Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: City Manager woes

It's kind of defined in the Military structure of command . . You have the Officers, who mingle, kind of, in a more or less horizontal structure . . Then you have the NCOs, who generally mingle in a near vertical manner . . Then of course comes the "Enlisted' or "Peons" . . when things get too close and you hear, "Aw, c'mon Sarge!" that's what the non-fraternization rules were written to prevent . .

Vertical supervisory structure demands an ability for a manager to order tasks and jobs to be completed without debate . . And the guy who was drinking beer with the Manager last Friday tends to believe his "New" Buddy wouldn't make him do whatever it is he's being told to do . .

That's why a smart manager (or executive) keeps his personal social life away from the workers for the most part . . and for d@mned sure doesn't get involved sexually or emotionally (I said that before didn't I?) with any of the hired help . . And as a matter of good practice, doesn't get involved with anyone in the organization who might be an equal or upper supervisory . .

Now back when I worked in the Planning Commission, Everyone got along pretty well. We had meetings where everyone's input was asked for, accepted and in many cases used as part of a total concept. We were also given specific projects some more fun than others and was also expected, and sometimes ordered to assist other planners in their projects. The Director and the Board Members were all very nice to us (the employees), treated us well, but we were never buddies or members of their families . . There were no "Written Rules" but there was a definite understanding that you didn't fraternize with the bosses, nor did you mess with the secretaries and co-workers . . It was the unwritten "KIYP Rule" . . and as far as I know, no one ever ventured past it . .

And it was a good place to work . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I'm curious about the general consensus here - the definition of nepotism, of course, pertains to relatives. But what about friends?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I'm curious about the general consensus here - the definition of nepotism, of course, pertains to relatives. But what about friends?
    From the "Business Dictionary":
    Definition: Nepotism;
    Practice of appointing relatives and friends in one's organization to positions for which outsiders might be better qualified. Despite its negative connotations, nepotism (if applied sensibly) is an important and positive practice in the startup and formative years of a firm where complete trust and willingness to work hard (for little or no immediate reward) are critical for its survival.
    The latter part of the statement is probably true in many cases, and I know of several small businesses that are completely and successfully operated by family and in-laws . . But in all cases, the primary runs the operation for the good of all involved and they all completely understand both his position and the pecking order that comes with working there . . If somebody fails to understand that, then the whole operation's success is based upon how well the primary handles the problem . .

I've seen several very successful businesses closed up because of a new in law (who doesn't even work there) and needles their mate about how they are treated (etc) within the family and extended to their treatment at work . .

OK that works.

Thing is, while city administration is a business of sorts, it's a governmental entity, and nepotism has no place there.

So here's another question - if Jerry is removed from office, what will happen to those he hired for which he is accused of nepotism and/or those who willingly participated in inappropriate relationships or business dealings with him? Do they stand to lose their jobs, too?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

OK that works.

Thing is, while city administration is a business of sorts, it's a governmental entity, and nepotism has no place there.

So here's another question - if Jerry is removed from office, what will happen to those he hired for which he is accused of nepotism and/or those who willingly participated in inappropriate relationships or business dealings with him? Do they stand to lose their jobs, too?
    Who knows? Over in the Police Department, there's the Eric and Mark Bravo conundrum . . Eric's a Captain and I think Mark's a Detective Corporal or Sergeant . . When it came up, the Chief moved Eric to where he wouldn't be supervisor over Mark . . But, at the time, Eric was a Sergeant. Now he's a Captain and I'm betting, somewhere there'll be an overlap . . I know 'em both and they get along great, and both respect the other's position on the PD and what each of them do . . But, if Eric continues up the rank ladder, no matter how much juggling the Chief does, eventually, one rank will supervise the other . . Another of "Soloman's" Decisions . . .

As far as being "City Employees", as far as I know, at this time anyway, none of them either supervise another or are in line to . . so they're just "Employees" I think, and Jerry's departure probably wouldn't affect them . .

But, again, I dunno . . .

OK that works.

Walker will have to go also, the judge decided Pacheco overstepped his authority on the third one and the rest will stay, though I think Tom Florczek better rethink his position. He needs to be the one who tells the king he is wearing no clothes, not complement him on the beautiful robe.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

When it came up, the Chief moved Eric to where he wouldn't be supervisor over Mark . .
    Oh, yes - the chief. Another personal friend of Jerry's, but I won't go there. I worked alongside him while serving on a committee that served the City of Colorado Springs under Mayor Bob. He was a Captain in those days. I thought he was a good guy - I really liked him.
    Last edited by Sandra; 11-20-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Thought I'd better add the quote

Heh, heh, based upon a lot of nonsense that's come down the pike in Traffic Engineering and Planning, there might end up being a wholesale house cleaning . . They seem to have spent a lot of money on a lot of ideas that weren't either productive or practical . . The Traffic Engineer is consumed with the idea that the streets are for bicycles and that sitting at a light to cross Northern or several other high traffic streets should require a three minute wait . . and the planners are worrying about what's going on in Pueblo West or listening to the Traffic Engineer trying to reinvent the wheel and make Downtown Fourth Street a two lane one way . .

One also might note that the court ruling about the Departmental nepotism and test rigging was in Traffic . . More Questions?

One look at Lake Avenue South of Indiana would make you pause and wonder what the hell were they thinking . . a years worth of money spent on a defunct highway entrance to the city (60 years ago) to make it pretty . . but it won't change the businesses much other than maybe put a few out of business . . (Just an opinion)

But that's where they're at and it's up to you and the City Council to decide whether those people are doing an adequate job or not . . .

Since you brought it up - just a few days ago I was remarking to a friend of mine that this was really a strange stretch to beautify like that and wondered if it was because of the hospital, which is at the end of that stretch.

Since you brought it up - just a few days ago I was remarking to a friend of mine that this was really a strange stretch to beautify like that and wondered if it was because of the hospital, which is at the end of that stretch.
    Or possibly the new fire station which is going up. I can tell you this, the millions that were spent on the park at the south end of the lake is only frequented by parks maintenance employees. I drive by there several times a day and no cars, no people, nothing. This whole deal may be Ray Aguilera's legacy but it is a collossal waste on taxpayer (and grant) monies.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers