Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacheco resigning

Default Pacheco resigning

Looks like Pacheco is resigning on the condition he keep his job as head of City Planning.

Thoughts?

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/...9bb2963f4.html
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

"Thoughts" ????

How about "Hypocritical"?

After nearly three hours of deliberation, City Council unanimously voted to ask City Manager Jerry Pacheco to resign Tuesday night a move the beleaguered city manager agreed to on the condition he keep his job as head of city planning.

"This was the best decision for all concerned," Council President Chris Kaufman said after the brief council meeting at 11:10 p.m. where the decision was announced. "I just want to say that I thought Jerry Pacheco did a phenomenal job while city manager."

The decision for the six council members was clearly difficult.
    Kaufman praises him just as he pulls the lever on the trap door . . .

As for retaining him in his old position in Planning . . Don't think so. Bad idea. He's still, literally, "Second" in the chain of command, and his presence in the management sector of the City Bureaucracy will, in all likelihood, either affect or inhibit the next City Manager's decisions . . as well as behavior of the Council . . Not to mention, where does he come from, bargaining for his old job if he's out of this one? He "Peter Principled" so it should be "Bye Jerry, down the road. Go get a job in the private sector"

ButwotthehelldoIknow?
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

First off....Jerry was hired so that the "then" City Council could have someone that they could control. Honestly now, was he even qualified for the position? I think not. Jerry then let all his "power" go to his head. thought he was untouchable and it came back and bit him in the @ss. It's called KARMA.

I think that the end was going to come anyway. City Counsel kept Jerry around even after all this crap starting coming out about his personal life, etc., because they were going to need a scapegoat in the near future and who better than Jerry. Now the city council will have to take the blame for the fall out when something BIG happens.

According to tonight's news (KOAATV) Pacheco backed up on any agreements he "might have agreed to over the phone last night" . . . And said he's keeping his position . . for now, at least . .

Lessee if Council has more spine than a banana . . . I doubt it . . although Nawrocki, Nicols and Garcia would like to have the (New) manager in their corner . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

As for retaining him in his old position in Planning . . Don't think so. Bad idea. He's still, literally, "Second" in the chain of command, and his presence in the management sector of the City Bureaucracy will, in all likelihood, either affect or inhibit the next City Manager's decisions .
    Looks like Jenny Eickelman will take his place - at least in the interim - I know her - and I really don't think she'll allow that - she's not that type. She's a very strong minded woman who is very business oriented. She doesn't play those games. I have seen some of the various article comments on the various news channel FB pages and their websites trying to drag her into this, but I have to say - I have a lot of respect for her - and I think she'd make a great permanent City Manager, to be honest.

FWIW - and I say this with all due respect for Pacheco - I am uncomfortable with the idea of him retaining his position in City Planning given the way things have gone as long as he's been our City Manager. He seemed to do well at first - not sure what happened - but it all rolled downhill - and I don't agree with the way he conducted himself as our City Manager.

Our previous City Manager lost his job for a heck of a lot less, so there's something to think about.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Here we go again! Why would they keep him on as City Planner? This is a great example of a person who given a little authority and power, thinks he is above the law and the rules of appropriate behavior. Now we will go and do a nationwide search for somebody from out of town. We will hire someone who doesn't know Pueblo and try to change everything. This person will last about a year for they are fired and a round and a round we go. How embarrassing again for Pueblo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Looks like Jenny Eickelman will take his place - at least in the interim - I know her - and I really don't think she'll allow that - she's not that type. She's a very strong minded woman who is very business oriented. She doesn't play those games. I have seen some of the various article comments on the various news channel FB pages and their websites trying to drag her into this, but I have to say - I have a lot of respect for her - and I think she'd make a great permanent City Manager, to be honest.

FWIW - and I say this with all due respect for Pacheco - I am uncomfortable with the idea of him retaining his position in City Planning given the way things have gone as long as he's been our City Manager. He seemed to do well at first - not sure what happened - but it all rolled downhill - and I don't agree with the way he conducted himself as our City Manager.

Our previous City Manager lost his job for a heck of a lot less, so there's something to think about.
    Eickelman can and will be influenced. How can she not be? Ferchrissake, she's been a city bureaucrat for almost 30 years. How has she kept her job and been "Independent"? Plus, Pacheco has been in the driver's seat, knows that if he's available, she's going to seek advice on details. And as one of the City Manager's right hands, the Planning Director is going to influence many of her decisions anyway . . Obviously you have never worked or spent much time in Pueblo's City Hall. From the basement to the third floor, there's intrigue and politics, and if you don't play, you don't stay . . . Been there done that . . .

