Thread: Object to the Military, again . .

Default Object to the Military, again . .

Yesterday, on the Pueblo County Courthouse steps, Democratic whiner Sal Pace, Lonesome Ed vigil, as well as Groper McKinley, objected, once again to anything that the military might do to train their people to do what they have to do in similar geographic areas we might send them to . . Just for ink, I guess . .

The Air Force has discussed a plan to fly C-130's (Hercules Transports) and VC-22's in low level flights over Southern Colorado and in some mountainous areas on the front range . .

What's to object? They already do it with the Herky birds . . The 302nd Colorado Reserves fly out of Pete in the Springs and are always doing touch and gos, and other low level flight over and around Pueblo, day and night . .

A week ago last Thursday, at around 1735, while we were driving South on I-25, just South of Fountain, a C-130J came over us at around 500 feet, banked left and flew East at the same altitude or a little less, finally pulling up about 1500 feet five miles East of the Fountain Creek . .

No big thing . . I saw no cows or horses having anxiety attacks, stampeding or even looking up . . In all probability, I and a few others, who are kinda interested in flying objects, noticed . . most others just went on their way, not paying any mind . . as did my wife, who commented only, that: "He's a little lower than the usual." . .

More political "Not one Acre" BS . . The only time these whiners want the Military is when they need to be dug out of a blizzard and their cows fed or when they need air support for a wildfire . . Then, and only then do they want (not appreciate) the "Olive Drab Saviours" . . But while they must train someplace . . it's "Not over my forty acres!" . .

Typical NIMBYs . . .

On the other side of the coin . . In the interest of the safety of the crews, one might question it . . way back when, in the late 70's, the Air Force had an electronic bombing range at the La Junta Air Base . . The SAC had a mission of sneaking up on the target in any manner they could, often flying up the Arkansas River Channel, 500-1000 feet off the deck and "popping up" at or over Las Animas so that the radar wouldn't see them on approach . . Few natives complained . . And a B-52H is a hell of a lot noiser than any Herky Bird or the Ospreys . .

But this came to a halt when a B-52H crashed after hitting a low bluff just Southeast of La Junta, in the early morning dark . . The safety of the low level flights was called into question . .

Do you 'spose I ought to get up in arms and try to prevent those noisy Flight For Life Helicopters that constantly buzz over my house coming in from the rural areas?

After all, I don't need one . . yet . .
    Last edited by large; 09-26-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

The flights would be forbidden over towns, airfields and wilderness areas, Air Force officials have said.
    Can someone tell me what areas are left after those exceptions? I guess they can only fly down the I25 corrodor between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

According to a press release published in today's paper, the area involved goes from the Utah State line into the Southeastern part of the state, although the map published earlier showed all but the far North and West part of Colorado as their intended training areas . .

Not that it matters. 688 flights over an area that big and over a year's time is spreading the chances that most people will never see either an Osprey or a Herky Bird . . let alone have their lives interrupted by one . . That's less than two flights a day . . someplace . .

As I said, The 302d out of Pete does a lot of training and low level ops over and around Pueblo, and every once inna while I wonder if they didn't take the A/C unit off the roof on a low pass . . But then, as often as twice a day, the Flight for Life bird comes over at approach altitude and certain ones have a hell of a chop . . Kinda noisy, but, like the Herky birds, just another necessity of life . . No worse than my neighbor's Harley . .

As for the tree huggers that worry about the impact upon the Wildlife . . they're wasting their time and effort . . Even at 1000 feet, even a slow (250-300mph) aircraft has come and gone before a human can get a real good look . . so do you think an Elk or an Antelope really cares? Probably not . .

Hell They been flying therw the hill for years and years going and coming to norad. With all of the bull that we have to deal with. This should not be a problem

After reading a couple of letters to the Editor this morning, I have to say that apparently part of the population living Southeast of the Front Range are clearly paranoid . . Say "Military" and conspiracies begin to pop up . .

A fellow from Walsh tells us this is "Harassment" to make the ranchers "Abandon" their farms and ranches . . Just an "Ongoing Program to frighten the land owners away" . . . and "build private hunting preserves for the top brass in the pentagon" . . Tell us you're just kidding, Earl . . .

Also he spoke of spoke of C-130s driving herds of animals off cliffs . . and to quote; "Any that isn't killed or crippled will be run until death's exhaustion" . .

And . . he is already complaining about the "Sonic booms" these low flying aircraft will create . . More dis-information . . We're dealing with two birds here, neither of which can get close to supersonic flight . .

I'm going to guess that he hasn't read much about the proposed plan before he ran into the streets screaming about the "Sky is falling!" . . again . . or would that be . . still . . ?

Silver Member

For a number of years, my folks lived in Penrose. Every once in awhile, the Army and Air Force would have joint maneuvers at Fort Carson. The fighters flight path would have them at low altitude, looping back to Fort Carson from the south, just about over my folks house. The whole thing was thoroughly entertaining to me. Same thing when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels are flying around my Arvada house when they are performing for a nearby air show. I guess, I'm more easily entertained than most.

Yeah, during that time, I was into Four Wheeling, and one afternoon we were all headed for Medano Pass road and going up the long hill this side of Wetmore, just as two F-16s came by on a low level run into South Carson . . We could actually look DOWN into the cockpits as they flew by . .

Kewl . . .

Before that, the CO ANG out of Buckley had A-7s and was often on the same mission, playing war with the GI's at Carson . . I was building a house out on the North end of Boggs Flats and every so often a couple of them would come over at about 300 feet . . makes the hair stand up on your neck just before they get there and the noise would kinda lift you off the ground for a split second . . but, contrary to what the guy in the paper said, I never saw a single dead critter in their wakes . . nary a Buffalo (yep, I said a Buffalo), Antelope or Hereford Heifer would even look up, let alone run . .

As for being entertained easily . . probably not, just that you pay attention and appreciate those things . . I'm a "Plane Watcher", and if you pay attention to the skies you see a lot of neat things . . Usta be, every Saturday morning, about 10, if you paid attention, the KC passed over Pueblo at about 15-18,000 feet . . and it was a treat to see those "little Birds" literally materialize behind it, fuel up, one at a time and then leave all at once, being replaced by another four or five . . I guess to a lot of other people that would be just like going to the gas station and watching housewives fuel up their vans . .

Again, in this morning's Chieftain, State Rep. Wes McKinley, D-Walsh and Ed Vigil, D-Fort Garland, are bleating about the Air Force "terrorizing Southern Colorado Residents and their livestock".

Quoting Mr. (term used loosely) McKinley, "We've had livestock stampede. We've had trail fences torn down, There's big concern about wildlife being damaged by these LOUD SONIC BOOMS during nesting times."

Now, if there was really a problem, one would think that they could bring out facts . . Apparently they have few if any. None of the aircraft the Air Force is planning on using in the low level (that they haven't started yet) training flights are capable of going super sonic . . Thus, there are NO SONIC BOOMS!

Now, I may not call McKinley a Liar, but I sure as hell doubt his word!

Add to that, depending upon the rancher you talk to, if he's anti Army, he has "Stampedes", but if he doesn't care one way or another, his livestock "doesn't seem to pay much attention" . . and here we'd be discussing current training flights by the 302d AF Reserve (C-130J's) out of Pete Field in the Springs . .

So what we have here are Politicians using Bullsh*t about their Bulls to gain political note, nothing more . .

Just another liberal's NIMBY attitude showing . . They want the Government's money, but they don't want the government's presence. And they see it as easy votes . .