Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: City Manager woes

Default City Manager woes

City Council held an executive session today to determine the fate of City Manager Jerry Pacheco. They had not reached a decision by the end of the day today.

Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

My personal opinion of this is that Pacheco needs to resign because his actions have left a bad taste in the mouth of the city, for one thing, and for another, are a strike against the city's reputation. Pueblo has enough rebuilding to do without this garbage going on. His actions have not been becoming of a city manager, I'm sorry to say - he was doing a fine job for a while there. I won't bother to ask what happened.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Perhaps I'm being hypercritical here, but why didn't you post that in the "City Council" thread . . ?

And where did you get the information? Just askin' because I haven't heard (or seen) anything yet . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Perhaps I'm being hypercritical here, but why didn't you post that in the "City Council" thread . . ?
    I usually consider the City Manager topic to be a wee bit different than the City Council one - thought I'd keep these issues separate. I predict that we'll be looking for a new city manager soon, so this will be a good topic to discuss that.

You'll be able to read about this in the Chieftain in the morning, no doubt - meanwhile you can read about it here: http://www.koaa.com/news/council-spe...r-allegations/ and here: http://www.krdo.com/news/29806993/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I usually consider the City Manager topic to be a wee bit different than the City Council one - thought I'd keep these issues separate. I predict that we'll be looking for a new city manager soon, so this will be a good topic to discuss that.
    Not really . . Jerry Pacheco is another of those "Not enough Information" decisions that Council has made and then looked back in horror when they saw what they have done . . I dunno if they have gotten to the "Horror" part yet, but they're sure as hell on their way . . . How many will get up and say they weren't informed about all this up front when it's over remains to be seen, but I'm betting on all the incumbents to do so, and the Newbies will sit VERY quietly . .

Because . . their turn is coming . . . And we'll get to see some of their "Community Activist's" wisdom . . Let's see if they, too, can find a "Coyote ugly" date or get lucky and find a jewel . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I won't bother to ask what happened.
    What happened is starting thinking with the wrong head. He won't be the first to have lost a career because of a zipper problem.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Back to the joke about the "Pickleslicer" . .

I think it started long before that.

I agree with some I've spoken with who feel he was a good choice in that he was an impressive city manager at first, but there's this thing called integrity that he began to lose when he allowed personal issues and ideas to interfere with his ability to make administrative decisions objectively and to conduct himself in a manner befitting of a city leader.

Bottom line . . Nepotism and employees being sexually or emotionally involved on the job reduces efficiency, negatively affects the command structure and compromises the entire mission of the enterprise or business . . Not to mention, messes with any credibility that the business or organization would want to maintain . .

As example, in a family business, you cannot fire a bad manger if that person happens to be your spouse or close relative. Expand the business or organization, how do you deny your "Squeeze" (or brother in-law) a raise or promotion? And, of course, firing the "Squeeze" is really gonna be tough!

Obviously, Mr. Pacheco has ignored one of the first tenents of being a Manager . . Thou shalt not stick your d--k in the pickleslicer . . . or anyone else on the packing line . . .

There's a lot of other rules that he's broken also, but sleeping with anyone in the employ of the city (or actually, anyone related to an employee) is rule #1, a strict No-no . . .

In theory, he shouldn't even consider any employee as a "Good Friend" . . want to stay out bad situations and lawsuits at work, don't fraternize with the hired help . . Period!

After being an owner of a small business now for over 25 years and having family members employed, I have learned some hard lessons. Family members must be treated like all of the other employees. Managers and supervisors lose their own credibility when they try to be best friends with anyone who works for them. Managers must be held accountable under the same standards as the rest of the employees. Personal relationships between managers and employees (and, yes, anyone related to an employee) are sure fire recipies for big trouble. To think you can go fishing with an employee every weekend and then come to work on Monday morning and have to ask the employee to correct his job performance or lose his job;this is never going to be understood by that employee. "I thought we were friends?" Why are you angry with me?....... Believe me, it just doesn't work. Fraternization with the hired help is a slippery slope and it usually comes back to "bite" you in the end. I know this well because I have been guilty of trying it. Good advice is to avoid it like the plague.