Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordova-- Its not my fault, again, again

Default Cordova-- Its not my fault, again, again

Commissioner admits mistake during election
    Story By: David Ortiviz
    Source: KOAA

Published Mon Apr 06, 2009, 06:11 PM MDT

A judge has fined a Pueblo County Commissioner for allegedly accepting illegal campaign contributions during the 2008 election.---

"As soon as we learned about it we took the necessary steps to remedy it. So you know it was just a mistake that volunteers will do," said John Cordova.
    So it is all the volunteers fault.
    But the testimony at the Secretary of State's hearing was that Cordova personally solicited nearly all of the Corporate funds from companies who are doing business with Pueblo County.
    Moreover, the fines were for not promptly returning the Corporate money on the candidate committee side or the excessive Corporate money on the political committee side. Cordova did not return the money until the General Election was nearly over. He essentially used the illegal money to overwhelm Dorothy Butcher in the Primary spending and to fund his campaign until the Union money came in for the General.
    Cordova also received a large in kind donation from a corporation in the primary which has never been disclosed by Cordova or the corporation which is required to disclose under the Fair Campaign Practices Act- electioneering provisions.

Cordova is definitely not showing good leadership skills.

Two things . .

Let's see if all those volunteers (and those who might have considered being one in the future) remember this and refuse to help the thankless clod next election. (probably not)

Regarding his "leadership skills" . . he never had any, He's just a political hack . . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

DEBBIE ROSE CHAMPIONS HONEST GOVERNMENT
    Debbie Rose, Proprietor of The Beulah General Store, and last year's candidate for County Commissioner can add a new title to her name.
    Crusader for Honest Campaigning.
    County Commissioner John Cordova, on the other hand, can add a less prestigious title to his name.
    Campaign Finance Cheat.
    In a decision, handed down on the 31st of March, Administrative Law Judge Robert Spencer assessed Cordova's campaign a whopping $6375.00 fine for breaking Colorado's campaign finance laws.
    He found that his campaign committee had taken donations from Corporations in the amount of $1275. A candidate is prohibited by law from accepting corporate contributions. And he found that the golf tournament that was organized to solicit contributions took excessive amounts from corporations.
    Cordova and the committees that he organized to raise money for him, and conduct his campaign had their hand in the wrong cookie jar and took more than they should have. And they knew it. They did not return the money until Debbie Rose filed a complaint with the Secretary of State.
    John Cordova should apologize for the smears he directed at Debbie, and he should apologize to the people of Pueblo County for running a crooked campaign.
    Debbie made the complaint to the Secretary of State, she took it to court, she hired her own lawyer to press the case, and she paid for it with her own money. Her courageous actions were vindicated by the judge's decision.
    The people of Pueblo County owe Debbie Rose a vote of thanks for her tireless efforts on behalf of honesty in government.

Cordova will never apologize, he still is denying any wrong doing. He only returned the money when he was caught. As far as his job as a County Commisioner, he couldn't reach back and find his a$$ with both hands, let alone deal with public office. Let's face it, he rode the union and Hispanic vote into office and the nearly $100,000 yearly it represents. Who knows if the "Cordova Memorial Parking Lot" will ever be built, for now it is just the "Cordova Crater". Debby Rose may have done the residents of Pueblo County a favor, but it didn't affect the one person it should have.

Probably the most pathetic part of this is; Cordova will run again, and be elected again, by the same racist people who vote for a name (or a party as case may be) and not a man who neither represents them or anyone else in Pueblo County, other than the party that enables him . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Default Staying on John Cordova

If any of you in this thread have legitimate things about John Cordova (This incident is one, and the news media has given him a pass on it.) good or bad let me know. opaswearingen@hotmail.com. He needs a burr under his saddle, and we should be it.
    Also, the Pueblo County Republican Party Newsletter will be returning to active duty soon, and we hope to reach everyone in the county, not just Republicans. All of you who would like to receive it let me know via my email, and your email address will be put on our list. We will not send it out randomly.
    Cheers. Opa.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Swelk View Post
    Cordova will never apologize, he still is denying any wrong doing. He only returned the money when he was caught. As far as his job as a County Commisioner, he couldn't reach back and find his a$$ with both hands, let alone deal with public office. Let's face it, he rode the union and Hispanic vote into office and the nearly $100,000 yearly it represents. Who knows if the "Cordova Memorial Parking Lot" will ever be built, for now it is just the "Cordova Crater". Debby Rose may have done the residents of Pueblo County a favor, but it didn't affect the one person it should have.
    No, it didn't because the law has not teeth. By rights, he should have had to submit at least to another election, if not removed from office. But all the judge could to was fine him.
    Loren if you know the details of the "Parking lot," I love to hear them. My email is opaswearingen@hotmail.com. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, please just give me links. I'll follow them up myself.
    I'm planning on being the County Commissioner's burr under their saddle.
    Regards. Opa.

