Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pueblo Police in the news

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    In my case, it would have to depend upon what I was "Shot" with, first of all. The next thing I would start trying to do is get the Hell out of his target area. When you're two shots down in a "Gunfight" the first priority is to make d@mned sure he doesn't shoot you three times. Then figure out how (and who) to shoot back . . In all of this you should be assessing what he's shooting at you with, so you have some idea of accuracy and timing to return fire. Problem is, most people, including, apparently, the Police, believe in the "Mel Gibson" Defense, which is, don't look for a target, just poke the gun in the general direction and dump 3 or 4 clips of 15 rounds each . . You'll hit something, after all, they do in the movies . .

Back to square one on this particular incident. How in the hell does a cop get shot twice with a BB Gun and fail to realize that is what the "Weapon" is . . ? Might even go as far as ask, How the Hell does a cop get shot with a BB Gun? According to the report, there was an apparent confrontation between the two before the kid shot the cop with the BB Gun, so at that point, the cop should have been doing some assessment on the danger of the situation. Apparently he didn't. Then after he was shot, he still failed to assess the situation correctly and resorted to the last resort. Add in the fact that he didn't use targeting or deliberation in his use of his sidearm and I'll show you a person who shouldn't have a firearm in any circumstance. The Cop posed a greater danger to the general populace than did the kid with the BB Gun . .

Prove me wrong . . .

And, one more time . . Anytime a shooter cannot account for all the shots fired from his/her weapon, they either shouldn't be allowed to have a gun or should receive extensive training before being allowed access to a gun again . . When anyone fires a firearm, for any reason, they, and they alone are responsible for the bullet fired until it becomes a still and inert object. And firing eight shots in the general direction of someone in a densely populated area is totally irresponsible . . Doesn't matter who you are . .
    Basic Defensive Firearms training. One, don't be a target. Two, know what your target is and the danger it presents. Third, aim and shoot with deliberation for accuracy, speed generally gets YOU killed.

The cop did none of these. He/she violated the tenents of Firearms Defenseive Basic Training . . And I don't even have to have the details to make that judgement!
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Looks like there's more talk about this Citizen Review Panel - again.

Apparently there was another meeting recently - how long has this been going on? Years? I remember missing one meeting because I was giving birth to my now 8 year old, but was able to watch it on closed circuit tv - and it was nothing more than a big b!tch session.

Is that how the meeting at the library was, too? I'd love to see it, but alas, no cable services or anything, and I don't know as this one was even video taped.

Seems to me that the majority of the complainers are people who are either in trouble with the law, have been in trouble with the law, or are complaining on behalf of someone who is in trouble with the law.

And while I can very well tell you that there are issues pertaining to people who are not in trouble with the law - I've had ONE such run in, but when the police realized that I knew what I was talking about and wasn't afraid to call for the Sgt in charge - and that I was rational - the problem was resolved within that hour. Granted, I wasn't thrown to the ground and tasered or anything, but I think we see more of that baloney in Colorado Springs than in Pueblo - cops pulling people over, grabbing them by the hair and pulling them out of the car window -for crying out loud. Or false arrests - CSPD has a lot of power and control issues to the point where they act downright criminal.

I haven't seen a whole lot of that here in Pueblo. I have seen where suspects "didn't want to go back to prison" so they ran from the law - which is the worst thing you can do - and in some cases have caused their own injury or even death in the process, and then their families turn around and blame the cops and want the cops held accountable for that.

Large knows my position on car chases - I think that, unless the officer is pursuing a dangerous criminal or trying to save someone who has just been kidnapped - that's one thing, but most other things - the chase doesn't need to happen because it endangers too many people on the street. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't see a whole lot of that here in Pueblo - or maybe the news just doesn't report on it.

But I am aware of quite a few foot chases - and that's a horse of a different color as far as I'm concerned - if you're running away from the cops and you run out into the street and get hit by a truck - that's your fault, not the cops. If your boy doesn't want to go back to prison, then he needs to modify his behavior so that he's no longer suspicious - stop hanging out with the criminal element, pull his damned pants up, get a shave and a haircut, and a real job. Become a presentable, responsible member of the community.

My take is that, FOR THE MOST PART (as I'm well aware there is a "less" part), if you're not committing crimes, you don't have a whole lot to worry about. As for the less part, I realize there are exceptions to that - and this is why a review board is always a good idea.

I would suggest that if a citizen panel ever did start, that said panel would offer as many rewards as they would finger shakings - to show some balance. If you're always getting mad at people, and you never offer positive feedback -then that just gets old - and useless.

Thoughts?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

I have to hand it to the cops for something - they weren't in the news for this, but I really like the way they handled something last night.

