PDA

View Full Version : self righteous jerks editing old posts

none
09-15-2008, 11:43 PM
pastorbill logged in here a few days ago and spammed.
now he is going back and editing 22 hour old posts that have already been answered many times over lock him out please.
I have the original print out of the thread if you need it.
I can make copies on your copy machine when I deliver them if need be.

large
09-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Geez, if that gets yer shorts inna bunch, mebbe you ought to do something else for sport . .

When I quit having fun doing something, I go do something else . .

Sandra
09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't see any reason to lock PastorBill out, he hasn't really violated the user terms any more than anyone else. Gosh, the rest of us have been far worse on these forums than PastorBill.

I know that if this were one of my forums PastorBill would have to do a heck of a lot worse to even be put in the time out chair let alone be locked out completely. (Of course, I'm far more tolerant when I'm in charge than when I'm not...lol)

Does the ignore function work? If so maybe that will ease things, none, that way you won't see PastorBill's posts unless you're viewing the forum without being logged in.

Loren Swelk
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Ignore works just as well as being banned, unless it is continous serial spammers and the webmaster has done an outstanding job in filtering out those (one can only but so many iPods from the UK). Those of us that have been here from the beginning remember the early days when there were more spam posts than legitimate ones.

none
09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
large my eyes are tearing over.
its inappropriate for pastorbill to modify old posts, unless he's just a jerk.
I do not run this forum so I guess anything goes, which is cool.
but I bet you'd be the first to call for help if it were anywhere but online.
and not specifically for any...
its not like me on my first post to say hey here is my website we need you to join my crusade.
ha

spectre013
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Just a word to the wise, every one should really learn to get a long or the forums will go to the way of the comments on the website and that is gone.

Not that any one at the Chieftain actually looks at this site any more.

Sandra
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Honestly, Spectre 13, this is a good forum over all, even with the arguments going on. Right now the discussion is good, at times it gets overly heated. However, I've seen far worse. Have you seen how people who are commenting to each other on the Gazette site are treating each other? (The forums are mild but the comments - omg - lol!)

Hopefully it won't ever get that bad here, but If the very worst it can ever be here has already been, then this place should continue on just fine.

HOWEVER - if this place ever does close down - come on over to my site -- you all know where that is, I don't want to spam this forum with that.

;)

none
09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I just took my forum down.
please please can I post my website address, and b4 you make any comments I am the web administrator and system operator who views the logs, pays the electricity that runs the computer that holds the software that I installed after I built the darn thing, who can ban anyone for any reason who knows little about the laws concerning the operation of a public forum.
I can have the forum operational in a couple of days, if I try real hard to get it going ( at the moment I am trying to use less sarcasm in 'community needs').
but then again there is always spam.

Loren Swelk
09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
All you have to do is look at the Rants and Raves section of Craigslist in any city (especially Denver and Colorado Springs) and you will see that this is a great forum with a good interchange of ideas from people with different viewpoints. Yes occasionally someone will troll bait just to ilicit a response, but all in all this is a great forum.

none
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
my post about my server was sincere.

none
09-20-2008, 12:12 PM
webmaster, if you made it to this post hopefully you won't lock out pastorbill.

Danial
09-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Hey I am new to this but maybe a person shouldnt be able to edit once people have responded to what they wrote because that person can change the whole context of what he wrote ( am i wrong ) now on to something else can people start a forum ?

none
09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey I am new to this but maybe a person shouldnt be able to edit once people have responded to what they wrote because that person can change the whole context of what he wrote ( am i wrong ) now on to something else can people start a forum ?
I would guess that vBulletin software has a setting to allow non-editable posts.
about a forum, long story short: yes.
I had one and never advertised it and I was the only user.
I guess times are changing.
since we're now onto a new topic, do you really want to start a forum of your own?
it takes about 2-1/2 hours to setup.
I haven't set it up on winXP native but the install shouldn't take much longer.
there is a work around to do it my way.
its easy to do.
e-mail is the stressfull part, but you don't need email to run a forum of your own.
if interested I can give step by step.

Sandra
09-22-2008, 09:12 PM
none, I can set up a forum in less than that...lol...and I have several of them.

To start your own forum, you don't even have to have your own server (although I use my own).

Just go to proboards.com and sign up - it's free and you even get forum tools. You can dress your forum up any way you'd like and everything. There's even a forum there by other users who will help you rate your forum and even give you tips. It's quite simple.

I started one there some time ago and people from here have used it.
check it out: http://cospeaks.proboards12.com/index.cgi

It's no longer in use but it'll give you an old idea of what you can do. The more modern ones look even better than this.

none
09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
none, I can set up a forum in less than that...lol...and I have several of them.

To start your own forum, you don't even have to have your own server (although I use my own).

Just go to proboards.com and sign up - it's free and you even get forum tools. You can dress your forum up any way you'd like and everything. There's even a forum there by other users who will help you rate your forum and even give you tips. It's quite simple.

I started one there some time ago and people from here have used it.
check it out: http://cospeaks.proboards12.com/index.cgi

It's no longer in use but it'll give you an old idea of what you can do. The more modern ones look even better than this.
I assume the danial wants total control over the forum including privacy for the least amount of expenditure; to quantify in dollars I would say none.

Sandra
09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
You get that with proboards, believe it or not. And it's completely free.

