PDA

View Full Version : Cordova-- Its not my fault, again, again

loose cannon
04-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Commissioner admits mistake during election
Story By: David Ortiviz
Source: KOAA

Published Mon Apr 06, 2009, 06:11 PM MDT

A judge has fined a Pueblo County Commissioner for allegedly accepting illegal campaign contributions during the 2008 election.---

"As soon as we learned about it we took the necessary steps to remedy it. So you know it was just a mistake that volunteers will do," said John Cordova.

So it is all the volunteers fault.
But the testimony at the Secretary of State's hearing was that Cordova personally solicited nearly all of the Corporate funds from companies who are doing business with Pueblo County.
Moreover, the fines were for not promptly returning the Corporate money on the candidate committee side or the excessive Corporate money on the political committee side. Cordova did not return the money until the General Election was nearly over. He essentially used the illegal money to overwhelm Dorothy Butcher in the Primary spending and to fund his campaign until the Union money came in for the General.
Cordova also received a large in kind donation from a corporation in the primary which has never been disclosed by Cordova or the corporation which is required to disclose under the Fair Campaign Practices Act- electioneering provisions.

Sandra
04-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Cordova is definitely not showing good leadership skills.

large
04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Two things . .

Let's see if all those volunteers (and those who might have considered being one in the future) remember this and refuse to help the thankless clod next election. (probably not)

Regarding his "leadership skills" . . he never had any, He's just a political hack . . .

opa
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
DEBBIE ROSE CHAMPIONS HONEST GOVERNMENT
Debbie Rose, Proprietor of The Beulah General Store, and last year's candidate for County Commissioner can add a new title to her name.
Crusader for Honest Campaigning.
County Commissioner John Cordova, on the other hand, can add a less prestigious title to his name.
Campaign Finance Cheat.
In a decision, handed down on the 31st of March, Administrative Law Judge Robert Spencer assessed Cordova's campaign a whopping $6375.00 fine for breaking Colorado's campaign finance laws.
He found that his campaign committee had taken donations from Corporations in the amount of $1275. A candidate is prohibited by law from accepting corporate contributions. And he found that the golf tournament that was organized to solicit contributions took excessive amounts from corporations.
Cordova and the committees that he organized to raise money for him, and conduct his campaign had their hand in the wrong cookie jar and took more than they should have. And they knew it. They did not return the money until Debbie Rose filed a complaint with the Secretary of State.
John Cordova should apologize for the smears he directed at Debbie, and he should apologize to the people of Pueblo County for running a crooked campaign.
Debbie made the complaint to the Secretary of State, she took it to court, she hired her own lawyer to press the case, and she paid for it with her own money. Her courageous actions were vindicated by the judge's decision.
The people of Pueblo County owe Debbie Rose a vote of thanks for her tireless efforts on behalf of honesty in government.

Loren Swelk
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Cordova will never apologize, he still is denying any wrong doing. He only returned the money when he was caught. As far as his job as a County Commisioner, he couldn't reach back and find his a$$ with both hands, let alone deal with public office. Let's face it, he rode the union and Hispanic vote into office and the nearly $100,000 yearly it represents. Who knows if the "Cordova Memorial Parking Lot" will ever be built, for now it is just the "Cordova Crater". Debby Rose may have done the residents of Pueblo County a favor, but it didn't affect the one person it should have.

large
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Probably the most pathetic part of this is; Cordova will run again, and be elected again, by the same racist people who vote for a name (or a party as case may be) and not a man who neither represents them or anyone else in Pueblo County, other than the party that enables him . .

opa
04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
If any of you in this thread have legitimate things about John Cordova (This incident is one, and the news media has given him a pass on it.) good or bad let me know. opaswearingen@hotmail.com. He needs a burr under his saddle, and we should be it.
Also, the Pueblo County Republican Party Newsletter will be returning to active duty soon, and we hope to reach everyone in the county, not just Republicans. All of you who would like to receive it let me know via my email, and your email address will be put on our list. We will not send it out randomly.
Cheers. Opa.

opa
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Cordova will never apologize, he still is denying any wrong doing. He only returned the money when he was caught. As far as his job as a County Commisioner, he couldn't reach back and find his a$$ with both hands, let alone deal with public office. Let's face it, he rode the union and Hispanic vote into office and the nearly $100,000 yearly it represents. Who knows if the "Cordova Memorial Parking Lot" will ever be built, for now it is just the "Cordova Crater". Debby Rose may have done the residents of Pueblo County a favor, but it didn't affect the one person it should have.

