Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Council in the NEWS

Here's another problem with Group Health insurance for unmarried "Partners" . .

If you're gay and living with someone of the same sex, and are eligible for Employer paid insurance, why aren't "Hetreosexual Partners" or a man and woman living together eligible for the same benefits . . ?

A little discrimination there? Actually, a whole lot of discrimination there . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I was told by Councilwoman Sandy Daff that this is to make up for the portion of the law that disallows gays to marry. She explained it in such a way that it made sense, but I still see the perspective for a discrimination suit if someone wanted to take it that far. However, we know that gays feel the same way since their sexuality is now a protected civil class, so civilly if they are unable to unite then there needs to be some concession made for them.

BUT the way the concession happens - again - there is still room for some discrimination. There are a lot of heterosexual couples living together who can't marry for whatever reason - usually economical - or who choose not to - and they are unable to put their partners on benefits or speak for their partners to physicians without a signed release - they full well know the rules and still choose to live together rather than being married - so how do all of these laws affect them?

I've known elderly siblings who live together in order to help take care of each other (nothing incestuous, don't get any ideas) - and they share incomes and shopping but can't put each other on health plans. My girls' father doesn't live with us - he lives with his mother and takes care of her, she's elderly and very disabled - and needs someone to take care of her - he can't put her on his benefits. Yet he can put the girls on them even though he doesn't have custody of them and they don't live with him. So there seem to be a lot of things that are unfair going on - I think everyone can easily claim they're being discriminated against in one form or another.

Most people find ways to work through these difficulties and go on about their business. But it won't surprise me to see this kind of thing get challenged as discriminatory.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I was told by Councilwoman Sandy Daff that this is to make up for the portion of the law that disallows gays to marry. She explained it in such a way that it made sense,
    Bullsh*t! You're (or Sandy Daff, actually) speaking of "REPARATIONS" . . Or . . Gee, those old conservative people were mean to you oddballs so we, the Pueblo City Council, are going to make it up to you in our own little way. At the expense of the taxpayer . . of course . .

Again, I don't care what you do in the privacy of your house, just don't ask me to subsidise it . .

And if the gays can be subsidized for having partners then of course, so should all other unmarried couples. That's just plain common sense . .

And yes, it will bring lawsuits. Probably more than this Council ever dreamed of . .

Let's see...the city is without a City Manager, they are paying an AWOL planner/ex-planning director/ex city manager they refuse to talk about and the city attorney has resigned. Cue up the theme song from Titanic.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Swelk View Post
    Let's see...the city is without a City Manager, they are paying an AWOL planner/ex-planning director/ex city manager(with a limited amount of working time[100 days per yr]) they refuse to talk about and the city attorney has resigned. Cue up the theme song from Titanic.

This has proven to be a very undecisive bunch . . They're starting to make the last Council look like "Supermen" . . .

But one might expect that, since you have a nearly all Democrat group, mostly potential "Spendaholics", with no money . .

Loren, the City Attorney was woo'd by Colorado Springs. He's now their assistant city attorney - they offered him $20,000 a year more than their last one got - which is a lot more than he was getting here to begin with - so he followed the money.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.