will be and the better off the citizens who have been so generous to put up the initial investment will be . .

Sandra
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
"educators" also refers to the Board, though. The entire team are the District's educators whether they care to realize that or not. It's time for them to get serious and start pulling our scores out of the mire. D70 is passing us by - why? Money? Yes, they have some, but they also have higher standards of education, from what I'm hearing.

I'm also hearing that some Pueblo parents are driving their kids to school there. That could help explain the attendance rolls issue.

Marc.N
12-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Public schools are run and taught by union government employees except for the upper crust. Since it's union I'd expect........

large
03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Hmmm, time for gumbling about how (or who) the city's departments do things, and who they let get the blame for it not happening . .

Two years ago, the City Council loaned, granted, or gave, $747,000 to Pueblo Motorsports Park . . And they announced plans to do certain things . . and . . Being a government entity, they are supposed to do those things in an open and transparent manner . .

When they "Bid" the new concrete launch pad (430' X 60') a company from Bumf--k, Egypt got the job, because they, we were told, had done the same for Bruton Smith's "Z-Max" Racetracks in Charlotte, NC . . And they paid a premium for it . . I've walked it, and it's certainly impressive. A huge, REALLY flat, single poured slab of very smooth concrete . . But I've walked on and raced on the one at the Bandimere Family's facility in Morrison, CO and I can't see any difference except Bandimere's has heating and cooling pipes in it . . Not that that matters, other than . . cost? There really wasn't a lot of difference, considering the difference . . .

And . . over $500,000 to pave two miles of asphalt with an inch and a half overlay? Well, yeah, I understand that it's a "Special Mix" but what the hell is in it? Oh, a tehnical secret? I understand . . Certainly it's nothing we'd use on a city street or highway . . BECAUSE EVEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT COULDN'T AFFORD TO PAVE A TWO LANE HIGHWAY FROM PUEBLO TO COLORADO SPRINGS AT THESE RATES!

But that's not the worst part . . after two years of obfuscation, in which the management people of the race track were obliged to answer the questions and take the brunt of abuse from people like me who P & M about the lack of haste and transparency of the whole operation . .

Turns out, the track management people have nothing to say about when and how anything out there happens that might involve Capital Construction, Maintenance or improvement . .

And so far what dectective work I've had time to do, points to the Planning Department as overseer's of the operations . . at least from the bidding and construction ends . .
Why it's taken so long to bid and start the final portions of the project is a good question, and now I guess we'll have to go find the right person to ask . .

large
03-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Why it's taken so long to bid and start the final portions of the project is a good question, and now I guess we'll have to go find the right person to ask . .

Monday, March 26th, 2012 is the starting date for paving. They will do their prep and set up a batch Plant on site . . Completion date hasn't been disclosed but it's obviously going to be before the May 11 Opening date . .

That's from a note just found in an old dog food can on my back porch this morning . .

But it was from a source that should know . . .

Loren Swelk
03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Monday, March 26th, 2012 is the starting date for paving. They will do their prep and set up a batch Plant on site . . .

That is only if Jerry Pacheco doesn't divert the funds to pay for new paving on the streets in front of Council Member's homes.

Bob Nattering
03-21-2012, 11:17 AM

That's from a note just found in an old dog food can on my back porch this morning . .

But it was from a source that should know . . .

Don't you guys down there have email and cell phones?

Loren Swelk
03-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Don't you guys down there have email and cell phones?

I have a mail slot and a princess rotary phone.

large
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Hell, I'm still feeding Pigeons!

webmaster
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.bda-online.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Businessman_Using_Tin_Can_Telephone-Alan-Schintu-Article.jpg

large
03-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Now I know that's not true, because the last letter I sent to "Tellit to the Chieftain", they fed my pigeon and sent her home . .

Marc.N
03-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Now I know that's not true, because the last letter I sent to "Tellit to the Chieftain", they fed my pigeon and sent her home . .

Birds of a feather...etc...

large
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Today's April 19th . . The Drag Strip portion of Pueblo Motorsports Park is paved.

They'll finish up the road course, probably by next Wednesday, if the weather works for them . .

The new slab and asphalt was put down laser level with "State of the Art" equipment so that it's "Perfectly level" in any direction. No crown through the 1320' part . . The racers should love it, but then, maybe not . . nothing left to "B*tch' about . . Ahhh, they'll find something . .

So now it's time to see if the "investment" was worth it . .

Hope so . . .

Marc.N
04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
. . nothing left to "B*tch' about . .. . . . .

That sucks!!!! Where's the joy in nothing to B*tch about!!!

The city needs to invent a Department of Something To B*tch About.

Just think of the possibilities and national renown. Pueblo would be a legend in it's own time.

"Breaking news!!! ..today KRGTYM News released, from an inside credible Pueblo Government source who was not authorized to speak on the case publicly, Large appointed to head the newly formed DOSTBA".

Meeerow! FFFffttt! :rant:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

large
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
. . . . . . Ahhh, they'll find something . . . . . . .

They always do . . . . .

large
07-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Did someone on City Council see Armageddon? This morning's paper tells us that the sun is rising upon the council or "Reality" is finally here . . . Here's the quick read . .

City Council sat down to go over Pueblo’s finances on Friday, took a long look at the $5.6 million budget shortfall it expects next year and declared it couldn’t afford to be generous anymore.

“We need to get the word out that we’re feeling stingy from now on,” Councilman Chris Nicoll joked during the half-day work session to look at the 2013 budget. But he wasn’t really joking.

Council didn’t make any official decisions at Friday’s get-together, but there was little argument among the seven on one point — nonprofit groups accustomed to receiving city support will need to share in any budget cutting done this year. And council would frown on any last minute, emergency pleas for help.

There were the usual headaches — Pueblo Motorsports Park wants $300,000 more to improve the city’s racetrack complex, all in the hopes of making a profit one day.

Council wasn’t interested in shelling out that kind of money or any additional money for the city-owned racetrack on which council already has spent about $1 million for refurbishing.

“Maybe we should see if the racing groups would like to operate it as a (nonprofit),” Councilman Leroy Garcia suggested.

“Or, sell it,” countered Council President Chris Kaufman.

Finance Director Sam Azad suggested that council give the racing community another year to see if it could begin to return the city’s investment.

Council also decided to change the longstanding policy of giving the city manager $100,000 in a “discretionary” fund to pay for smaller budget items, such as requests from local nonprofit groups for charitable contributions or equipment. The problem is that council often doesn’t know on what the manager has spent that money. Councilwoman Sandy Daff acknowledged that she had caused a number of the expenses listed on former City Manager Jerry Pacheco’s account by asking for small donations for one project or another. “They were all to the good, so I’m not apologizing,” she laughed.

