Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D-60 Schools Closing?

It looks like the District is trying to go back to the old elementary, junior high, senio high system. It worked for me. I don't believe that the school board has the huevos to close schools though, they will screw around until the state takes over. By that time Stephanie will be running for county commissioner and it won't be her problem any longer.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

It will be interesting to see how all of this "public hearing" stuff filters out. Word coming down to several school administrators I have spoken with say it is almost a done deal and barring any last minute juggling, the second option accepted by the school board and already publicized is the final plan.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

There's another meeting tonight. My concern about Carlile is that the District's excuses for wanting to close it are lame brained and their figures inaccurate. They didn't count the preschoolers or the special needs students in attendance, which is crazy - they attend, too! If they were included the change in attendance would be drastic - not to mention that this year they have a new special needs program so their attendance rolls increased even more.

I think it's lame brained to blame the whole thing on the boiler system - saying it will cost 1.5 million dollars to replace - to which I say MALARKY!!! I'd like to know where they get those figures from. Plus they say that the entire building is going to need to be "replaced" piece by piece - that it's falling apart at the seams. I've been in that building numerous times, and I just don't see any seams falling apart in there. Also, if that were the case, I'd smell it - old buildings that are falling apart have distinctive odors that trigger breathing problems in me - I have this reactive airway thing going on, but I have no trouble at all breathing in that lovely old building. I do think the gym should have the carpet removed and a real gym floor put in there - that carpet looks old and worn, stretched out in a few places. Other than that, it doesn't look so bad to me.

When we consider the plans for Carlile - they come up with reasons why they should close the building stating that it's too expensive to run - but then they turn around and say they want to put the District offices in there, or rent the building. Huh? They'd STILL have to fix the boiler system for that - landlords are responsible for their buildings.

Carlile is a high functioning school - and they want to place those kids in lower functioning schools. I'm thinking that someone in the District thinks that if they do that then the other schools scores will raise and it'll make the district look better. No it won't - not as a whole. D60 is a low functioning district overall and placing higher functioning children with lower functioning ones will only lower the higher functioning kids' scores because of the lower quality of education they'll be getting. So moving the kids that first year might look great, but they aren't really doing anything to fix the problem. D60 needs to take more pride in its educational system, and wasting money by moving students around and redrawing district boundaries and zones is NOT going to save the district any money, all it will do is shift where the money is being spent.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Have you said all of that to them through the comment here section of their website.
    There isn't an elementary school close to Carlile, the rest have other elementarys nearby. Somerlid/Morton, Spann/Bradford/Baca, Beulah Heights/Hellbeck. The closest to Carlile is Heritage which is a performance school an a relatively new building and that my be their underlying rationale.
    Howver the boiler smokescreen is hooey. They replaced the heating system (at least the funrace with the last bond issue.

I actually did not send my comments because I was planning to be there last night. Unfortunately I was not able to make it, so I'll submit my comments to them via their website today or tomorrow. Meanwhile, I hope they see it here - I've told them about this forum and topic.

I didn't know that about the furnace, that's very interesting. I know it works pretty well - last time I was in there I nearly passed out from the heat. I keep my house a little on the cool side, so that warm building was too much for me. lol!

BTW I'm thinking long and hard about the idea of moving the kids to Central and creating the STEM academy. I somewhat don't mind that idea if they HAVE to close the school, but at the same time, that school is a neighborhood anchor - as most neighborhood schools are - and with all the money that's already been put into it, it seems a shame to close it. I'm just not so sure that it's appropriate to have all those different age groups in one building - especially in a public school setting.
    Last edited by Sandra; 12-08-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Did you see the comment about the deal for PCC to buy Carlile? Interesting, and certainly within the realm of the PCC plan.

I didn't see that. Is that a yikes? What would PCC do with it? (Maybe THEY could run it. PCC elementary school.)

Two interesting points, the second needs more research. OK, three points.

1. The district enrollment is down 624 students from last year, that is more than the combined enrollment of half of the elementary schools marked for closure.

2. Enrollment is down over 8,000 students in the last 30+ years with the same number of schools. How many "district administrators" did we have then? More research needed.

3. Why does the district need a high priced mouthpiece to speak for the superintendent? I have heard Dr. Lopez speak several times and she is articulate, honest and forthright. Might the school board be afraid she might be the one to publicly tell the king (or in this case the queen) she is wearing no clothes?

Let me bring part of my thesis from the "City Council's Spending Agenda" Thread:

As for the "Declining Attendance", in the last article including a press release from Pueblo City Schools, they stated that overall, they could not identify a specific cause for the declining attendances. But when you have increasing enrollment, you build schools. When attendance declines, you close schools. It's really no more complex than that . .
    And then Loren notes that enrollment is down 8000+ over the last 30 years . . yet we have added schools, just as we have added Fire Stations . .

But we closed the old Fire Stations . . for the most part . . Schools? Not so much . . Just as we want to have no more than 3 minutes response from the "First Responders", we want no more than a five minute walk to school for our kids . .

But as the (or any) city expands and grows . . the core loses population and the more affluent move outward. They are also the ones with the kids who need education . . and use their considerable weight to have schools built in their neighborhoods . . but do we close a balancing number of older classrooms? No, because of Nostagia, or fear of cultural co-mingling, or for a plethora of other reasons, some too silly to bring up . . point being, it takes almost a Tornado, Tsunami, or Earthquake to close a school, especially in Pueblo, Colorado . . It took District 60 THREE years to close Thatcher School . . .

The solutions remain . . Economically (and that's the bottom line) you have to reduce the overall number of classrooms, thus reducing the number of teachers, and support staff, as well as a corresponding number of maintenance and upkeep staff . . . and, as Loren, again, correctly stated, reduce the number of administration staff to correspond with historical numbers seen in the past . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Loren, your first point shows why it is important that this city do more to accomodate and even encourage growth. But that's another topic for another time, because there's such a thing as too much growth, which the city seems to be afraid of - and rightfully so under current conditions - and there is such a thing as too little growth. Some growth would bring in more families, more money into our local economy, and more students.

BUT - jobs are scarce and closing schools makes them that much more scarce, and who wants to move to the 9th most dangerous city in the US - which also just happens to have some of the lowest performing schools in the state, according to our score ratings?

I think CSAPs are a large part of the problem. Kids are performing for the CSAPs, not for their own education - which is a disservice to the entire community. I think CSAPs should be abolished and we need the Iowa Basics brought back.