Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pueblo City Council

Well, the Unions bought and paid for one, rented another and may have an eventual fan with the third . . The Non profits have now gained not just a foothold but a couple of seats on the council to the extent that it's almost a conflict of interest . .

I'm gonna bet that before the end of next year there's a sales tax increase to pay for more money for the non profits. It won't be sold that way, but that's where it'll go. It d*mned sure won't be for infrastructure maintenance . .

I also think that there wil be an increase in the bureaucracy. The city employee's are down about a hundred and ten or so and the unions are going to want those slots filled with dues payers . . The Unions already own Steve Nawrocki and now they have bought or rented a majority . . we'll see how that goes . .

What's going to be really interesting is how the feud with Black Heart utilities is going to go . . Vera got blasted and lost based upon her leadership in dealing with Black hills, but there were six other members who went along for the $7.2 million that they offered . . And the $16 Mil from Xcel before that . . .

And while we're discussing the Council, how about the City manager Jerry Pacheco and the Pickleslicer . . . ?
    Last edited by large; 11-02-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I too keep asking the question, "Are these the only people who want to run for office anymore?" It would be so refreshing to have candidates that we as a community could be proud of. Watching them debate is a painful experience. Then we they are elected, it is painful to watch them try to function as community leaders. Where are our charismatic individuals who are bright, humble, honest, and willing to take a stand on difficult issues. Now that the election is over, we have again proved that we prefer to elect activists who sit on the wrong side of common sense. I would like to put out signs on each end of town which read:"Help Wanted for Pueblo: Only real leaders need apply!"

I would run, myself, but I wouldn't be able to afford the job!
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowman838 View Post
    I too keep asking the question, "Are these the only people who want to run for office anymore?" It would be so refreshing to have candidates that we as a community could be proud of. Watching them debate is a painful experience. Then we they are elected, it is painful to watch them try to function as community leaders. Where are our charismatic individuals who are bright, humble, honest, and willing to take a stand on difficult issues. Now that the election is over, we have again proved that we prefer to elect activists who sit on the wrong side of common sense. I would like to put out signs on each end of town which read:"Help Wanted for Pueblo: Only real leaders need apply!"
    OK, why wouldn't I want to run . . ? First, for a non partisan City Council Seat, it's very hard to raise enough money to compete with those like Nichols who are supported by the Pueblo Democratic party, and all the City Enployee's Unions . . Actually when I say supported, I mean "Owned" if and when office is attained . . Chris Nichols had almost twice as much money as did Ortegon, and Francher had none . .all Francher did was split the vote that ortegon would have gotten the most of.

However, had Francher not run, Nichols still had enough votes to win, again, because of his money and high profile. Also, he has taken several stabs at public office and voting issues . . Practice makes perfect.

Had I run for Aguliera's seat . . against either, or both, I would have had, again, the unions and the Democratic Party to deal with. Not to mention, Daff getting the endorsement of Ray hisself . . . The only saving grace might have been a split vote, but Bessemer is a pretty big Democratic stronghold, and while the Council races are (again) supposed to be non-partisan, they really aren't . . I'd have lost, simply because I could not have told those people what they wanted to hear.

Lastly, In the 45-50 years or so that I've lived in Pueblo, I've been no angel . . I've been divorced a few times and a lot of my experience has been gained the hard way . . No Governor would have ever pardoned me, although I never needed one . . Thank God! But I can promise you, the opposition would have come up with pictures of former family with a couple of goats photoshopped in . . On all that, I'd certainly pass . .

BUT . . And I know this for a fact, Those elected to the Council and the County Commisioners read this board and the newspapers editorials, and I know I've influenced several issues with both current and former councilpersons . . as you others up here have also . .

They do hear us, even if they don't admit to it . . .

Vera took her ball and went home I guess, a no show at the work session last night.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Well, lessee . . She's a "Lame Duck", defeated by becoming the single target for blame involving Black Hills and their price increases, although several others, including the term limited President of the council, Packrat, refuse to step forward and take their share of the blame.