Nobody disagreed, but there was a strong feeling that the manager’s fund should be smaller and council should have more oversight over expenditures.

There was some good news. The Pueblo City-County Library District has revised its request for city help in building a new East Side library.

The district believes it only needs $109,000 from the city to build a new branch library.

My problem with their problem with PMP is . . The "Sell it' was (and is) the option that Pacheco and his planners have lobbied for in the past 7-8 years . . The "let the racers make a "non-Profit' and run it themselves" is exactly what was working before Randy Thurston, NEK, Solutions,inc. and a council that had no clue but decided to "Do Something" . . A little "overkill" on some parts and not enough on others . . But that's all water under the bridge. PMP can make a profit, but probably not the way it's being done currently. While I like the current management people for the most part, and would concur that they are working pretty hard at making the thing a success, their individual risk is minimal for the most part . . which tend to make both competitors and spectators ask "Is this all I get?" Not because those people running it don't work at producing races and entertainment, but everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) expects MORE from the Government!

My advice to anyone and everyone who has a bone to pick over PMP is to see if it will support itself. It had been, up until the time Pueblo Motorsports, Inc (the original Racer's Non-Profit management Company) was pushed out in favor of a "New, Better idea" . . PMI was putting around a Hundred Thousand Dollars a year back into the facility. And had been for almost ten years . . The manager then, who was described to City Council as literally inept, is currently managing a much larger facility in a much larger market, so I don't think it was "management" as much as it was a "Take Away" Power play by a Corporation who wanted to use the facility up and walk away with no responsibility for the damages or compensation for same. And to that end, the city could then build it's connecting 4 lane (East Joe Martinez to 24th St.), develop the areas taken up by the race tracks for commercial operations, put the money in their pockets and collect the taxes generated . . .

Again, the current City council can blame the preceeding politicians for "Wasting" a Million dollars, plow it up and develop it and not feel a dimes worth of shame or responsibility for "Wasting" that money. "Somebody" else wasted it!

Bottom line is, if there's a profit to made with the facility that the taxpayers have invested in, my bet is letting a private operator/promoter come in and make it work, and then the City Council can pat each other on the backs if it makes a profit (and the city gets a share of it) and they can blame the Leasee if it doesn't . .

Perhaps I'm being a pessimist, but we all know what happens when the Government operates anything . . There's never a profit and most likely, a big loss . . But, I suppose there could be a "First Time" . .

On the rest of the discussion? Somebody who knows about their pet non-profit needs to get in and voice their opinion(s) also . .

large
07-30-2012, 04:22 PM
On the rest of the discussion? Somebody who knows about their pet non-profit needs to get in and voice their opinion(s) also . .

No takers or discussers? I know for a fact that Mine isn't the only opinion in Pueblo . . .

Marc.N
08-01-2012, 08:55 AM
...Perhaps I'm being a pessimist, but we all know what happens when the Government operates anything . . There's never a profit and most likely, a big loss . . But, I suppose there could be a "First Time" . . . .

Brings to mind:

Power restored across India after historic failure

NEW DELHI (AP) — Factories and workshops across India were up and running again Wednesday, a day after a major system collapse led to a second day of power outages and the worst blackout in history. . .

. . .The power minister cautioned that there would be no quick solution to the power crisis, saying the government was looking at immediate and longer term measures to address power scarcity.

Part of the problem is that India relies on coal for more than half its power generation and the coal supply is controlled by a near state monopoly that is widely considered a shambles.

A recent survey showed nearly all the coal-fueled plants had less than seven days of coal stock, a critical level, and many of the country's power plants were running below capacity, according to Samiran Chakraborty, head of research at Standard Chartered, a financial services company. Government bureaucracy has made it difficult to bring more plants online. . .

large
08-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Or . . from today's Paper on the Post Office's peccadello:

The Postal Service, an independent agency of government, does not receive taxpayer money for operations but it is subject to congressional control. It estimates that it is now losing $25 million a day, which includes projected savings it had expected to be accruing by now if Congress this spring had approved its five-year profitability plan. That plan would cut Saturday delivery, reduce low-volume postal facilities and end its obligation to pay more than $5 billion each year for future retiree health payments.

it just ain't in India . .

Morning Marc, how's it going?

Marc.N
08-01-2012, 09:41 AM
It's going. Yourself?

large
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Vertical, with a pulse . . What more could an old geezer like myself ask for?

Heh, heh . . .

large
08-28-2012, 06:06 AM
OK . . Here's how Politicians think . . Apparently. Last nitght the Pueblo City Council, starting with Sandy Daff and Steve Nawrocki, brought up giving benefits to Gay Employees and their partners . .

Without rancor towards those of odd persuasion, 'spose Council is a tad confused? The City Council is scratching to come up with a balanced budget and is in the hole currently. Any fool will tell you, part of the problem (and they have discussed this at every meeting) are labor costs and the cost of benefits attached to labor . . To the extent they continue to let positions remain open in the city's labor force.

What kind of sense does it make to continue to limit the primary services of the city by cutting labor and then picking up the cost of additional benefits to a specific group for political reasons . . (Apparently) And if it isn't for Political Reasons" then it has to do with specific person(s) . . If we're to finance a lifestyle then let's be transparent about how many employees will benefit and, basically, who they are . . or, perhaps, what position they occupy in the hierarchy . . You can almost bet that it isn't a Laborer in the Streets Department that's going to get a bunch of new Insurance and Retirement benefits for he (She) and their partners . .

And then . . . (I'm sure Sandra will take issue with this) There's a discussion over raising the Pueblo City Transit Rates . . Fuel costs are requiring the Council to study (really hard) the raising of the cost of a bus ride . . . Nathaniel Evans brought a petiton signed by 738 riders who oppose the fare increase.

However . . Is it "Fair" for those people to ride for less than I pay when I pull up to the pump? Shouldn't those who don't drive feel the same pain I do when I have to pay outlandish fuel prices? Shouldn't the poor feel the same pain the "Middle Class" feel from inflation? Leroy Garcia (Professional Politician) says they shouldn't have to pay, and that Council should find the $263,000 someplace else . . I don't think Council has any "Someplace Else" . . It's going to have to come, mostly from the non-profits, if it comes from anyplace . . Especially if they decide to spend money on Benefits for the gay Employees . .

Sandra
08-28-2012, 01:16 PM
And then . . . (I'm sure Sandra will take issue with this) There's a discussion over raising the Pueblo City Transit Rates . . Fuel costs are requiring the Council to study (really hard) the raising of the cost of a bus ride . . . Nathaniel Evans brought a petiton signed by 738 riders who oppose the fare increase.