No, it didn't because the law has not teeth. By rights, he should have had to submit at least to another election, if not removed from office. But all the judge could to was fine him.
Loren if you know the details of the "Parking lot," I love to hear them. My email is opaswearingen@hotmail.com. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, please just give me links. I'll follow them up myself.
I'm planning on being the County Commissioner's burr under their saddle.
Regards. Opa.

opa
04-17-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm probably not supposed to do this, but my kids will go my bail.
Debbie Rose pushed this on her own and at her own expense. Now there is a way to help her defray her costs.
Send a check to: Office of John Zakhem, 700 17th Street, Suite 2000, Denver, CO 80202. Make the check out to John Zakhem, and put a note with it, saying that it's to help Debbie Rose's lawyer fees. $5 - on up. Please help. Opa.

Loren Swelk
06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Commissioners getting $87,000 a year for part time hours? A News First Undercover Investigation

Story By: James Jarman
Published Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
Updated Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
Short work days, long lunches and personal business in public cars. A few current and former Pueblo County employees claim that's a typical day for 2 of the commissioners.
They each get $87,000 a year and a car paid for by the taxpayers, but our sources claim the commissioners are getting full time pay for part time work.
In an undercover investigation, we followed up on those complaints by following the commissioners.
During the 10 weekdays we picked at random, we followed Commissioner John Cordova and Commissioner Anthony Nunez for 5 days each, 10 hours a day.
We videotaped them using the taxpayer's car to go golfing, driving it to do work for a private business and even taking it on vacation with a friend. Those are just a few of the things we saw them do.
We followed them for 100 hours, 50 hours each. By our calculations, during that time Cordova spent 10 hours on county-related work. Nunez was closer to 17 hours. Both say we followed them on days when they had a lot of lag time. "Unfortunately it wasn't when we're really quite busy," Cordova said.
Both told us, legally, they only have to show up for 2 meetings a week. "We are required to hold 2 meetings a week and we do," said Nunez, "that's all that's required of the job." Both also say they put in many more hours, including weekends. Weekly, Nunez estimates he works 38 hours a week and sometimes more. Cordova puts his workload at 50 hours a week.
Their work calendars have many listings for the month of May and do show a few banquets and luncheons on weekends and at night. In a couple of cases, the calendars list events on the days we followed them, but the commissioners instead were doing private work. For Cordova it was spraying weeds and picking up trash at 2 rental properties he owns. Nunez was at The Favorite Tavern, which he co-owns, for the weekly beer delivery.
On another day, Cordova spent the morning playing a round of golf at a city owned golf course. At 11:40 am he capped it off with a couple of beers at the clubhouse.
Then at 12:45 pm he left in the county car and went to the private Eagle's Lodge. Cordova says he doesn't think he drank any alcohol at the lodge and also says "I don't think 1 or 2 beers has ever affected me."
At 1:34 pm he went home, where he stayed the rest of the workday.
After spending 2.5 hours in a commission work session on another day he went home.
Then at 11:28 am, a friend drove to his house and they took the taxpayers' car to the Colorado Springs airport. It was the start of their weekend vegas vacation.
Cordova says they took the county car because his "needs maintenance." He did not explain why they didn't use his friends, but did say "We'll use hers next week when we go to Monument." He also says he'll pay the County back for the personal use of the car.

On the days we followed Commissioner Nunez, even though the bar he co-owns is only open twice a week, he was there everyday.
He made sure the doors were open for the beer deliveries, we watched that happen 3 times.
He said his co-owner couldn't do it, because the co-owner has to run the liquor store they both own.
He also went to the gym a couple times, and was usually home or at the bar by 2:00 pm and remained there during the time we monitored him.
We wanted to see some accounting for the personal use of the taxpayer's car, like when he uses it for his private business.
Even though the IRS requires it, he says there isn't any documentation, other than what the finance department calculated as the mileage between his home and the county building.
"There isn't, I don't have any accounting on it," Nunez said of the personal use beyond the trips from home to work.
He also said he could understand the criticism if the county was in bad financial shape, "but it isn't."
"When you look at the bottom line, as a business person, we are doing very good as commissioners here," he said.

