Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pueblo Cops . . Problem There?

Isn't that what a City manager is for?

The City Council makes decisions, do you expect them to think too?

At least there hasn't been much of that going on in the past.

And I haven't seen today's paper yet. Their high dollar, State of the Art press broke . . again . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I think we have some good cops on the force, but maybe they need better leadership and organization.

I'm sure there are, but then how good could they be and still allow the soap opera that's been going on for ten years ?

A GOOD COP doesn't want that kind of atmosphere around Him (Her). But for over 10 years, no one inside the force has said a d*mned thing about anything to anybody. A lot of them were "Unhappy" and their morales were down, they got "shuffled" if they made any waves at all, and a lot of disability retirements happened. But no one spoke out, and apparently aren't going to.

Hmmmm, Deputy Chief Andy McLachlan has gotten his breast in the cylindrical Water Extractor with the "Interim" Police Chief Luis Velez . . He, McLachlan, is accused of "Seeking personal support from Fire Fighters and city leaders against a policy proposal by Velez. And has been suspended . .

My question is this . . IF . . Velez is the "INTERIM" Police Chief, how and why does he get to set Policy? "Interim" means that he's "TEMPORARY", No?

But he has already rewritten the policy for those who answer your "Tow Truck" calls . . All owners, operators and drivers cannot have a DUI arrest (not conviction) on their records or have a police record as a felon. So much for another point of "Rehab" . .

Not to mention a couple of other policies, like Burglar Alarms that go off for no reason, etc. and becoming far more strict. Just about to the point of making one not want one . . Even when one goes unanswered and the place the alarm is, gets burgled.

I thought that when a City Department Head was "Temporary" the City Manager is the one who sets departmental policy, with the Blessing of City Council and the City Attorney. When was the City Charter changed? Hmmmm?

I have never seen a Deputy Chief writing parking tickets before, but I just might. Time for Andy to hang up his cleats...he's toast.

How can Velez dictate who can and cannot go into what business or work for others???

Sound like the city may end up in a legal catfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.N View Post
    How can Velez dictate who can and cannot go into what business or work for others???

Sound like the city may end up in a legal catfight.
    They can if you want on the Police Call Rotation . . Or at least they, the S.O. and The Colorado State Patrol all have their own set of rules and requirements. In the past they have dictated the capacity and load Minimums of recovery vehicles and rollbacks . . And so far no one has contested it.

but as an Independent Business owner, you can have your own rollback or "wrecker' and as long as you comply with CDOT regs you can use it as a business vehicle. You just don't get called to collisions and abandoned cars, etc. that the police deal with . . And there's a lot of money on collision recovery, storage, and title recovery as well as salvage and recycling . .

The rub about Velez' policy on the Drivers, Operators, etc. is . . We spend a lot of money to "Rehabilitate" the felons in our Prisons, but when they hit the streets, they can't get a job because the very people who cry that they need to be "rehabilitated" create policy against the jobs they've been trained or are qualified for . . About all an ex-con can do that isn't illegal for them is wash dishes or work as a laborer on a construction site . . I know three different people who had pretty good jobs, were trusted, and were dependable, who are now unemployed and one who was kept by his employer, but is doing a completely different job . . .

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    ... About all an ex-con can do that isn't illegal for them is wash dishes or work as a laborer on a construction site . . I know three different people who had pretty good jobs, were trusted, and were dependable, who are now unemployed and one who was kept by his employer, but is doing a completely different job . . .
    There's a difference between "justice" and "forgiveness."
    Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Lazarus Long

OK, but back to the Definition of "Interim" . . Again, one would believe that if . . an executive is named the "Interim" Executive, I've been led to believe that he's the "Caretaker' . . not a policy maker . .

But then impressions are Fleeting . . as are definitions in this day and age . .

What did I say when they appointed him? That this is not a good idea. Now we see why.

Some of his ideas are good ones, but even still, if he has a good idea or even a bad idea that he thinks is good, he should be taking that idea to the appropriate people to make those changes rather than just making those changes himself.

Valez is a friend of the city manager. This was another concern of mine. He made a mistake hiring his friend rather than being more objective and hiring someone he wasn't close to, because when Valez begins to screw up, then will his friend the city manager have the bolz to turn around and fire him?