PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Names State Vegetable

Zen Curmudgeon
08-05-2007, 03:29 PM
And, no, it's not anyone in the state's legislature. Maybe it should be.

Watermelon Declared State Vegetable (http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=125325)
AP - 4/18/2007 12:00 PM - Updated 4/19/2007 6:37 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma already has a state fruit, so legislation given final approval by the state Senate on Tuesday declares the watermelon as the official state vegetable. The measure was introduced in the state House by Democratic Representative Joe Dorman of Rush Springs, site of an annual watermelon festival in August.ZC

large
08-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Someplace in the back of my mind tells me that a Watermelon (Quite like other Melons) is a member of the "Fruit" Family . .

Wouldn't this be akin to making a Ferret the State Bird?

But I could be wrong on both counts . . But this is timely, as I have friends (yes, I do have a few) coming from Oklahoma this week . . I'll ask . . heh, heh . .

large
08-14-2007, 07:31 AM
And I did . .

They were very proud to say that it only shows the honesty and integrity of their Legislators . . That those Legislators don't know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable, not to mention, while legislating on mundane things like this, they aren't hurting the average Oklahoma Citizen . .

And the Ferret IS the State Bird . . Be damnned . . !

Zen Curmudgeon
08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
New Jersey turns out to be the only state without a state song.

New Jersey has failed to adopt a song, despite bids to do so dating back to 1794, when then-Gov. Richard Howell wrote a song used by troops heading off to help quell the Whiskey Rebellion.

It gets worse (http://cbs3.com/local/local_story_230094817.html):

Red Mascara has a dream.

He’s been close to it. Again and again, again and again, again and again, and again.

Seven times his song, “I’m from New Jersey,” written in 1960, has been approved by legislators to become the official New Jersey song.

But it’s never made it into law, leaving New Jersey the only state without an official ditty.

Now 85, Mascara is worried his 47-year-old dream is slipping away.

State Senator Raymond Lesniak has proposed New Jersey adopt the hit Bon Jovi song, “Who Says You Can’t Go Home,” as its official song. Jon Bon Jovi is from Sayreville.I know I've been taking the pop-cultural dirt nap since , oh, say, Donna Summer's heyday, but when did lame-*** hair bands get legitimacy? C'mon, Jersey, let Mascara have a moment of glory before it's too late.

ZC