We're still waiting for documentation showing any amount the commissioners have paid to the county for the personal use of the cars.
We're also waiting to view any and all charges made on the commissioners' county credit cards, that includes the third commissioner, Jeff Chostner.
You should know, we didn't receive information about Chostner not working full time, or using his county vehicle for personal business.
The times we were at the county building, Chostner was the first one at the office and almost always still there when the other two left.

Pueblo County's a member of the group Colorado Counties Inc., an association representing county commissioners around the state.
It's handbook states "Elected officials and public employees alike understand they are subject to significant public scrutiny, whatever their activities may involve." Short work days, long lunches and personal business in public cars. A few current and former Pueblo County employees claim that's a typical day for 2 of the commissioners.

Colleen
06-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Commissioners getting $87,000 a year for part time hours? A News First Undercover Investigation

Published Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
Updated Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
Short work days, long lunches and personal business in public cars. A few current and former Pueblo County employees claim that's a typical day for 2 of the commissioners.
They each get $87,000 a year and a car paid for by the taxpayers, but our sources claim the commissioners are getting full time pay for part time work.
In an undercover investigation, we followed up on those complaints by following the commissioners.
During the 10 weekdays we picked at random, we followed Commissioner John Cordova and Commissioner Anthony Nunez for 5 days each, 10 hours a day.
We videotaped them using the taxpayer's car to go golfing, driving it to do work for a private business and even taking it on vacation with a friend. Those are just a few of the things we saw them do.

Nope, I didn't miss it.

For what each one is making per year, we could have in place 2 more commissioner's since the median income for Pueblo (county) is roughly $39,000 annually. ...That otta 'buy' us some good folks who will WORK. Any takers??

loose cannon
06-08-2009, 08:17 AM
"On another day, Cordova spent the morning playing a round of golf at a city owned golf course. At 11:40 am he capped it off with a couple of beers at the clubhouse.
Then at 12:45 pm he left in the county car and went to the private Eagle's Lodge. Cordova says he doesn't think he drank any alcohol at the lodge and also says "I don't think 1 or 2 beers has ever affected me.""

Well our much beloved Commissioner John B Cordova made headlines again. The written version is amazing but if you watch the video I have never seen anyone so obviously lying caught on tape before. Body language (head nodding when mouth was moving the other direction), flushed and inarticulate responses, shifty eyes- the whole thing is amazing.
OK so how many drinks do you suppose- Tombstone Cordova had before he slid behind the wheels paid for by you & I. Tombstone got his name not from being cold stone sober but from his prowess in digging up voters better than Mayor Daley.

Colleen
06-09-2009, 05:36 AM
lol @ digging up better than Mayor Daley. :D

Loren Swelk
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Watching the video on the KOAA website and seeing the on camera response by Cordova and Nunez tells me two two things, (1) They truly believe they are above reproach and are devoting 110% to serving the public, and (2) they both are as stupid as a load of bricks. Embarassing.

large
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I've already made the assumption (posted several times on this and other forums) that they fall under #2 . . and although the video wasn't necessarily the clincher, it's getting closer . . . . .

loose cannon
06-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Both Cordova and Nunez terms are up Jan 2013. The recourse for what has become an untenable situation is 1) they resign - not likely- Ray Aguilera is quoted as they are untouchable - so if they believe that why should they-- you can not embarrass these guys 2) recall - not likely- recall requires signatures of 25% of the votes for that office in last election -- the vote was swelled by the Obama factor and the Roselawn Cemetery vote-- so it is a very big number -- Debbie Rose in losing got more votes than Kirk Taylor who won the Sheriff's office 2 years ago and Debbie ran 10,000 votes ahead of McCain or 3) reform county government-- possible-- a home rule petition will take 5% of voters to initiate- Democrats as well as Republicans may sign on to this - since it takes some of the personality factors out of it. Dorothy Butcher has written a letter to the Chieftain Editor calling for salary limitations on Commissioners and changing their status to what they really are part time political hacks and put in play a full time professional County Manager. Debbie Rose is in favor of reform as well -

loose cannon
06-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Dorothy Butcher
101 Encino Drive
Pueblo, Co. 81005

