PDA

View Full Version : Beulah

The realist
08-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I've seen two stories in the Chieftain about two state legislators visiting Beulah, looking at the flood damage, holding meetings with Beulah residents -- and neither state legislator has Beulah in their districts! I commend Buffie McFadyen and Dorothy Butcher for their genuine concerns about Beulah's struggles, but I have to wonder why I haven't read about Beulah's state legislator spearheading these efforts. Perhaps I missed the article.

large
08-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Face Time, Face Time . . that's all it's about . . See any County Commissioners, The Sheriff, or any others who could actually make a difference up there ? . . You can't even find a quoted mumble in any sort of media from them . .

And of course, all those who have suffered any damage or inconvenience from the rainstorm seek to blame the "Mason Gulch Forest Fire scar" for the damage, thus making the U.S. Forest service responsible for the bill and future improvements to all concerned properties . .

Folks forget that when 5 inches of rain falls anywhere in even a 24 hour period, you will have flooding, and if you live in the mountains, water runs downhill fast. Often in places it usually doesn't run . .

Just fix it and move on . . If you want government help, there'll be strings attached . .

sweet_chin_music
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Face Time, Face Time . . that's all it's about . . See any County Commissioners, The Sheriff, or any others who could actually make a difference up there ? . . You can't even find a quoted mumble in any sort of media from them . .

I find it interesting that our last sheriff routinely seemed to show up on scenes like the one up in Beulah. Maybe he couldn't do anything, but at least he appeared to care.

I just hope that Sheriff Taylor doesn't disturbs Dan's things too much, cause I've got a feeling Sheriff Corsentino will be getting another term come 2010.

large
08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
'cause I've got a feeling Sheriff Corsentino will be getting another term come 2010.

Heh, heh, I talked to Danny about a week ago . . I think he's very happy doing what he's doing now, and he seemed to be very positive about not getting back into Politics again . .

But yes, Kirk Taylor isn't making much of a dent in the community . .

However, it was reported that Commissioner Jeff Chostner was up there at one time, dunno when, actually.

sweet_chin_music
08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Heh, heh, I talked to Danny about a week ago . . I think he's very happy doing what he's doing now, and he seemed to be very positive about not getting back into Politics again . .

Well, Pueblo County is getting what they wanted I guess. I just know from a firsthand experience that Dan went far and above what a county sheriff normally does. Besides doing a very good job as sheriff (which is way beyond catching criminals), all his work with the National Sheriff board, Homeland Security, teaching a class at the university every semester, showing up at community functions, being available to the residents (my first interaction with Dan was him returning a phone call less than 30 minutes after I left a message concerning DUI drivers exiting a formerly busy bar and going the wrong way, nearly hitting me as I came home from work twice), there is no way he got more than five hours of sleep a night. :-)

In the 8+ months that Taylor has been sheriff, I haven't seen him once at the number of events I've attended in Pueblo or Pueblo West. Maybe I'm just overlooking the guy, but I'm starting to think the residents of this county elected a 9-5 guy that probably takes an 11-3 lunch with the county commissioners and our DA, that if he was playing baseball, would be batting .093.

large
08-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Hmmm, be careful what you wish for, I guess. Sheriff Kirk flew up to Beulah, arrested a high profile marijuana Grower, tore down his plants and Operation and was home by 2 pm . . disregarding the fact that the grower is apparently in compliance with State Laws regarding growing of same . . or believed he was . .