I'm probably not supposed to do this, but my kids will go my bail.
    Debbie Rose pushed this on her own and at her own expense. Now there is a way to help her defray her costs.
    Send a check to: Office of John Zakhem, 700 17th Street, Suite 2000, Denver, CO 80202. Make the check out to John Zakhem, and put a note with it, saying that it's to help Debbie Rose's lawyer fees. $5 - on up. Please help. Opa.

Default In Case You Missed It!!!

Commissioners getting $87,000 a year for part time hours? A News First Undercover Investigation

Story By: James Jarman
    Source: KOAA
    Published Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
    Updated Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:00 PM MDT
    Short work days, long lunches and personal business in public cars. A few current and former Pueblo County employees claim that's a typical day for 2 of the commissioners.
    They each get $87,000 a year and a car paid for by the taxpayers, but our sources claim the commissioners are getting full time pay for part time work.
    In an undercover investigation, we followed up on those complaints by following the commissioners.
    During the 10 weekdays we picked at random, we followed Commissioner John Cordova and Commissioner Anthony Nunez for 5 days each, 10 hours a day.
    We videotaped them using the taxpayer's car to go golfing, driving it to do work for a private business and even taking it on vacation with a friend. Those are just a few of the things we saw them do.
    We followed them for 100 hours, 50 hours each. By our calculations, during that time Cordova spent 10 hours on county-related work. Nunez was closer to 17 hours. Both say we followed them on days when they had a lot of lag time. "Unfortunately it wasn't when we're really quite busy," Cordova said.
    Both told us, legally, they only have to show up for 2 meetings a week. "We are required to hold 2 meetings a week and we do," said Nunez, "that's all that's required of the job." Both also say they put in many more hours, including weekends. Weekly, Nunez estimates he works 38 hours a week and sometimes more. Cordova puts his workload at 50 hours a week.
    Their work calendars have many listings for the month of May and do show a few banquets and luncheons on weekends and at night. In a couple of cases, the calendars list events on the days we followed them, but the commissioners instead were doing private work. For Cordova it was spraying weeds and picking up trash at 2 rental properties he owns. Nunez was at The Favorite Tavern, which he co-owns, for the weekly beer delivery.
    On another day, Cordova spent the morning playing a round of golf at a city owned golf course. At 11:40 am he capped it off with a couple of beers at the clubhouse.
    Then at 12:45 pm he left in the county car and went to the private Eagle's Lodge. Cordova says he doesn't think he drank any alcohol at the lodge and also says "I don't think 1 or 2 beers has ever affected me."
    At 1:34 pm he went home, where he stayed the rest of the workday.
    After spending 2.5 hours in a commission work session on another day he went home.
    Then at 11:28 am, a friend drove to his house and they took the taxpayers' car to the Colorado Springs airport. It was the start of their weekend vegas vacation.
    Cordova says they took the county car because his "needs maintenance." He did not explain why they didn't use his friends, but did say "We'll use hers next week when we go to Monument." He also says he'll pay the County back for the personal use of the car.

On the days we followed Commissioner Nunez, even though the bar he co-owns is only open twice a week, he was there everyday.
    He made sure the doors were open for the beer deliveries, we watched that happen 3 times.
    He said his co-owner couldn't do it, because the co-owner has to run the liquor store they both own.
    He also went to the gym a couple times, and was usually home or at the bar by 2:00 pm and remained there during the time we monitored him.
    We wanted to see some accounting for the personal use of the taxpayer's car, like when he uses it for his private business.
    Even though the IRS requires it, he says there isn't any documentation, other than what the finance department calculated as the mileage between his home and the county building.
    "There isn't, I don't have any accounting on it," Nunez said of the personal use beyond the trips from home to work.
    He also said he could understand the criticism if the county was in bad financial shape, "but it isn't."
    "When you look at the bottom line, as a business person, we are doing very good as commissioners here," he said.

We're still waiting for documentation showing any amount the commissioners have paid to the county for the personal use of the cars.
    We're also waiting to view any and all charges made on the commissioners' county credit cards, that includes the third commissioner, Jeff Chostner.
    You should know, we didn't receive information about Chostner not working full time, or using his county vehicle for personal business.
    The times we were at the county building, Chostner was the first one at the office and almost always still there when the other two left.

Pueblo County's a member of the group Colorado Counties Inc., an association representing county commissioners around the state.
    It's handbook states "Elected officials and public employees alike understand they are subject to significant public scrutiny, whatever their activities may involve." Short work days, long lunches and personal business in public cars. A few current and former Pueblo County employees claim that's a typical day for 2 of the commissioners.