Thread: Haiti-Charity Organizations

Silver Member

Default Haiti-Charity Organizations

If you don't already know about them, Charity Navigator (Website) is a non-profit that gives ratings to charity organizations. They do not rank charities, the ratings are from 1 to 4 stars. I've recently seen their CEO Ken Berger interviewed on both FOX and CNN. There is a wealth of information on their website on a large number of organizations.

The home page currently has "Help Survivors of the Earthquake in Haiti" at the top with a radio button titled "See the List of Charities." That will take you to a specific listing of those organizations involved in assistance and relief for the earthquake.

Their ratings are mostly based on organizational efficiency (i.e. project expenses vs. administrative and fund raising plus efficiency of fund raising) and on organizational capacity (program expenses growth, expenses growth and working capital ratio).

The ratings do not try to assess actual benefits provided, which would be subjective and largely based on opinion. Nonetheless, I think the ratings would be useful, if you're trying to sort out a charity to give to from the hundreds available. I think the website would be very useful to take a look at before you select and organization.

A couple notable 4-star organizations they highlight, that caught my interest:

Save The Children:

Save the Children, founded in 1932, is the leading independent organization creating real and lasting change for children in need in the United States and around the world. Save the Children's unique self-help approach to relief, recovery and ongoing development has nurtured the seeds of hope for millions of children and their families. Our programs focus on the areas of: economic opportunities; education; emergencies; protection; health; hunger and malnutrition; and U.S. literacy and nutrition. We work in more than 50 countries, including the United States. We serve 48 million children and many others working to save and improve children's lives, including parents, community members, local organizations and government agencies.
    An interesting fact about demographics: Ages 0-14 in Haiti constitute 42% of the population.

Doctors Without Borders, USA:

Doctors Without Borders, USA (DWB-USA) was founded in 1990 in New York City to raise funds, create awareness, recruit field staff, and advocate with the United Nations and US government on humanitarian concerns. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international medical humanitarian organization that provides aid in nearly 60 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, exclusion from health care, or natural disasters. In 2007, MSF-USA raised $152.1 million and sent 200 aid workers to work overseas.
    Also of note is that the American Red Cross is a 3-star rated organization. They appear to get penalized for a low efficiency in fund raising and for a low working capital ratio of 0.49 years.

As usual, be aware of fraudulent organizations and fraudulent emails. The FBI is already tracking a number of these. I think it's best to research the organization and know a fair amount about them before you give.

I would like to hear what you think about their website and what your opinions are on the various charities that would be involved with the earthquake in Haiti.
    Last edited by Bob Nattering; 01-16-2010 at 08:04 AM.

I won't comment on the websites, but I would like to say that I finally decided to check out Haiti.

I don't usually like to read about devastation because I know how I will be affected by it. I end up on guilt trips because of how much worse off someone else is than I.

The devastation in Haiti is worse than I thought it would be, and the pictures that I saw tonight brought me to tears.

I thank God for keeping us safe here where we are, and I feel very badly for what the people of Haiti are going through. I feel sad for them beyond words.

I have nothing to offer them in the way of assistance, all I can offer are my prayers for comfort and peace. That's all I have.

Here we think we have problems, I saw pictures of parking lots full of bodies, and read a remark on the Gazette that they're moving bodies with fork lifts.

I read that tens of thousands are estimated dead, and many more STILL trapped in rubble - 5 days after the earthquake hit, some thought to still be alive.

Imagine being trapped in rubble for days. How horrifying!