Lessee how much that will cost Pueblo County Taxpayers before the dust settles . .

artie
08-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I respect both men, Corsentino and Taylor, but they present differing strategies for law enforcement. Dan was more political and perhaps thought of Pueblo County in a national context.
Kirk has a better presence in schools and delivers more local patrolling, but is less politically inclined.
I like the fact that I saw a sheriff's dept. cruiser "discovering" my backwoods neighborhood recently. I like the fact that speeding tickets are being written locally.
With Kirk I feel like the tax money is making its way to my neighborhood.
Dan might do better with national threats-terrorism issues-perhaps, but I am more worried about DUI enforcement and crackheads. I think Kirk is doing fine in that regard.
I don't know if he is adept at road construction, though, especially as it pertains to a state highway to Beulah.
RT

victomofcircumstance
08-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Gosh..."IF" Sexton has legitimate card holders to "CareGive" for, isn't "Captain" Kirk and company liable AND wide open for a helluva' law suit??
"WHAT" gives him the right to circumvent State Law??
Are Sheriff's now allowed to decide for themselves, which laws to enforce??
Taylor said. “I don't care about the size. I care about what's good for the community.”
And since when is depriving "PRESCRIBED" medical care "Good for the community"???

“The problem is they're not educated. They don't understand or recognize this law that's on the books here in Colorado.

large
08-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Are Sheriff's now allowed to decide for themselves, which laws to enforce??

Apparently, just as the D.A. seems to reserve the right to choose arrest methods . . Humiliation (perp walks) seems to be the Orders du Joir by both the Sheriff and the D.A. although Bill Thiebault denies it . . apparently based upon the idea that if we can't convict him, we'll certainly ruin his life . . Or are they just being nice to the press by notifying them before they notify the suspect?

Zen Curmudgeon
08-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Are Sheriff's now allowed to decide for themselves, which laws to enforce??Of course.

discretion (http://dictionary.law.com/default2.asp?selected=531&bold=||||)
n. the power of a judge, public official or a private party (under authority given by contract, trust or will) to make decisions on various matters based on his/her opinion within general legal guidelines. Examples: a) a judge may have discretion as to the amount of a fine or whether to grant a continuance of a trial; b) a trustee or executor of an estate may have discretion to divide assets among the beneficiaries so long as the value to each is approximately equal; c) a District Attorney may have discretion to charge a crime as a misdemeanor (maximum term of one year) or felony; d) a Governor may have discretion to grant a pardon; or e) a planning commission may use its discretion to grant or not to grant a variance to a zoning ordinance.ZC

large
08-19-2007, 12:49 PM
A couple of things . . about "Discretion" and the "Law" . .

First, while any public official (D.A., Sheriff, Policeman) has discretion about which statue to use (or pursue) depending upon circumstances, attempting to "Convict in the Media", which, apparently, is the "New Standard" being applied by the Pueblo County Officials . . and this is a part of "discretion" that is being mis-applied . .

And questioned here . .

Secondly, many law enforcement agencies (Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor among them) state that they do not enforce federal laws dealing with illegal visitors, workers, or "Immigrants". In the case of Taylor and the "Dope" Farmer, Taylor chose to enforce federal law, because the "Suspect" had proper paperwork issued by the state of Colorado . . or at least chose to ignore Colorado State Law . .

Law Enforcement agencies do not have an "A La Carte" privilege of selecting which laws that they will or will not enforce . . In an ideal situation, all laws being observed being broken should be enforced . . and for a myriad of reasons, usually to enable plea bargaining, normally upon any arrest (outside of minor traffic violations and similar misdemeanors) they fill up a full page with charges, actual, possible, probable and SITS ("See If That'll Stick") and then they bargain down to one or two that they can actually prove with the evidence on hand . .

This is understandable although sometimes hard to swallow . . especially when you have something like an Incident that probably ought to charged and can be convicted of vehicular homicide, or Hit and Run in the least, ends up being pled down to a DUI with a deferred sentence . .

But, to pick and choose WHO gets arrested, for WHAT, and HOW . . especially when the Press or Electronic Media is already at the location (for some odd reason) with cameras cocked and ready . . Pure Political Bullsh*t . . Face Time, Eyewash, whatever you choose to call it, but it certainly isn't "Protecting the Community"!

