PDA

View Full Version : Spam vs. Trolling

CountryFlowers
09-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Hello, everyone!

I'm your new forum moderator. I just started today and have been reading through some of these topics.

It looks like there is a very good group of people here, over all, and that everyone gets along fairly well on most topics. I also see some frustrations.

I thought I'd just quickly post to you what I, as a forum moderator, define as spamming and trolling. Spamming and trolling are not limited to these, but do include these (Other forum moderators may or may not agree with me, this is just my personal take):

1. Posting links in the first 5 posts made by a newbie.
There is an exception to this, and it has to do with the content of the post. If the content has general flow, like PastorBill's posts, I'm likely to let that ride, because that person is making an attempt to become part of this community and we welcome their participation.

2. Harrassment, inflammatory posts, general annoyances
One of the members indicated that established members tend to have more understanding and patience with each other when there is name calling or inflammatory posts being made, but that it's another story when it's someone who is brand new to the forum doing this.

I am inclined to agree and will allow this within reason, but I will not hesitate to give warnings when needed or delete posts in need of deleting (like spam posts).

Newbies should establish a relationship with other participants before resorting to these behaviors otherwise they'll be seen as trolls and will be dealt with accordingly.

Trolling behavior includes following people from topic to topic harassing them, deliberately starting new topic after new topic when the same basic thing is being discussed already, name calling, deliberately trying to create flame wars, and things of this nature that annoy established members.

People have a right to their opinion, but they do not have the right to be a nuisance about it. If the majority of people complain about a member or a post I am left with no choice but to deal with it.

I don't want to start off the bat and be bossy or anything, I'm not here for that. I'm simply here to keep the peace, mostly, so that this forum will remain an enjoyable experience for everyone.

none
09-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Hello, everyone!

I'm your new forum moderator. I just started today and have been reading through some of these topics.

It looks like there is a very good group of people here, over all, and that everyone gets along fairly well on most topics. I also see some frustrations.

I thought I'd just quickly post to you what I, as a forum moderator, define as spamming and trolling. Spamming and trolling are not limited to these, but do include these (Other forum moderators may or may not agree with me, this is just my personal take):

1. Posting links in the first 5 posts made by a newbie.
There is an exception to this, and it has to do with the content of the post. If the content has general flow, like PastorBill's posts, I'm likely to let that ride, because that person is making an attempt to become part of this community and we welcome their participation.

2. Harrassment, inflammatory posts, general annoyances
One of the members indicated that established members tend to have more understanding and patience with each other when there is name calling or inflammatory posts being made, but that it's another story when it's someone who is brand new to the forum doing this.

I am inclined to agree and will allow this within reason, but I will not hesitate to give warnings when needed or delete posts in need of deleting (like spam posts).

Newbies should establish a relationship with other participants before resorting to these behaviors otherwise they'll be seen as trolls and will be dealt with accordingly.

Trolling behavior includes following people from topic to topic harassing them, deliberately starting new topic after new topic when the same basic thing is being discussed already, name calling, deliberately trying to create flame wars, and things of this nature that annoy established members.

People have a right to their opinion, but they do not have the right to be a nuisance about it. If the majority of people complain about a member or a post I am left with no choice but to deal with it.

I don't want to start off the bat and be bossy or anything, I'm not here for that. I'm simply here to keep the peace, mostly, so that this forum will remain an enjoyable experience for everyone.
my sarcasm eludes me.