Letter to the Editor
It was a disappointment to view and read the James Jarmon report by Channel 5/30 on the performance of the county commissioners for 10 weekdays picked at random, 5 days each, 10 hours a day. It appears that the commissioners are exhausting themselves by hanging out in the taverns, playing golf and drinking beer, cutting weeds, going to the gym and driving the county car to the airport to go to Las Vegas with a friend passenger. It must be tough to do all of that on a $100,000.00 a year job which includes the cost of their pension and health care benefits plus a county credit card and new vehicle. . Both told Jarmon, legally, they only have to show up for 2 meetings a week.
What emerges in my mind as a question is this behavior a violation of the public trust and what level of ethics and integrity do we as Puebloans and taxpayer citizens expect from our elected public officials? Are we wiling to just hand over the money and the reins without accountability to elected officials?
The competency, fidelity, skills, trust and ethics of our public officials is not a choice but an urgent priority in this economic environment. Our ability to compete with other communities’ depends on the solidity of our elected officials. They should make a strong contribution to the well being of the community as a whole and recognize that their reputation becomes the face of this community. Public officials have a responsibility to faithfully and honestly discharge their duties without misappropriating funds or government property.
I question whether or not we need to add to the county policy that drinking during working hours or while operating a county vehicle is prohibited for all employees, including directors, managers, department heads and elected officials. Perhaps there is not an awareness that it is inappropriate to drink and drive a county vehicle. The taxpayers are paying for new vehicles for each elected commissioner and many of their directors. As taxpayers we pay the insurance, buy the gas, tires, batteries, and provide for all maintenance.
This is the team that stood shoulder to shoulder with the “positive candidate” declaring their competence, performance, work ethic and team effort should be rewarded by re-election. Citizens are questioning have they bungled, wasted, and used county resources inappropriately. The commissioners hiring and promotion practices have been under fire by job applicants, current and past employees and other citizens who question who is related to who , and perceive that when new jobs are created they are filled by family and friends. Many examples have been cited that give that appearance.
One health worker called me regarding the reported events said,” it doesn’t matter if I have to work on weekends or nights and call outs, I still have to be at my job during the day work hours and I am not allowed to conduct my personal business during daily work hours and I sure cannot go out for a beer. When I go fishing or out to eat or pick up my wife I have to take my own car and I drive my car to and from work every day just like the hundreds of other employees that work here.” I pay my own health insurance and car insurance and pay for my own gas and I do not make a $100,000.00 a year even though I help save lives.”
I am convinced that there is a need to have a probing and thoughtful discussion to officially change our county commissioners to part time. Should we save the taxpayers money by banning personal county vehicles for commissioners the same as we do for state legislators? Shall we treat the county commissioners the same as state legislators and ban the practice of issuing county credit cards? They should have the same privileges as state legislators and pay for their own lunches, dinners and entertainment of self, family and friends. And the next time they buy an ad in a newspaper, magazine, program or other communication that simply promotes them let them pay for it out of their own pockets. The news media can take care of the legitimate reporting.
When travel is necessary they should use a pool car, track their legitimate expenses, and voucher them with a receipt for reimbursement. That system worked fine when I worked in the private sector and in the public sector as a city council representative and a state representative. Let the accountability begin. The commissioners were moving forward to hire a professional county manager and that makes sense. They can then attend their 2 meetings a week and take care of their personal business, in their personal cars on what ever day and hour they wish, and we can deem them part time like legislators.
As taxpayers would we accept a referendum to make commissioners part time and pay them $30,000.00 a year and cap that pay to remain the same as a state legislator. We can help them set their salaries as part time and pay them pro rata by law. We no longer need to saddle them or the taxpayers with the $100,000.00 salary and benefit package.
Let me close by asking should we seriously consider having a professional county manager administer the business of the county with board of commissioners. The part time status and reduced commissioner salaries would allow us to transfer funds to the manager position while still employing three commissioners. The commissioners are not victims here so if and when they begin to complain save your empathy for the families and children that are unemployed and no longer have vehicles and credit cards to tide them over.
I am posting Dorothy Butcher's letter to the Editor - The Chieftain has not posted it

Maninbox
06-18-2009, 06:51 AM
You go Dorothy..!!!

large
06-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Just wondering . . Do you suppose Dorothy had a clue about any of this, and how it was done, when she announced that after serving in the State Assembly and being term limited, she was going to run for the office "Tombstone" ended up with?