And here's why . . someplace in our "Roots of the Law" is the belief and statement that all Suspects are no more than i]Humiliating[/i, "Not Guilty until proven in a Court of Law, etc." Humilating Public arrests and "Perp Walks" are no more than that, Humiliating and an attempt to discredit the suspect publicly and perhaps influence any and all jurors in the district that the suspect might be tried in . . Perhaps even force a plea bargain, because of the inability of the defense to find an untainted juror . . especially in the case of a public figure . .

And here's something else about the Zaremba arrest, over the last ten years, the City of Pueblo's Finance Department hasn't been too sharp with their accounting procedures and results . . and their mistakes have been in the MILLIONS, not thousands, a couple of times . . So were I Billy T. I think I'd start looking for some bulletproof shorts . . someone might end up making his a$$ a target . . It could end up being far more humiliating for him if Galli's flunkies blew it . .

Personally, Zaremba's arrest is a "Goat Hunt" and Sexton's was just about the same, perhaps easier, because, as I've said, Sheriff Taylor had his address in the state approved paperwork . . . . If Taylor had have found the same amount of Dope in some backyard do you think it would have made the front page of the paper and led on the Electronic news at 5?

And ya gotta ask, what of the big Pizza Bust with the chop shop, the meth lab, and all the identity theft? That died a quiet death . . didn't it? That story was followed with the one about the Deputies running about Pueblo West, shooting at a loose Pit bull . . Isn't that a residential area?

victomofcircumstance
08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
"Arbitrary and capricious" is how Senior Denver District Judge Larry Naves described the Colorado Health Department's limit of five patients per caregiver, as he issued an injunction suspending the policy statewide.
A Denver District Court judge on Tuesday issued a preliminary injunction, blocking the state from enforcing a rule that says no grower of medical marijuana can provide it to more than five patients.

The ruling by Denver District Judge Larry Naves came after a five-hour hearing in a suit brought last month by 47-year-old Damien LaGoy.

LaGoy, who is suffering from AIDS and Hepatitis C, was denied permission from the state to obtain medical marijuana from his chosen supplier, because that supplier already had five approved clients.

The limit of five was not part of the state's medical marijuana law as passed by voters in 2000, and was established instead as policy to implement that law by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
..at..http://co.mpp.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=ghKLI0PHIoE&b=1769741&ct=4208947

This will be very interesting to follow:

Fort Collins medical marijuana providers James and Lisa Masters are asking county law enforcement officials for more than $200,000 in compensation for 39 confiscated pot plants, seized during a bust of their home last August.
The state’s medical marijuana law requires law enforcement officials to care for and return plants, paraphernalia and equipment upon determination of registered medical marijuana patients and/or dismissal of charges.
from..http://thinkoutsidethecage2.blogspot.com/2007/08/medical-marijuana-hearing-what-if.html

there are between 1500 and 2000 "LEGAL" medical mj users, liscenced and approved to grow and consume. Arresting/incarceration of "all" of them, would certainly make our streets and communities a safer placee, ehh?
..and think how it woulld bog down the judicial system!..We would no longer have the time or resources to track/prosecute/house pedophiles, murderers, rapists, gangst'a, ect...you know, the pillars of society..
Or maybe, we could start a "State registry" for the above violators.
(just thinking that with a database to refer to, maybe..just maybe, LEO could catch some of them)

Maybe it's a safety issue..there is likely a LOT less risk in apprehending a "legal" pot grower, than a robbery suspect...

Bottom line is, it is a travesty to deprive sick people of the "legal" medicine that provides them with reliefe.

large
08-20-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm not one to condone marijuana use, but the state has approved the growing and use of marijuana for certain medical purposes . . I have certainly questioned the law and it's intent, but . . It is the current law, and the feds don't seem to want to get into a "State's Rights issue", so they're backing off and seemingly "looking the other way" . .

My point (and complaint) is simply that Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor didn't use either common sense OR Due Process in the arrest of Sexton and the confiscation of his plants and equipment . . apparently he never checked after reading the posted signs or didn't care . . the latter being the part that concerns me . .

