Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: City Manager woes

I've told you how the screening of applicants takes place, and how job descriptions are changed all the time. I've told you of the minimal role the HR department has in the screening of applicants, and of the interview panels.
    Not so much . . They do not "change job descriptions all the time" . . I know for a fact that in three recent cases they failed to get the better applicant, based upon experience and history and instead got an educated idiot, preferring a degreed but totally inexperienced person for the job(s) . .

Had they dropped the AA requirement (in one case) and the BA in the other two, and used experience on the job equivalents (which Civil Service Rules allow) they would have gotten far better job performance from their candidates . . That's Fact . . and again, I'd name names, but we're on the net and that's frowned upon .

Requirement and qualification rules are changed ONLY when a specific person is in mind for the position they want to fill . . and that's Fact, also . .

The three instances I've put forth includes one position advertised by the County, so it's not just a City Civil Service issue . .

The problem with the arbitrary rewriting of the qualifications ruleset is, while it does, sometimes fit the candidate for the job, it's usually done to fit the criteria for hiring an inside ringer . . Just as we've seen here . . And while neither of us has read the entire Judge's Decision, you're telling me that there's nothing wrong with tailoring job descriptions, and nobody in the city or county's HR departments do this to favor a particular candidate, because, the Civil Service Commission won't allow it . .

In some cases I also believe that the requirements change per interviewee, because, again, I've known qualified, sometimes even over qualified candidates go through the interview and fail miserably, yet the successful candidate knew less than anything about the job he was to assume . . and I know about 17 city (and former) employees that will vouch for that.

Back to the bottom line. The City and County both, hire and promote the people they want hired and promoted in spite of the EEO rulesets in place . . simply because they can. You apply, you test, you interview, and anyplace in the line, they can drop you with nothing more than a "Sorry" . . or a letter saying you didn't meet their qualifications . . and a guy on the "inside" is all of a sudden working in a position you were well qualified for . . That happens, with a pretty fair regularity . .
    Last edited by large; 12-13-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

But it doesn't matter because all our bickering, quibbling and opining isn't going to change much . .

IF . . City Council can waive City Law when they choose to, for the convenience of either themselves or an employee or executive, then we really shouldn't worry about how employees are hired or the ruleset they are supposed to follow . . . That should be the least of our worries . .

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    But it doesn't matter because all our bickering, quibbling and opining isn't going to change much . .

IF . . City Council can waive City Law when they choose to, for the convenience of either themselves or an employee or executive, then we really shouldn't worry about how employees are hired or the ruleset they are supposed to follow . . . That should be the least of our worries . .
    So what you are telling me is that the City Charter ratified by the voters of Pueblo and whose content can only be changed or modified by a vote of the citizens is only a guideline for the City Council? It is a document that can be waived or tossed aside on a whim by our elected leaders? Boy have I been mislead. I thought it had the force of law, but I guess I was wrong.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Apparently . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Swelk View Post
    So what you are telling me is that the City Charter ratified by the voters of Pueblo and whose content can only be changed or modified by a vote of the citizens is only a guideline for the City Council? It is a document that can be waived or tossed aside on a whim by our elected leaders? Boy have I been mislead. I thought it had the force of law, but I guess I was wrong.
    There is no "force of law" unless it's enforced by someone.

Since elected officials wanted this person hired an "outsider" would have to take up the fight (if
    there is a legitimate fight) since internal "Powers That Be" certainly will not fight themselves.

'Nother bone to pick about Pacheco and the City Council . . .

It has been brought up that, indeed, in the City Charter, there is a passage that decrees that the City Manager will reside within the city limits of the City of Pueblo . . Somehow, for this City Manager, the "Law" was "Waived" out of convenience to same person . .

Then, we add to that, "Moving Expenses" that are now being paid, three years after the fact, which, it turns out, aren't really "Moving Expenses" but "Rent" on a Town House within walking distance of City Hall . .

Now I dunno what all Jerry had to move after his (soon to be) ex wife threw his laundry on the driveway pavement, but $7000 would almost move the half a house he's soon to have, I'm sure.

And on that figure ($7000) I have to ask, did any of the City Council persons get an estimate of moving a 3 bedroom house full of furniture 7 miles before signing on to pay that expense? It seems that it might be a little pricey to me . .

Then, we add to that, "Moving Expenses" that are now being paid, three years after the fact, which, it turns out, aren't really "Moving Expenses" but "Rent" on a Town House within walking distance of City Hall . .
    Are you saying they're cooking the books? How long has he been living "in town"?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Are you saying they're cooking the books? How long has he been living "in town"?
    Ever since his wife threw his clothes out on the driveway I guess . .

Actually, I don't know that she did that . . But a lot of scorned wives do. I've seen it happen more often than not . . and she sounded, on the TV interview, like that might have been the case. She wasn't a happy camper . . Thus, at the least, He probably got to pick up his belongings in some "Safeway Samsonite" on the front porch . . .