PDA

View Full Version : Rain on 7/19/2007

McGowdog
07-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Did anybody else get a little water in their basement last night?

In 7 years, this is the first time for us. Mrs. McGowdog and I did our best to keep the carpet dry, but the window well in my office filled up with about 18" of water. That water, of course came pouring over the window sill, down the wall and onto the carpet.

This ain't my first rodeo. I've managed to shop vac and use fans to dry slabs, padding and carpet before.

How do I keep all water out of our huge window wells during a 4" rain storm or what can I do to keep that water in the window well from pouring into our basement? Any thoughts?

Zen Curmudgeon
07-20-2007, 05:49 PM

In 7 years, this is the first time for us. Mrs. McGowdog and I did our best to keep the carpet dry, but the window well in my office filled up with about 18" of water. That water, of course came pouring over the window sill, down the wall and onto the carpet.

This ain't my first rodeo. I've managed to shop vac and use fans to dry slabs, padding and carpet before.

How do I keep all water out of our huge window wells during a 4" rain storm or what can I do to keep that water in the window well from pouring into our basement? Any thoughts?You could try bubble wrap curtains (http://www.kk.org/streetuse/index.php).

http://www.kk.org/streetuse/Bublelace2.jpg

large
07-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Lessee, you put large containers around below grade windows, with no drains in the bottom . .

This is not a scientific problem, it's a fifth grade test . . There's two ways to drain a bucket . . turn it over (not too practical in your case) or punch a hole in the bottom . .

If you just seal your windows . . how are you gonna get the water out of the window well? And if the window well is large enough, it just may hold enough water to cause pressure differential enough to push in the operable sash . . Then you'll really have water!

This is as far as I'll go . . After this point, I become a consultant . . .

You see, I used to do this for a living . .

BornInPueblo
07-20-2007, 11:34 PM

How do I keep all water out of our huge window wells during a 4" rain storm or what can I do to keep that water in the window well from pouring into our basement? Any thoughts?

I can see a few ways to prevent the problem. If the main problem was the way water flowed into your yard, perhaps you change the landscape somehow so that the water flows differently, that is, more away from your house. But you have to be careful not to do so in a manner that would create a problem for another property, because you could be held liable for any damages that may result from doing so.

If that is not practical, then I can think of a few other solutions:

First, as has already been suggested, you could provide a drain at the bottom. Maybe you already have them, but they have become clogged with dirt and other debris. Draining would probably have to be more than a mere hole at the bottom, but would necessarily mean piping or tubing the drain to a lower area in your yard or into a drain system. It is likely against code in Pueblo to drain such a system into your sewer line. You would either have to dig a trench from each window well to the lower area or hire someone to do it. That could be either at no cost if you are willing and able to do it yourself or somewhat expensive if you have to hire someone to do it. Then you would have to also make sure that the system does not become clogged over time by dirt and debris, as I stated earlier. You would have to periodically clean dirt, leaves, grass clippings, etc., from the window wells and run water into the drains to keep them free flowing.

Second, prevent the water from entering in the first place. Simple sand bags might accomplish that, if you want to keep them on hand and put them in place whenever flood warnings and watches are issued. Or on a more permanent basis you might build a wall just outside the perimeter of the window well higher than the window well wall is now and covering it with a clear high quality plastic removable top. I'd have to think this might be the lowest cost alternative, especially if you are a do-it-yourselfer. You will want to make sure that the cover is removable from the inside, because this is your fire escape route if you are caught downstairs in a fire.

Third, you could place a sump pump in each window well, but this solution is likely the most expensive since sump pumps are seldom cheaper than $70 and least reliable since they rely on electricity to work - something that may likely be lost in a storm causing flooding. Of course, you can provide battery backup for the sumps, but that will add further expense. If you already have a backup generator system, it might make it more practical. Of course, adding to the cost would be an electrician to provide a ground fault electrical source to each window well pump and a contractor to build a lowered sump pump well below the bottom of each window well.

Of course, you could just opt for the old rope and bucket solution if you don't mind getting wet, jeopardizing your life from lightning, and probably fighting a losing battle in the bargain. And, finally, you could eliminate the window wells, concrete in the foundation where the windows are now, and frame and drywall them as part of the interior walls - a solution that would also eliminate an escape route from a fire.

I've run plum out of ideas, I'm sure there may be more. . .

BornInPueblo
07-21-2007, 12:11 AM
You could try bubble wrap curtains.

Gotta think you are ingenious and can find a humorous solution for almost any problem.

BornInPueblo
07-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Lessee, you put large containers around below grade windows, with no drains in the bottom . .

This is not a scientific problem, it's a fifth grade test . . There's two ways to drain a bucket . . turn it over (not too practical in your case) or punch a hole in the bottom . .