But, chances are . . Mr. Sexton will have legal recourse, and very well may exercise it . . and that, of course will cost the Taxpayer in the end, Settlement or Judgement . .

As far as "The Safety of the Community" goes, 40 acres of Marijuana doesn't constitute the danger one Deputy running around Pueblo West, shooting at a dog in a residential area might constitute. In the case of the dog, don't you think they might have called an "Animal Control Officer"?

Of course this also goes back to one of my redundant points about choice or selectivity of law enforcement, because, if Mr. Sexton was within the parameters of Colorado State Law, then Sheriff Taylor was enforcing Federal Law, which, according to the same office, can't enforce, or even inquire about, the legality of a person's residency in this country . .

Looking at it from a completely different angle, might Sheriff Kirk just be angling for Federal Money . . ? There's DEA Grant Money awarded to local Law Enforcement Agencies for drug busts, but none awarded (or given) for apprehending Illegal aliens . .

victomofcircumstance
08-21-2007, 04:45 AM
My point (and complaint) is simply that Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor didn't use either common sense OR Due Process in the arrest of Sexton and the confiscation of his plants and equipment . . apparently he never checked after reading the posted signs or didn't care . . the latter being the part that concerns me . .
.."Ditto"...
I was speaking/referring to the "medical" aspects only. I never mentioned casual or recreational use, because the state statutes address that, too.
"THAT" is illegal. The city of Denver being the only possible exception.
The thing that influenced me to register and post in this thread, was the fact that I know/have a friend, that is a "card holding" medical user. He is a parapaleegic that suffers from sever muscle spasms. Marijuana doesn't allow him to walk, it isn't a miracle cure. But it does provide him with some reliefe, and allows him to lead a 'more normal' life.
I don't pretend to know all the medical jargon, but I do believe it benefits him.
I don't know where he obtains his medicine, I don't really care.
I just thought of the affects/repercussions it might have on my friend and his family, IF mr. Sexton happen to be his "Care Provider".

beulahdude
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Ivoted for Kirk Taylor. Not again. Imagine spending our taxpayer money to take Nat'l Guard helicopters to bust a legal pot grower. All for a photo op. How can these people spend time and taxpayer money for this, depriving many people of their medication, when there are meth labs in the county, and lots of crime, graffiti, etc. It's insane. Don't these guys have anything better to do? Kirk, get a clue. You don't arrest people for operating within the law. Apparently, you don't respect the laws, or this would not have happened. One phone call the the Marijuana Registry would have avoided this whole fiasco. Dummy!!
Beulahdude

large
08-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I would refer you all to the Thread back aways, "There's a new Sheriff in Town" . .

Another of my now famous "I Told You So's"

beulahdude
08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Does anyone find it totally strange that NOT ONE single article about the medical marijuana bust in Beulah has appeared in the Chieftain since the original article. Hmmmm. Maybe there IS (and should be) a major lawsuit filed against the reckless Sheriffs Department. Why nothing from the Chieftain? Come on, Chieftain, you certainly had no problem putting a picture and big story on the front page. Sp Sheriff Taylor could pose as a big time law enforcement guy with a couple of piddly plants? He's an idiot.

CO Med Patient
08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Preface: I'm new here, and I'm a CO medical patient in compliance with Amendment 20 who smokes marijuana multiple times daily to control chronic back pain caused from a combination of DDD and a 15 year old injury.

Due to this injury and "standard" medical practices, I ended up ADDICTED to OXYCODONE for well over 4 years (it's "legal heroin if you don't know).

In short, after becoming TIRED of being addicted and controlled daily by the narcotics, I tried marijuana and found relief. I then approached my doctor and told him I wanted off the pills..and told him I wanted to get my medical marijuana card/etc and smoke marijuana rather than be addicted to narcotics//etc.

