Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Wow! Lookit alla the police chief candidates this year!

Now accepting applications for City Corruption Manager. Has an interesting ring to it.

I think Velez is a great hire. Good, honest cop. Smart. Tough. Respected. Just like Chief Billings, in those respects. Velez knows where the PPD is, inevitably, headed - it has to become a Big City PD, and it's got all the ingredients (due, in great part, to Billings).

Through no fault of his own, I don't believe Chief Billings could further transform the PPD; his work is done. Very few outsiders could come in and not be resented. Velez can, and will take the PPD to the next level.

If he's so good and honest, why did he lie about the evidence being destroyed, though? He allegedly sent a department wide email about it then months later told the press he knew nothing about it.

That bothers me. I always thought Luis was a good guy, but after hearing about that, I'm beginning to wonder, and I'd like more answers.

It sounds, from the Chieftain, like he got the job because he was a friend of our City Manager, and that, IMHO, is WRONG WRONG WRONG! That's conflictual, and under the circumstances I think Pacheco made a very bad move. It wreaks of "good ol' boy", and that's the same attitude that corrupted Colorado Springs. Do we really want that here?

Something isn't right about this picture.

Velez can, and will take the PPD to the next level.
    The next level of what?! Colorado Springs is as corrupt as corrupt can be - and he was a leader of that corrupt department. How do we know some of that corruption won't follow him down here?

Again, I like Luis, but I think placing him in this job was a bad move all things considered. Just poor business all the way around.

And the idea of Kramer (former City Manager of Colorado Springs - another extremely corrupt player in the game) being one of the people hired by the city to help critique the department is yet another bad move on the part of this city.

Colorado Springs City Government for years has become increasingly corrupt and the people of that city are largely afraid of their city government and police. They have no trust whatsoever in their city leadership - and when Kramer was leading them there was zero trust in that city for their leadership.

Involving the likes of Kramer and anyone from CSPD is a bad and dangerous move for Pueblo because it will eventually lead to Pueblo developing the same fear and lack of trust for our city government that Colorado Springs has for theirs.

Not a good move for Pueblo. I always thought this city was worth bragging about, but if this trend continues, I'll be sorry that I moved here. I really don't want that to happen.
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-28-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Kramer's not corrupt, and neither is the City of Colorado Springs. There are plenty of poorly run and corrupt city governments in the U.S.; Colorado Springs doesn't have that reputation. Kramer was not only a fine City Manager, but probably the best Chief the CSPD had in the past 30 years.

Citizens weren't afraid of Kramer - he was very well liked, and knew how to interact with the public better than most bureaucrats. (Same with Velez, as you've seen for yourself - it was a quality Chief Munger didn't have; Munger had everything else.)

Near the end of his tenure as Chief, Kramer was getting pretty heavily recruited by other cities. Council made it clear to Jim Mullen (a truly excellent City Manager for the Springs) that he needed to hang on to Kramer. I think it was clear to several on Council that Mullen wouldn't be there forever, and that Kramer was already the leading candidate for replacing him.

I've worked fairly closely to 5 or 6 city managers, and have worked directly for 4. Pacheco, far and away, is the most responsive to poor performance - if you're not doing the job (and not doing it aggressively), you will find yourself resigning soon. He was ruthless in this respect. It would be entirely uncharacteristic of him to hire someone based on friendship.

Pacheco's actually a pretty amazing young man, to grasp the job of City Manager as well as he has at such a young age. He's a native, so I don't know if he'll consider moving on in a few years. But he'd be in high demand, and I won't be surprised to see him running a Phoenix or Dallas by the time he decides to hang 'em up.

In the interest of disclosure, I work with none of these people. Beyond that, I remain with Loren in the witless protection program.
    Last edited by west4567; 01-29-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Colorado Springs IS corrupt. They're as corrupt as corrupt can be - and I can personally attest to that, having been on the receiving end of some of that corruption myself.

Kramer was a lousy city manager who caused the people of the city to lose confidence in him and the city both - that is easily reflected in the attitude of the city even today, and by the articles in the news at the time he was "in office".

Colorado Springs Police got to the point where they were committing crimes against the people - I was one of those - and then it would all just get swept under the rug - no apologies, no paying for the damage, nothing. In fact I was even called a liar when I went to admin to report that the police literally broke into my home, without a warrant, without probable cause, and AFTER I told them to leave. In the process they caused structural damage to my home and scared the living crap out of my children. They actually pulled that stunt on four different occasions, two of those times I was not even at home when it happened.

I won't go into all of the details, but I'm a law abiding citizen who seems to have several run ins with CSPD for some strange reason - coming to my house wanting to search it, but not saying why or what they're looking for. Isn't that just a little bit strange? Not to mention that one time when I was away from the property and my teenager was babysitting, a cop just comes in and takes it upon himself to take pictures of my home. My daughter called me on my cell phone and I told her to put him on the phone - I demanded to know why he was there and why he was taking pictures, then told him to leave my house.

Funny, there was no record of his being there or of those pictures.