I don't really take issue with that so long as the cost isn't so drastic that it turns away riders. There's an article in today's Chieftain about the closing of a WIC office in Pueblo West - and I am not that familiar with Pueblo's transportation areas - does anyone know whether the bus also goes to Pueblo West?

And the reason why I bring that up is that I realize that the city needs money to help with costs - petrolium is way too costly right now to operate these buses without an increase of some kind - but how will low income people get around or make their appointments if the rate increase is too high? If there is any way to keep the increases reasonable, that's the way to go - but in the process, if there's no bus service to and from Pueblo West - or between Pueblo and Pueblo West, then along with that increase why not consider extending the transit area?

And if there is busing back and forth - great! Does it need improving at all?

Loren Swelk
08-28-2012, 01:38 PM
We don't want to cut this, we don't want to cut that, we are nearly 6 million in the hole.....maybe if we put our head in the sand it will all go away. Reminds me of Emperor Nero.

Sandra
08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
How would cutting transportation effect the economy? Or, how would raising the rates to the point where there are fewer riders help the local economy? The idea is to benefit financially - but there is balance there. Over do it and you'll end up deeper in debt. Underdo it and you still end up deeper in debt. lol

large
08-29-2012, 08:00 AM
And then . . Council has, it appears, about $300k that it had ratholed for Larry Autencio's Baseball Fields on the East Side to do "something" with . . Obviously, using it to assist in balancing their budget hasn't crossed their minds . . . Soooo . . .

To quote this morning's paper:
"City Council unanimously voted to give $109,000 to the Pueblo City-County Library District on Monday, providing the last piece of a financial puzzle that lets the district build a $2 million library in the vicinity of Seventh and Monument streets. The actual site hasn’t been announced because the district is still acquiring it.

Council enjoyed the moment as the audience applauded the vote. The East Side library has been on the drawing board for several years but the district put the project within reach this month when it whittled down the city’s contribution to just $109,000.

The city is getting the money from the $300,000 that council earmarked last year for planning an East Side softball complex, but that project hasn’t gone much beyond the wishing phase. The branch library, on the other hand, was something council could support and get a quick benefit for East Side residents."

And then . . . They spent the rest of it . . .
Having already raided the softball funds for the library, council also decided Monday night to use the nearly all of the remainder — $270,000 — to help complete the $6.7 million remodeling of City Hall.

Now . . Note that it says "to help complete the $6.7 million remodeling of City Hall" . . Wasn't that supposed to be $2.5 Million when the project was approved by the prior City Council and Ex-City Manager-Planner Jerry Pacheco? Do we blame inflation or stupidity?

Soooo . . Instead of being financially responsible, Council took the money and ran . . . And the taxpayers will receive fewer services that the city is mandated to provide next year, the non-profits will get less and obligations the last Council incurred will be unfunded . . Kinda like owing $500 for rent, but you only have $200. Instead of putting that on the rent, woththehell, it doesn't "Pay" the rent so we'll just spend it at the fair! . .

Oddly, if you owe the city sales taxes, they're not too picky about "how much" you have, but are willing to take anything you have, add interest and take or garnish payments until the balance is paid off . . 'Spose council ought to talk to their own tax collectors about balancing the budget?

Sandra
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
I think the national economy isn't helping our situation any...

large
08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
I think the national economy isn't helping our situation any...

Probably the whole truth . .

But, don't you think you shouldn't be the only one with that opinion? Apparenty City Council hasn't gotten that message yet!

Loren Swelk
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Soooo . . Instead of being financially responsible, Council took the money and ran . . . And the taxpayers will receive fewer services that the city is mandated to provide next year, the non-profits will get less and obligations the last Council incurred will be unfunded . . Kinda like owing $500 for rent, but you only have $200. Instead of putting that on the rent, woththehell, it doesn't "Pay" the rent so we'll just spend it at the fair! . .

Absolutely excellent analogy.

large
08-30-2012, 05:45 AM
I dunno what it is about turning into a politician that creates a need to spend money in ways that even they, as a regular civilian, would seem frivolus or stupid. You know for a fact that none of them run their personal finances in that manner or they wouldn't have been able to amass 50 cents in campaign funds, let alone pay their monthly bills.

For some odd reason, the bureaucracy operates on a use it or lose it basis. And while I tended to believe the last Council was a pretty loose spender, this one already has the old one covered. I say that based upon the fact that they took funding put aside for a project ($300,000 committed to East Side Ball Fields) which I didn't particularily agree with, spent $109,000 of it on an East Side Library (whose need is, at most, questionable, more on that later) and spent the rest on the sick Dinosaur, City Hall, a project that may never be finished and will probably cost the city a grand total of $10 mil if not more. City Council and their planners can show us a thing or two about a "Money Pit"! And they have absolutely no ideas on how to come up with more funds or what (or who) to cut.

It probably wouldn't deserve such critical comment, but just two weeks ago we were told how broke the city was and the conundrum the Council had found itself with the budget, being a little over $5 million short. The lament then was the need to cut services and not hire city employees when the old ones left and retired, which cuts services even more.

Then they told us, last week, they were considering paying benefits to those Gay Employees with partners, which, even if it was just one, is an ever expanding increase in a portion of the budget that needs to be cut. I would seriously recommend they put all their employees on "Health Access Pueblo". It costs $60 a month for the employee and $60 a month for the employer, no Deductable, $10 co-pay for primary care visits and $25 for specialists . . The only hang up is that it's only good in Pueblo County . . Their current health care plan is United and while it's offered in various plans, it's pretty expensive unless there's a really high deductable . .

And they "Spent" the $300,000 . . . on "Feel Good, look Good" stuff . . . Remembering the quote in the post above:"Council enjoyed the moment as the audience applauded the vote."

Ahh, yes, it's fun to be popular when you're spending someone else's money . . But have no idea of where the next million or two will come from . .

On that "East Side Library" . . Aren't we putting Lipstick on the pig? Books to the average East Sider are like Kryptonite . . On the East Side, books're what you hide your money in. Ain't no East Side Burglar or Home Invader gonna look in a Book! And based upon past observations, it'll just be another set of walls to spray grafitti on . . (I know this one will earn a finger shake by someone, or just the finger)

Jus' sayin' . . . . .

Gershon
08-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Large,

I'm going to shake my finger at you. When I go to the libraries, I see a lot of people at them.

You can stereotype the East side, but there is lots of stuff going on in all parts of town. Maybe we should take the libraries out of those areas.