If you just seal your windows . . how are you gonna get the water out of the window well? And if the window well is large enough, it just may hold enough water to cause pressure differential enough to push in the operable sash . . Then you'll really have water!

This is as far as I'll go . . After this point, I become a consultant . . .

You see, I used to do this for a living . .

Besides always being a cynical, conceited, self centered know-it-all, do you have any redeeming value. Wait, I already know the answer. NO. But there is more . . . I can add to that, if I may, you can jump to conclusions, make assumptions, and dismiss anything of value said or even asked by anyone else. Being of such high bred stock as you are and such an expert on any subject A to Z, we should have to bow down and hold you only in reverance, your "holy highness." Ranting and raving and delivering demeaning remarks are your stock and trade. I'm convinced that you are proud and feel rewarded by making such comments.

large
07-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Look dipstick, I have held a "B" contractor's license up to my retirement and prior to that spent more than a couple of years in Architectural design . . and yes, I may be cynical, but my bet is I've left more "Tracks" in my community than you, even though you assume to know a little about little . .

This is about the third time here you interjected your baseless opinions while either professing or showing outright that you knew next to nothing about the subject being discussed . . and after stating that you had little qualification, either argued the subject or began nitpicking definitions and grammar . .

And . . while it may come as shock to you, I have a relatively wide breadth of knowledge, and have worked as a professional in several completely different disclipines . . From designer, to teacher . . with many other opportunities to learn in between in a 50 year span, and currently I'm a successful Artist . .

While You might not have noticed, there are subjects I don't get involved in . . Child rearing, Religious discussions, to mention just a few . . other than interject a cynical or (at least to me) humorous comment when the discussion becomes less than intelligent . . Also, I make few assumptions, and generally try to find facts to reinforce my stated opinion before I interject it . . As far as political opinions, I definitely am a cynic . . but also a student of history, which proves, if nothing else, we are doomed to repeat it . .

As far as demeaning statements, if you ask for one, you'll get it. If not from me, someone else, gladly, will provide it . . In other words, come up here with your foot in your mouth, someone will tell you about it . . probably in great detail . .

Bowing or anything like that, it's not required . . just provide a basis for any argument you would interject into a discussion . . picking apart an opinion by making detailed corrections of spelling, definition differences and context is not part of a debate strategy . . and the only debates remembered are those that contain statements like "I knew John Kennedy, Sir, and YOU are no John Kennedy!" . . Cynical perhaps, but to the point . .

Anything beyond this is simple . . I am very easy to find in Pueblo. The name I use here is my "Nom de Plume" and I've lived here most of the time for over 40 years . . I hide from no one . .

As for McGowdog's problems, he should have bought a house with a perimeter drain and window well drains into it, either daylighting it at the low point of his property or into a local storm sewer . . A very expensive solution once backfill and landscaping has been completed . . But this is only a basic solution, as I or you have no actual idea of the current drainage or flow pattern on his property . . One could post a book on solutions and might not come close to an individual solution . . This is what Contractors and Landscaping Design people do . . But I can offer professional opinion or advice on this subject, while you can only guess . .

Again, your knowledge of this subject is only (apparently) that water runs downhill . .

BornInPueblo
07-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Look dipstick, I have held a "B" contractor's license up to my retirement and prior to that spent more than a couple of years in Architectural design . . and yes, I may be cynical, but my bet is I've left more "Tracks" in my community than you, even though you assume to know a little about little . .

This is about the third time here you interjected your baseless opinions while either professing or showing outright that you knew next to nothing about the subject being discussed . . and after stating that you had little qualification, either argued the subject or began nitpicking definitions and grammar . .

And . . while it may come as shock to you, I have a relatively wide breadth of knowledge, and have worked as a professional in several completely different disclipines . . From designer, to teacher . . with many other opportunities to learn in between in a 50 year span, and currently I'm a successful Artist . .

While You might not have noticed, there are subjects I don't get involved in . . Child rearing, Religious discussions, to mention just a few . . other than interject a cynical or (at least to me) humorous comment when the discussion becomes less than intelligent . . Also, I make few assumptions, and generally try to find facts to reinforce my stated opinion before I interject it . . As far as political opinions, I definitely am a cynic . . but also a student of history, which proves, if nothing else, we are doomed to repeat it . .

As far as demeaning statements, if you ask for one, you'll get it. If not from me, someone else, gladly, will provide it . . In other words, come up here with your foot in your mouth, someone will tell you about it . . probably in great detail . .

Bowing or anything like that, it's not required . . just provide a basis for any argument you would interject into a discussion . . picking apart an opinion by making detailed corrections of spelling, definition differences and context is not part of a debate strategy . . and the only debates remembered are those that contain statements like "I knew John Kennedy, Sir, and YOU are no John Kennedy!" . . Cynical perhaps, but to the point . .

