Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF in the news.

New Car Smell has been known to cause people to have migraines and seizures. Something to do with the chemicals. This is the first time I've heard of someone just passing out from them, though. Wow!
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Aw com'on, that's bullpuckey . . a quick search didn't find another suit or criminal action blaming "New Car Smell" on either headaches, accidents or fatalities of any kind . . Granted, there are drying and curing aromas in all new cars, but none of them are dense (or toxic) enough to cause the things that they are being blamed for in Vail . . And REMEMBER, this is VAIL, home of a concentration of people lacking almost 100% common sense . . Just read their paper . . .

The guy had "Sleep Apnea" and probably shouldn't have been driving at all. I know several people who have been diagnosed with "Sleep Apnea" and are doing great under medication. However two of them cannot yet drive a car, because, they can (and do) go to sleep anytime, anywhere, doing anything . . .

And that's probably what happened, simply put . . But we always have to blame anything (or anyone) else for our accidental (and otherwise) misdeeds . . And his Lawyer is very Imaginative . . Perhaps his name is Stephen King . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Silver Member

All I know is that I would certainly be sleep deprived, if I had to make payments on a 2010 Mercedes.

New car smell makes me leave the scene of an accident?

Year, right. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nattering View Post
    All I know is that I would certainly be sleep deprived, if I had to make payments on a 2010 Mercedes.
    Owning a Mercedes is no big deal . . Maintaining "The World's Best Engineered Automobile" is . .

Been there done that . .

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    Owning a Mercedes is no big deal . . Maintaining "The World's Best Engineered Automobile" is . .

Been there done that . .
    I apologize in advance for hijacking this thread, but here goes:

First thing is to Large: I have read hundreds of your posts by now. I never saw anything that would have given me a clue that you would have owned a Mercedes. Just sayin, it surprised me.

I have heard horror stories about maintaining Mercedes. My son had a Volvo for a few years that I think might have set some records. I think Volvo is a bad one too.

Interestingly, I owned several 70's vintage New Yorkers starting in 1974 and I was still driving a '76 New Yorker until 1991. The '70's were bad years for Chrysler financially, and I'm sure the reliability of those New Yorkers wasn't rated very high. However, my feeling is mixed. I never had to do any work on the engine or transmission (leaky seals, of course, were ignored). So, everything that needed repair, I could do myself with limited mechanic skills. I'll admit to replacing the alternator, fuel pump, water pump and carb on almost every one of them I owned. I think two had to have the radiators overhauled. The idea was that with a family of more than two kids, the New Yorkers were a lot cheaper to buy than an SUV.

Then, in 1991 I got an Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (just about the same size as Chevy Chase's Family Truckster). That was the best car I ever owned. Unfortunately, after a few years it needed a new starter and I wasn't comfortable tackling that. The guy I took it to, installed it with the wrong amount of spacers and the starter knocked some teeth off of the fly wheel. That eventually resulted in more and more teeth breaking and eventually it wouldn't start. I moved on, but have never had the equivalent of the Custom Cruiser. It's the only rear wheel drive car I ever drove that had such good traction, that it was very difficult to spin doughnuts in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nattering View Post
    I apologize in advance for hijacking this thread, but here goes:

My son had a Volvo for a few years that I think might have set some records. I think Volvo is a bad one too.
    Rule of thumb: Never own a car that is named after a woman's personal parts.

280 SEL . . They're nice cars, really nice, but you can't buy anything for one anyplace but the dealership . . They're engineered so well no one makes any aftermarket stuff for 'em . . well. . Sparkplugs, Windshield Wiper Blades and Light Bulbs, but that's it . .

And in the case of the 280, it was spec'd with spark plugs that fell into the same range as a Fuel Dragster . . Autobahn plugs, for cruising at 100 mph . . On a cold, wet Colorado day, if it wasn't warmed up good before you drove it, the ****ed thing would load up and foul the plugs within two blocks of the house (or wherever you started from) . . I'd put hotter plugs in it, and then the next time it went to be serviced, they'd put the cold racing plugs in again . . And . . You couldn't tell a "Mercedes Technician" anything because all of them were direct cousins of Adolph . . .

And . . Anyone else one would trust to work on their German jewel was just as elitist and overbearing as those who worked on them at the dealership . . if not moreso . .

Well, I could go on, but I won't . .

As for Volvo . . Dunno, My Daughter and her Husband bought a new one last year (Her christmas Present) and picked it up at the factory, which was with some celebration, I guess . . Then went on a drive around Northern Europe on a "Shake Down Run" so to speak . . then sent it home to Colorado . . And, as far as I know, they've had no trouble at all with it . . But then, I'm under the impression that a Volvo is just a really, really high priced Ford . . or am I wrong?

Kinda like the Jag-u-ar, Hmmm?