PDA

View Full Version : Chieftain's website down?

Loren Swelk
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Has the Chieftain's website been down for the last 24 hours, or is it just my problem?

west4567
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Has the Chieftain's website been down for the last 24 hours, or is it just my problem?

For me, it was down from yesterday afternoon until about 12:30 a.m. this morn Colorado time, at which time it came up with a new look-and-feel to the site.

So for me, it's been working fine for almost 12 hours.

Loren Swelk
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
For me, it was down from yesterday afternoon until about 12:30 a.m. this morn Colorado time, at which time it came up with a new look-and-feel to the site.

So for me, it's been working fine for almost 12 hours.

Is the link the same as the old website? I have tried every back door I can think of and I still get the error 403, Access Forbidden.

CountryFlowers
03-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Apparently it was being worked on and has a nice new look now.

spectre013
03-21-2010, 06:24 AM
New yes, but would hardly call it nice.

Loren Swelk
03-21-2010, 07:03 AM
If this site is fully developed then it is a disappointment. The old site was certainly more user friendly. If the new site is still being tweaked, then I will withhold judgment.

CountryFlowers
03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I was trying to be positive with my last remark.

I like the look, but I do agree with you that it's not as user friendly for visitors as the previous template.

spectre013
03-29-2010, 06:52 AM
The issues I have with it is that there is sooo much white(blank) space on the site. I just looks bad where there is more empty space on the site as there is content.

Also with the flash ads they obscure the navigation. This is one of the reasons why we did the navigation we did in the last design.

Comments are way to moderated. At this point take them off the site, as it makes it look like your users don't interact with your site.

I use my RSS reader a lot and like to get content that way. RSS Feeds don't work with the new site.

The final point. LOCAL CONTENT!!!

I have read about 95% of the AP content on the site before it comes out in the paper. I want to read local content about local people and places.

just my .02 cents.

CountryFlowers
03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Good points, esp about the local content.

I don't visit it as much as I did with the other format, I like the banner and the color scheme, but I do agree it's not as user friendly as it was. As for the comments, it seems to me that there are more comments being posted than before - but I won't speak for the moderation of them other than to assure you that I'm not the moderator of those. :-)

Loren Swelk
03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
All of the points mades by Spectre013 are valid and I would like to add that there are still items appearing on the front page from March 16th nearly 2 weeks ago. The white space is annoying as are the ads that cover everything, but at least the grinning face of the mortgage guy is gone for awhile. I would bet if you lined up potential web advertisers and showed them both webs, new and old, and asked them which they would rather spend their ad dollars on the overwhelming response would be old. I have taken to getting my breaking news from rss feeds from the 3 TV stations. If the design and operation of the website is complete, it is a giant step backwards.

Loren Swelk
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
It is sad that the identity of the skull is in the Greeley Tribune online edition and as of yet nothing in the Chieftain, and it is a Pueblo resident.