Thread: 102 Year old woman still drives her 86 year old car

Default 102 Year old woman still drives her 86 year old car

Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

It's an old Packard. Nobody would cut up an old Packard . . and Nobody would . . Uhhh . .

She's too old to date . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Nice tires. Where can I find some for my Ranger?

Ahhh, jeez, Marc . . Obsolete tires for an obsolete truck . . Heh, heh . .

jus' joking . . Actually, believe it or don't, those tires are getting easier to get than the tires you probably have on your Ranger. . 14 and 15 inch tires are getting very hard to get . . unless you're buying a specialty tire . . and they're expensive. They don't make 14 and 15 inch wheels anymore and almost everything with round black things on the bottom are 16-17 and 18 inch . . .

And expensive . . .

Just a note on that . . When Obama slapped the tariff on Chinese tires, the rest of the tire manufacturers jumped on the opportunity to raise their prices to match what the Chinese had to retail their tires for . . In some cases that amounted to a 30% cost increase to the American Consumer . . Thank's O'Bungler . . We appreciate it . . I just love paying $60 for a $40 tire . . .

I like my Ranger. It can hold lots of stuff (I don't have the heart to throw away) in back to mulch. Life doesn't get much better than that. I plan to will it to the CU Department of Anthropology. I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Didja ever find the brushes you wanted/needed?

And discontinuing the Ranger was a bullet hole in the foot for Ford . . Now they're thinking of bringing it back . .

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    Didja ever find the brushes you wanted/needed?

And discontinuing the Ranger was a bullet hole in the foot for Ford . . Now they're thinking of bringing it back . .
    No. I went to D&S and the guy took down the part numbers (series 2179, 2962, 2838 and 70) but didn't want my phone number to call me when they came in. Made me think they wanted me to go away. OK. Free country. I respect choice and no one owes me anything.

I've been looking online but either the price is too good to be true or the vendor has some bait and switch or other bad ratings. Since purchasing a supposedly current production brush is such a drag I concluded it is not meant to be.

Along the way I read a prety cool tutorial piece from a Canadian draughtsman (eh?) that made me (whips and chains) practice with all kinds of odd things other than a brush. Bottom line: Since I fear bait and switch (too many bad experiences) I am practicing making my own brushes with from 1 to 1-1/4" brush bristles I like. I've experimented with various paints and various bristles and it's a huge eye opener as to bristles, paint, brush size and on and on. I'm glad buying a brush out of a catalog was such a hassle that I decided to experiment with other application tools. From the various pinstripers Youtube presentations it's obvious I need to make my own stuff that will Zen with me. (Don't get me wrong. Brush makers are no slouches. It's no where as easy as I thought it'd be. The problem is access.)

Ya see I'm basically lazy (blush). I want the tool to do the work and not learn the skill. I bought my first computer because I thought it would take my idea and make it happen. Totall bu___hit philosophy.

From Letterheads
    " Practice, practice, practice! Unfortunately, there is no magical wand here. You just have to put down thousands of strokes.
    To get political it's same for the government. Government cannot be a tool that brings lazy Americans prosperity and the good life.

OK, what're you trying to do? Pinstripe? Or art with what medium? Automotive Coatings are probably the toughest (and probably the most expensive) medium, but any of them can be difficult if you get into them deep enough . .

If you're trying to learn Hand Lettering, that's an art of it's own . . It's really ridiculous how difficult learning to create the alphabet in all it's odd fonts and styles can be . . or is . .

Just learning to "Chisel" a corner is a new experience everytime you do it well . . . according to some of my old books, a Journeyman Wagon Sign Man and Striper (The trade's Epitome) had to go through a seven or eight year apprenticeship . . and only a few became Journeymen at the end of that time because they either didn't have the smarts or the patience to learn and practice, constantly, their chosen skill . . .

I've been doing it since I was about 7 years old, and still believe that I haven't even come close to equaling a journeyman From the 1880-1910 era . . . But things are so much easier today, you buy your brushes, buy your paint, have a computer to do the layouts and patterns and finally, cut out a letter with sticky on it's back if you don't wanna paint it on . .

Hell, I don't even paint the numbers or the name on the Ape's windows. just type 'em out in Illustrator at actual size, send 'em down to my buddy who has a cutting plotter and Voila!, instant signs . . Stick 'em on the lexan and forget it. Wanna change 'em? Use your fingernail to lift a corner and, again, Voila!, signs gone!

And, again, when I do a small period sign or a panel, I use the computer, usually, for patterns, although I'm still a whiz with wet brush single stroke lettering, and can put it on just about as fast as I can lay it out with a stabilo pencil . .

On the panel thing. Go to a sheet metal shop and get a few 18 X 24 Coated Aluminum panels . . Use them to practice on, and wipe them off, either wet or dry, with denatured Alcohol if you're using an alkyd enamel like One Shot . . And, if you do something you consider worth keeping and showing off, then it's easy to frame and hang, or just hang . .

This is one of the reasons I bought into teaching all of it at PCC for the time I did . . Few people who are journeymen at signage and striping are interested in showing anyone else what the art is about, and they generally die without sharing a d@mned thing . . I look at it this way. God (or something) blessed me with the talent to do this and I owe it to whoever to share what I have learned . . It seems like a waste to learn all of it and then just die with it . . cause I betcha, if there's an afterlife, they sure as hell don't need an old shaky pinstriper!

jus' sayin . .

My number's on the Blue Sign on the South Wall at D & S if you want to talk . . .