PDA

View Full Version : Long, Hot Summer at the South pole

Zen Curmudgeon
04-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Study Shows Glaciers Shrinking Quickly

BAS Glaciologist, Dr David Vaughan is a co-author of the paper. He said, "These glacier retreat patterns combined with dramatic ice shelf break-ups leave us in no doubt that the Antarctic Peninsula ice sheet is extremely sensitive to recent warming. What we still need to determine is whether or not the warming in this area has its roots in human-influenced global warming.

http://www.physorg.com/news3830.html

President Bush may be correct, that the "the jury is still out" on global warming, but the evidence does seem to be piling up.

What this might do to sea levels remains to be seen, but I think I'll start looking for levee and dike construction companies to invest in. ;)

Take Care -

ZC

large
04-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Damn, the Human is Important . . especially in this part of the galaxy . .

First somebody said we are the "IMAGE of OUR GOD!" . . . gosh, that's dissapointing . . .

And now WE are causing Global Warming . . All By Ourselves! . . We probably do have something to do with it, what with some of our more religious leaders telling the unwashed, uneducated, but Faithful to "Go Forth . . Make babies!" in many of the Third World Countries . . and they do . . and the country remains a third world country because of overpopulation . . . Why yes, man is Cutting and Burning and Paving as fast as he breeds . . killing the wonderful Rain Forests, to eke out 2 years of farming and then leave the open area to junk vegetation . . . Smart folks there . . the Church is still teaching them how to fish, when they really ought to be teaching them how to farm and to either quit having sex all the time or how to prevent all those little mouths that you can't feed!

When they do that, I'll cut up my SUV AND my Street Rod!

And while I'm on this rant, I might as well conclude . . since about 750 AD we've been experiencing a "Mini Ice Age", and it's decline . . go read yer geology books . . and early North European history . . it Coincides . . and our little spaceship is warming back up from that little anamoly, also . . Antartica has been just a pile of rocks several times in recent history, and prior to the big continental shift, it were a "Tropical Paradise". . . . "Yer kiddin!" . . "Nahhh, really?" . . "it's the honest truth" . . "all ya gotta do is quit reading comics and watchin' TV and you'll learn all this stuff".

Chuckie
04-27-2005, 06:58 AM
You forgot one little tidbit in your 'rant'. Scientists have determined that in one eruption Mt St Helens churned out more greenhouse gasses than the entire industrial age. Now, go add up all the volcanic eruptions that have occured around the world for the past 100 years. (or more if you care to) How much greenhouse gas would have been emitted? It's incomprehensable.

But the environmentalists still want to hold the human race responsible. I guess their attitude is "don't confuse me with facts when my mind is made up"

large
04-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks Chuckie . . . They are kind of major players in the scheme of things, aren't they?

Scientists (those pesky troublemakers) tend to believe our little planet "wobbles" . . thus, the little "Variances" in our earthly climates . . . .

MoralCompass
04-27-2005, 11:05 PM
You are all correct (IMHO) that mankind is only part of the cause of global climate change, and there is substantial evidence that the eruption of Mt. Tobo about 10, 000 years ago killed off so many humans that the gene pool is reflective of that eruptuon through analysis of midochondrial DNA. As it turns out, that DNA evolves at a precise rate from generation to generation, so scientists have been able to proove the the human gene pool had a substantial bottle-neck which coincides with Tobo's eruption.

As I understand it, the rate of change being constant should result in much more diversity in human DNA (as well as most other species) than we actually have. Geneticists concluded that something catastrphic must have happened to cause the genetic bottleneck, and because the rate of change is constant, they determined it had to have occurred 10, 000 years ago.

It was a sharp geneticist that put two and two together when he attended a lecture on Mt. Tobo's eruption just for fun, since vulcanolgy was obviously not his field.

The most recent evidence of dramatic global climate change however is not that long ago, when Mt. Tambora erupted in Indonesia in 1815 and caused so much sunlight to be BLOCKED that we didn't have global warming, we had global cooling! Thus the year of 1816 became known as "The Year Without A Summer", and the crop losses caused the worst famine in recorded history.

So, we could probably use a huge volcanic eruption to cool things off. Lucky for us, Mt. Rainer (a strato-volcano like Mt. St. Helens) is past due to erupt based on it's eruptive history. Strato volcanos tend to "explode", throwing dust and gas high into the atmosphere. The Hawiian island volcanos are called "Shield" volcanos and while they can erupt with spectacular explosions, they tend to send fountains of molton lava into the air. Actually, shield volcanos ADD to the greenhouse gasses and cause warming, while the more dangerous Strato volcanos tend to cause cooling.

Of course, none of this will matter if the largest volcano on earth erupts, that being of course, Yellowstone a so called "Super-Volcano" which is also past due for a super eruption, the last one being about 650,000 years ago. While Yellowstone has erupted in recent history, it has the potential of wiping out all of life on earth, and pile up volcanic ash 100s of feet deep as far away as Pueblo. Luckily, the recent eruptions have been mild. If it blows there will be no safe place on Earth.

