Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

Default Explosions at the Boston Marathon

By now you've probably heard the news and seen the gruesome pictures - blood splattered everywhere! I won't bother to post the pictures here.

I guess there were a couple of explosions at or near the finish line.

I'm troubled by this - especially since my own daughter has been training to run a marathon. Kind of scary.

Why, the heck, would someone want to bomb a marathon?! I just don't get it - this madness has to stop!

Bet it won't be long before the conspiracy theorists are blaming the government - esp since today is tax day...
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Perhaps those "Immigrants' have become terrorists?

The new paradigm of world war is being waged everywhere else, why should the USA be exempt?

I'm sure this is just the beginning . .

Homeland Security is really working well, hmmmm?
    Last edited by large; 04-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Seems there are multiple bombs where some did not explode for unknown reasons. The bombs that did explode were near the VIP seating I just heard on 850 KOA.

More to follow of course.

Default Prediction

I have no idea who did this, but let me make a prediction it was an Islamic Terrorist group. And DHS's 2 Billion bullets, 7,000 machine guns and 2,717 Armored personnel carriers had absolutely nothing to do with preventing this or finding out who did do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet not. Why is it that every time an extremist group commits and atrocity politicians use it as an excuse to take away freedom and liberty of the law abiding majority when the perpetrators are not bound by the law. It is sickening.
    The difference between a welfare state and a totalitarian state is a matter of time - Ayn Rand

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”- Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by masonranch View Post
    Why is it that every time an extremist group commits and atrocity politicians use it as an excuse to take away freedom and liberty of the law abiding majority when the perpetrators are not bound by the law. It is sickening.
    Because those dumbasses feel that they must do SOMETHING. And taking freedom(s) from the populace is easier than getting to the root of the problem(s). Just like the Gun Control issue where we have outlawed a particular type of rifle that has so little to do with the daily violence on the street that it's pathetic, or passed all kinds of laws to "protect" children from predators . .

They don't work because they don't solve the root problems. The social phenomenon of "Political Correctness", "Diversity" and the failure to address mental health problems within this society create most of the problems we see today. And in our society, we cannot pre-suppose guilt or intention. Our Laws are "Reactive", wherein we cannot arrest you for what you're thinking, but must arrest you, charge you and try you, after the fact . .

But, the current government is not only turning inward in it's citizens, it's beginning to attempt to arrest it's citizens for what they're thinking (and saying) so freedom from tyranny is a lot closer than it was the day before September 11, 2001 . . and far closer since Nov 5th, 2008 . . .

My curiosity about the Boston deal is that no one has called and taken responsibility for the bombs or the bombing . . That is the usual script for any particular group of terrorists, from Ted Kazinsky, the Weather Underground, or al Quaeda . .

The other comment is reserved, again, for the Authorities and their excellent tunnel vision. Now "Marathons aren't safe!" . . WTF, large gatherings of people anyplace are or would be targets . . It's not about the event, it's about the profile and the numbers that can be killed and injured, and combined with the fact that there's a TV or Video Camera every ten feet at these events, the exposure is great . . the next could be a large crowd at another sporting event, or something at Times Square at 0900. Anyplace there's a large crowd of people and almost instant TV coverage could be a target for terrorists who want to create fear in the average American.

As far as the act itself, one guy was the triggerman, I think. Dunno how many were involved with the building and planting of the bombs in the trash cans, but the time between blasts and the fact that the two other bombs were found and disarmed indicate a cell phone trigger and apparently the triggerman had to dial each bomb number rather than just one to get a simultaneous blast, so he didn't get the last two off. This is nothing more than a guess based on the fact that the blasts were about 8-10 seconds apart and two either didn't go off or were never triggered. My bet is the latter . .

But at this point, it's all conjecture. When the Bomber(s) come forward and make their claim and put forward their agenda(s) then we'll know more . .

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    The other comment is reserved, again, for the Authorities and their excellent tunnel vision. Now "Marathons aren't safe!" . . WTF, large gatherings of people anyplace are or would be targets . . It's not about the event, it's about the profile and the numbers that can be killed and injured, and combined with the fact that there's a TV or Video Camera every ten feet at these events, the exposure is great . . the next could be a large crowd at another sporting event, or something at Times Square at 0900. Anyplace there's a large crowd of people and almost instant TV coverage could be a target for terrorists who want to create fear in the average American.
    . .
    Ah so! Let's ban stadium events like baseball and football events. Talk about target rich. Also I think we need a law banning the setting off of explosives with the sole purpose of killing people in the United States. There that will do it. No more bomb deaths because we made it illegal.

I wonder if it will be found that the explosives were smuggled across the Mexican border. If so, DHS should be fired and their boss Impeach for derelection of duty.
    Last edited by masonranch; 04-16-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    The difference between a welfare state and a totalitarian state is a matter of time - Ayn Rand

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”- Patrick Henry

My prediction:

The bomber(s) wil be Islamic....They are already questioning a Saudi man.