My internet went out, so I was sitting in the front yard yesterday borrowing the internet signal of a local business that offers free internet to it's guests - those of you who know where I live know what it is, so I'm not saying it here for all to see - for privacy reasons. Anyway, while I was sitting out there, all hell began to break loose in my neighborhood -and it's really hard for me to write this without giving all the details, because I'm the type of person who likes to spell things out for everyone - but basically, the police ended up on my street twice yesterday afternoon dealing with different neighbors and different situations - and both times they handled things in a very positive and professional manner - with a real element of humanity. I was very impressed with how they conducted themselves, actually - they were quite effective.

Although I'm a wee bit upset because there is one neighbor who goes around calling the police on everyone then tells folks it's me doing it. Although some neighbors think he's just a cop wannabe - they don't really like him, but they're still leary of me anyway just because of his gossip. I don't know why anyone listens to him.

Anyway that's the deal - kudos to the cops - I liked the way they handled stuff.

However, I do wonder - I mean, this stuff happened yesterday while I was sitting out in the yard, and I rarely just sit out in my yard during the day - Just how much stuff am I missing by staying in my house with my shades in front drawn? I don't think I want to know.

I can hardly wait until my internet connection is fixed, I don't want to see anything else. lol!
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Perhaps they are learning that a confrontational attitude or approach isn't working and that perhaps honey is better than battery acid . .

And, where you (and I) live is amongst our minority Majority, who tend to be the people involved in a large share of the disturbances and crimes in our little city . . And whoever is doing whatever that draws a visit from the Police must be doing something pretty illegal because it takes quite a bit to get a cop to show up currently . . More than one usually indicates that someone, someplace close, is in danger or has committed a serious crime . . .

The police were out here again yesterday - several times - all looking for the same gal. Turns out it's worse than I thought it was - but the police were still very professional.

It's the neighbors, however, that are the problem. And it's funny - yesterday I watched as one neighbor went to another neighbor who turned around and went right to yet another neighbor. Everyone is yapping about each other - and the common denominator is the person the cops are looking for.

So after seeing that - and with the trouble that's brewing in this neighborhood - I think I'm going to be less neighborly from now on. I hate to not be friends with people, but anytime anyone has anything to say, they come over to me - then turn around and gossip about me and accuse me of being the neighborhood cop caller. (I rarely call the police unless I need them for something - like the time recently when someone was in my backyard in the middle of the night.)

And yesterday I sat on my porch and watched it happen - and got a good laugh even though it's really not funny.

Hmmm, the cops want something . . So they're being nice to everybody in the area . . But I betcha the neighbors aren't telling the cops diddly . . The three monkeys . . .

Idunno - they probably don't want to be called to my street again!

Neighbors here are talking - I watched one neighbor go to another neighbor, who then turned around and went to another neighbor - it was comical looking, actually.

I was standing outside at the neighbor's the day before yesterday talking with them when the Sheriff's office drove up - in two cars - and went to my house! I'm like, "WTF?! Why are they at my place?!" So I walked over to see what was up - they were looking for the same person as the PD - turns out that a family member of that person called on her - don't know why they showed up at my house, though, unless they confused the addresses - because the house in question is directly across the street from mine - but, anyway, some neighbors came out and talked to the Deputies - told some stuff about the party they were looking for that shocked me.

Lesson learned from living in this neighborhood: Don't trust the neighbors.

And it's as hilarious as can be - these folks sitting there doing drugs pointing fingers at other people on the street doing drugs - go figure. I could write a soap opera about this street based on this week's events alone.

I'm so glad my internet is up again - I can sit inside my house with my shades drawn and not have to see or hear all this garbage.

Again, you live amongst the "Majority Minority" who give the greatest reason for a pro active police force. Most poor people are poor (I've said this before) because they make poor decisions. Add to that, a good share of them are lazy and would rather lay around and screw, smoke dope and drink than work . . Most of the women in these situations draw welfare, etc, but the men have to do something to be able to buy the dope and drinks . . They, most often, steal . .

Thus, the cops are always looking for one or more of them in any neighborhood populated by them . . . It's part and parcel of the "Urban Setting' . .

As for them ratting out their neighbors while doing the same thing, if the cops are looking for somebody else, they're not bothering you . . .

Oh, trust me - the cops aren't bothering me. It's the neighbors who are bothering me - calling the cops on each other then blaming it on me. I'm a friendly sort - but then I hear it from all sides, "I called the cops on so and so..." and then "so and so" comes over and wants to know why I called the cops on them.

I really have no need to call the police on anyone unless what they're doing directly affects me or their family. I'm not the tattling type.