Thread: Pueblo is keeping Colorado Springs from getting their water again...lol...

Default Pueblo is keeping Colorado Springs from getting their water again...lol...

I know we're not really trying to keep Colorado Springs from taking their water, but they seem to think that's what the deal is.

So the other day Colorado Springs had a torrential storm and one area of town known for flooding did its thing - so the Gazette is using that to remind everyone that Pueblo wants Colorado Springs to hold up its end of the bargain where the stormwater funds are concerned. Pueblo County is now "offering" to pull the licence on SDS to keep further construction from happening until Colorado Springs can come up with a plan to implement their promise in the IGA's concerning the funding of stormwater drainage, which in the long term is supposed to help ensure that Pueblo doesn't end up with more of Colorado Springs' wastewater.

I think that's reasonable, to be honest, but the Gazette is making a big issue of it.

So anyway I thought I'd bring it up here because Colorado Springs just can't figure out what to do - the people of the city won't say "yes" to a new tax, so the city tried to pull the wool over their eyes and came up with one anyway then claimed it was a fee, which was an illegal thing to do, so the voters overturned the so-called "fee".

What I don't understand is why they don't do what most other cities do and implement a stormwater fee in the water portion of the utilities bill. Colorado Springs Utilities handles the water, gas, and electric for the entire city - they don't have separate utilities companies there like we have. If they were to tack on a couple of bucks a month they'd have more money than they know what to do with in no time, but they balk at that idea and I can't understand why.

Any ideas on that?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Go Waaayyyyy Back to my criticisms of the City Council's "Premature and incomplete IGA" . . . There's little "Binding" reason for the Springs to do much of anything . . So between the City Council and the County Commissioners, they traded the cow for some beans . .

The only suit that seems to remain with "Standing" is the Sierra Club's suit about the EIS and Colorado Springs Utility's inability to comply with that. And . . I don't think that it's going to go much farther, so, yeah, Randy and the other six kinda blew it . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I think it was Colorado Springs that blew it - as usual. They played dirty with the people of the city when they imposed a tax and called it a fee - lying to their constituents flat out and the constituents didn't buy it. So naturally the voters eliminated it.

All they had to do was implement a fee and put it on the water portion of the utilities bill. It wouldn't be a tax that way and it would have went over a heck of a lot better. But they didn't think of that. I don't think it occurred to them. Why? Because they have no idea of how to run the city, that's why - and I can say that having lived there for over 3 decades and served that city myself.

Can't blame Randy or any of our own City Council for anything but trusting Colorado Springs to begin with - but I will say that they tried and the intentions were good. But given Colorado Springs' record for not caring who they sh!t on or why - well, there's a city that has a history of showing that it has no conscience whatsoever.

I think their current City Council has the capacity to turn that around - if their Mayor will let them.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I think it was Colorado Springs that blew it - as usual. They played dirty with the people of the city when they imposed a tax and called it a fee - lying to their constituents flat out and the constituents didn't buy it. So naturally the voters eliminated it.

All they had to do was implement a fee and put it on the water portion of the utilities bill. It wouldn't be a tax that way and it would have went over a heck of a lot better. But they didn't think of that. I don't think it occurred to them. Why? Because they have no idea of how to run the city, that's why - and I can say that having lived there for over 3 decades and served that city myself.

Can't blame Randy or any of our own City Council for anything but trusting Colorado Springs to begin with - but I will say that they tried and the intentions were good. But given Colorado Springs' record for not caring who they sh!t on or why - well, there's a city that has a history of showing that it has no conscience whatsoever.

I think their current City Council has the capacity to turn that around - if their Mayor will let them.
    Lessee . . I G A . . . "Inter-Governmental Agreement" . . Note the "AGREEMENT" part . . Which required day and months of scruitiny and debate over whose responsibilities and obligations were whose . . and then signing official documents to hold those parties to those same Responsibilities and Obligations . . Sorta like a "CONTRACT" . .

And if one party or the other either doesn't live up to the responsibilities delineated in said contract then they're at fault and must be brought back to those same responsibilities through court actions. Unless they either weren't put in the IGA or they were put in as possible "options" . .

So, who screwed the pooch? Pueblo's City Council and their legal eagles, or Colorado Springs Utility's Lawyers?

You tell me . . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"