Kind of one of those "Any rock that is handy" deals? After all, if it gets to the point that "Tombstone's" starting to be like the fish and politician's saying, she might be able to end up as "Second Choice" and it'll be her turn to use or abuse the system . .

Suppose? Simply because, before anything else, Dorothy is a Politician. In the State assembly, she did some good . . some not so . . but was always on the issue . . I think the local Dems not only screwed the Citizens with Cordova, but got in a whack at Dorothy . .

butwotthehelldoIknow?

loose cannon
06-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Cordova had poured beer over her and slapped her during an argument at a Lake Avenue tavern.

Tombstone Cordova has proven that he can not only drink and drive Taxpayer's vehicles- he has found other uses for beer in his busy schedule. Now that some of the background issues are coming out- Maybe, the circumstances surrounding why Cordova was fired from the Pueblo County Roads & Bridges Department will be revealed.

large
06-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, in both Nunez' and Cordova's situations with spousal or domestic abuse, it paints a not so pretty picture of a couple of cowards . . or bullies . .

You might debate the necessity for a man to smack around or degrade a woman, but I've never seen it justified if the man could move his feet in another direction. And while I've always felt that a woman was stupid for going back after being hit the first time, that's no excuse.

And apparently in Cordova's case, once wasn't enough, he's a "serial" abuser, as well as, possibly, a drunk . . .

Loren Swelk
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
There sure a lot of similarities, though I doubt if either bird was a woman beater:

loose cannon
06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Understand the Chieftain has dug into the free cars and gas for our Public Servants-- Abuse by the 3 Commissioners has brought all this to the fore

large
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, so far, the news sources have dug a hole . . and found . . Gravel . . .

Basically . . more questions than answers, but no hard evidence of (?)criminal activity . . .

From what we know right now . . A very loose and sloppy operation . .

loose cannon
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
two letters to Editor in last Wednesday papers that may have escaped much public notice

County cars

Thanks for (publishing) the information on the county cars. I was so relieved that the county employees aren't taking the chance of getting in a wreck with newer cars.

Don Dever

Pueblo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commissioners, too

This is in regard to the recent article on the county commissioners. It is unfortunate that the incident that occurred 11 years ago has reared its ugly head again. I in no way contacted Dorothy Butcher about anything and I resent the fact that she is using me to mud-sling. As for John Cordova, its called Karma.

Imogene Algien

Pueblo

Still trying to figure out Ms Algien who had her tires slashed and beer dumped on her by our County Commissioner - she thinks Cordova deserves the bad Karma but blames the messenger - Dorothy Butcher for bringing the Truth out.
Regards the cars, I understand Channel 5 is doing Part II the Pueblo County cars Thursday night 7/16. I hear it is a moving experience. Next they might want to think about the liability to the taxpayers if our drinking Commissioner hits someone after he makes his appointed rounds to and from the Golf Course.

loose cannon
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Cars II- The Movie is coming soon! Starring our favorite County Commissioners Mo, Larry & Curly

Commissioner take-home vehicle miles are inaccurate, costs to taxpayers adding up

Published Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:47 PM MDT
Updated Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:49 PM MDT

The numbers don't add up when it comes to giving each Pueblo County Commissioner their own take-home county vehicles.

At the July 9th County Commission public work session, a county report was presented that made it appear it's cheaper to give the 3 commissioners take-home cars, rather than have them use their own cars and then reimburse them for miles driven on county business.

The numbers presented in the meeting used the county's entire fleet of cars, with no specifics about the commissioners' cars.

The meeting was a response to questions raised in our undercover investigation in June. Based on insider tips, we found 2 commissioners using their government cars for personal business far more than public business.

When we asked Commissioner Nunez last month if he keeps track of his personal miles, as the IRS requires, "There isn't, I don't have any accounting on it," he told News First Investigates.

Records from the County Budget & Finance Office show someone was writing down some personal mileage for him. They were marking down 12.4 miles a day, 5 days a week. It's for round trips from his home to the office.

It's the same thing for Commissioner Cordova, his roundtrips to the office are 8.8 miles, marked down for 5 days a week. But for both of them, those round trips were also marked down on 2 days each that we followed them and neither of them even went to the office.
Neither commissioner, nor the County Budget & Finance Director returned our calls.

