Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordova-- Its not my fault, again, again

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Swelk View Post
    Commissioners getting $87,000 a year for part time hours? A News First Undercover Investigation

Story By: James Jarman
    Source: KOAA
    Published Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
    Updated Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
    Short work days, long lunches and personal business in public cars. A few current and former Pueblo County employees claim that's a typical day for 2 of the commissioners.
    They each get $87,000 a year and a car paid for by the taxpayers, but our sources claim the commissioners are getting full time pay for part time work.
    In an undercover investigation, we followed up on those complaints by following the commissioners.
    During the 10 weekdays we picked at random, we followed Commissioner John Cordova and Commissioner Anthony Nunez for 5 days each, 10 hours a day.
    We videotaped them using the taxpayer's car to go golfing, driving it to do work for a private business and even taking it on vacation with a friend. Those are just a few of the things we saw them do.
    Nope, I didn't miss it.

For what each one is making per year, we could have in place 2 more commissioner's since the median income for Pueblo (county) is roughly $39,000 annually. ...That otta 'buy' us some good folks who will WORK. Any takers??
    ~->Intuitive Guide<-~

"On another day, Cordova spent the morning playing a round of golf at a city owned golf course. At 11:40 am he capped it off with a couple of beers at the clubhouse.
    Then at 12:45 pm he left in the county car and went to the private Eagle's Lodge. Cordova says he doesn't think he drank any alcohol at the lodge and also says "I don't think 1 or 2 beers has ever affected me.""
    Well our much beloved Commissioner John B Cordova made headlines again. The written version is amazing but if you watch the video I have never seen anyone so obviously lying caught on tape before. Body language (head nodding when mouth was moving the other direction), flushed and inarticulate responses, shifty eyes- the whole thing is amazing.
    OK so how many drinks do you suppose- Tombstone Cordova had before he slid behind the wheels paid for by you & I. Tombstone got his name not from being cold stone sober but from his prowess in digging up voters better than Mayor Daley.

lol @ digging up better than Mayor Daley. :D
    ~->Intuitive Guide<-~

Watching the video on the KOAA website and seeing the on camera response by Cordova and Nunez tells me two two things, (1) They truly believe they are above reproach and are devoting 110% to serving the public, and (2) they both are as stupid as a load of bricks. Embarassing.

I've already made the assumption (posted several times on this and other forums) that they fall under #2 . . and although the video wasn't necessarily the clincher, it's getting closer . . . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Both Cordova and Nunez terms are up Jan 2013. The recourse for what has become an untenable situation is 1) they resign - not likely- Ray Aguilera is quoted as they are untouchable - so if they believe that why should they-- you can not embarrass these guys 2) recall - not likely- recall requires signatures of 25% of the votes for that office in last election -- the vote was swelled by the Obama factor and the Roselawn Cemetery vote-- so it is a very big number -- Debbie Rose in losing got more votes than Kirk Taylor who won the Sheriff's office 2 years ago and Debbie ran 10,000 votes ahead of McCain or 3) reform county government-- possible-- a home rule petition will take 5% of voters to initiate- Democrats as well as Republicans may sign on to this - since it takes some of the personality factors out of it. Dorothy Butcher has written a letter to the Chieftain Editor calling for salary limitations on Commissioners and changing their status to what they really are part time political hacks and put in play a full time professional County Manager. Debbie Rose is in favor of reform as well -

