PDA

View Full Version : God Is My Copilot?

Zen Curmudgeon
04-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I guess some schools just can't catch a break. Today's New York Times (to read the entire article you'll need to register, but it's free).

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Academy-Religion.html?

April 20, 2005
Air Force Cadets See Religious Harassment
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 1:28 a.m. ET

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AP) -- Less than two years after it was plunged into a rape scandal, the Air Force Academy is scrambling to address complaints that evangelical Christians wield so much influence at the school that anti-Semitism and other forms of religious harassment have become pervasive.

There have been 55 complaints of religious discrimination at the academy in the past four years, including cases in which a Jewish cadet was told the Holocaust was revenge for the death of Jesus and another was called a Christ killer by a fellow cadet. >>snip<<

Take Care -

ZC

large
04-21-2005, 07:19 AM
This is one of those deals . . same discussion different title up on another forum . . It was asked, why do so many in the world dislike Christians and Christianity . . .

Neil Diamond sang a song, "Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show". . . . . .

Didja ever see a "Jewish" Evangelist? or a "Buddhist" Evangelist? Never had a Muslim knock on my door on Saturday morning and tell me I was going to hell at least 3 ways if I didn't convert to Islam.

But I've tolerated Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons, Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and even a couple of Episcapaliens . . . every damned one was a Christian . . trying to tell me that I'm not Christian enough unless I attend their church (and put money in their plate!)

And as the Random Shuffle in the iTunes brings up the song above, (No Kidding) I'd have to say about the Evangelists and their Churches (and their church owned businesses) . . . . . IF Jesus Christ had've stayed put in his grave . . He'd be spinning in it today . . . .

And then the next song is "Friends in low places" . . 'Spose this 'puter is trying to tell me something?

Steve M
05-04-2005, 02:07 PM
I was in the Navy first, and then later the Coast Guard, and both of these branches of service had the clampdown on religious proselytizing. It just simply did not happen unless you were on base.

Hmm... that doesn't make much sense. Let me explain: On your ship; at your job; on your duty station, you never had to worry about religious zealots. People were mostly zip-lipped about religion, and when discussions did happen, they were more like a casual debate than a predator/prey proselytizing situation.

However, if you ventured off the ship and onto base, in the exchange restaurants, or in the McDonald's on base or the USO you were fair game. Heck, I was even randomly stopped by a car full of evangelists and preached at once. However, no one ever threatened my career, nor was I ever informed that conversion to religion was a condition of future employment.

large
05-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Kinda like you said, y'know, you never see any scandal about the other Military Academies, West Point, Annapolis, the others . . .

Sex scandals, grade scandals, and now . . Christian "Born Again" Zealots seem to be creating more problems up there . . . The place is a magnet for goofy stuff, Hmmm?

Could it be that they're up on th' North side of the Springs, where the Evangelists are on 12 inch centers, saving even the lowly homosexual and converting them into Vegetarians (or whatever) while being visited by the weird reverend from Kansas who hates "Fags" and says so frequently, along with all his "Cousins" or whoever comes with him. Could've rubbed off y'know!

I'm beginning to believe that a toll road may be necessary, just to bypass that part of the City, in case it might be like a communicable disease. Can you imagine, just driving up I-25 and suddenly getting a fever and a physical need to dunk somebody in a Baptismal pond!

Would an Anti-biotic help you get over it?

Zen Curmudgeon
05-13-2005, 09:23 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/12/AR2005051201740_pf.html

Air Force Removes Chaplain From Post
Officer Decried Evangelicals' Influence

By T.R. Reid
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 13, 2005; A04

DENVER, May 12 -- An Air Force chaplain who complained that evangelical Christians were trying to "subvert the system" by winning converts among cadets at the Air Force Academy was removed from administrative duties last week, just as the Pentagon began an in-depth study of alleged religious intolerance among cadets and commanders at the school.

"They fired me," said Capt. MeLinda Morton, a Lutheran minister who was removed as executive officer of the chaplain unit on May 4. "They said I should be angry about these outside groups who reported on the strident evangelicalism at the academy. The problem is, I agreed with those reports."

A high ranking Academy officer with first hand knowledge of the situation gets the ax and is shipped off early to her next duty assignment - in Okinawa, Japan. Despite the skepticism of some commentators, it does appear that the Citizens United for the Separation of Church and State report that triggered this whole unpleasantness has credibility.

The Pentagon investigators are at the acdemy this week. What's next, I wonder?

Take Care -

ZC

Zen Curmudgeon
05-24-2005, 05:13 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/24/politics/24academy.html?th&emc=th

May 24, 2005
Inquiry Into Dismissal of an Air Force Chaplain
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN

"The Department of Defense inspector general's office is looking into accusations that a chaplain at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs was dismissed from her administrative job and given orders to transfer to a base in Japan because she had criticized the religious proselytizing of academy cadets.

An Air Force spokeswoman said Monday that the service had asked the inspector general to investigate the case of the chaplain, Capt. MeLinda Morton, who went public this month with her criticisms of the religious climate at the academy."

Zen Curmudgeon
05-27-2005, 07:20 AM
A reinforcement of Air Force policy regarding religious tolerance has prompted a mysterious response from Focus on the Family. A directive from the top brass has been issued reminding commanders to avoid imposing personal beliefs on subordinates. A review of the discrimination allegations has been completed and the report is expected to be released in a few weeks.

This current fuss started over a year ago when a Yale Divinity School study identified a bias favoring evangelical Christians, followed by a similar report from the Reverend Barry Lynn and his Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Most recently, Lutheran chaplain MeLinda Morton, former executive officer of the Academy's chaplain corps, repeated concerns about the Acaademy's apparent emphasis on evangelical Chrsitianity over other religions.

And now in today's print edition of the Denver Post, Focus on the Family contributes this:

Tom Minnery, vice president of public policy for the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family, said, "I hope that our congressional delegation in Colorado begins to speak up and defend the military, which is apparently unable to defend itself against this frontal attack by the hard core secular left".

While I certainly can't speak to the political leanings of the Yale Divinity School, the Reverend Lynn or Captain Morton, I have to wonder if Mr. Minnery really meant "secular". Hasn't most of the criticism to date been from religious professionals?

Take care -

ZC