Packrat made the front page of the Metro section yesterday when he testified at the PUC meeting that Black Hills rates were terrible, although they had spent money in the community while building their power plants on newly annexed properties and had, indeed paid $7.5 Million in taxes up front.

What he (or anyone else) failed to say is that Black Hills told Council, at the beginning of their negotiations, two years ago, that the construction costs would be passed on to the consumers and that increase would amount to 30 to 35 % . . I'm assuming they either blew that off, forgot about it, or thought that they could eventually get around it, one way or another. And, I believe that I made note of the upcoming price increases in this forum (another City Council Thread) at the time . . Not that I'm a genius or anything, but knowing that when a company or corporation incurs cost to provide a product, they generally pass it on to the consumer. And it was noted by others, writing about it's future effect, that when the power plants were finished, Pueblo's citizens would go from paying one of the lowest utility bills to paying the highest in the state . .

Council apparently ignored this or was blinded by the chance to spend another $10 or 12 Million dollars . .

Which they have . .

Now the new guys (Kaufman and Nichols, who isn't quite a Councilmember yet) want to cry "Foul" and rescind the whole deal, favoring finding a new power supplier . .

Good Luck, guys, we'll be sitting right here in the dark waiting for your solutions . . .

And . . Again . . .

What of Pueblo City Manager Jerry Pacheco and the Pickleslicer? (HR Director Walker)

This has turned into a soap opera on the TV news, but nary a whisper up here . . Christ, I'd have thought Loren, Chuckie and Nattering would've jumped, wit first, into this fray and foo foo ra . . .

Not to mention the nepotism charges in the lower echelons of the city's employees . .

You asked why I haven't replied, it is because I am disgusted. Disgusted that a qualified city manager was fired without adequate cause. Disgusted that instead of doing a search for a replacement (which would have cost money) they hired a person who would kneel at the throne of the council. Disgusted that the for 7.5 million dollars the council flopped down on their back like a $2 whore. Disgusted that partisan politics have ruined the city council, a ruination from which it will never recover. Disgusted that most use the council only as a steppinng stone to some other political office which pays more money or will provide a wider audience in which to spread their beneficence. Disgusted that Angela Giron can use the power of her office to settle a long forgotten grudge. Disgusted the two of the three newly elected council members are so beholden to their benefactors that they already have their blinders on. Disgusted that there is little hope for the city of Pueblo to succeed because of council members who do nothing but worship the golden calf and are no more than marionettes in a play with strings being pulled behind the scene. Disgusted that Jerry Pacheco has so little regard for the people of the city of Pueblo that he can smear not only his reputation, but plaster us all over the evening news. Disgusted that the Council sticks their head in the sand over the whole sordid affair. How can the number one city employee hire his married girlfriend (while he is still married), 10 months later lavish on her a sizeable bonus and make her employee of the year? Disgusted he can destroy emails, texts and other communicative devices related to such and then have the city attorney say he did nothing wrong. Partisan politics will ruin the city of Pueblo. Well that about does it except for Ray Aguilera's mistaken idea that the citizen's of Pueblo remember his original stance on Black Hills, not his wail as of late about rising energy costs.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Default Large don't let the facts in the way of your rant!

Is the name large an envy or compensation thing or what? I have been monitoring this site for months and most of your dribble is based on misinformation... You can not be taken seriously as you do not take the time to research the facts or even worst may know the facts but not add them because it does not help your position. Case in point, you carelessly submitted the far rights un-investigated assertion that the newest at-large council member Chris Nicoll profitted from the sale of sliver of land to Black Hills Energy. If you took the time to do your homework you would have found out that it was not the Nicolls family who purchased or were forced to sell the easement to Black Hills or face condemnation and eminent domain laws. The land sale occurred via a marraige relationship not a direct arrangement to the Nicolls family. Trying to connect that land transaction to councilman-elect Chris Nicoll was irresponsible, intentionally dishonest and sloppy. Before you run off to the blogs to push the local gossip research your facts and do us all a favor and change your blog handle to "medium" it's more accurate..

rdajai, could you have made your point without the personal attack?
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.