Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: The City's spending agenda

Lessee, it costs $1 million dollars a year to keep a fire station at the Airport. Up until the Air Force and DoD decided to cancel their $554,000 subsidy (or payment) to Pueblo, everything was fine. So now, they're talking about "Closing" that Fire Station. Which brings forth the question, "Is It Needed, and if it is, what Non Profit (or "Entitlement") will live instead, and is that "Non-Profit needed as badly?"

I realize that there's a lot of good programs that are supported by City Grants and subsidies, but again, there's Police, Fire and Infrastructure. That's what the Government is basically designed to provide. And, if you notice, we're short on the Police and the Infrastructure, I dunno about the Fire, but I'd bet we've got holes in that department also. But, if you've noticed, the upper management people all got good raises this year . . Even though "We don't have any money!"

Is this another one of those "We don't have enough money to pay the rent, so we'll go to Cripple Creek instead"?

Perhaps I'm being hypercritical here, but when you see and hear things like this and statements like that of Sandy Daff, who said that giving Gay Partners health insurance "Kind of made up for the state not recognizing Gay Marriage or Civil Unions"

Huh?
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Under the heading of "Be careful what you wish for" . . . .

Yesterday's Paper told us why the Air Force and DoD cut the $554,000 payment(s) to the Pueblo Municipal Airport (Susie's Headlines from Yesterday) . . PEDCO went out and found DOSS who is in the business of evaluating and teaching potential Air Force Pilots basic flight training. Part of that, of course, is the fleet of single engine "Bug Smashers' that flies out of the Pueblo Airport and does "Touch n' Go's" at both Pueblo and the AFA airfield.

But apparently, the Air Force saw some sort of conflict between the 302nd's Herky birds and those little Bug Smashers with Noobies in 'em . . Safety, maybe, or Politics perhaps, but it really doesn't make a lotta sense, because in all my years of observing, I've never seen much conflict of air traffic at the Airport. At least comparable to most other Airports with the same amount of runway and apron space . .

ButwotthehelldoIknow?

The wisdom of the new liberal City Council is starting to look pretty shaky . . . Under the heading of "Wotthehellweretheythinking?" they voted to give (8 theoretical) gay employees health insurance for their "Partners" . . And now . . it just ain't $60k anymore. This afternoon enough names on petitions were filed to force either nullification of the ordnance or a citywide election to ask voters if they think it's a good idea . . at an additional unknown but big expense . .

Add to that, no city employee has asked (yet) to enroll his/her partner in the program . . so what was the agenda(s) of the councilpersons who dreamed this one up . . ?

Another thing no one seems to have asked (or figured out) and that pertains to my last post . . . How come the Guv'mint (read "U.S.Air Force) REALLY cancelled that $554,000+ annual subsidy to the airport?

Reason I ask, is simple . . While they blamed it on the congestion caused by the Doss Flight School, Doss only flies 7 to 4 for the most part and about half the touch n' go's are done out of the AFA'S Falcon Field in the Springs.

And, the 302nd Flies, most of the time, at night and on weekends . .

So, it it the first steps of Obama's "Sequestration"?

Or, is it the backlash from the "Anti-Air Force" position by the front range community when the Air Force wanted to use some of the fair state for training flights of C-130J's and VC-22's?

Who did the city aggravate on this one?

Well, the post above is literally a "Moot point" . . According to the KOAATV News tonight, the petitions were 17 signatures short, mostly because two or three groups didn't have the correct Notorization on them . .

You'd think that people could get their ducks inna row on things like that . .

Sooo, the city gets to "Waste" about $60 grand on people who haven't shown up yet . . and prove that they're truly "Community organizers" of the ilk of their Messiah . .

The paper said today that over 160 signatures were not even counted because of a problem with a date discrepancy on the notary stamp on the form. Um, Ms. Dutcher, whose side are you on on this one? I smell lawsuit.
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office." ~Will Rogers

Here's the Technicality . . The presenter of the particular Petition(s) had signed it (them) on one day and the Notary had notarized it the next. This sets up a possibility that the presenter wasn't seen signing the forms by the notary and may not have been the actual signer . . That's why we have Notarys . . They are licensed "Witnesses" so to speak.

However, Ms. Esgar need not get to overjoyed about all this because, I'm betting, if there's inequalities, where the gays are eligible for benefits that hetrosexuals aren't, there'll be lawsuits and the city cannot afford that.

Hell, according to Council, they can't afford a Bus ticket . . . So it dazzles me that they'd go looking to spend the initial $58,000, let alone either settlements from suits or a special election.

And now they're looking to raid the voter approved and earmarked PEDCO piggy bank that the half cent sales tax creates. Typical Democrats. They cannot understand the idea that the trick to "Balancing the Budget" is to quit giving other people's money away!

They bailed on PMP, and I'm betting they gobbled up the $304k they had budgeted for 2013. And they're looking for some sugar daddy to come and give them $50 to $75k per year to take it over and make it profitable . .

Stupidly, all they really needed to do was cut some of the staff (they had 20 employees out there last year) and schedule with, rather than against, the closest competing tracks . . Friday Nights do pretty well and they'd do better to have their June, July and August Saturday events in the afternoon and evening when it's a little cooler. They'd get more spectators. The track would have shown a profit had it not written off the whole $815k in one lump sum last year. ButwotthehelldoIknow about how Sam Azad keeps his books . .

OK, here's how (appareently) the city's health benefit works . . .

A "Line Employee" (someone other than supervisory or managerial) get's 78% of their total health premium (United Health Care) paid by the city, doesn't matter whether you have just the primary employee or an employee and his/her family. The "Non-Line" Employee gets 75% paid for by the city, same co-insured program . .

What they won't (or don't) tell us is whether they'll do the same for a couple cohabitating Hetrosexually as they are wont to do for the preverts . . .
    Last edited by large; 12-01-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Here ya go . . The City is touting their "Code Enforcement" . . (from Susie: City touts code enforcement record)

Sometime back, three mattresses, the Basket part of a Safeway Buggy, and a tire appeared in the alley one morning. Now, if you know anything about the "Trash hauling Business", you know that your Trash guy is going to charge you from $25 to $50 per mattress to haul them away. A tire is someplace between $1 and $10 depending upon your service. Soooo, even if you have a trash guy coming by once a week, economics would tell those who would game the system that somebody else ought to pay for your trash . . So you'd dump it where it would be an inconvenience to someone else . . And there are people who do that everyday in Pueblo . . .

So, I called Code Enforcement . . Line was busy (for over three hours). So then, I called "Public Works", and the nice lady there gave me the personal cell phone number of the Code Enforcement Director, Karen Wilson. I left a message, and she called me back in a very timely manner. She was very nice about the complaint, but explained that although the city did have an ordnance against dumping on public property, she had little money to enforce the code violations and no money to send anyone out to pick that trash up.

While I harbor no Ill Will against Ms Wilson, I certainly hope the City isn't paying an employee $50k a year to answer a telephone and tell us that there's nothing she can do about the problem . .

Was this little Press Release one of those "Warm and touchy" moments the City Council and Bureaucracy visits upon us to help us sleep well at night?

It's gotta be because they don't have money to enforce anything that won't bring in a $100 plus fine from somebody . . Generally the poor bastard whose property the trash was dumped on . .