Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pueblo Police in the news

Default Pueblo Police in the news

Pueblo Police Officer shot twice, then kills suspect

So sorry to hear about this. Hope the officer has a speedy recovery.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Geez, we're lucky it wasn't a New York City Cop . . He's have shot the suspect 10 times and wounded another 13 bystanders . . . !
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

One of the people commenting at KOAA or on FB or wherever is saying that the deceased had a bb gun and the cop shot him 6 times. This leads me to believe it is a juvenile in question, and I hope it isn't anyone I know.

Even so, I have to side with the cop on this one - you don't shoot anything at a cop - not even a bb gun. If whoever shot first, then the cop was justified. That's all I can say about that - this is a terrible tragedy all the way around, and it breaks my heart.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    One of the people commenting at KOAA or on FB or wherever is saying that the deceased had a bb gun and the cop shot him 6 times. This leads me to believe it is a juvenile in question, and I hope it isn't anyone I know.

Even so, I have to side with the cop on this one - you don't shoot anything at a cop - not even a bb gun. If whoever shot first, then the cop was justified. That's all I can say about that - this is a terrible tragedy all the way around, and it breaks my heart.
    It's not unusual for a cop to fire all their bullets and have no recollection of doing it. Shooting to injure only works in the movies.

I've known cops to be wrong. But the safest thing to do when approached by one is to be extremely cooperative.

Default Shooting suspect armed with BB gun; shoots at cop; dies on scene

A 21-year-old man armed with a BB gun shot a Pueblo police officer twice, once in the head, who then returned fire killing the man, Pueblo Police Chief Luis Velez said this afternoon.

More...

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    Geez, we're lucky it wasn't a New York City Cop . . He's have shot the suspect 10 times and wounded another 13 bystanders . . . !
    Well, at least he didn't shoot any bystanders . . But one has to wonder why anybody needs to be shot 6 times with .40 caliber hollow points. Especially when they aren't shooting back! Or 10 times in the New York case . . how many times can you kill someone?

And Velez flatfootedly stated that it was a "good Shoot" . .

Aren't shooting back? The cop got hit twice! From what I can tell from the stories, the guy fired twice at the cop and hit him in the head - and the cop returned fire - sounds like he emptied his revolver, although I didn't know revolvers had 8 rounds, every revolver I've ever seen has only had 6.

Also I'm thinking adrenaline may have kicked in and the cop wasn't going to take any chances of being hit again. Just a thought - I mean, he WAS hit in the head.

Glad to hear he's going to be okay. Or she? I don't know the gender of the officer - but I'm betting they're not exactly singing and dancing about having taken a life.

Aren't shooting back? The cop got hit twice! From what I can tell from the stories, the guy fired twice at the cop and hit him in the head - and the cop returned fire - sounds like he emptied his revolver, although I didn't know revolvers had 8 rounds, every revolver I've ever seen has only had 6.
    I don't believe the police carry revolvers. From the ones I have seen on the hip of many police officers they appear to be a pistol that accepts a magazine, or clip, which I think would make them a type of pistol called a semi-automatic. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do know they aren't a revolver.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Oh, come on . . Ferchrissake! He got hit in the head with a D@mned BB! He's either a blooming idiot or a first degree p-ssy. When we were kids (before "Politically Correct's" time and "you'll put your eye out") we played kick the can, in the dark, or by moonlight, with a Daisy BB gun. The guy who was "IT" got the gun and when he shot you, you were "OUT" . . I got my share of welts . . No big deal . . It was part of "Having Fun" . .

Granted, you can buy BB Guns today that rival a .22 Long Rifle for muzzle velocity, but if you've been shot in the head, and you're still standing, and seeing out of both eyes, you aren't hurt and the guy didn't shoot you with a real gun. Had a similar problem in my neighborhood, and a City Cop told me, absolutely, if the guy you shoot had a BB Gun, no matter how powerful, self defense wouldn't make it with the DA . .

And . . 'Nother "Gun Lesson" . . Revolvers can commonly have cylinders that hold 9 or even 10 rounds . . generally they are .22 cal but there are others. In the case of the Pueblo Policeman, I don't know of any that carry a revolver anymore. They all carry, as far as I know, Semi-Auto pistols that hold as few as 6 rounds and as many as 15 rounds . . and are generally .40 cal centerfire . . Police are required to load their handguns with low velocity virgin lead hollow points in order to control penetration and ricochet, so generally, a center mass shot will knock the target down on impact. And, with a Semi-Auto pistol, after the first double action shot, it's all just squeeze and there goes another one . . That's how the New York City Cops shot 13 bystanders . . I can't believe that the target was still standing after the second shot unless the cop couldn't hit a bull in the @ss with a shovel at three feet!

To me anyway, there's way too many cops shooting people without substantial just reasoning . . And not only shooting too many, but shooting them too many times . . I've seen several videos of cops in shootings and they shoot long after anything needs to be shot! In one, they not only hit the perp over 30 times, they killed the K9 sent in in the middle of the fusillade. Extremely stupid! For some reason, if you have 15 shots in the pistol and 3 more clips with 15 shots in each, apparently it's OK to use 'em all up. No use letting ammo get old . .

On the argument about not knowing how many rounds you cycled through your handgun while the adrenilin is pumping, that's Bullsh*t!, plain and simple. The cops are the only people who have ever used that argument with any modicum of success in a court of law. Not a single self defense case, manslaughter or murder case has ever recognized that as a viable defense for shooting the victim more than once or twice . . After that, according to all of the prosecutors, it was raw emotion and hate . . Not even "Fear" . .

For over 30 years, I maintained a rapport with a lot of Pueblo's Finest, shot with them, socialized with them. And y'know what? In that 30 years there were 3 Police involved shootings, and two standoffs, as far as I can remember. In both standoffs, they were resolved without a fatality. Cops just looked at what they did and the risks involved differently. And they handled people differently. They didn't look at every contact as a potential cop killer . . In the three Shootings, FIVE Rounds were expended . . Total!
    Last edited by large; 08-30-2012 at 10:21 AM.