Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The City's spending agenda

Default The City's spending agenda

Last night the frivolus seven divied up the money they haven't got yet, and that we'll pay for, for the rest of our lives . . Roughly 30% tacked onto our light bills . .

And what did they decide to do with it? Are they going to fix the streets? Pay down any debt? Take care of infrastructure that needs repair?

Nope! They're gonna build BALLFIELDS . . Monuments to Ray Aguliera and Larry Atencio! As well as spend $4.5* Million remodeling City Hall at the request of Jerry Pacheco . . ($1.5 M of that is supposed to be paid by "Grants" yet to be identified or applied for)

In the case of the Ballfields, Atencio wanted $1.75 M to build softball fields on the East Side, which he says will bring in "Millions" . . and Packrat wants $1.2 M for PPAL football fields at lake Minnequa . . lotta money for Grass that we'll be obliged to water and take care of . . same kind of grass that we are having trouble affording in our city parks (?)

It was brought up, that they "HAD" to put up the money for the PPAL Fields because the Broncos had already put up a $250k "Grant" that had been spent . . so they had to put up another $1.2 M? Why not just give the Broncos back their $250K?

And in regards to Mr. Atencio's million dollar softball field(s), if it will bring in "Millions" why not draw up a business plan and go to a bank?

The problem with all this glamorous eyewash and monuments for sitting councilmen is this . . For about 15 years the alley that services the block I live on has resembled either a dust bowl, or a mud hole, depending upon the weather. I poured a concrete slab adjacent to the alley, and immediately was charged for the drainage . . except . . the alley drained onto my slab . . The public works people have attempted to remedy the problem several times but in every case, they're limited to an hour of grading, because? They have NO MONEY, or equipment, or people . .

And I know that I'm not the only person in this city being inconvienanced and charged for things and services I'm not receiving . . And based on that theory, shouldn't we take care of the things our City Charter defines and until it's in the City Charter, shouldn't we leave the making of Millions to private enterprise and collect the revenues that those millions should bring the City . . ?

A final note. In the last four years or so, the City Government has poormouthed every time infrasructure needs have been brought up. They have said, very consistently, that they have no money. BUT, if you drive the length of South Main Street you'd never know it!
    Last edited by large; 08-17-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Thats Pueblo at its best large. No common sence and egos who don't have any knowledge of what Pueblo really needs. What is the unemployment stats in Pueblo 10% or better but who cares about the small people. Need another ballfield like They need a Ymca that people can not afford to go to.

No, Buster, it's the mentality of this country. And our politicians are a lot like Voyeurs, they don't have any money, but they'll certainly spend someone else's . .

The City council has hit on a novel idea . . Because of TABOR, they can't raise taxes without voter permission . . They know that ain't gonna happen . . and they can only "FEE" us so much . . but now, they sell water, annex the property, and allow the utilities companies to build generating plants for others, and they spend the up front money . . not bothering to tell their constituents that it's going to come back to them in the form of massively raised rates . . forever . . .

Heh, heh . . Two comments . .

Last Sunday the Pueblo Chieftain ran the post I started the thread with . . And Monday morning, about 10, the city road grader was making passes in my alley . . Now, they had just been here about a month ago, and usually, if we're lucky, we'll see the grader once a year . . so, howcome they came back so quick? Did I touch a nerve? But, in this case, stirring dirt doesn't solve a drainage problem!

On the second . . this morning's paper recapped last night's City Council meeting, which reflected, again, what the first post (and Letter to the Editor) was all about . . Packrat, Atencio, Garcia and the Union Stooge Nawrocki proved, beyond a doubt, that they are less interested in having a functional city operation than they are with grandiose spending projects that buy them votes in their districts . . Nothing more than Pork on a small scale . . These guys are just like the people in Congress who need replacing . . and we should . .

Yes Large, I really wish that some of that give away money might have gone to asphalt.Seems all we have is PORK around here.

Kinda ludricous to build a deluxe Ballfield and then can't get to it because of the bad streets . . .

