Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pueblo Cops . . Problem There?

Default Pueblo Cops . . Problem There?

This morning's paper (and last night's Council Meeting) brought to the surface something that's been discussed quite a few times in this forum . . The Pueblo Police Force and it's direction under Billings.

Turns out that a lot of the indicators brought up in this forum were correct. There are problems, and in some cases, pretty severe . .

One, that I haven't commented on, but was a good indicator, was the drama surrounding the female Officer who has been in two on duty hassles with male officers, one, where she accused a male officer of putting her in a Headlock during a disagreement that turned physical. Turns out, she was the one applying the headlock. The second one involved a verbal fight with another officer who was being investigated for "Brutality" or excessive force (depends on how and where you read it). In both cases, PPD investigators seemed to be taking her side, at least in press releases, until last week where she was arrested for "Domestic Violence and Burglary" . . I'd think her attitude is in need of changing, or she has a severe problem . .

However, the attitude that seems to be displayed with fellow officers is an extension of how many officers deal with the public in their daily duties.

While all this is going on in Pueblo, Colorado Springs Police are offering up reasons why the civilian population has developed a declining respect for the Police. That has resulted in far more police related shootings and assaults on policemen.

Could one take these indicators to mean perhaps the Police aren't "earning" that respect anymore?
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I have to admit this report is another "black eye" to the City of Pueblo. I do know that we have many fine officers. However, I also know we have a few officers that refuse to join the ranks of professional behavior. Isn't the City Manager responsible for the performance of the Police Chief? Sick leave abuse and damage to patrol cars while on patrol should be manageable events. I know my business was probably guilty of some false security alarms due to a malfunction. It was my underrstanding that the Police were charging a fine for a false alarm. I have mixed feelings about The Dare program. I have known one of the officers who have worked in the program for years and I have a great deal of respect for him. I guess some type of measurement has been applied as to the effectiveness of such a program. Yet I wonder how many kids have been touched in a positive way through this type of effort. I suspect officers might be better utilized, but there may be more of an unmeasurable positive influence in the relationship of the police and the young people of our community. Finally, it worries me that the morale of our officers is so low and that they are complaining about a lack of overall leadership. It seems we are always debating about the salaries of our professional people. The salaries are going up and the results are going down. I hope that a new leader can supply the needed leadership and raise the morale of the entire department. Pueblo will be able to detect the difference.

The salaries are going up and the results are going down.
    That is pretty much the situation of the whole Public Sector today. The Unionized "Civil Servant" has ceased to be either. (Civil or Servant)

Thus, those represented by other than their designated supervisors (meaning union representation) believe themselves to be literally "Fireproof" . .

I believe that is the reason that the lady cop (Dickless Tracy) feels that she can do pretty d*mned much anything she wants to, and if not, she's going to sue . . and the Union may also.

On the rest of it, I think Jim Billings kind of ignored the soap opera going on below him. Now he's gone and people, including those who also never asked (City Management) are starting to look under the table . . and it's a mess!

What I think is so amusing about this is that the Colorado Springs Gadzette readers seem to be having a field day with this.

Why is it any concern of Colorado Springs that it would be printed in that paper, especially considering that CSPD is wrought with far more administrative problems (to include some serious corruption) than PPD ever had.

And to make matters worse an ex CPSD administrator, one who left the department in shame, is now running this department. Things aren't looking so good here, I'm sorry. Valez is a great person - I really liked him when I knew him, but I think he was a poor choice for PPD.

As for the police in Colorado Springs not earning respect any more - they seem to think they can just demand it.

Honestly, I don't think this is even about the two cities, but the Police in most of the country today.

Look at Denver's cops. There's a problem that finally got uncovered up there. It started with two Denver Cops beating Hell out of a kid who was with somebody that had "Crossed" a cop and got the hell beat out of him. Probably the only thing that got those two cops fired is that the kid they beat up was, 1) in Video Tape and 2) another Cop's kid. All the testimony from the other Denver Cops seen in the video couldn't over ride what was on that video. But they tried!

Since then, there has been five or six fired for associated reasons. And all of them are suing Denver for their jobs back, through the Police Union.

It should chill the average citizen, to know, that if he (or She) is stopped by a cop, for almost anything, how you are treated and what is done to you is entirely up to how the cop feels at that moment? If there is something about you that p*sses that Cop off, anything from a taser, a beating, to being shot and killed could be on the menu. And if you didn't have a weapon, the Cop will likely loan you one once you're down . .

Remember, it's his story against yours if you live. And what upstanding Judge would believe you over the "Sworn Testimony" of the Cop and his peers? After all, unless there's video being shot that the cops don't know about, he and his associates will lie till Hell freezes over. Matter of fact, if you're dead, one or more might put a bullet or two in the carcass to prove that it was a defensible and "righteous" shoot! Anything else and they'll argue that you were doing whatever it takes to get them off the hook.

In New York City, in the last ten years there have been 17 investigations, and over 100 Cops fired, some even Jailed. It's become a joke to the citizens who view all the cops as crooks and bribe takers.

And then they wonder where the "Respect" due them has gone!

The problem is, though, that had it not been for that video the matter likely would have been shrugged off, which puts a burdon on the citizens. Not everyone carries a camera around with them where ever they go - the public is still at a disadvantage.

And it's not only cops - there are other authoritative agencies in the state that act like this, too - like Children's Protective Services. It's amazing the lies they'll tell! It's all good if they intervene on a family who truly needs it, but what's up with all the lying?

In the case of the video, it came from a "Security Camera" on a building across the street. Chances are if you or a friend has an operating video camera operating and is seen by a (The) Cop, he'll arrest you for that. I don't know for sure what the law is around here, but some states actually have laws that make taking pictures or videos of Police illegal. Dunno why if they aren't doing something wrong.

As for other agencies "Exercising" their powers, so to speak. It's all about Authority and who has the right to challenge it . . Back to the Unionized "Police State" . . a quick check will tell you that all those people in that agency are members of AFSCME . . Can't question their authority, and can't get 'em fired!

Illegal to video tape a cop doing something wrong? I think that sounds like an issue for the United States Supreme Court.

I do think the US has become a police state. Sorry to have to say that, but that's probably our biggest problem - the people have no common sense and neither do many of the cops.

This has been going on for the last 50 or more years. Been to alot of community meeting where the public still remembers being in the elavetor and geeting the snot kicked out of them. It suprised me about the leadership problem I really like Jim. but like i said the community dont trust the Pueblo police Dept never have and never will.
    Buster

In today's Chieftain certain city council members state that they have been aware of the problems within the police department for some time, in some cases over a year, but they have said or done nothing? They are part of the problem, what are they elected to do anyway?