PDA

View Full Version : Pueblo Dist 60 Reform

edlyell
06-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Every parent and taxpayer should be vocally supporting the dramatic reforms being advocated by Superintendent John Covington and urged by the Chieftain editorial today, Sunday.

In visiting schools in over 20 countries it became apparent to me in the 1980's that America was in dire trouble if we were to stay competitive in an increasingly global economy unless our children were better educated in every category. That experience drove me to get on the Colorado State Board of Education, and later the Community College Board.

I have not met Mr. Covington yet I have read the draft strategic plan, worked on national efforts for school improvement and see how clearly the new plan for District 60 is likely to help Pueblo's children and economy. All day learning, not necessarily all day classroom, is a key to engaging and expanding the minds of our children. Learning all year, all of the time, in books, computers and play will be embraced by children of all ages.

We are born as God given learning machines. Look at how quickly babies learn, two year olds keep asking 'why', try everything and learning is fun. It is time for the adults to encourage and enable children to stay active learners for life. Do not continue our past decades of shutting down the natural curiosity of that child asking why by saying 'because, shut up', as so many parents and yes, teachers, do out of frustration with not having enough learning activities ready for that child.

masonranch
06-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Every parent and taxpayer should be vocally supporting the dramatic reforms being advocated by Superintendent John Covington and urged by the Chieftain editorial today, Sunday.

In visiting schools in over 20 countries it became apparent to me in the 1980's that America was in dire trouble if we were to stay competitive in an increasingly global economy unless our children were better educated in every category.

Superintnedent Covington, I'm sure, means well, but is doomed to failure! Without competition, hard choices, even though correct, aren't taken. Excuses like the treacher's union, state laws (Encrusted Bureaucracy) enacted by union lobbyist, just plain featherbedding and stonewalling are used. Selection of really competent Teachers by firing the dead wood is likewise hampered. Even technical involvement of the community is blocked.

With competition, Mr. Covington would find his program had better work or he and his cohorts will be out of job as a competitor will have achieved only what he dreams and his students (customers) opted for that better result. Survival is one of the most base needs. Capitalism is a wonderful motivator. It's time we see it in our education system in the form of vouchers, Vision (enhanced home schooling), charter schools and other choices for parents and students.

It's not that teachers and administrators don't know what to do. It is the "SYSTEM" that stifles and kills initiative and motivation. The SYSTEM needs to change by allowing Parents school choice. Then and only then, will we be able to compete in an increasingly technical Global economy. Right now any advantage the United States has is quickly disappearing or already has disappeared.