Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cordova-- Its not my fault, again, again

Well, in both Nunez' and Cordova's situations with spousal or domestic abuse, it paints a not so pretty picture of a couple of cowards . . or bullies . .

You might debate the necessity for a man to smack around or degrade a woman, but I've never seen it justified if the man could move his feet in another direction. And while I've always felt that a woman was stupid for going back after being hit the first time, that's no excuse.

And apparently in Cordova's case, once wasn't enough, he's a "serial" abuser, as well as, possibly, a drunk . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Default Heckle and Jeckle

There sure a lot of similarities, though I doubt if either bird was a woman beater:

Understand the Chieftain has dug into the free cars and gas for our Public Servants-- Abuse by the 3 Commissioners has brought all this to the fore

Well, so far, the news sources have dug a hole . . and found . . Gravel . . .

Basically . . more questions than answers, but no hard evidence of (?)criminal activity . . .

From what we know right now . . A very loose and sloppy operation . .

two letters to Editor in last Wednesday papers that may have escaped much public notice

County cars

Thanks for (publishing) the information on the county cars. I was so relieved that the county employees aren't taking the chance of getting in a wreck with newer cars.

Don Dever

Pueblo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commissioners, too

This is in regard to the recent article on the county commissioners. It is unfortunate that the incident that occurred 11 years ago has reared its ugly head again. I in no way contacted Dorothy Butcher about anything and I resent the fact that she is using me to mud-sling. As for John Cordova, its called Karma.

Imogene Algien

Pueblo
    Still trying to figure out Ms Algien who had her tires slashed and beer dumped on her by our County Commissioner - she thinks Cordova deserves the bad Karma but blames the messenger - Dorothy Butcher for bringing the Truth out.
    Regards the cars, I understand Channel 5 is doing Part II the Pueblo County cars Thursday night 7/16. I hear it is a moving experience. Next they might want to think about the liability to the taxpayers if our drinking Commissioner hits someone after he makes his appointed rounds to and from the Golf Course.

Cars II- The Movie is coming soon! Starring our favorite County Commissioners Mo, Larry & Curly

Commissioner take-home vehicle miles are inaccurate, costs to taxpayers adding up
    Story By: James Jarman
    Source: KOAA

Published Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:47 PM MDT
    Updated Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:49 PM MDT

The numbers don't add up when it comes to giving each Pueblo County Commissioner their own take-home county vehicles.

At the July 9th County Commission public work session, a county report was presented that made it appear it's cheaper to give the 3 commissioners take-home cars, rather than have them use their own cars and then reimburse them for miles driven on county business.

The numbers presented in the meeting used the county's entire fleet of cars, with no specifics about the commissioners' cars.

The meeting was a response to questions raised in our undercover investigation in June. Based on insider tips, we found 2 commissioners using their government cars for personal business far more than public business.

When we asked Commissioner Nunez last month if he keeps track of his personal miles, as the IRS requires, "There isn't, I don't have any accounting on it," he told News First Investigates.

Records from the County Budget & Finance Office show someone was writing down some personal mileage for him. They were marking down 12.4 miles a day, 5 days a week. It's for round trips from his home to the office.

It's the same thing for Commissioner Cordova, his roundtrips to the office are 8.8 miles, marked down for 5 days a week. But for both of them, those round trips were also marked down on 2 days each that we followed them and neither of them even went to the office.
    Neither commissioner, nor the County Budget & Finance Director returned our calls.

County records show, after we raised questions, the next monthly mileage report for Nunez nearly doubled the amount of personal miles to 452.

As far as work miles, during the 10 days we watched him and Cordova, they both drove the government cars on obviously work-related business only a few blocks each. The rest was personal use, including Nunez stopping by his bar every day, going to the gym and dropping a friend off at a tire shop.

Cordova drove a few more blocks than Nunez, and even though it's debatable, we're even considering a campaign announcement for a city council candidate -- work-related. Far more often, however, he too used the car for his own personal business.

County records show, he also marked down some extra personal miles -- beyond work to home and back -- since he started in office this year. Commissioner Jeff Chostner's mileage records also show he marked down personal miles beyond the round trips between home and the office.

By our calculations, using the odometer readings on their county cars, if the commissioners drove their own cars and if the taxpayers reimbursed them for "every" mile, including all their personal miles, it would be cheaper than giving them each a take-home car.

Based on the county's numbers, the commissioners would each get reimbursed roughly $5,000 dollars a year. That puts them in line, but still a couple thousand over what the 2 most reimbursed commissioners in neighboring El Paso County are on pace to get this year.
    For Pueblo taxpayers the total mileage reimbursement cost over 3 years would be $47,000. Under the current policy, the taxpayers have already spent $88,486 on the 3 county cars over 3 years.

As for neighboring El Paso County, commissioners there don't take home county cars. They get reimbursed and a few don't ask for much more than a couple thousand dollars a year. Commissioner Wayne Williams never asks for reimbursement because he thinks the $87,000 dollar yearly salary taxpayers give each commissioner should cover it.

"I think, given that, that I don't need to be nickel and diming the taxpayer for, you know, $2 for a visit to this meeting, or something else along that line," Williams told News first Investigates, "I think it's just part of what we do as a commissioner."

And then the County obsfucates by involving the entire County Fleet in the Mix . . and telling the newspaper that it's cheaper to assign fleet vehicles to the employees than to reimburse them for using their personal vehicles . . Well, yeah, it is, because those employees on call at all times of the day, or Supervisors (who literally live in their vehicles) aren't part of the argument or discussion.

The Investigation was concerning 3, that's THREE, vehicles, used by the County Commissioners, 24/7, and how necessary the benefit really is . . and, of course, where the users go in those vehicles . . A point, apparently, the Commissioners and the Bureaucrats have missed . . Or are ducking!

The county will soon learn that James Jarman is more tenacious than a junk yard dog and this obfuscation (love that word) is not going away, especially when two of the county commissioners are not smart enough to reach back and find their a$$ with both hands and will continue to rub the publics nose in their mess.
    Last edited by Loren Swelk; 07-18-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: sp

Here are the video links to Channel 5 investigative reports
    Cars:
    http://managekoaa.worldnow.com/globa...o&rnd=86984027

Part time Commissioners: golfing, drinking & driving

http://managekoaa.worldnow.com/globa...o&rnd=60223740

Another thing one might note . . and it hasn't come up yet (But I betcha it will) is that ugly word, "Racism" . .

How come Jeff Chostner isn't being picked on by Jarman? Y'know why? Chostner's County vehicle sits idle in his driveway most of the time . . He doesn't use it . .

On the other hand, Nunez and Cordova are gonna look around when things tighten up some more and play the "Race" Card . . 'Cause, it's gonna be all they have left . .

And . . they aren't smart enough to leave the cars sit . .