County records show, after we raised questions, the next monthly mileage report for Nunez nearly doubled the amount of personal miles to 452.

As far as work miles, during the 10 days we watched him and Cordova, they both drove the government cars on obviously work-related business only a few blocks each. The rest was personal use, including Nunez stopping by his bar every day, going to the gym and dropping a friend off at a tire shop.

Cordova drove a few more blocks than Nunez, and even though it's debatable, we're even considering a campaign announcement for a city council candidate -- work-related. Far more often, however, he too used the car for his own personal business.

County records show, he also marked down some extra personal miles -- beyond work to home and back -- since he started in office this year. Commissioner Jeff Chostner's mileage records also show he marked down personal miles beyond the round trips between home and the office.

By our calculations, using the odometer readings on their county cars, if the commissioners drove their own cars and if the taxpayers reimbursed them for "every" mile, including all their personal miles, it would be cheaper than giving them each a take-home car.

Based on the county's numbers, the commissioners would each get reimbursed roughly $5,000 dollars a year. That puts them in line, but still a couple thousand over what the 2 most reimbursed commissioners in neighboring El Paso County are on pace to get this year.
For Pueblo taxpayers the total mileage reimbursement cost over 3 years would be $47,000. Under the current policy, the taxpayers have already spent $88,486 on the 3 county cars over 3 years.

As for neighboring El Paso County, commissioners there don't take home county cars. They get reimbursed and a few don't ask for much more than a couple thousand dollars a year. Commissioner Wayne Williams never asks for reimbursement because he thinks the $87,000 dollar yearly salary taxpayers give each commissioner should cover it.

"I think, given that, that I don't need to be nickel and diming the taxpayer for, you know, $2 for a visit to this meeting, or something else along that line," Williams told News first Investigates, "I think it's just part of what we do as a commissioner."

large
07-17-2009, 07:08 AM
And then the County obsfucates by involving the entire County Fleet in the Mix . . and telling the newspaper that it's cheaper to assign fleet vehicles to the employees than to reimburse them for using their personal vehicles . . Well, yeah, it is, because those employees on call at all times of the day, or Supervisors (who literally live in their vehicles) aren't part of the argument or discussion.

The Investigation was concerning 3, that's THREE, vehicles, used by the County Commissioners, 24/7, and how necessary the benefit really is . . and, of course, where the users go in those vehicles . . A point, apparently, the Commissioners and the Bureaucrats have missed . . Or are ducking!

Loren Swelk
07-17-2009, 08:15 AM
The county will soon learn that James Jarman is more tenacious than a junk yard dog and this obfuscation (love that word) is not going away, especially when two of the county commissioners are not smart enough to reach back and find their a$$ with both hands and will continue to rub the publics nose in their mess.

loose cannon
07-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Here are the video links to Channel 5 investigative reports
Cars:
http://managekoaa.worldnow.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3963176&h1=Undercover%20Follow&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=267300&LaunchPageAdTag=News&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&rnd=86984027

Part time Commissioners: golfing, drinking & driving

http://managekoaa.worldnow.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3841609&h1=NFI%20Undercover&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=299300&LaunchPageAdTag=News&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&rnd=60223740

large
07-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Another thing one might note . . and it hasn't come up yet (But I betcha it will) is that ugly word, "Racism" . .

How come Jeff Chostner isn't being picked on by Jarman? Y'know why? Chostner's County vehicle sits idle in his driveway most of the time . . He doesn't use it . .

On the other hand, Nunez and Cordova are gonna look around when things tighten up some more and play the "Race" Card . . 'Cause, it's gonna be all they have left . .

And . . they aren't smart enough to leave the cars sit . .

loose cannon
07-21-2009, 07:15 AM
racism charges was part of the viewerposts that were on the KOAA website after the reports first aired. Debbie Rose also received threats alleging she was a racist and "would get hers" for airing the issues with John Cordova. Give her a call at the Beulah General Store to confirm.
However, in Chostner's case you need to remember that Chostner's law office is just a couple of blocks south of the Courthouse & the Commissioners park on the Northside VIP parking area. So Chostner could easily go out the Southside & anyone watching the County car* -would not know he was not in the Courthouse. Plus he is a whole lot brighter about being subtle- so there may be an issue but it is not race, its IQ.
Chostner is also the one who pushed hardest for the County manager -'Commissioner's job was too much work and interfers with his law practice'
* the issue with Chostner is not his abuse of the County vehicles but rather his treating the office as a part time political stepping stone

large
07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
The only reason that I made the statement about Chostner's Car not going anywhere, is because a friend of mine lives a couple of houses away from Chostner, and in a conversation about the first TV revelation, stated that when the news broke the article, it dawned on him why Chostner's car hadn't moved for about three weeks of so . . Apparently Chostner sniffed the deal out and just avoided any suspicions of impropriety . . .

