Thread: Dist 60 Board Starting to Circle the Wagons?

Default Dist 60 Board Starting to Circle the Wagons?

Heh, heh, it seems that the Pueblo Chieftain opened a can of worms when they published the article about the comparison of the number of "Administrators" working in the Admin. Buildings of both Dist. 60 and 70. Big differences with few answers for the justification. With not quite twice as many students as Dist 70, Pueblo City Schools "gets by" with almost four times as many high buck administrators.

And according to today's Chieftain, as of yesterday, Dist. 60 Board members are no longer making public comment, but instead are referring all questions to the Board President Phyliss Sanchez. Apparently the Chieftain hit a nerve . . Or asked a question that the Board doesn't want to answer . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I don't know about you but when I read the article related to grading the school districts, I was sorely disappointed. To have that many administrative positions, supposedly, all needed, and to to have many of them in the "F" category, is deplorable. Only two schools got an "A" rating. It sounds to me that all of the administrators are doing little to improve the quality of education in the district. I want to know how Phyliss Sanchez is going to spin her way out of this one? As an employer, for a very long time in this city, I have been shocked over the years to have young people come in and apply for work, who couldn't even fill out an employment application correctly. Many of them, in handwriting and spelling, so bad you couldn't read them. The District 60 Board members have got a lot of explaining to do. I can't believe more people haven't followed this story. I was happy that Steve Henson brought up the comparison of the two Districts. Now to see the poor grades given to most all of our schools, makes one wonder if we don't have a severe leadership problem at the district level and at each school. Having raised five children in District 70, and going to a number of graduations, I saw a number of students who had worked hard and excelled. However, there were so many more of the students, who were just plain, either bored, or just plain lazy about school work. Of course, parenting has to be discussed as well, when we talk about achievement in school work. Too many parents haven't been involved. Some just don't care. Anyway, I believe that learning takes place at the classroom level with each individual teacher, with parent involvement. These two articles have me worried about the quality of education in our fair city.

As I see it, it's a problem with the whole perception of the Public Education System that has been created by a number of things, starting with a unionized teaching corp. The only answer that those "Professionals" who have a plethora of @ss covering rulesets within their contracts and Union work rules, along with the Job Guarantee of "Tenure' which makes moving or discharging an inept educator nearly impossible in the very least. This, of course leads to total irresponsibility throughout the system because as union members, one cannot rat out another brother/sister Unionista . .

We have literally created an "Educational Assembly line" to educate our children. We categorize them by age, not ability, and then place them in "Grades", K thru 12 typically. And for a couple of hundred years it kind of worked. It worked better back when it was started, for a number of reasons. Back then there was little outside diversions. Kids came to school and were entertained by learning. There were smaller classroom sizes by the grades and often the grades were more or less intermingled. There was some who believed (and still do) that the "One Room School House" was the best approach to educational achievement because the teacher was constantly aware of where, academically, each of his/her students were . . and because no matter which grade was being taught, everyone got to hear/see this and by the time it got to them in a test form, they knew it well . . And, while some argue that there's far more things that students need to know today, that's a false premise. An Eighth Grade Graduate (they graduated Eighth Graders back then) knew far more about far more than a sophomore in the average State College or University today.

And that was because, for one thing, when the teacher in that little school sent Johnny home in the Spring to work on the farm, she knew that next Fall, that same kid would be back in HER classroom studying NEXT YEAR'S Grade and ready for it. if he wouldn't be, in her summation, then she held him back and repeated that grade . .

There was no one to pass off the non achiever on to . . .

Today, we not only pass off non-achievers, slower students and potentially mentally ill or mentally handicapped children to the next grade, we do it, often as not, with the blessing(s) of the Administration . . The Entire system is complicit in this. We don't want to make "Waves". Not at any level. So if Sally, in the first or second grade, doesn't read at her acceptable level, the problem is seldom diagnosed, partly because the teacher doesn't want to deal with it and partly because the Administration (and sometimes the parents) don't want to spend the money and time to do it . . Because, quite like a faulty circut board or automobile on an assembly line, once you pull it off the line to diagnose and fix it, you have to adjust it's place in the line . . Our Educational systems are no longer prepared to do this efficiently. And to a School District, "efficiency" is everything . . and we can improve "Efficiency" by throwing money at the problem . . and when that doesn't work, we add more money by labeling the problem and assigning another administrator to it . .

And, in the ensuing "passing on" of the non-achiever (or whatever) we (the lower teacher) hopes/assumes that the receiving teacher can "MAKE DO" with the student he/she has sent up . . And of course, the receiving Teacher says nothing, once realization of the capabilities of the "Gift" has been ascertained, and tries to help the student "Catch Up" . . or not . . Apparently few do. In Pueblo, it's one out of every four, an admirable fact (?) . .

But the punch line is this. If a child cannot read at Third Grade level at the end of the Third Grade, what kind of heroic effort(s) are going to be made to bring this student up to Fourth Grade skills before he/she gets there? Generally, not a whole lot . . The student may not fit the assembly line model but "WE'LL MAKE DO" . . and sooner or later the student says, in one manner or another, "Enough" . . They drop out, or coast, just showing up and being a "Warm Body" which to school administrators, is actually all they're concerned about. If Billy/Sally just shows up on the "Count" day so that the school/district gets the bucks that the Feds and the State pays out for each and every warm body in the classroom, and of course, assumes that Billy/Sally is literate and an attending, involved student . . like every three out of four . .

And the teachers/administration are happy . . Until somebody grades the system . . .

The system has failed, and neither the teachers nor the Administrators, or the School Board really care . . Their only mission has been converted from education to funding education . . Screw the results . .

Perhaps we had better figure out how to pay for results rather than rhetoric . .

I'm betting that it would be a D@mned site cheaper . . .
    Last edited by large; 12-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.

What are your suggestions for the board or school staff concerning possible ways to improve the low grades/scores?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

IF . . You improve READING scores across the board, everything will rise accordingly.

Without adequate "Grade Level" reading abilities, a student is handicapped from the first day in that grade . . And if you can't read and comprehend, then nothing else you have to learn can be communicated except by verbal transmission. How well a teacher can communicate becomes the only way a "Non-Reading" student can learn, and if he only hears it once, that may not be enough. It usually isn't . .

And currently, in all grades, the system has decided that they will present something once verbally. After that you're on your own . . Repetition isn't something contemporarty education believes in . . But in real life, "Practice Makes perfect" . . . And it starts when the kid enters Grade School . . The first three years are very critical.

None of this is any kind of secret, but the Text Book Companies, the Teacher's Unions and the School Board's willingness to allow their children's educations to be manipulated and experimented with are the problems that have been visited upon education in the last 40 years . .

And none of it has produced any thing more than negative results . .

While it may sound simplistic, basically, those who teach must take the responsibility to DO THEIR JOBS and quit blaming everybody and everything else . .