But . . "They will Make Millions" --Larry Atencio, City Council President

Front page article on . . "We don't have any money to do the City's Business" . . sez City Council . .

But nobody wanted to go back and address the spending of money they could have used on infrastructure, on frivolous stuff that they can "Make Millions" on . . or . . name those things after themselves . . whatever . .

Apparently the spend, spend, spend bug reaches clear down to the local Politicians in local offices . . . Do these people run their personal financal lives like this?

Jerry, show us YOUR personal checkbook . . .

Big Town Hall meeting dealing with "Code infractions and how to deal with them" . .

After an hour of explaination of why we can't enforce all those codes because we don't have any money (familiar cry, I have to say) and the lame "But, We're interested and trying", they gave 75 people the floor for about 30 minutes.

Bottom line is . . they want to "Train" citizens to be "Code Enforcers" for nothing . .

Which, from past experience, will just allow "badge Heavy" citizens to go among us, and in all probability, as it has been in the past, a way to get even with the Neighbor or "Guy down the block" who "Just P*sses us off" . . drop a nickel on him for weeds today, the old pickup he's got in his backyard next week, and the hot rod pieces he has on the side of his garage the week after that . .

One fellow was bold enough to recommend the use of the "Black hills Gold Mine' to pay for needed city services instead of building "Ball Fields that will make us Millions"! as well as keep some of it for the unpredictable "Rainy Day" that invariably creates new fiscal criseses.

It was all met with a healthy attitude of "Council doesn't really give a Sh*t" . . . and Packrat left before the citizens had what little say they were given . . His "Don't give a sh*tter" was even more prevalent . .

More of "We don't have the Money" . . .

Last night the Humane Society went before the spendaholics (City Council) and asked for an increase to keep their operation legal and humane . .

Packrat (Ray Aguilera), Bessemer's City Councilman, said the revenues are down and he didn't think the city could afford those increases in funds from the city. Isn't this the guy who just got about a million and a half for another park?

Apparently Council has failed to grasp (collectively) that when you build something this year, you have to maintain and support it next year and so on . . and just as the price of Gasoline and Bread tend to rise, so does the cost of maintaining all of those grand ideas.

Because . . Contrary to Larry Autencio's pitch for more city owned (and maintained) ball fields, no government enterprise will generate profit . . or, at least none seem to have at this point in time!

And . . The Humane Society also asked the council to raise fees. $2 license fee increase per year on neutered animals and $5 on "unaltered" animals. On a 3 year license the increase would be $3 across the board . . I've got an argument with the powers that be on the "Licensing FEES" . . Those aren't FEES, they're TAXES! They would get a greater degree of compliance if they would allow the license to be a one time fee per animal. So many people view the Pueblo Animal Licensing Law to be a tax on their Dog or Cat . . which is exactly what it is . .

And here's one I'd vote for, an increase in both boarding fees and impound (Doggie Jail) fees. Perhaps those animal (Dog, specifically) owners who have neither fenced yards or bother to train their animals to stay in the yard would take better care of their dogs or at the outset, decide they have no place to put a puppy that will grow into a 65 pound bundle of energy.

Default The City just saved a bundle . .

So to speak . . . We had, what they (and Colorado Springs) termed as a "Surprise" Snow storm . . and after an afternoon of video highlights on TV of automobiles and pickups (Many of them 4WD) crashing into one another on slick streets, the Springs finally put out the gravel trucks . .

Pueblo? Not so much . . . One would have thought that, at the least, the major intersections in town might have had at least a smidgeon of gravel . . But Nooooooo . . Not a drop. Only the streets that were State Highways had any attempt of snow removal or graveling, and that, (what there was of it) was done by the state plows . .

More of the same old BS . . "We have no money to spend on the things the government is chartered for, because we have to think of the New Parks and entitlements"

It's not that I really had anyplace to go that I couldn't, it was just that I noticed the lack of gravel as I did what I had to do last Friday . . And there are people out there that need all the help they can get when it gets slick ! That much was very evident . .