And . . Believe me, there's very little Lily White associated with Chostner . . Look at his resume and want list . . he's retired Military (to his credit), A Lawyer (?), and an Aspiring Politician(?) . . the last two puts him in the company of Whale Sh*t . .

Give him credit for one thing though, He's smarter than the other two combined (which doesn't earn him any honor, because an IQ of 5 will do that) and plays one off the other subtly . .

loose cannon
07-21-2009, 05:35 PM
I had heard from SO folks that Chostner had driven his own vehicle to Courthouse week that the report came out but I did not realize it was before as well. With everything going on with the Freedom of Information requests by KOAA before the reports ( and I know Kogovsek has staff keep track of information copied and given out under the Freedom or Information/open records requests) and given how Channel 5 investigated & filmed the DA in Springs even a blind squirrel should have seen the light to hide their acorns. I had to list each record I wanted to review and also put stickly notes on each one I want copied & County employees in the Finance office as far as I could tell made a second copy of what I requested during the 08 campaign.

large
07-22-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm betting that the County management is keeping all that information very close to the vest, and will Obsfucate on anything that the press (or anyone else) wants or needs to know that might bear either political pressure or outright scandal on any of the Commissioners or Department Heads. It's a Cover Yer A** deal, and they seem to be doing it by flooding information on any chosen subject, and as in the case of two commissioner's automobiles, involving ALL the county's fleet and letting those interested pick out the wheat that's buried in the chaff . . .

Loren Swelk
07-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Is the County still charging an exorbinant amount to copy items requested under the FOI act. At one time they were attempting to charge something like $8 a page. The reason was clear. With all that is going on with the two part time commissioners, why isn't there a recall petition circulating? Oh I know why.......the only ones who do that are the (redacted) and the (redacted) and sometimes the (redacted) party.

large
07-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, personally, I don't believe that a recall is either efficient or wise . . and most often is non productive . . Although after the last one locally, the Dist 60 fiasco, while it really accomplished nothing, the one thing that did come of it was the change of tone on the board . . no more catfights and backstabbing through the press and other media . .

Watch the PW West Board of Directors deal . . I'm guessing (Not betting, y'understand) that it will end up being much ado about nothing . . but will stigmatize the whole community in the eyes of both politicians and those who would work there . . already, they immediately lost their new manager as soon as he got a good look under the dress . . and certainly didn't want any of that!

Went to Alaska, I understand . . heheheheh!

loose cannon
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Recall in the case of the Commissioners will take a lot due to the number of folks who allegedly voted in the 08 election - per the Colo Constitution recall requires valid signatures from registered voters in the amount of 25% of the folks who voted in that office in the last election - so that will be more than 15,000- so anyone who undertakes a recall faces a very large task-- the recall in Pueblo West is based on the turnout in the Metro election which is very sparse in comparison. Certainly a recall is warranted but may not be practical to get it done.

large
07-23-2009, 12:50 PM
How the hell will Cordova dig up all those Roselawn residents again . . ?

And . .

Recalls are seldom practical . . or economically justifiable!

As for Pueblo West, it appears that they are gonna have a hell of time keeping (if they can hire one in the first place) a Manager . . I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to walk into that beehive . .

Loren Swelk
07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I am wondering if Commissioner Nunez was able to read this press release and understand it? Remember his defense against blowing the PW Wal Mart deal was he didn't understand what he was reading.

large
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
The man couldn't read a Lotto Ticket!

Loren Swelk
01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Cordova sees no reason for a primary challenge from Ray Aguilera or Buffie McFadyen. (http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/more-take-aim-at-county-commissioner/article_6c9fe1da-38ee-11e1-8348-001871e3ce6c.html)

"I'm not aware that I've done anything that merits a primary challenge," he said Friday.

