Thread: the 2013 School Grades are in...

Default the 2013 School Grades are in...

Y'all probably saw this in the paper today.

D-60 schools faring even worse this year than last year.

D-70 schools did better, but they maintain a c average. Even so, what's the difference between D-60's approach and D-70's? What are they doing differently? Is it more money? Better leadership?

Thoughts?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Dunno . . But they're still whining about losing the Tax proposal in the last election . . And they're still "experimenting" on different syllabuses in the different schools, so that might have something to do with it. Apparently they can't set on a standard that doesn't "Teach to the test" which is probably where they ought to start. After all, if you don't test after teaching, you have no idea of what the subject has learned, or if they have . . .

And that brings a question to mind . .

What do they mean when they object to "Teaching to the Test"? You have to set an objective end to your syllabus or plan and that, of course would be to test the students on what you have presented, not some abstract opinion on the same . . Back when I was a kid, the "Achievement Test" was given to ascertain what you had learned generally during the last semester of school. And, for the most part, seemed to work pretty well in figuring out who learned what and how much . . Apparently that isn't what we do now . . . And perhaps we might need to go back to that in the future . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Have you ever heard of Salman Khan? He is the founder of Khan Academy.

He has written a book called The One World Schoolhous - which is INCREDIBLE! He has some really good ideas in there - and don't let the title fool you, it's not about a one world government ruled school system or anything. In fact he talks about the history of public education in there and lays out some ideas for bettering our students' learning performance.

Many of his ideas are based on mastering subjects as opposed to general classroom training. He really doesn't seem too impressed with today's schooling, which is based, he says, on Prussian standards - which was intended to keep laborers laboring and that's about it.

Anyway some of his innovative ideas include better use of classroom time - and testing.

I'd love to see some of his ideas implemented in D60.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

I'll have to get it and read it . . Thanx for the heads up . . .

Looks like D60 is in danger of losing its accreditation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben X View Post
    Looks like D60 is in danger of losing its accreditation.
    Heh, heh . . That's been coming down the pike for at least 10 years . . Looks like doomsday may be near . .

But then, someone or something will pop up and save the day for them somehow, enabling them to continue to fail 25%of their students . . And say . . "That's not Bad" . .

Oh, don't get me started on this one... I'm FUMING! F U M I N G! I can't believe the crap they sent home with my 3rd grader - I'm totally pissed off. If they lose their accreditation, it's well deserved.

Wishful thinking M'dear . . When you're the only show in town, they'll shake their fingers at the district, maybe even whack 'em on th' Knuckles with a ruler, but in the end, the ole Teacher's Union will win out and we'll just keep on keepin' on and bitching about it up here . .

And as of yesterday, the State Legislature opened up the Vaults again . . let's see if another transfusion of "Mo Money" will change anything . .

I'd bet that it won't . . .