But, I don't agree with building a library there for a different reason. The biggest is most of the money is coming from grants. Who is going to pay the salaries and other ongoing costs? Will this be another service they will need to raise taxes for next year or the year after?

As far as I know the East Side has never had a library. This is one of the older sections of town and people would go to the main library in old times. It was convenient then as the trollies ran down Erie and Hudson and passed the location of today's main library.

It's still convenient today. It's 1.3 miles from the Barkman Library on Jerry Murphy. It's a safe walk and also a safe bicycle ride. For the disabled, they are going to get in a car anyway.

For the east side of the east side, the Barkman Library will be closer than the new library.

masonranch
08-30-2012, 07:47 AM
but how will low income people get around or make their appointments if the rate increase is too high? If there is any way to keep the increases reasonable, that's the way to go - but in the process, if there's no bus service to and from Pueblo West - or between Pueblo and Pueblo West, then along with that increase why not consider extending the transit area?

And if there is busing back and forth - great! Does it need improving at all?

If government would only get out of the way the private sector would solve public transport. In Puerto Rico they have Publico taxi's, cars that go down the road and stop and pick up people until full. Of course we have laws against that. It cost a whole bunch less to operate a car than a bus and there are many more Publico's than buses, service is faster and the number just matches the need as anyone can use their personal car as a "Publico", but, of course, in Colorado the taxi lobby has gotten laws passed to outlaw "Publicos".

large
08-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Gershon . . If you look closely, you'll note that probably half of the people are there to use the public access to the Internet. Books are just icing on their cake, in a lot of cases . . Especially in the satellite libraries. However, in the main Library, there's available research books and papers that the other libraries don't normally keep on hand . . which accounts for a pretty good crowd part of the time . .

I really don't have a problem with putting books where they can be accessed and read, for either education or as a pastime. Books have been friends of mine since early childhood, as they should be to any youngster . . Problem is, are we spending a big chunk of money that we don't have on something to pacify a segment of the population that really hasn't shown much propensity to read, either for education or as a pastime . . And putting something in the area doesn't mean that it will be used fruitfully . . It just means that some people felt it would look good to have libraries scattered throughout the city. For over 100 years we got by with one, and when we built a bigger and more expensive one, we decided we needed three or four more . . Which, the Library District provided . . Including operating costs. but all that money has to come from someplace and it's just another of those drops in the bucket that continues to get larger, asking for a little more from the taxpayer's donations each year. This is the problem with supporting all these grand ideas. They all cost money, and when money gets hard to come by, (as it is now) then nobody wants to be the first guy on the chopping block . . and few (if any) politicians want to go on record as being the initiator(s) of cuts to those programs or facilities . . For some odd reason, the cuts generate negative votes far more than did the promises generate positive votes . . .

On the bus rate increases . . Unfortunately, if there's a cost increase due to Fuel and labor costs, then you either have to pay for the increases or cut service. Then you enter the "spiral of death" . . If the cost is to high, the riders won't ride, if the service isn't there, the riders won't ride. If you have a bus every 15 minutes and it's free, you'll still get just about the same number of riders you have now, divided up because of the more frequent service . . We know this because it's all been tried before . . with exactly the results outlined . .

So, what's the choice . . ?

And few people are presenting viable suggestions to any of the Council's problems . . Starting with, you guessed it, the City Council . . .

And . . In this morning's Editorial page, the paper took a whack at Pueblo Motorsports Park . . One that only the uninformed could have taken . . again, criticism without prior knowledge or ideas of how to solve the problems they perceive . . . I'll work on an answer to that one, both for this forum and a little different one for the "Letters" . .

large
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
OK . . Here's how Politicians think . . Apparently. Last night the Pueblo City Council, starting with Sandy Daff and Steve Nawrocki, brought up giving benefits to Gay Employees and their partners . .

Without rancor towards those of odd persuasion, 'spose Council is a tad confused? The City Council is scratching to come up with a balanced budget and is in the hole currently. Any fool will tell you, part of the problem (and they have discussed this at every meeting) are labor costs and the cost of benefits attached to labor . . To the extent they continue to let positions remain open in the city's labor force.

What kind of sense does it make to continue to limit the primary services of the city by cutting labor and then picking up the cost of additional benefits to a specific group for political reasons . . (Apparently) And if it isn't for Political Reasons" then it has to do with specific person(s) . . If we're to finance a lifestyle then let's be transparent about how many employees will benefit and, basically, who they are . . or, perhaps, what position they occupy in the hierarchy . . You can almost bet that it isn't a Laborer in the Streets Department that's going to get a bunch of new Insurance and Retirement benefits for he (She) and their partners . .

And then . . . (I'm sure Sandra will take issue with this) There's a discussion over raising the Pueblo City Transit Rates . . Fuel costs are requiring the Council to study (really hard) the raising of the cost of a bus ride . . . Nathaniel Evans brought a petition signed by 738 riders who oppose the fare increase.

However . . Is it "Fair" for those people to ride for less than I pay when I pull up to the pump? Shouldn't those who don't drive feel the same pain I do when I have to pay outlandish fuel prices? Shouldn't the poor feel the same pain the "Middle Class" feel from inflation? Leroy Garcia (Professional Politician) says they shouldn't have to pay, and that Council should find the $263,000 someplace else . . I don't think Council has any "Someplace Else" . . It's going to have to come, mostly from the non-profits, if it comes from anyplace . . Especially if they decide to spend money on Benefits for the gay Employees . .

See, it was right there, along with the statement:"(I'm sure Sandra will take issue with this)" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . She did . . . But apparently she didn't read "the first of the story"

Now, I'm still not informed about who (or how many) the recipient(s) are, but they sure had a "Cheering" (or was that "Jeering") section in the council chambers last night. Which seems to be about par for the course with the Gay/Lesbian crowd, who are usually the far left of the far left, and are well trained in "Shouting down", not debating . . But . . turns out, Ms. Daff was either not informed or ill-informed about the cost of health care for those who are generally very casual about swapping body fluids. And, whether by design or other business (falling into the same category) Ms. Daff's Co-Sponsor for the ordnance, Steve Nawrocki, was "Absent" . . .

And apparently the package Council was looking at, would cost the city $60,000 plus for United Healthcare's equivalent of the rest of the employees coverage . . Kinda pricey for something that's so "Optional" that most companies can't/won't extend the benefit. Of course, several of the larger cities provide it to their employees, but then it also explains why those cities are going broke . . not that Pueblo isn't . . but we ought not to speed up the process just to quieten down the Council's Chambers . . Y'think?

large
09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
On Pueblo Motorsports Park . . The old Council didn't have enough information (or Input) to make much of a decision about what to spend money on or, How . . . They coughed up $737,000 without much of a quibble, then piled some "left Over" money on top of that . . Then, apparently with little more than a "ballpark estimate" and, apparently, some bad advice from their "Advisors", they started building a Cadillac . . So far, we have the tailfins and the bumpers . .