The above should be the quote of the week. Our memories are not that short Mr. Cordova. It wasn't what you have said or done in the last 10 days, it is what a disappointment you have been for three years. Remember the trip to Vegas in a county owned car?

former City Council President Ray Aguilera confirmed that he intends to challenge Cordova in a Democratic primary.
A am surprised that it took Ray this long to have someone Google for him the salary of a county commissioner.

large
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
OKaaaaay . . Then it'll be Buffie Widebutt Vs. Cordova w/ a Packrat on the side . . . in the primary . .

Vote for Debbie Rose and avoid the whole soap opera . .

large
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Want to know why you don't want to vote for Packrat? Read his campaign ads, look at all the money he spent building parks and buildings . .

And then look at your light, gas and water bills, compare them with last December's (2010) and thank Mr. Aguilera for the increases . .

You'll pay for his personal monuments for years . .

large
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Cordova's finally right . . for all the wrong reasons . . granted, the county doesn't have the $51 million to build the new Judiicial Building. Worse, the county won't be able to afford the moving costs and remodel to follow . . . how much of the Oak that's currently in the Judicial Building at 10th and Grand is going to the new one? Anybody know? My bet is Zero.

Can't have "Used" Oak in a new court room. The Judge might be offended!

So what will become of all that fancy furniture? Dunno, but when the county spends an arm and a leg to remodel the existing building at 10th and Grand for whatever purpose they decide to use it for, (probably the S.O. Offices or something, because it's that close) But count on this . . betcha they add on another couple of million for a "Slight remodel" and get rid of all that expensive Oak . .

Another question I keep asking myself . . 14 courtrooms? They only have 4 judges and one's retiring . . did I miss something?

Marc.N
02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Lessee, so many courtrooms so little time......

A "wellness center".

Childcare center.

Masseuse services.

Juice and coffee bar.

Big screen TV rest and relaxation lounge.

Fast food mini kiosks?

large
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Further, on the subject of the New Courthouse . .

An excerpt from a suit being filed against the County Commissioners, et al, for failing to obtain consent from the governed . .

11. The COMM’RS as the governing body are clothed with full authority to make all contracts which are essential to the management of the county affairs. LIGGETT v BOARD OF COMM’RS 6 Colo. App. 269, 40 P 475 (1895). See Article 1, §10, CI. 4.

12.The COMM’RS must ac " t collecttvely as a three member board in order to bind the
county. NICHOLL v E-470 PUBLIC HIGHWAY AUTH. 896 P.2d 859 (Colo. 1995). See also, O’GORMAN v. INDUSTRIAL CLAIM APPEALS OFFICE, 839 P.2d 1149 (Colo. 1992). Stated differently, all three COMM’RS are a majority and must act collectively as a whole body politic. See Title 30-11-108 c.f. 2-4-110 C.R.S.

13. The COMM’RS have not acted collectively as a Board with JOHN CORDOVA having dissented regarding the financial arrangements of this 55 million U.S. obligation extravaganza.

14. The COMM’RS have admitted to the commission of a felony by choosing to use reserves on hand for two years to finance the judicial building. They are willfully in violation of Article
X, § 13, in the Colorado state Constitution of 1876. Evidence of profit is revealed in the Comprehensive Annual Transaction Report (CAFTR).

15. The COMM’RS are usurping their subscribed and sworn oath of office by failing to honor their oath of office to "derive theirjust powers from the consent of the governed". They have entered into a contract to build a new judicial building without getting consent of the governed

16. The COMM’RS know or should know that consent of the governed, the voters appears in two places in the Colorado state Constitution of 1876; namely, in Article 10, § 20 (2)(4) known as TABOR; and in Article XI, § 5 which obediently honors the Declaration of Independence to
"...derivingtheirjustpowersfrom the consent of the governed. "

17. The COMM’RS have usurped their oaths of office by violating Article XI, § 1. They have pledged the credit of the county, the people who make up the county, in aid of a corporation-- WELLS FARGO BANK.

18. The COMM’RS have usurped their oaths of office by violating Article XI, §2. The COMM’RS have placed the people in Pueblo county (the county) in joint ownership of at least three buildings, namely new Heath Department Building, the addition to the Jail, and existing
Judicial building.

Lessee how far this goes . . .