Thread: The Pueblo County Sheriff and His Jail

Pueblo, Colorado

Default The Pueblo County Sheriff and His Jail

This morning's Chieftain has a banner headline stating that "COUNTY REAPS BENEFITS OF DOING TIME" and goes on to tell us that the Jail makes a profit, not only from it's operaton of a "commisary" that sells the inmates their needs at a generous profit (as well as "Hot meals") but from the money that the inmates have to have "On the Book" to purchase those "needs" . .

One would tend to believe that money for the imates would be "Chump Change" but apparently it's big money instead . . Totaling "More than $349,000" which was divvied up by giving the County's General Fund $106,000 and keeping the rest for the "facilities department" to "Upgrade dishwashers, Washers and Dryers in the jail.

Yet . . just about anybody that's been in the County Jail or is a Defense Lawyer for those who have spent time there will tell you that the building needs major maintenance and to quote one Defense Lawyer familiar with the Jail, "It's falling down around itself" because of lack of maintenance.

If the S.O. has that much money on hand, and has cells with water on the floors from leaking pipes, air blowing in around the windows and other defiencies that make it less than safe and clean for the inmates, then the Sheriff and his operation needs to be audited.

Or . . It might be time for a new "Sheriff in Town" . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

That's an interesting point, Large. I wonder whether the Chieftain has anyone who can do some investigative reporting on that.

I wouldn't mind knowing a little more, myself - I wonder what the "deal" is on that.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.