With all due respect to all those who have worked their collective @sses off getting what was done, done, it wasn't enough . . Basically it was done just like all government work is done, "takes too long and costs too much!"

Nobody ever sat down and said; "REALLY, based upon the engineering drawings, how much is the concrete going to cost?" Or . . "How much asphalt can we afford, and where should we put it?" Or . . "When we put up these new grandstands, what kind of foundation or anchors are we going to need and how much do they cost?" Or . . "We know the old wiring for the dragstrip clocks was screwed up and static prone. How much is it going to cost to correct those problems?" And all those questions should have been asked, and had concrete numbers for answers before they tore up a single inch of what they had . . Not to mention, had some sort of absolute, "Go to hell" schedule before starting anything . .

I dearly love what they have done, so far . . but anybody with more than a BB for a brain can tell you, you went to the well, wished for a racetrack and that's what you got . . A Racetrack. Period. And if you go back to the well . . Well, it's gonna tell you, "I'm Dry, You want gingerbread, go buy it yourself!" Pretty much what they were told by Council (the Well).

And that's gonna be tough. Times aren't good for racing. Gasoline at $3.50, Diesel at $4.15, so $10 a gallon racing gas isn't the problem. It's the cost of getting the racing gas and the thing that uses it to the race track . .

And what this means is, the management and staff out there are going to have to do a lot of something they haven't been doing this last season, and that's get imaginative, creative and really businesslike. They need to present a schedule without a lot of conflicts with the other track in play. They need to provide incentive(s) to attract more out of town racers, because they need a greater car count. They need to make the race track a "Destination" on both Friday and Saturday nights . . Racing in the dead of June and July isn't going to attract even hard core fans if it's 105° in the temporary grandstands and the concessionaire argues with the customers about what he'll cook for you . .

On the other hand, I won't go out there and race the Purple Car at night because there's not enough light past the first turn to see where you are (or going) at 150 mph . . And neither will most others who have cars capable of running at least as fast . . So, that tells you, no Saturday Night Racing without more light down to about the "Kitty Litter" . . No planning in the safety department either . .

Now, I know all of this is "After the Fact", "20/20 Hindsight", etc. BUT . . There are solutions. They just require a lot of work and Imagination, as well as the balls to get up and go out and ask people for money, materials and HELP . . Then return the favors by treating them like "SPONSORS" or better, Track Royalty to be catered to . . . The track has a "VIP Lounge" . . Problem is, it's never used . . why?

No Sponsors . . ? Nope, they have some. But no one is working at getting them there and treating them good when they arrive . . Kind of a vicious circle. Hard to find 'em, apparently, harder to get 'em to come out . . ? But after talking and watching, it strikes me that the parks department is a bureaucratic operation and will continue to be, with the racetrack just another of it's operations, win, lose or draw . .

To be continued . .

large
09-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Solutions for PMP? Active search for sponsors by all who are interested in seeing the track remain in Pueblo and be successful would be a real good start . .

Plus, keeping the staff from pissing off the potential sponsors would be a good idea . . .

Some of the sponsorships can be "In Kind" . . I brought up adding lighting to the end of the track for safer racing at night, and possibly opening up Saturday nights for racing when it's hot during the days . . In as much as the City is going to convert all their street lights to LEDs in the next two years, I suggested to the management that they should latch onto as many of the better fixtures being taken down, put them on some "Extra"Standards that might be laying around and get sponsors (in Kind) to furnish the concrete, rebar and labor to put them up. Then the city would only have the responsibility of providing the wire (DBC) to connect them to the existing power supply . . I think that it would be a savings in their liability insurance and that might help pay for the wire . .

On the other hand, I dunno what they're gonna do about the new Grandstands they still have in a Box . . Back when PMP was originally built, they didn't have to comply with the Handicapped codes, but now it has to be full access and comply with code. That's an expensive proposition, as are the engineered foundations for the Grandstandss proper . . Dunno how they misseed that one . .

Apparently, the "Board of Advisors" kind of signed off once they got their road course paved and some new corners built . . because they show little interest in the rest of the facility's problems and needs . . and ****ed sure aren't out looking for sponsors as far as I can tell . . But we never hear from any of them, so we don't know for sure . .

Another thing that ought to be made public is the books . . because no one can actually suggest more (or less) until it's known which programs and events made the money and which ones need help or abandoning . . If the City Council is going to ruminate on the outcome of the racetrack, perhaps we ought to know how much it's losing and why . . .

The best way to make the facility successful is to lease or contract the operations to a professional track manager and promoter . . and let him pay the city a percentage of his profit(s) and they can work a deal on the maintenance and upkeep . .

There's several other options but I don't think Council nor the advisory board ever explored them or talked to any of the several people who would have been interested in making a proposal to the city, before they spent the Million dollars . . At least they didn't talk to any of them I know . . .

large
09-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Bottom line on the Health benefits for Gay Partners, at $1000 a month it's still going to cost the city a minimum of $12,000 a year, for each and every "Partner" covered . . whether the city pays for it or the employed "Partner" pays for it . . .

Loren Swelk
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I do believe after this feel good item is rammed through the City Council we will find out that there are more gay employees and partners than Mistress Walker has estimated, and the 58K estimated cost is a pipe dream.

large
09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Outside of "Mistress Walker", who is it that's pushing for (or gonna benefit from) this little Perc . . ? It's gotta be someone on the second (or third) floor of City Hall . .

Again, it d@mned sure isn't a laborer in the Streets dept.

And you're 100% right, it's going to be a much larger Chunk o' Change than estimated . .

It always is . . .

large
09-24-2012, 08:04 AM
On Sandra's thread, she posted:
"I was told by Councilwoman Sandy Daff that this is to make up for the portion of the law that disallows gays to marry. She explained it in such a way that it made sense"

And then I replied:
"Bullsh*t! You're (or Sandy Daff, actually) speaking of "REPARATIONS" . . Or . . Gee, those old conservative people were mean to you oddballs so we, the Pueblo City Council, are going to make it up to you in our own little way. At the expense of the taxpayer . . of course . .

Again, I don't care what you do in the privacy of your house, just don't ask me to subsidise it . .

And if the gays can be subsidized for having partners then of course, so should all other unmarried couples. That's just plain common sense . .

And yes, it will bring lawsuits. Probably more than this Council ever dreamed of . ."

