Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow! Lookit alla the police chief candidates this year!

I think I remember that meeting - I watched it on tv because I was in the hospital giving birth. What a fiasco! No one wanted to offer any solutions, they just wanted to blame the police for everything and not accept any responsibility for themselves or their behavior.

I'll never forget the one woman blaming the police for killing her son - who was being chased by police and killed when he ran into an intersection (apparently without looking) and was hit by a car as a result. She speculated that the only reason her poor innocent son ran into that intersection was because he was being chased by police without cause, and that he was running from the police because he didn't want to go to prison. Again.

Again??? So the police are the bad guys because her son was a criminal?

While I have seen a few incidents here in Pueblo where I think the police could have handled a situation better, those incidents are all very minor and still worked out for the better. But I've seen things elsewhere that cause PPD to look like a bunch of angels. Seriously I don't think PPD is all that bad, I like them and think they do a pretty good job for the most part. I lived in an area of town once upon a time where I saw the police have to respond to the community I lived in several times a night. One time they responded to the wrong address and while doing their police thing at first (attitude and all) they never assaulted the people, and the tension didn't mount. In fact they all (the people at the wrong address and the police) ended up cracking jokes with each other.

And this is the one that gets me - I was driving down the street with my baby daughter strapped into the back seat (I was driving a mini-van with tinted windows) and was pulled over real close to South High. The police officer carefully approaches my vehicle, takes one look at me and says, "oh." So naturally I had to ask. "Is everything okay, officer?" Turns out that a robbery had just happened in the vicinity and my vehicle matched the description of the vehicle used in the robbery. Wow! So without further adeu he let me go and I was back on my merry way.

Fast forward to this year, I'm reading the Colorado Springs Gazette on line and see a story about a man from Denver suing CSPD for stopping him, pulling him out of his car, beating the frick out of him and tasering him repeatedly. His crime? He matched the description of a robbery suspect who, an hour or so before hand, had been arrested elsewhere.

And the cops are making these remarks in the G's comments justifying police behavior because the guy looked like a robbery suspect.

Good golly miss molly! I'm glad I wasn't in Colorado Springs when I got pulled over that day with my baby in the back seat! That might have happened to me, too, and what would have happened to my little baby that I had in the car with me?

I thank God that the police officer who pulled me over was courteous to me. And I thank that officer's mother for raising him right, too.

I like that this department seems to have the ability to separate the criminal element from the non criminal element. They take pride in their work. I've read about a few mistakes they've made, I know of the cases where there was question about when they fired at someone - I've even questioned a few, myself. But it's not like it's a habit with them - especially when comparing this department to other departments. They may mess up once in a while, but it's not a blatant daily occurrence. Our police don't appear, to me, to be a bunch of bullies like some other departments I know, and I really hope we can keep it that way.

This is what I'd like to tell our City Manager.
    Last edited by Sandra; 12-04-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

It's Pacheco's decision, but if a Council member or two have a problem with a candidate, he's gonna be off the list. Pacheco negotiated several resignations of staff because of Council complaints. He cut people that Dave Galli wouldn't cut.
    Andy's the safest choice. Competent, down-to-earth, liked and respected within the department, tough as need be. Gutsy too. He's the one who puts on the bomb suit and pokes the box when a mystery package is reported.

No bet's on Andy . . know him, respect him, like him . . but . . He 's gonna retire sooner . . or later. My bet's on sooner, whether he gets the position or not . . Andy's no spring chicken and My bet is this . . IF he gets the job it'll either kill him or run him off in a New York minute . . One, he's not much of a Politician, kinda calls 'em as he see's 'em (which we know won't work with the batch of Prima donnas on the Council) . . Two, retiring on a Chief's salary is a bunch better than a Major . .

My bet's still on Coons . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

What's the reason your bet is on Coons? Is that the one you like best for the job, or is there some other reason?

Just curious.
    Opinions expressed by me are mine only and are not in any way, shape, or form representative of the Pueblo Chieftain or Pueblo Community Forums.

Grapevine . . . .

and a hunch . . .

Well - I've read up on Harris County SO and I do have a couple of concerns about what I've read about that department, but I also looked the man's FB up and while I couldn't see his profile, I did see his picture and he looks like an incredibly nice guy. The pic that was in the Chieftain and the one on his FB profile show good countenance - he appears to be personable.

The other pics in the Chieftain - except for Rod - they all look businesslike.

Rod looks jolly and all - but I have no trust whatsoever for any CSPD person at all and they can thank themselves for that. Almost every day the G is reporting yet more CSPD abuse.

PS - whoever is chosen, I hope they join us here on the forum. Wouldn't that be nice?

Probably not . . most Contemporary Cops are Control Freaks . .

I just thought it would be a good way for them to see a little bit of what's on the minds of some of the people in the community. Another way to get to know us.

Heh, heh, for the most part, a buncha Geezers and Conservatives . . If a Police Chief got along up here, instead of a gun, he'd be carrying a rope with a hangman's noose on one end of it!

And using it frequently!