Only thing is that they have google ads running in the header, but those don't really get in the way, you can pay a few bucks to have them removed, last I looked it was like $5.00. Mine's the free version.

PS - it can be styled however you want. I don't operate that one anymore, I operate forums on my own server now, so I don't bother with proboards anymore, but they're cool. I recommend them to anyone looking to build a forum. Set up is easy, it's all very user friendly and it has options I don't even have on some of my own forums, sadly enough. lol

none
09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
You get that with proboards, believe it or not. And it's completely free.

Only thing is that they have google ads running in the header, but those don't really get in the way, you can pay a few bucks to have them removed, last I looked it was like $5.00. Mine's the free version.

PS - it can be styled however you want. I don't operate that one anymore, I operate forums on my own server now, so I don't bother with proboards anymore, but they're cool. I recommend them to anyone looking to build a forum. Set up is easy, it's all very user friendly and it has options I don't even have on some of my own forums, sadly enough. lol
total control, no cost other than your existing internet connection fee.
no ads, no remote admin backing up your data, nothing.
2-1/2 hours or less.
I wrote a script to automate some of it.

Sandra
09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
pffft....

and what server would it go on? hosting costs money in addition to one's internet connection fee.

As for me, I would trust Proboards over anyone (other than my own self) because ProBoards has been around for a while, they're secure, and they have a good reputation plus to my knowledge, they've not had any down time.

They have full back up, as well.

none
09-22-2008, 11:33 PM
pffft....

and what server would it go on? hosting costs money in addition to one's internet connection fee.

As for me, I would trust Proboards over anyone (other than my own self) because ProBoards has been around for a while, they're secure, and they have a good reputation plus to my knowledge, they've not had any down time.

They have full back up, as well.
a universal power supply to prevent down time due to electrical outages can be purchased as far as backup goes a few gig hard drive or usb stick could work, but the inquiry was not made.
in less than 2-1/2 hours danial could use the computer danial logged into to run a forum, simple (with total control).

Danial
09-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Ok maybe what i really wanted is not a forum would be nice to get a block of voters together to do something or even a group of people that have skills to help each other out always liked the idea of barn rasing as long as everyone does a fair share no bumps on the log to say.

Sandra
09-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Oh, well in that case, approach city council about appointing a barn raising committee. lol...

Seriously, if you want to do something like that, just go out and talk to your neighbors. The willing will participate and the unwilling won't. Simple as that.

pastorbill
09-25-2008, 04:26 AM
I did not know giving my web address was spamming. If I had know that I would not have given my web address. If I spell something incorrectly I can't go back and fix it? I am not changing my post. I am new to these types of forums. I have never been on a forum. This is my first time. Please forgive me for my mistakes. Everyone have a blessed day today. With love Pastorbill

none
09-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I did not know giving my web address was spamming. If I had know that I would not have given my web address. If I spell something incorrectly I can't go back and fix it? I am not changing my post. I am new to these types of forums. I have never been on a forum. This is my first time. Please forgive me for my mistakes. Everyone have a blessed day today. With love Pastorbill
well now you know.

Sandra
09-25-2008, 07:35 PM
And what about you, none? Is that YOUR web address appearing in your signature? Hm? (Pot calling kettle....?)

none
09-25-2008, 07:39 PM
And what about you, none? Is that YOUR web address appearing in your signature? Hm? (Pot calling kettle....?)
yeah, well considering there is a setting in Vbulletin to disable the ability to post links in a person's post and I got over a hundred posts I thought I would add it to my signature.
ain't my problem the default isn't changed.

sweet_chin_music
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Giving out your web address in good faith is NOT spamming. If you are contributing to the forums, it's fine to post it once in a while. If you showed up once, said "check out pueblo's new church" and never showed up again, it would still be a stretch to call it spamming since it has to do with the community. If Large has a website showing some of his paint work, I think it'd be fine to put it in the sig file as long as he's a contributing member.

If you notice a typo within 5 minutes or so, it's fine to edit the post. If it's after 5 minutes, best not to since it looks questionable.

Don't let the bullies around here give you a bad taste.

BTW, I've been around for two church plantings here and IMO, it's a rough go. Finances have to be set before coming because it won't come in through the front door for a while. I saw a lot of people leaving place A to go to place B, while the people from place B go to place A. Add in places C,D,E,F and G and that's what I've seen around here. Might be the same in other locations, but I think the economic situation around here contributes to a higher level of churches going under in their first two years. PM me if you have questions.

Sandra
09-26-2008, 12:37 PM
none - oh, so it's okay for you to post a link to your website but not PastorBill? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just showing you how hypocritical your posts look, that's all. When you're getting after someone for posting their link, and you're displaying your own, it just looks bad.

and SCM, this one's for you - in reality, when it's the first post doing that, it is spammish looking. However, anyone with a brain (except for none) can see that PastorBill wasn't intending to spam.

davide, on the other hand, is, and I see he's still doing it. If this were my forum I'd have banned him by now.

none
09-26-2008, 06:04 PM
none - oh, so it's okay for you to post a link to your website but not PastorBill? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just showing you how hypocritical your posts look, that's all. When you're getting after someone for posting their link, and you're displaying your own, it just looks bad.[...]
I posted my link AFTER contributing how many posts?
the guy has no clue, thats all.
on a side note: jones town came up in a conversation today, and here you are giving this guy the green light.
your criteria for hypocrisy is a little skewed IMO.
I don't trust pastorbill