Which brings us back to . . You guessed it, SPENDING!

I believe that the City of Pueblo is still "Self Insured' . . So, is the City Council playing fast and loose with the funds of the public? First they're going to insure the un-insurable (so to speak) and then risk suits from all of the other employees who have hetrosexual partners (and children) and also would like to have them insured but haven't because they weren't "Married" or joined legally by the state . .

As I said;"And yes, it will bring lawsuits. Probably more than this Council ever dreamed of . .

And it will cost lots o' money, "Probably more than this Council ever dreamed of" . .

Sandra
09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Again, I don't care what you do in the privacy of your house, just don't ask me to subsidise it . .

Large, we're talking about MEDICAL benefits, not sexual ones.

So does your "just don't ask me to subsidise it" remark apply to what everyone does in the privacy of their home, or just gays? Given the logic of your remark, we shouldn't be subsidising anyone's health care.

large
09-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Large, we're talking about MEDICAL benefits, not sexual ones.

So does your "just don't ask me to subsidise it" remark apply to what everyone does in the privacy of their home, or just gays? Given the logic of your remark, we shouldn't be subsidising anyone's health care.

Awferchrissake! Go to a health insurer, get a quote from him, and then tell him you're "Gay' . . watch that figure change in a heartbeat . . ! While the gay Community see's AIDS and it's related diseases as just another "STD", the health care providers look at them as "Terminal Diseases that cost thousands to administer health care to annually" Which, does what? Increases either the cost of health care premiums or get a flat denial . .

Sandra, Wake the F--- up! It isn't the "SEX" that is the problem, it's the "Gift that keeps on Giving" that comes from the Sex that is the concern . . I was told by a Gay Associate that his partner was spending $1600 a month on the drug(s) cocktail he had to take three times a day to keep his Anti-Immune diseases in "Remission" and even with those drugs, eventually, the disease will prevail . . Y'wanta pay the premiums for something like that?

You can betcherButt that the health insurance on a middleaged couple (married or living together) is not going to cost anywhere near what Gay Partners would pay, married, Civilly Unioned or whatever . . It's a "Risk Exposure" thing . .

Remember, I don't believe you can find where Anyone ever got the clap off a toilet seat . . nope, it required the swapping of body fluids . . and you're a big girl, you know how that happens . . Even "Pregnancy" is considered a "Disease" . . It's the results of sex were're insuring, not the act itself . .

large
09-25-2012, 06:14 PM
OKay, last night's meeting produced a figure, $58,000 for the first year of insurance for "Gay" partners . . Now, next Monday they're going to "Vote on it" after a comment session. Now, do you (any of you) have a clue what that means? It means they've made their minds up, and unless several or them are hung from the chandelier, it'll be "First Motion Law" by 10 o'clock . .

So much for the city being "Broke" . . . Listening to the wailing of the non-profits will take a lot more fortitude and brass by the Council after this wunnerful little gift . . .

Loren Swelk
09-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Listening to the wailing of the non-profits will take a lot more fortitude and brass by the Council after this wunnerful little gift . . .

You will know the city is truly broke when they say no to the zoo, the Chamber of Commerce and PEDCO.

large
09-26-2012, 06:44 AM
From the other City Council Thread . .

Let's see...the city is without a City Manager, they are paying an AWOL planner/ex-planning director/ex city manager(with a limited amount of working time[100 days per yr]) they refuse to talk about and the city attorney has resigned. Cue up the theme song from Titanic.

This has proven to be a very undecisive bunch . . They're starting to make the last Council look like "Supermen" . . .

But one might expect that, since you have a nearly all Democrat group, mostly potential "Spendaholics", with no money . .

You will know the city is truly broke when they say no to the zoo, the Chamber of Commerce and PEDCO.

Heh, heh . . The Zoo is kinda sacred, 'cause, if you don't feed the critters, you go to jail.

And both CofC and PEDCO would cut a lot of Bar and Restaurant time out of the Council's social lives . .

After all, being lobbied is part of the fun of being an important Councilperson, isn't it. And there's no more fun lobbyist than Rod Slyhoff . . That picks up the check anyway . .

large
09-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Brought over from the "other" City Council thread, because it's all about Money and "spending" . .

Loren, the City Attorney was woo'd by Colorado Springs. He's now their assistant city attorney - they offered him $20,000 a year more than their last one got - which is a lot more than he was getting here to begin with - so he followed the money.

Doesn't matter why he went, it's only the fact that he's gone . .

Which brings up the question, are they going to hire another attorney or are they going to do as they've done in the rest of the City's departments, and not hire a replacement?

We're short of Cops, and Firemen, according to both Chiefs, and Chief Velez is shuffling people, and refusing to answer certain kinds of calls, and it would seem, based upon the city charter, that Police and Fire protection are two of the three main reasons we have a city government. The City attorney's job is to cover the City Council's @ss, and would seem to me, to be an ancillary position . .

So, do they hire another? Or just do as they'd do with other "necessary" (but we can do without him for now) employees and save the money . . ?

butwotthehelldoIknow?

Sandra
09-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Doesn't matter why he went, it's only the fact that he's gone . .

As if anyone noticed? lmao! Last I knew there were some frustrations there anyway so maybe this works out for the better. I wonder if Elliot Fladen is looking for a job. I should put a bug in his ear and see what he says. He'll probably laugh at me. lol

On a serious note - I'm sorry - I don't want to say anything against our police chief - but - would Billings have ever done such a thing??

large
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
On a serious note - I'm sorry - I don't want to say anything against our police chief - but - would Billings have ever done such a thing??

But, this is a serious issue . .

First of all, Police response to emergency calls has gone from 3.5 minutes in 1975 to 11 minutes today. (averaged)

That's a problem. One of the reasons is common sense. Not enough policemen, spread too thin. The base solution to that would be obvious to even the mentally handicapped. Shuffling people and shifts, unless you're "Magic" won't solve the response problem either . .

As I don't have a lot of buddies on the PD anymore, I don't get to hear the complaints that they have . . . or the problems.

But one thing's for sure, the budget cutting on the Charter Services to provide little or no cuts to the non profits is kind of a spineless decision . . It's a failure of the politicians (City Council) to stand up and say, "we don't have the money this year so everybody gets cut . . Equally" . . Spread it out so that everybody feels the pain equally . .

Kinda like the Public Transportation's predicament on Bus price increases . . The formula requires raising "Everybody's" price, not just one particular group . . And That's "Fair", based upon the Left's definition of "Fair" . . .