Here's my argument for an outsider as City manager. Mustangs tend to have the same problems that Pacheco and Galli did. Too much familarity with their subordinates, and probably to casual in their dealings with the Council. They also tend to depend upon a lot of knowledge about buried skeletons . . And while I really loved the way Fred Weisbrod ran the city, he'd be tarred and feathered if he was to try to run the city today like he ran it during his tenure . . Too much cut and dried Management, and the City Council did it his way, not the other way around . . They just thought they governed . .

As for Pacheco's actual management success. He did well as a manager. Just wasn't worth a d@mn as a personality.

And, with the change in Council's makeup, the Liberals weren't going to put up with Pacheco's handling of the Union issues. So Nicols and Nawrocki were looking for a reason to hang him out to dry anyway. They picked up a political ally in Garcia and probably, eventually Daff and Montoya will come over to their side and then they'll want a milquetoast Manager to do their bidding without worrying about a budget . . .

they'll want a milquetoast Manager to do their bidding without worrying about a budget
    That is why they got rid of Dave Galli, he refused to be a puppet for the Council. As far as an outsider goes, I agree with you except the last experiment, Lee Evett, was a disaster.
    Pacheco will continue to run the city from the planning office just as the Council intended. Bad decision.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

On the "Outsider" speculation, none of the "Outsiders" have had really good histories . . Most of the outsiders they have brought in were "transients" moving up from smaller cities and towns, and using Pueblo to pad their resumes . .

BUT . . If you are gonna "Mustang" someone now, from within, you have to push the current influence out to get change . . If that's what you want . . . Again, Pacheco wasn't a bad manager, he kept (well, for the most part) the budget in line except for letting the City Hall remodel get clear out of control . . And, if you're looking for a goat on the Black Hills deal, well, say "Baaahhh" Jerry . . .

If . . I was actually concerned with cleaning up all impressions of Ineptitude, nepotism, etc . . I'd clean out the whole executive group and start over . . Because, if you go back to those videos I refferred the readers to, it's more than one person that is a potential problem . . Starting with Pacheco's buddy, Police Chief Velez . . and then progressing to HR Director Marissa Walker . . She's the other half of Pacheco's Mattress Polo Game and just as he should have known better than to stick his dick in the pickleslicer, she should have known better than to be the pickleslicer! There's other places to look also, but that's the top of the list under "Things To Do" . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

I'm hearing a lot of remarks that Jerry is a great manager but his personal decisions are lacking - I can't count how many people have said that either by mouth or in writing - all of the comments, including those here, serve to show why it is important to "keep up appearances". When we mix personal pleasures with business, we lose the trust of the community.

Professionalism is of utmost importance, and we see this plainly. I think it's unprofessional to hire friends or to engage in romantic relationships with subordinates, and certainly - even if everything is on the up and up, it doesn't look like it is - and then, when something happens - such as the events we've read about in the paper recently, it drives the point home of why professionalism must be maintained at all times.

I have to give Jerry credit for at least apologizing - but I'd like to know what will be done to correct the situation other than the resignation with getting his old job back. A person takes themselves with themselves everywhere they go and in whatever ventures they undertake - so I wonder what Jerry's plans are to rectify these issues on a personal level so that they cease to interfere with his professionalism in the future.

And - I have the same question for all of those who've engaged in the misconduct and unprofessional behaviors/actions right along with him. It is time for Council to pull itself up by the bootstraps and retain what little dignity it has left. Don't snivel over having to make these decisions, don't make excuses, don't blame "the other guy" - leadership is all about personal and professional responsibility. The buck stops with our leaders - and they all need to acknowledge this and straighten up and get on with it. City Council is an elected body necessary for the administration of our city. It is not pre-school, it is not a clique - it is serious business. Council is supposed to be made up of grown ups - the excuse making and time to have a little extra patience because someone may be having issues is over. In general there is a certain amount of that afforded most anyone anyway, but enough is enough - there comes a time when we have to stop the madness and open our eyes to see what's happening and deal with it.

Jerry is not the only one with the problem here, folks. I'm sure he's a terrific guy and great manager but there have been too many incidents of less than desirable decision making, and too many others allowing those to continue - does our City Administration need coaching on how to be professional? It might be worth the $$ to hire someone to come in and do that. I think there's a problem somewhere that needs to be identified and remedied - and just voting everyone out obviously isn't the answer - we need a council who knows how to maintain professional standards and behaviors and stand strong in their expectations of all city staff - and that's something that needs to be learned.
    Last edited by Sandra; 05-31-2012 at 10:49 AM.