Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YMCA suggests abstinence focus in sex education

Default YMCA suggests abstinence focus in sex education

These types of programs have been proven again and again to not work. But I did think there was an intersting comment buried in the article.

"What troubled board members were comments from Bev Samek, the districtís director of social services, who said that sex education was sporadic in the middle schools. High school students had to take it in health classes required for graduation but at the middle school level, the amount of education varied from school to school. SHE ALSO SAID THAT SEVERAL YEARS AGO, PORTIONS OF THE CURRICULUM WERE CUT TO SPEND MORE TIME PREPARING FOR STANDARDIZED STATE TESTS".

Again, research supports that abstinence only education is ineffective. If the schools are required to teach what used to be, and should be, taught at home they are way too late. Heck, they would have been too late 50 years ago. But preparing for the CSAP's should keep the kiddies out of the back seat of the family's Toyota, or so the thinking of the school's administrators go.

http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...a797385373.txt

Abstinence is a great idea, but isn't practiced well, even by those preaching it . .

My old mentor, when I was a teenager, advocated the KIYP method, but at the end of the sermon, would toss me a pack (3) of Trojans and say, "And if that doesn't seem to be the appropriate behavior at the time, use these !"

I cannot, for the life of me understand what those who advocate Abstinence, by itself, can be thinking. Either they have never had a sexual experience or refuse to comprehend the desire to reproduce that the human being is hardwired to follow . .

Talk is cheap when ole Dad is home with the shotgun and the teen aged walking erection has Dad's daughter out in the boonies . . and there are "boonies" everywhere!

My greatest objection about all this is the donating of my hard earned taxes to the teaching of this farce! Either at school or the Y . . And any parent who believes that it's those agency's jobs to teach this should be charged with neglect . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

I raised two boys and a daughter and had a first hand look at teen age hormones and I can tell you that as far as teenage boys go they are little more than a walking erection with a backpack attached.

OK, and to further the debate, just yesterday I learned this from an acclaimed Radiological Oncologist, specializing in Prostate Cancer, that:

The average healthy Male Homo Sapiens between 18 to 50 years of age has between 5 and 8 erections every night . . On average, unknown to him . . This is the "hardwiring" of the male body "practicing" and maintaining strong blood vessels in that area . . after 50, it's kind of a "use it or Lose it" deal . .

And a Teen Age Boy? One can only imagine . . but I'd guess, he doesn't really know what an erection is, until it goes down when he's about 18, s'pose?

I think promoting abstinence is an awesome idea.

It's no less a failure than any other form of birth control.

Condoms can break, and they're not too effective anyway if not used either, right?

You have to USE The method you choose in order for it to work, after all -- common sense.

So far abstinence, when used right, has resulted in fewer pregnancies and transmissions of STDs than any other form of birth control.

But like I said, as with any other method, you have to actually employ it...

and . . .

Someplace, wayyy back when, somebody said, "It takes Two to Tango" . . .

Condoms can break, and they're not too effective anyway if not used either, right?
    They work swell when they're in a wallet or glove compartment . . Heh, heh . .

But common, or any sense at all goes out the window when the clothes start to come off!

The key is to not invite things to get to the point where they might.

Stay away from petting, stay away from french kissing for too long, have a chapperone - that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    The key is to not invite things to get to the point where they might.

Stay away from petting, stay away from french kissing for too long, have a chapperone - that sort of thing.
    Oh, ya mean all those things hormone-toxic teens spend so much time avoiding?
    Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established. - George Carlin

Rest assured, if more parents went on their kids' dates, the kid would definitely be avoiding.

Then again, there's always the biggest turn off of all - reminding your teens where they came from.

Funny story -

When I was pregnant with my now 5 year old I announced my pregnancy to my then 12 year old. This is how that conversation went:

Mom: "I'm pregnant."
    Amanda: "Really? How'd that happen?"
    Mom: "Amanda, you know how that works."
    Amanda (in a tone of shock and disbelief) *gasp!* "Mom! You did that?!"

Amanda is now almost 19 years old, and - no joke - she's still a virgin.

So listen up, parents: apparently the mental picture our teens get when presented with the idea of their parents "doing it" is enough to turn them away from sex for a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Mom: "I'm pregnant."
    Amanda: "Really? How'd that happen?"
    Mom: "Amanda, you know how that works."
    Amanda (in a tone of shock and disbelief) *gasp!* "Mom! You did that?!"
    A sister had a similar experience during her reproductive cycle, but my neice's reaction to her mom's pregnancy announcement was more, "Mom! You did that with him?"
    Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established. - George Carlin