Anything beyond this is simple . . I am very easy to find in Pueblo. The name I use here is my "Nom de Plume" and I've lived here most of the time for over 40 years . . I hide from no one . .

As for McGowdog's problems, he should have bought a house with a perimeter drain and window well drains into it, either daylighting it at the low point of his property or into a local storm sewer . . A very expensive solution once backfill and landscaping has been completed . . But this is only a basic solution, as I or you have no actual idea of the current drainage or flow pattern on his property . . One could post a book on solutions and might not come close to an individual solution . . This is what Contractors and Landscaping Design people do . . But I can offer professional opinion or advice on this subject, while you can only guess . .

Again, your knowledge of this subject is only (apparently) that water runs downhill . .

Actually, everything I said about you is true, whatever your qualifications or achievements have been. I have no idea what the significance is of leaving ďtracksĒ means, but I guess it must mean something to you.

It is you who assumes that I know little about little, not me. You only base that statement on my own statement that I donít know much about the current Pueblo DA in a previous thread and would not comment directly about that subject, even if I am familiar with Colorado Statutes and the duties of a District Attorney, and the way the federal and state systems integrate with each other. In this thread the original poster asked for help in solving his problems, and I merely offered my thoughts on the subject while never claiming to be an expert on it. You can clearly fault me on not being an expert on something I never claimed to be an expert. The fact is that you made light and fun of the person whose predicament began this thread, thinking you were being clever in doing so. So, even as you readily admit that you are cynical, you admit to also demeaning others. Saying you were demeaning never referred to anything you have said to me, but is my interpretation of how you responded to many people posting here.

And then we have conceit, a term that conveys oneís appreciation of their own worth above that of another personís worth. Does that in any way sound familiar to the words you post here? Self centered behavior is readily apparent in your defensive statements that you are currently a successful Artist. Does that make you some kind of important person to pay more attention and have more respect toward? You ainít no Picasso, and even if Picasso was an important artist, it doesnít make his opinions more important than anyone elseís, let alone some minor artist in Pueblo, Colorado.

Shock and awe aside, your many diverse life experiences still do not make you an expert on anything, even if you did all those things. I once worked at a McDonaldís, but Iím no expert on making french fries or hamburgers (although I can make a really tasty and improved version of both), and I once worked at a shelving company in Illinois, but Iím no expert on making book shelves, and I once worked for the Colorado State Hospital in Pueblo although Iím no expert on mental health patients, and I once worked for the International Harvester Corporation truck division, although Iím no expert on trucking, and I was a U. S. Naval Supply Corps officer during the Viet Nam war, serving much of my time in WestPac off the coast of Viet Nam and some of it near North Korea, although Iím not an expert in naval operations or the war in Viet Nam or the conflict in Korea. I do know more and am an expert on the jobs I experienced over the longer part of my career and 60 year lifespan with the Department of Corrections.

So as I go through your post, I find that you have simply stated what you could have stated in the first place: ďAs for McGowdog's problems, he should have bought a house with a perimeter drain and window well drains into it, either daylighting it at the low point of his property or into a local storm sewer.Ē Yep, indeed, we all know that water flows downhill, but only you can make it seem like a statement from an idiot.

large
07-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Apparently you assume to be much more knowledgeable and conceited about your knowledge . . and apparently also think little of your own home town . . I'll have to assume you don't reside here in the city you say you were born in . . and know little about it or much else . . other than to criticize one who might . .

End of conversation . . I won't stoop to quibble with an idiot!

If you have a problem with any of this, look me up . .

McGowdog
07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Quote from Large:
"Look dipstick, I have held a "B" contractor's license up to my retirement and prior to that spent more than a couple of years in Architectural design . . and yes, I may be cynical, but my bet is I've left more "Tracks" in my community than you, even though you assume to know a little about little . .

Again, your knowledge of this subject is only (apparently) that water runs downhill . ."

Actually, everything I said about you is true, whatever your qualifications or achievements have been. I have no idea what the significance is of leaving ďtracksĒ means, but I guess it must mean something to you.

It is you who assumes that I know little about little, not me. You only base that statement on my own statement that I donít know much about the current Pueblo DA in a previous thread and would not comment directly about that subject, even if I am familiar with Colorado Statutes and the duties of a District Attorney, and the way the federal and state systems integrate with each other. In this thread the original poster asked for help in solving his problems, and I merely offered my thoughts on the subject while never claiming to be an expert on it. You can clearly fault me on not being an expert on something I never claimed to be an expert. The fact is that you made light and fun of the person whose predicament began this thread, thinking you were being clever in doing so. So, even as you readily admit that you are cynical, you admit to also demeaning others. Saying you were demeaning never referred to anything you have said to me, but is my interpretation of how you responded to many people posting here.