Obama's White House will call this an isolated incident of a man acting alone and not part of a terrorist organization....This move is already being setup in the press with them saying that there is no increased chatter or Islamic websites. Which leads to my next prediction...

Obama's White House will do as much to avenge this and put terrorist organizations on their heels as he did after the BenGazzi attacks...In other words, he will PROMISE action and DO NOTHING!!
    Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

In all probability, there will be further restrictions on anything from bulk sulphur to BB's or shot of any kind . . Not to mention new restrictions on "throw away" cell phones . . And anything that might be used to make any kind of explosive device will be restricted or banned. Or they'll try to . .

I don't see much need to smuggle explosives of any kind into the country, because so much is available from a huge number of sources, although most are already restricted, regulated or supposedly, tightly controlled . . But not so much for those who would kill people . . There's a distinct legal difference between stealing bomb components and Killing people . . but if you're going to kill people by the numbers, theft probably never enters the mind of the would be killer . . and if it does, that's just a mere inconvenience in the process of acquiring the components. Not to mention all the raw materials out there that can be used to create explosives and their triggers . .

Most often it's a lot safer to use commercially (or stolen Military) available explosives because making Explosives is kind of risky, even for those who do so everyday in factories and plants, but that also is often ignored by those who want to create fear by terrorism. In the UK, over the years, although it's not publicized or spoken of, there has been over 50 "terrorists" killed while building bombs in one apartment or another . . That tells you that the people doing this, at least most of the time, aren't "Rocket Scientists" . .

Now, just now, the Boston Mayor said that the two Bombs that detonated were the only bombs found . . The earlier Police reports about two unexploded devices were, apparently, Imaginary. So far, the crooks are smarter than the cops . . Or . . The cops are dumber than the crooks . .

The funny part about your statement:
    Also I think we need a law banning the setting off of explosives with the sole purpose of killing people in the United States.
    is that unregistered possession of explosives is already illegal in the USA . . Although, as far as I know, other than Assaination of an elected Federal Official, (President, Etc.) the crime of Murder isn't on the Federal list of crimes . . Sooo . . I guess it's OK . . . That's up to the States . .

Less than an hour before the explosions, the Boston Globe tweeted that the Boston Police are going to have some "controlled explosions" at that very site.
    https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/stat...86829596205056

If you notice the time, you'll see when it was tweeted. Reports state that the blasts occurred at 2:30 or some say about 2:50.

Next, witnesses are saying that the police were telling the crowd, during the chaos following the explosions, that this was "just a drill".

I looked at the Boston Police's twitter and didn't see anything on there about this, so I wonder where the Boston Globe got their information?

Even so, the police do acknowledge that there was a drill at the same time - they had bomb sniffing dogs at the scene before the blasts.

SO - given this -

IF they suspected a bomb, why didn't they clear the area?

IF it was just a drill, WHY was it in the middle of a crowded event, and since when do agencies use live bombs for such a thing?! WHO has a "controlled explosion" in the middle of a public, crowded event - especially without clearing the area?

I think this looks, to me, like an OOPS that's being blamed on terrorism. And what an "oops" it is - an 8 year old boy was killed, many people lost limbs - I'm not buying the story that this was terrorism just yet - I want answers to my questions.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Well, Cops AND Governments Lie . . most of the time . . and it's getting worse as far as information about anything that involves either is concerned.

But, no one with any sense at all would use a real Bomb for training or a "Drill" . . If they did, and something like yesterday happened, in spite of all the @ss covering that would undoubtedly take place, someone, probably a lot of someones, would go to jail . . And of course, the city would suffer liability issues that they couldn't afford . . In the Billions . .

Bomb sniffing dogs can only sniff a bomb if it smells like a bomb. There are several things that one can do to lead a trained dog astray . . most notably would be to make the bomb smell like something else . . Wonder if the bomber thought of that? I know that in the Middle East and parts of Europe the bad guys have outsmarted the IED detectors, both canine and Machine . .

Again, Law Enforcement is usually behind the perps and have to react most of the time . . On the other hand, the bad guys get to try new ideas all the time. Explosive shoes and undies, for example. Here, we made fun of that effort but it did two things even though it didn't blow up any airplanes. It, once again, from strictly knee jerk reaction, decreased the Freedoms of the traveling American. Often, blowing up an airplane or a building isn't the main reason for doing it. Lost in the panic is the overall cost in dollars to react. look at the cost of the airport scanning equipment and the increased security that the "Shoe Bomber" and the Binary explosive threat caused. Billions of Dollars.

And when you look back at history, you can see how that has worked. The most recent case of causing a country to spend itself into oblivion for "Defense" was the Soviet Union . . . and Usama bin Laden said it after 9/11, "The object is not to win militarily, but to bankrupt their country by causing them to defend themselves at great expense" . .

We are well on our way . . . .