Like MANY uneducated, controlling, and SELFISH doctors in our State..he immediately FREAKED OUT out on me...gave me an earful about "illegal" drug use..and basically told me he would no longer be my doc/write my script for OXYCODONE because "if you smoke pot, you may become impaired and you may become a danger to your family"

Say WHAT? I lost 35 POUNDS taking the oxy's, and I lost my sex drive and my will to care about anything but the pills...and he's telling me I'll be impaired and a danger to the family **that I forgot I had when the pills took over** if I smoke marijuana?? How completely lost and judgmental is that?
So much for the DOCTOR'S OATH!

From there, it got VERY weird. 3 days after the office visit I ran out of narcotics. 2 days after that, I was curled up in a fetal position on the floor next to the toilet..chilling and sweating and vomiting simultaneaously and feeling like I wanted to die.

3 days after that I emerged from HELL....and it felt like a REBIRTH.

I haven't taken a narcotic since, nor any other drug but marijuana..which i now smoke whenever I feel I need it..and without having to BEG for it from any doctor/clinic.

The comments and willingness of others here to step forward in SUPPORT of the use of this drug is what has also brought me here/got me to register on this forum. I'll offer a combo of opinion and education..at least from a patients viewpoint. PLEASE bear with me. This has been a long, exhausting and often frustrating journey.

My first comment regarding this article and BUST is this: I do not support ANYONE in Colorado growing the *number* of plants that Mr. Sexton was growing under the guise of, or umbrella of, Amendment 20. This is how they do it in California..and that way of life is simply not right for our State, nor is it how the law was intended to be used in our State when it was drafted and passed into Law by the voters in 2000.

Beyond that, Mr. Sexton appears to have misunderstood...or worse, appears to have chosen to blatantly ignore the verbiage contained in Amendment 20.

*IF* he indeed does have paperwork for 20+ patients, even 25, as he claims...the laws says that he can have 3 "mature" plants per patient...and 3 plants per patient in vegatative growth that will replace those that are mature when they are harvested. If he has 25 cards, he can therefore, BY LAW, LEGALLY grow 75 plants that are "mature" (are in "flower" and are producing buds/smokeable medicine)

It appears that he had far more than 75 that were maturing...if this was indeed, as reported, an outdoor grow/a field of marijuana that was sighted from the air last week. This is because as the days shorten in Summer/early Fall, the marijuana matures..starting to forming flowers (buds/smokeable medicine) in approx early August...and being ready for harvest sometime in Sept/Oct around the first frost depending upon elevation. As we are in late Summer, the buds are NOW forming, and have been doing so for a few weeks, so these plants were indeed "mature" plants under the description of the Law.

Sadly....had he had 75 plants outside and a WAREHOUSE IN TOWN with the other 75 growing indoors under lights (where most of CO's medical marijuana is grown YEAR ROUND w/ *multiple* harvest per year occurring) and 25 VALID cards, he would have been tending a COMPLETELY LEGAL garden that would have offered him THE AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE that Amendment 20 offers all licensed patients who are IN COMPLIANCE that says that they cannot be prosecuted..nor can their property be siezed for growing or possessing marijuana for themselves or for other licensed patients.

Second: This medication is NOT going away nor are the laws passed by the VOTERS that deal with it. These LAWS are the job of the Sheriff to OBEY...just as you and I are forced to obey them! FYI, there are 35 or so LICENSED patients in Pueblo County alone according to the Stater Medical Registry page @

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hs/Medicalmarijuana/marijuanafactsheet.html

and the movement statewide is fairly strong because our laws provide no "legal' way to procure genetics, thus the underground networking of patients and the widespread sharing of plant material, dried meds, and seeds is a necessary "evil" that must happen EVERYDAY.

As time goes on, the EXPONENTIAL growth of MMJ will be staggering. The "Community" (non-Med)...IMO, would be WISE to become unjudgemental and INVOLVED...especially when it comes to THEIR REPRESENTATIVES STEPPING ON THE RIGHTS OF LICENSED MEDICAL PATIENTS...as Sheriff Taylor's comments that he doesn't care what "size' the garden is..blahblahblah...FULLY illustrate that he intends to do.