Times are hard, and it's just as hard for us who have jobs and incomes as it is for those who don't . . We all have to "ADJUST" . . .

large
10-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Well the City Council and their clamor over the budget is beginning . . And the non-profits are lining up . . It seems that the city is facing something like a $5.5 million dollar shortfall this year . .

And, while I'm guessing here, we'll get to see just how much backbone seven jellyfish have . .

After all, if they caved to 8 gay city employees, what're they gonna do with a crowd waving pitchforks and torches?

According to today's Chieftain, the Police want two substations funded and of course there's a big article about "Packrat Park" and how it was funded by donations from the Denver Broncos (Conditional grant) Black Hills Energy (Sales Tax Rebate) and the Urban Renewal Authority (No idea of their monetary contribution, but I'm betting it wasn't much) which, according to this article, added up to $1.1 million. That wasn't the figure the last City Council put out there when they were spending that Black Hills Money. If I remember correctly, it was closer to $2.3 million. But then, maybe they didn't spend it all there in one night . . Maybe it went someplace else . . Money in the city coffers tends to have that happen frequently.

Let's take the example of the $500k that was set aside for Larry Autencio's East Side Softball Fields. Well, it wasn't enough to fund that, so, after the law (or ordnance) was passed, they spent it on something else, "Because it wasn't enough to fund what it was originally intended for" . . How about the Ordnance? Do we just pass a law by vote and then nullify it by consensus?

Here's another . . Part of the original SDS agreement was that $198,000 was to be given to the Honor Farm Enterprise. (Pueblo Motorsports Park)

In a Budget hearing, Then City Attorney Tom Florczak proposed that, due to "budget shortfalls in the 2012 fiscal year" that the amount be reduced to PMP by $98,000. Now according to the books, no one can show where the $100,000 went or if it was ever given to PMP. (or the "Honor Farm") But, in the fiscal "Snapshot" I have seen, there's a "Miscellaneous revenue of $98,000", which, according to sources, was what the Council finally approved to be transferred to PMP.

Somehow we went from $198K by law, that was to be given to us as revenue, but by the end of the agreement and when the check was written… it was apparently $98K.

Just a note on PMP. They made money in 2012, in spite of miscellaneous startup costs, a short season and a curtailed budget. So, for all those who believe that PMP is a rathole to throw money down, It's apparently the only truly successful enterprise the City is involved with . . Better keep it and fund it . .

Question here, is, how is it that Council can pass a law (or Ordnance) designating a use for money out of the city's budget, and then either "Skirt" the law or just plain ignore it?

And how is it that Council can continue to pour money into the City Hall remodel when they're 300%+ over budget and apparently cannot yet see the end of the project?

Then tell the rest of the city departments and enterprises that they must do without key employees and shorter budgets to do the things the City Charter states must be done . .

large
10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm. E-mailed the above off to My City Council Person (Sandy Daff) last night and didn't even receive the courtesy of a receipt or a reply.

Add to that, the Council and the Interim City manager, fired the PMP Track Manager Monday night after the Council Meeting and "Re-Appointed" Brad Bixler, who was the first Manager when the City assumed Operation of the facility three years ago . .

And the first thing He (apparently) has done is cease communications with two groups who have rented the track on the 26th and 27th of this month . . apparently, either wishing to cancel or to re-negotiate.

Also, at the beginning of today's workday, the City started calling people who have been associated with the track in the past, asking them for either a RFI or RFP. so we have to assume, the only thing the city's ever made a dime at, is being abandoned because they're to dumb to operate it . .

I believe I predicted that three years ago . . .

large
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Hmmm, further scrutiny, found in the City Council's Budget, ( ‎www.pueblo.us/archives/38/2013ProposedBudget.pdf ) shows us why the City decided to cut the budget at PMP . .

The people drawing up the budget and setting charges shows over $813,000 in "Improvements" as a one time charge, instead of amortizing it over a period of time. Doing this, of course, will guarantee a loss for the year, and a pretty big one . .

Causing those who aren't either informed or with an opposing agenda to show PMP as a "Money Pit", not worth continuing as an "Enterprise". Had they divided the $813,000 into three equal payments spread over three years of operation, the facility would have shown a profit notwithstanding the shortened season and shaky schedule . .

However, they should be able to operate and make a profit in 2013 in spite of a $100k budget cut if they'll use a little imagination, get some sponsorship help from local business and make the place a summertime destination.

It's either that or Privatize . . .

large
10-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, the City Council's gonna go back to "Work" on the budget. And I'm betting that tonight, those who aren't there to fight Tooth and Nail for their share are gonna find a buncha money missing from their next year's funds . .

There's something here that most people don't seem to understand, and is missed when Talking/Complaining about Budgets, borrowed money and entitlements, and that is "Revenue" and how the Government entity get's or gains it . . .

Those who serve on City Councils, County Commissions, State and Federal Legislative bodies are totally remiss on the "Revenue" situation. Most of our Legislative bodies (Local and State) have "Balanced Budget" provisions or laws within their amendments or charters . . and yet, the people who serve on them allocate, give away, or grant sums of money to non profits and other enterprises without ever considering how that money is going to be attained or who is going to have to pay for what they give away. Few, if any, contemporary politicians have stepped up and told the public what they will have to pay for the decisions they make in "Budget hearings" and settings. No one in the spotlight will make the statement that somewhere, someplace, sometime, for every dollar they spend, they have to collect a dollar. Nobody wants to tell you that!

And they should, because it will come home to roost . . . In the case of the City of Pueblo, they're about $5.7 Million short, so someone (or a lot of someones, actually) are going to have to tighten their belts and do without or they (the City Council, City Manager and Finance Manager) are going to have to increase taxes someplace to cover the deficit.

But we are already hearing from some agencies and enterprises that they cannot live with the 10% cuts levied upon them by the currently published 2013 budget, and intense whining, lobbying and finger pointing is just beginning . . And as TABOR still exists, Council cannot just arbitrarily raise taxes to cover the deficit. So they'll have to either use a lot of imagination and double talk or grow some backbone . .

large
10-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Lessee, it costs $1 million dollars a year to keep a fire station at the Airport. Up until the Air Force and DoD decided to cancel their $554,000 subsidy (or payment) to Pueblo, everything was fine. So now, they're talking about "Closing" that Fire Station. Which brings forth the question, "Is It Needed, and if it is, what Non Profit (or "Entitlement") will live instead, and is that "Non-Profit needed as badly?"

I realize that there's a lot of good programs that are supported by City Grants and subsidies, but again, there's Police, Fire and Infrastructure. That's what the Government is basically designed to provide. And, if you notice, we're short on the Police and the Infrastructure, I dunno about the Fire, but I'd bet we've got holes in that department also. But, if you've noticed, the upper management people all got good raises this year . . Even though "We don't have any money!"