So should we care about global warming? Yes, we do have a responsibility to pass along a world to our children which is as good as we humanly can. It's like asking if we should deliberately poke a deadly cobra with a stick if we aren't sure if it will bite us or not. I think to err on the side of caution is prudent with Cobra's, and our environment. And, if Yellowstone blows, then we won't have enough humans, infrastructure, or technology to make tinkers damn worth of diference one way or the other anyway.

As always, I am pouring my meta-mucil down the throat of Old Faithful in hopes that the television commercial has a good idea. -Moral Compass-

MoralCompass
04-28-2005, 12:58 PM
OOPS! Just in case anybody else didn't catch my spelling error, it is "Mitochondrial DNA" not "midochondrial". *Note to self- Pride goeth before the fall.

MC

Zen Curmudgeon
05-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Swiss put glacier under wraps to slow ice melt
10 May 2005 13:10:18 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Vincent Fribault

GEMSSTOCK, Switzerland, May 10 (Reuters) - Alarmed by the retreat of its Alpine glacier, a Swiss ski resort on Tuesday wrapped part of the shrinking ice-cap in a giant blanket in a bid to reduce the summer melt.

If successful, officials at the Gemsstock resort above Andermatt in central Switzerland expect the example to be followed elsewhere in the Alps, where scientists say glaciers are under threat from global warming.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20050317/NEWS/103170008

City hatches global warming initiative

By Janet Urquhart
March 17, 2005

Comparing Aspen's fragile climate to a canary in a miner's cage, the city unveiled a multipronged approach Wednesday to reducing its contribution to global warming.

Dubbed The Canary Initiative in reference to the old practice among miners of carrying a caged canary into mines to detect deadly gases, the plan acknowledges Aspen's particular susceptibility to climate change and the impacts of global warming on its ski resort economy.

The folks with major money at stake seem to be taking this seriously, and I wouldn't wonder that they want to preserve their cash flow.

Climatic cycles, Draysonian wobbles and volcanic gases notwithstanding, it's beginning to look a lot like smart money is buying the science and taking some steps.

Like prayer, it can't hurt and it might help.

Take Care -

ZC

Zen Curmudgeon
06-29-2005, 05:33 AM
http://www.physorg.com/news4818.html

Rising sea levels threaten nuke dump sites

Britain's only nuclear waste dump could be underwater in 500 years if sea levels keep rising.

One million cubic meters of low-level radioactive waste are stored at Drigg on the coast of Cumbria on the Irish Sea, New Scientist reports. The Environment Agency says that the waste is likely to leak if the sea rises, posing a major health threat to residents of the area.

Similar problems are likely to affect waste dumps at Rokkashomura in Japan and Lan Yu island in Taiwan, as well as the 13 nuclear reactors on the British Coast.

"Climate change is now an issue that has to be taken into account in siting new facilities," Phil Richardson, an expert on nuclear waste with Enviros Consulting, told New Scientist. "Coastal sites used to be considered a good idea, but rising sea levels are bringing this assessment into question."

Copyright 2005 by United Press International

Zen Curmudgeon
11-24-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8369&feedId=online-news_rss20

Record ice core reveals Earth's ancient atmosphere

* 19:00 24 November 2005
* NewScientist.com news service
* David L Chandler

The longest ice-core record of climate history ever obtained has hugely extended the detailed history of Earth's atmosphere, and shows that levels of greenhouse gases really do march in lockstep with changes in temperature.

The frozen record of the Earth's atmosphere is 3270 metres long and covers the last 650,000 years – 50% longer than before. It was obtained from the tiny air bubbles trapped in a deep ice core from Antarctica.

...Edward Brook, an ice-core researcher at Oregon State University, US, who was not involved in the project, told New Scientist that the good match between climate model behaviour and the ice core data "really validates" the models’ predictions of what should happen as greenhouse gas levels increase.

Take Care -

ZC

mark777
06-05-2007, 04:51 AM
yes but c02 is good for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq_Bj-av3g0&eurl=

large
06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
You forgot one little tidbit in your 'rant'. Scientists have determined that in one eruption Mt St Helens churned out more greenhouse gasses than the entire industrial age. Now, go add up all the volcanic eruptions that have occured around the world for the past 100 years. (or more if you care to) How much greenhouse gas would have been emitted? It's incomprehensable.

But the environmentalists still want to hold the human race responsible. I guess their attitude is "don't confuse me with facts when my mind is made up"

Odd that you bring that up . . Scientists are currently finding that due to there being less particulate from Volcanoes and to a much lesser degree, particulate caused or created by humans, we have less of an effect called "Planetary Dimming" or less particulate that tends to "Shade" our little sphere from the effects of the sun . . kinda like Sunscreen SPF 40 . . so currently we're at about SPF 30 or so . . and that leads to entrapment of natural gases in the upper atmosphere and the "Greenhouse Effect" . .

This was an article published yesterday on PhysOrg.com and it does point to the fact that natural occurences, or the lack of them contribute largely to the ups and downs of the planet's mean temperature. Predicting that is nearly impossible, and the overall effect that it might have is still not well understood. Opinions vary, as they do on all the other individual causes of Climate change and how/why it happens . .

I do notice that every time Al Gore speaks, the North American Continent suffers another cold spell . . One coming this week or weekend, with snow in the mountains predicted (in June?) . . So if we're gonna have "Global Warming", let's get to it . . running my air conditioner is cheaper than running the furnace . .