There is case after case of CSPD breaking into people's homes - in one case it was an alleged welfare check. The police found no one home, but they took the home's surveillance equipment into evidence. For a welfare check? And on what grounds? It was really because the surveillance equipment captured the officers breaking and entering and they were tampering with the evidence by removing it. It was destroyed in the evidence fiasco a few short weeks later.

CSPD is well known for bullying Colorado Springers - there has been case after case published in the Colorado Springs Gazette and the CSIndy, too. And look how they treated Doug Bruce just last year - circulating memos targeting him for engaging in his Constitutional right to circulate petitions.

Let's not forget the case where the police pulled a handicapped woman out of her car by the hair then lied about it. I could tell you story after story of citizens who have been wrongly accused of things, had families torn apart, and more all because of lies told by CSPD officers. Who does a person call when the police are acting like criminals? When the cops are busting into your home and beating you up in front of your children, calling 911 doesn't help.

Whenever a citizen stands up to CSPD the city always backs CSPD up, hands down.

And remember the two cops who were caught cheating and falsifying documents concerning traffic tickets? They made it look like they wrote more tickets than they really did. How were they disciplined? With an early retirement and full bennies.

The citizens of Colorado Springs are afraid of their own police department and have no trust, whatsoever, in their city government or the police. And you want to try to tell me they aren't corrupt?

Have you ever even lived there? West, I like you, but you haven't got a clue.

Concerning Pacheco - I was impressed with him until I read that he hired his friend to be interim police chief. That just comes across like the "good ol' boy" system, and that's not cool or good city business - especially considering his "no confidence" vote coming from Colorado Springs, so I'm rethinking my opinion of his leadership.

Granted, Colorado Springs is corrupt and inept, but a no-confidence vote is still a no confidence vote, and hiring someone for such a position after such a thing isn't usually the smartest thing to do.

Again, nothing personal against Luis - I like him, but he did mess up, and if he messed up that badly once, he can do it again, so I am not so sure I trust him for that position. I hope he will prove me wrong, I really do. But if he doesn't, I'll be right here to loudly proclaim that I told you so. Deal?

BTW - LOL@ the witless protection program! Maybe I need to join...
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-29-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Corruption? There's always corruption, but it's the scale that becomes a problem. No government can be 100% transparent. To be so would impede operation of many departments and functions of that government.

And, as the size of the Government grows, so goes the degree of corruption. You can't think of a city having the same proportion of corruption the federal Government does . . What goes on in the Federal government on a given day would run the City of Pueblo for probably a year . .

In a city the size of Pueblo, there's always a little corruption, but it's called other things. And it's often in the gray areas between legal and "Not So Much" . . but as long as it does no more than greases the skids of the day to day operations, nothing much is said or done . . Most often it's done to expedite an issue(s) that would otherwise use up time and staff to get it done at a 100% transparent methodology . .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate of governmental corruption, but having been there, done that, I realize that you'll never eliminate all of it unless you change whole bureaucracies frequently . . Which would be neither practical or possible . .

On Mr. Jerry Pacheco . . A mixed bag . . He's come up from Planning, which gives him both actual and political knowledge . . but . . on several issues, he's stubbed his toe and sooner or later those issues will come back to haunt him, big time . . .

One is already rearing it's ugly head in less than a year after he led the Council into it against learned advice from some quarters . . And that's Pueblo Motorsports park . . Council,(with Mr Pacheco in attendance) stated publicly that PMP had lost $75k in their operation last year, under the auspices of Darrel Contreras and his company "Solutions, Inc" . . But, according to other company sources, the operating profit was $44k to the good . . and this, according to those who were in attendance, was noted by Council (and Jerry) but apparently ignored . . Which in itself isn't good and is going to lead to Hurried and potentially bad (again) decisions by both his Office and that of Council . . .

However, the reason, I state that it will comeback and haunt him, is that he went with the option of making PMP an Enterprise Operation of the City, rather than heeding the advice of several knowledgable people and opting for an independent lessor gained by an open RFB. There are a couple more of those Skeletons in the City Government's Closets, and they'll be popping out in the next year or so . . Sooner if the economy continues to be slow and revenues don't increase . .

Remember, while the City Manager is obliged to do the Council's bidding, it's also his job to give them transparent and knowledgable options to decide upon . . he hasn't done too well on several issues . . The PPD Chief search is just one "Little" Faux Paus . . He didn't have his ducks inna row or his chickens in the henhouse on this one . . And, unless he's deaf and dumb, he knew it was coming long before he was even made the "Interim" City Mgr . .

The overall problem with hiring or "mustanging" Bureaucrats into full management positions is simply that they only know what they know, and what they have been doing for those who were their bosses , but nothing about being an open minded executive . . which is the problem we have in 95% of our governmental agencies . . Bureaucrats, not "Executives" . . They don't understand a Profit and Loss Sheet, because that's foreign to their whole concept of operations . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Pueblo has its own issues, but nothing like Colorado Springs. There's really no comparison.

I agree that Pacheco has done a good job as City Manager, overall, but this police issue is not a good mark on the record.