Is this another one of those "We don't have enough money to pay the rent, so we'll go to Cripple Creek instead"?

Perhaps I'm being hypercritical here, but when you see and hear things like this and statements like that of Sandy Daff, who said that giving Gay Partners health insurance "Kind of made up for the state not recognizing Gay Marriage or Civil Unions"

Huh?

large
11-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for" . . . .

Yesterday's Paper told us why the Air Force and DoD cut the $554,000 payment(s) to the Pueblo Municipal Airport (Susie's Headlines from Yesterday) . . PEDCO went out and found DOSS who is in the business of evaluating and teaching potential Air Force Pilots basic flight training. Part of that, of course, is the fleet of single engine "Bug Smashers' that flies out of the Pueblo Airport and does "Touch n' Go's" at both Pueblo and the AFA airfield.

But apparently, the Air Force saw some sort of conflict between the 302nd's Herky birds and those little Bug Smashers with Noobies in 'em . . Safety, maybe, or Politics perhaps, but it really doesn't make a lotta sense, because in all my years of observing, I've never seen much conflict of air traffic at the Airport. At least comparable to most other Airports with the same amount of runway and apron space . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

large
11-08-2012, 05:34 PM
The wisdom of the new liberal City Council is starting to look pretty shaky . . . Under the heading of "Wotthehellweretheythinking?" they voted to give (8 theoretical) gay employees health insurance for their "Partners" . . And now . . it just ain't $60k anymore. This afternoon enough names on petitions were filed to force either nullification of the ordnance or a citywide election to ask voters if they think it's a good idea . . at an additional unknown but big expense . .

Add to that, no city employee has asked (yet) to enroll his/her partner in the program . . so what was the agenda(s) of the councilpersons who dreamed this one up . . ?

Another thing no one seems to have asked (or figured out) and that pertains to my last post . . . How come the Guv'mint (read "U.S.Air Force) REALLY cancelled that $554,000+ annual subsidy to the airport?

Reason I ask, is simple . . While they blamed it on the congestion caused by the Doss Flight School, Doss only flies 7 to 4 for the most part and about half the touch n' go's are done out of the AFA'S Falcon Field in the Springs.

And, the 302nd Flies, most of the time, at night and on weekends . .

So, it it the first steps of Obama's "Sequestration"?

Or, is it the backlash from the "Anti-Air Force" position by the front range community when the Air Force wanted to use some of the fair state for training flights of C-130J's and VC-22's?

Who did the city aggravate on this one?

large
11-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, the post above is literally a "Moot point" . . According to the KOAATV News tonight, the petitions were 17 signatures short, mostly because two or three groups didn't have the correct Notorization on them . .

You'd think that people could get their ducks inna row on things like that . .

Sooo, the city gets to "Waste" about $60 grand on people who haven't shown up yet . . and prove that they're truly "Community organizers" of the ilk of their Messiah . .

Loren Swelk
11-17-2012, 11:31 AM
The paper said today that over 160 signatures were not even counted because of a problem with a date discrepancy on the notary stamp on the form. Um, Ms. Dutcher, whose side are you on on this one? I smell lawsuit.

large
11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Here's the Technicality . . The presenter of the particular Petition(s) had signed it (them) on one day and the Notary had notarized it the next. This sets up a possibility that the presenter wasn't seen signing the forms by the notary and may not have been the actual signer . . That's why we have Notarys . . They are licensed "Witnesses" so to speak.

However, Ms. Esgar need not get to overjoyed about all this because, I'm betting, if there's inequalities, where the gays are eligible for benefits that hetrosexuals aren't, there'll be lawsuits and the city cannot afford that.

Hell, according to Council, they can't afford a Bus ticket . . . So it dazzles me that they'd go looking to spend the initial $58,000, let alone either settlements from suits or a special election.

And now they're looking to raid the voter approved and earmarked PEDCO piggy bank that the half cent sales tax creates. Typical Democrats. They cannot understand the idea that the trick to "Balancing the Budget" is to quit giving other people's money away!

They bailed on PMP, and I'm betting they gobbled up the $304k they had budgeted for 2013. And they're looking for some sugar daddy to come and give them $50 to $75k per year to take it over and make it profitable . .

Stupidly, all they really needed to do was cut some of the staff (they had 20 employees out there last year) and schedule with, rather than against, the closest competing tracks . . Friday Nights do pretty well and they'd do better to have their June, July and August Saturday events in the afternoon and evening when it's a little cooler. They'd get more spectators. The track would have shown a profit had it not written off the whole $815k in one lump sum last year. ButwotthehelldoIknow about how Sam Azad keeps his books . .

large
11-26-2012, 11:46 AM
OK, here's how (appareently) the city's health benefit works . . .

A "Line Employee" (someone other than supervisory or managerial) get's 78% of their total health premium (United Health Care) paid by the city, doesn't matter whether you have just the primary employee or an employee and his/her family. The "Non-Line" Employee gets 75% paid for by the city, same co-insured program . .

What they won't (or don't) tell us is whether they'll do the same for a couple cohabitating Hetrosexually as they are wont to do for the preverts . . .

large
12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Here ya go . . The City is touting their "Code Enforcement" . . (from Susie: City touts code enforcement record)

Sometime back, three mattresses, the Basket part of a Safeway Buggy, and a tire appeared in the alley one morning. Now, if you know anything about the "Trash hauling Business", you know that your Trash guy is going to charge you from $25 to $50 per mattress to haul them away. A tire is someplace between $1 and $10 depending upon your service. Soooo, even if you have a trash guy coming by once a week, economics would tell those who would game the system that somebody else ought to pay for your trash . . So you'd dump it where it would be an inconvenience to someone else . . And there are people who do that everyday in Pueblo . . .

So, I called Code Enforcement . . Line was busy (for over three hours). So then, I called "Public Works", and the nice lady there gave me the personal cell phone number of the Code Enforcement Director, Karen Wilson. I left a message, and she called me back in a very timely manner. She was very nice about the complaint, but explained that although the city did have an ordnance against dumping on public property, she had little money to enforce the code violations and no money to send anyone out to pick that trash up.

While I harbor no Ill Will against Ms Wilson, I certainly hope the City isn't paying an employee $50k a year to answer a telephone and tell us that there's nothing she can do about the problem . .

Was this little Press Release one of those "Warm and touchy" moments the City Council and Bureaucracy visits upon us to help us sleep well at night?

It's gotta be because they don't have money to enforce anything that won't bring in a $100 plus fine from somebody . . Generally the poor bastard whose property the trash was dumped on . .