Dorothy Butcher
    101 Encino Drive
    Pueblo, Co. 81005

Letter to the Editor
    It was a disappointment to view and read the James Jarmon report by Channel 5/30 on the performance of the county commissioners for 10 weekdays picked at random, 5 days each, 10 hours a day. It appears that the commissioners are exhausting themselves by hanging out in the taverns, playing golf and drinking beer, cutting weeds, going to the gym and driving the county car to the airport to go to Las Vegas with a friend passenger. It must be tough to do all of that on a $100,000.00 a year job which includes the cost of their pension and health care benefits plus a county credit card and new vehicle. . Both told Jarmon, legally, they only have to show up for 2 meetings a week.
    What emerges in my mind as a question is this behavior a violation of the public trust and what level of ethics and integrity do we as Puebloans and taxpayer citizens expect from our elected public officials? Are we wiling to just hand over the money and the reins without accountability to elected officials?
    The competency, fidelity, skills, trust and ethics of our public officials is not a choice but an urgent priority in this economic environment. Our ability to compete with other communities’ depends on the solidity of our elected officials. They should make a strong contribution to the well being of the community as a whole and recognize that their reputation becomes the face of this community. Public officials have a responsibility to faithfully and honestly discharge their duties without misappropriating funds or government property.
    I question whether or not we need to add to the county policy that drinking during working hours or while operating a county vehicle is prohibited for all employees, including directors, managers, department heads and elected officials. Perhaps there is not an awareness that it is inappropriate to drink and drive a county vehicle. The taxpayers are paying for new vehicles for each elected commissioner and many of their directors. As taxpayers we pay the insurance, buy the gas, tires, batteries, and provide for all maintenance.
    This is the team that stood shoulder to shoulder with the “positive candidate” declaring their competence, performance, work ethic and team effort should be rewarded by re-election. Citizens are questioning have they bungled, wasted, and used county resources inappropriately. The commissioners hiring and promotion practices have been under fire by job applicants, current and past employees and other citizens who question who is related to who , and perceive that when new jobs are created they are filled by family and friends. Many examples have been cited that give that appearance.
    One health worker called me regarding the reported events said,” it doesn’t matter if I have to work on weekends or nights and call outs, I still have to be at my job during the day work hours and I am not allowed to conduct my personal business during daily work hours and I sure cannot go out for a beer. When I go fishing or out to eat or pick up my wife I have to take my own car and I drive my car to and from work every day just like the hundreds of other employees that work here.” I pay my own health insurance and car insurance and pay for my own gas and I do not make a $100,000.00 a year even though I help save lives.”
    I am convinced that there is a need to have a probing and thoughtful discussion to officially change our county commissioners to part time. Should we save the taxpayers money by banning personal county vehicles for commissioners the same as we do for state legislators? Shall we treat the county commissioners the same as state legislators and ban the practice of issuing county credit cards? They should have the same privileges as state legislators and pay for their own lunches, dinners and entertainment of self, family and friends. And the next time they buy an ad in a newspaper, magazine, program or other communication that simply promotes them let them pay for it out of their own pockets. The news media can take care of the legitimate reporting.
    When travel is necessary they should use a pool car, track their legitimate expenses, and voucher them with a receipt for reimbursement. That system worked fine when I worked in the private sector and in the public sector as a city council representative and a state representative. Let the accountability begin. The commissioners were moving forward to hire a professional county manager and that makes sense. They can then attend their 2 meetings a week and take care of their personal business, in their personal cars on what ever day and hour they wish, and we can deem them part time like legislators.
    As taxpayers would we accept a referendum to make commissioners part time and pay them $30,000.00 a year and cap that pay to remain the same as a state legislator. We can help them set their salaries as part time and pay them pro rata by law. We no longer need to saddle them or the taxpayers with the $100,000.00 salary and benefit package.
    Let me close by asking should we seriously consider having a professional county manager administer the business of the county with board of commissioners. The part time status and reduced commissioner salaries would allow us to transfer funds to the manager position while still employing three commissioners. The commissioners are not victims here so if and when they begin to complain save your empathy for the families and children that are unemployed and no longer have vehicles and credit cards to tide them over.
    I am posting Dorothy Butcher's letter to the Editor - The Chieftain has not posted it

You go Dorothy..!!!

Just wondering . . Do you suppose Dorothy had a clue about any of this, and how it was done, when she announced that after serving in the State Assembly and being term limited, she was going to run for the office "Tombstone" ended up with?

Kind of one of those "Any rock that is handy" deals? After all, if it gets to the point that "Tombstone's" starting to be like the fish and politician's saying, she might be able to end up as "Second Choice" and it'll be her turn to use or abuse the system . .

Suppose? Simply because, before anything else, Dorothy is a Politician. In the State assembly, she did some good . . some not so . . but was always on the issue . . I think the local Dems not only screwed the Citizens with Cordova, but got in a whack at Dorothy . .

butwotthehelldoIknow?
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Cordova had poured beer over her and slapped her during an argument at a Lake Avenue tavern.
    Tombstone Cordova has proven that he can not only drink and drive Taxpayer's vehicles- he has found other uses for beer in his busy schedule. Now that some of the background issues are coming out- Maybe, the circumstances surrounding why Cordova was fired from the Pueblo County Roads & Bridges Department will be revealed.