Third: Does Sheriff Taylor even KNOW the law he SUPPOSEDLY *upholds*?? The comment was made here that he went in and ripped up Sexton's garden.... is this true?

If he did..Sexton WILL WALK AWAY A FREE MAN.

Why? Well..because Amendment 20 PLAINLY states that IF a med patient is bound over for trail for cultivation issues of ANY type...the PLANTS CONFISCATED MUST BE KEPT ***ALIVE*** as evidence to support the case in court. In addition, precedence HAS been set in the State as another case was dismissed 2 years ago because the arresting COWBOYS came in..invading the PRIVACY of the home owner who WAS LEGAL...and ripped up 120 plants destined for medical use.

OOOPS! Either Taylor destroyed them and the CASE IS OVER...or he's gonna have to ask someone with A CLUE to come to the County building and set up a GROW ROOM and tend to these plants until this case goes to trial!! LOL.
(HEY TAYLOR...I'm available for 50K for the 2 months it will take to finish them..and I'll bring the lights and the nutrients for no extra charge, homey!)

And WOW....depending upon the ruling/precedence set in the Master's case linked above in Ft. Collins...Pueblo County may be also FORCED to pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars to Mr. Sexton for the loss of the MEDICINE Sheriff Taylor destroyed.

What's really ironic here..is that the cops place the standard of roughly $325 an OUNCE when they charge someone and say "$100,000 of marijuana was confiscated" in their trumped up reports to the PUBLIC in the Chietain and other papers...so now...now the patients are SUEING these jurisdictions for that SAME amount of $$$ per ounce for lost meds from illegal search and seizure! Turnabout is fair play!

So as you can see..140 plants...with POUNDS possible per plant..can add up to a HUGE LIABILTY for Sheriff *Andy* Taylor and ultimately, the TAXPAYERS of Pueblo County. OOPs again.

Quick Math : 140 plants..@ 1 pound (16 oz) per plant x $325 per OZ = 2240 oz. (and 1 pound per plant may not be enough weight for this equation)

2240 oz x $325 per ounce = $728,000 (yes, Seven Hundred Twenty Eight THOUSAND Dollars) Even if he's taken to trial for the OVERRAGE of plants..he may receive compensation for the LEGAL plants that were in the garden if the Master's set precedence in their case.

Somebody better reign this cowboy in.....and FAST!!!!!!!! We as CITIZENS need to start HOLDING OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS AT **ALL** TIMES.

And ya know what? Sheriff Taylor might be very wise to bone up on more than just the laws surrounding MMJ in our state because, if you all remember, not only does Colorado have Amendment 20...we also have the "Make My Day' law that can be LEGALLY used to deal with those who ILLEGAL enter our homes and threaten to harm us or our family.

Thanks for listening to my rant...

CO med Patient

victomofcircumstance
09-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Does anyone find it totally strange that NOT ONE single article about the medical marijuana bust in Beulah has appeared in the Chieftain since the original article. Hmmmm. Maybe there IS (and should be) a major lawsuit filed against the reckless Sheriffs Department. Why nothing from the Chieftain? Come on, Chieftain, you certainly had no problem putting a picture and big story on the front page. Sp Sheriff Taylor could pose as a big time law enforcement guy with a couple of piddly plants? He's an idiot.
"Does anyone find it totally Strange"??...NO.

Humiliation (perp walks) seems to be the Orders du Joir by both the Sheriff and the D.A. although Bill Thiebault denies it . . apparently based upon the idea that if we can't convict him, we'll certainly ruin his life....Or are they just being nice to the press by notifying them before they notify the suspect? ..
Being "nice to the press" has it's perks...NO "Perp walks" for those that set up a good photo op like that!!...:p In fact, as 'large' has implied, "we'll even sweep it under the rug"..

How can these people spend time and taxpayer money for this, depriving many people of their medication, when there are meth labs in the county, and lots of crime, graffiti, etc. you didn't even mention the "shootings" every week...