PDA

View Full Version : Part Human Part Goat

Zombiewire
04-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Need a liver?
Raise a sheep
Organ growing in animals raises ethical concerns

http://video.msn.com/video/p.htm?m=News%20-%20Weather&mi=NBC%20News&i=faa48aeb-7a2b-4564-9ea7-da804ef963a8,e7605e4a-9dca-42c8-b06c-97d2597b61df,460e92fc-0d1f-4a26-9d5f-ed4535b138ae&p=hotVideo_topNews&GT1=6365&rf=http://www.msn.com/

large
04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Beats no liver at all! . . . . . .

Zen Curmudgeon
04-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Need a liver?
Raise a sheep
Organ growing in animals raises ethical concernsWhy is it that new bioscience techniques seem to trigger "ethical concerns"? The technology used in this process is extremely exciting and may offer cures for some of the most terrifying diseases we know.

It's nowhere near cloning a person, which we don't know how to do anyway, and quite similar in concept to in vitro fertilization, an acceptable intervention.

BTW - MSN requires installation of a video program my Firefox browser can't use. You may want to find another source.

Take Care

ZC

Zen Curmudgeon
04-26-2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20050425-17024500-bc-polisci-cloning.xml

Rep. Mary Bono, R-Calif., plans to offer legislation that would, like three other cloning bills already before the House and Senate, explicitly ban cloning intended to produce a child.

Bono's legislation, however -- and bill S. 876 by Sen. Orin Hatch, R-Utah -- would protect research that uses human cells developed through somatic cell nuclear transfer.

SCNT is a form of cloning that involves removing the DNA from an adult human egg cell and replacing it with the DNA from another person. The technique causes the resulting cell to de-differentiate, or regress to an earlier state, from which it can become nearly any cell in the body.

Scientists think such cells, a type of stem cell, someday could be used to repair severed spinal cords by literally bridging the damage with new cells. They could also be used to treat diabetes, Alzheimer's disease and a host of other disorders that require cellular repair, and they can help researchers learn how diseases develop in the first place.

I don't have a problem with avoiding the immediate presence of a true clone. As a species we need a generation or three to figure out what we might think about any new choice we might devise.

What needs to happen, in the best possible way, is a serious discussion concerning the definition of "human" or "intelligent" life. One definition concerns us, you and me, only. The other predicts how to see ourselves in the future.

I'm not optimistic about the potential for such discussions to achieve consensus: too many emotions at too high a temperature.

I'll be away for a while, talk to y'all later.

Take Care -

ZC

large
04-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Didja ever wonder . . when God was creating all these things (according to some) and he touched the human and gave him "Self Determination" so he could probably go off and do some of the other Godly things I suppose he does, without having to watch over his "Flock" quite so closely.

And in the process, we, through his grace have become able to understand what makes us "Tick" . . . so who's to say it hasn't been without his help, that we have gained the ability to clone cells and organisms, as well as organs?

Maybe God wants us to do this . . suppose?

And don't start flinging scripture at me, I don't even lower myself to arguments over that!

Zombiewire
04-28-2005, 06:23 AM
DaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaD Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You should watch the news segment. The scientist says he hasn't heard the sheep talk back yet. Can you imagine if a sheep turns out talking. Or even having a human face.

large
04-28-2005, 07:10 AM
OK, now I'm gonna risk censure . . . BUT . .

IF that was even possible, it would have happened already in Montana . . to the offspring of the "Cutest" sheep in th' flock!

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheh . . . . . . .

HockeyMonkey
04-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh large, that was baaaaaaaad! ;)

Zombiewire
04-29-2005, 10:28 PM
RENO, Nev. - On a farm about six miles outside this gambling town, Jason Chamberlain looks over a flock of about 50 smelly sheep, many of them possessing partially human livers, hearts, brains and other organs.

The University of Nevada-Reno researcher talks matter-of-factly about his plans to euthanize one of the pregnant sheep in a nearby lab. He can't wait to examine the effects of the human cells he had injected into the fetus' brain about two months ago.

"It's mice on a large scale," Chamberlain says with a shrug.

As strange as his work may sound, it falls firmly within the new ethics guidelines the influential National Academies issued this past week for stem cell research.
http://chimeras.blog-city.com/