And then we have conceit, a term that conveys oneís appreciation of their own worth above that of another personís worth. Does that in any way sound familiar to the words you post here? Self centered behavior is readily apparent in your defensive statements that you are currently a successful Artist. Does that make you some kind of important person to pay more attention and have more respect toward? You ainít no Picasso, and even if Picasso was an important artist, it doesnít make his opinions more important than anyone elseís, let alone some minor artist in Pueblo, Colorado.

Shock and awe aside, your many diverse life experiences still do not make you an expert on anything, even if you did all those things. I once worked at a McDonaldís, but Iím no expert on making french fries or hamburgers (although I can make a really tasty and improved version of both), and I once worked at a shelving company in Illinois, but Iím no expert on making book shelves, and I once worked for the Colorado State Hospital in Pueblo although Iím no expert on mental health patients, and I once worked for the International Harvester Corporation truck division, although Iím no expert on trucking, and I was a U. S. Naval Supply Corps officer during the Viet Nam war, serving much of my time in WestPac off the coast of Viet Nam and some of it near North Korea, although Iím not an expert in naval operations or the war in Viet Nam or the conflict in Korea. I do know more and am an expert on the jobs I experienced over the longer part of my career and 60 year lifespan with the Department of Corrections.

So as I go through your post, I find that you have simply stated what you could have stated in the first place: ďAs for McGowdog's problems, he should have bought a house with a perimeter drain and window well drains into it, either daylighting it at the low point of his property or into a local storm sewer.Ē Yep, indeed, we all know that water flows downhill, but only you can make it seem like a statement from an idiot.

Bah ha ha! Can I add this to the joke forum? This is good stuff!

I posted this in another forum:

"Since I have a finished basement WITH padded carpet I guess I need four sump pumps; one for each window well. Then I'll have to wait another 7 years before this happens again!

I've got a guy coming in today to use structural fill or back fill to get that negative drainage back. The northeast corner of the house is where it kind of settled and it's near the window well that filled up with water. Those bubbles or window well covers have nothing to do with what filled up our wells. Water came shooting in to them from about 3 or 4 feet below grade.

I also got that poly 4" pipe to hook up to the downspouts. I've got two of them draining onto my lawn. I should have thought of this before. Some people use these and bury right into the ground, but they must drain somewhere. Maybe into the Frech drain or a perimeter drain or something. I assume that whatever you do with these, they just need to slope away from the foundation. The ones I got are 10' long. It seems like they should do the job."

Thanks all for the attention to my post and the humor!

large
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
In your case, sump pumps in a window well, nor even in the basement will solve the problem . . first and foremost, it's always best to drain any and all flowing water away from the building . . in your case, and normally in like situations water flowing downhill follows the path of least resistance, and followed the vertical concrete to the bottom, where eight inches horizontal was an opening . . The little gap between the inner wall and the floor slab . . Instant water! Without effective french perimeter drains, this will happen each time you have a frogstrangler . . Unless . . again, as you have wisely noted, your first task will be to redirect the flow away from the house and foundation . . also, usually the cheapest . . as well as bring in a few tons of select fill and recompact and grade the settled soil at the low point you mentioned . .

Out where you live, the topsoil, unless imported, is all adobe, with the absorbency of slightly porous asphalt . . so the run off is excessive even in a short downpour. And one must watch that they don't just "Overburden the Adobe with another easier eroded soil . . roadbase is one, as is a lot of topsoil mixes used here . . once a down pour starts running through the top down to the adobe, you'll need to go downstream and recover it . . or bring in more . .

If you have much slope, such as a fall great enough to provide a "Walk Out Basement" . . it's usually better to install perimeter and general drainage systems . . expensive in the short run, but in the long run, as you get older, pumping and cleaning loses it's charm . . Usta do a ton of 'em out there . .

McGowdog
07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Foxtrot. Our landscape people suggested structural fill. Uniform. Having a finished basement (The Man Cave) seems over-rated. Charlie. We don't have too much grade; hopefully we can build it up just enough and do some creative landscaping around the perimeter to help. Maybe I'll develop some special foam that absorbs water. My luck, it would expand and break out the window. Kilo.

sweet_chin_music
08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Luckily for us, the previous owners of our home didn't just move in and live. They actually thought about things like drainage when they built the house. All of our downspouts go under ground 20 feet from the house with the use of solid pipe, then they get another 8 feet or so of leach pipe to drain them under the lawn. Our window wells are four foot deep and would be prone to gathering water, but they have a drain under them that runs to our sump pump. Not exactly sure how deep the drainage well is for that, but I'm guessing 50 gallons. I know with that huge rain we got earlier this year, it only kicked on once. I usually turn it on after a decent rain just to make sure it's clear of water.

I'd advise any homeowner that has downspouts currently open to rent a trencher, dig out a 25 foot long trench and lay down the solid pipe and leach pipe. I remember seeing a 5 gallon bucket become full from the downspout in a hard rain within 3 minutes.