Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D-60 Schools Closing?

Default D-60 Schools Closing?

Has anyone seen this? It's outrageous!
    Four schools targeted for closure
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

What did you expect? It's not like the teachers union is going to take a pay cut.
    Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

Ironically, they're planning to close at least one of the city's higher functioning elementary schools, and they'll be shipping those kids to one of the city's lowest functioning elementary school - which is Minnequa.
    Last edited by Sandra; 10-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

They should close Risley and make theose East side schools PreK-8th grade.
    That way the kids are easily manageable in the elementary school environment and don't have 3 years to become little gangbangers at Risley before they go to East.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Loren - that's not a bad idea! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Has anyone seen this? It's outrageous!
    Four schools targeted for closure
    "Outrageous"? Not really. This is reality rather than terroritorialism. While it would be nice to have an elementary school next door, for a variety of reasons, the cost to pay for staff and maintenance for a school with declining attendance is nonsense in even good times . . which there currently ain't . . .

When a population ages, school attendance diminishes. It's one of the basic reasons a community is always looking to "Grow' . . Growth is what brings (or keeps) younger families in a community . . and those "younger" families are what feed the schools system . .

The old folks just continue to pay for them, whether the schools are under used or not . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

The 55 member board (dunno how many attended) had their "Re-purposing Workshop" meeting last night. No public input was accepted. However there will be two meetings coming up, and public input will be invited . .

Watch the paper for times and places . .

Thanks, Large.

Those meeting times and places are as follows:

Wednesday, November 9 @ 6pm, Centennial High School Auditorium
    and
    Wednesday, December 7 @ 6pm, South High School Auditorium

The public is invited to provide comments at these.

Each presenter will be asked to sign up to speak that evening and will each be limited to 3 minutes.

The final report can be viewed at www.pueblocityschools.us or you can call 549-7178 for more information.

It is absolutely ridiculous to have 5 year olds crying into the microphone at a district hearing. To allow that to happen is a colossal waste of time.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Here's the deal . . IF . . all those people truly feel the need to keep those schools open at the costs that're projected, do it . . But send the same people the bill and make them responsible for those same costs . .