Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Thiebaut and His Merry Band of Bozos II

Default Bill Thiebaut and His Merry Band of Bozos II

What is it going to take to fire this woman? She was canned from her last job for just the very thing that is happening today. Having felony charges against a defendant dismissed twice in one year, because she fails to show up to court. The last time she blamed her cough medication and Little Bill backed her up. What will the excuse be this time? Maybe she took a wrong turn on her way to the courthouse and ended up Phil Long Saturn. Maybe Bill is bullet proof because he is a Democrat, but I still believe him to be incompetent as a district attorney, and his ability to manage people, DWI's, missed court appearances and all, will one day catch up with him.

Remember the Movie "The gang who couldn't shoot straight"?

Pretty much!
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

You are right Large, except Bill think he is playing Frederic March's part in Inherit the Wind.

can anyone toss me a bone here and tell me when what and who for some reason i must have missed it.

Here is the link. It was in Saturday's Chieftain.

http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...d225835578.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Swelk View Post
    You are right Large, except Bill think he is playing Frederic March's part in Inherit the Wind.
    Yeah, well, in his life in the eye of the public, about the only notable thing he has done is father about a jillion kids . . which ain't really a big deal, other than he has raised them all . . But then that's what you're supposed to do . . .

No cookie there!

He is somewhat like Packrat though, don't get between him and an interview, you could be trampled . .

Nahhh, she's a scatterbrain who can't ever be where she's supposed to be on time . . This wasn't her first (or even second) barbeque . . .

Judges are a little sensitive about any lawyer showing up late once, and they get downright snotty about repeat performances . .

OK, after looking at that link, I have questions:

1. The article says she was tardy. Just how tardy was she?
    2. Why were charges dropped in a case like this instead of either held over until the prosecuter arrived or continued?
    3. The Chieftain says, However, in response to Mullens' missed court date and the surrounding controversy, the district attorney's office adopted a new system of tracking prosecuting attorneys' schedules to guarantee their timely appearance in court. Mullens' scheduled appearance on Wednesday apparently fell through the cracks of that fail-safe. I'm sorry, I must be missing something here. Doesn't Mullins work alongside any other prosecutors who could have at least been there to get the ball rolling in her absence? Or doesn't the DA's office employ enough deputy DA's to be more efficient?

Concerning the latest fiasco, the Chieftain writes, "However, in response to Mullens' missed court date and the surrounding controversy, the district attorney's office adopted a new system of tracking prosecuting attorneys' schedules to guarantee their timely appearance in court. Mullens' scheduled appearance on Wednesday apparently fell through the cracks of that fail-safe."

OK, this is another place where I see incompetence. I'm sorry, but to throw out such a serious case for tardiness is an endangerment to the public. Not to mention the waste of taxpayers dollars.

I do happen to know that DAs and Defenders do have tight schedules and often face scheduling conflicts where they are demanded by two different judges to be in their courtrooms at the same durned time, which I think is just ridiculous. I can't count how many times I've seen that. Or there isn't enough time between cases to get from one courtroom to the other let alone being able to stop and pee in between.

Was something along those lines the problem this time around? If so, you can't blame Mullins.

The Chieftain also writes, "Lee Hawke, district attorney in Huerfano and Las Animas counties, told commissioners in those counties in 2005 that he had terminated Mullens because District Judge Claude Appel dismissed 20 cases she was handling because of speedy trial issues. Defendants are entitled to a trial within six months of entering a plea of not-guilty." I hardly think a 20 minute tardy interferes with this...lol...

Anyway, judges need to stop dismissing so many cases, especially the dangerous ones and offer a wee bit of leniency towards the prosecutors, it's impossible for someone to be in two places at the same time.

PLUS - and this really is unfair - if it's the defense that is late, they often begin to proceed anyway (especially when it comes to family court, and I don't mean divorce I mean parents who have lost their kids to social services), so what's wrong with this picture?

PLUS - and this really is unfair - if it's the defense that is late, they often begin to proceed anyway (especially when it comes to family court, and I don't mean divorce I mean parents who have lost their kids to social services), so what's wrong with this picture?
    IF . . the Prosecution isn't present, there's no one to present the charges. Gosh, Sandra, with your previous experience you should have gotten that . . and in criminal cases, IF the defense doesn't show, a continuance is sought and a warrant is issued if it's a no show on the part of the defendant. In civil court, if the defendant or defense doesn't show, judgement goes to the Plaintiff, and vice versa . .

In Mullen's case, she's a habitually tardy . . According to a previous incident where the defendant was dismissed, Thiebault refiled the charges and got a conviction, I believe.

I also believe that the dismissals are the Court's pressure on Thiebault to get rid of her . . apparently she's no favorite among the judges . . probably for a plethora of reasons . . (see firing of City Manager and reasons given)

IF . . the Prosecution isn't present, there's no one to present the charges. Gosh, Sandra, with your previous experience you should have gotten that . . and in criminal cases, IF the defense doesn't show, a continuance is sought and a warrant is issued if it's a no show on the part of the defendant. In civil court, if the defendant or defense doesn't show, judgement goes to the Plaintiff, and vice versa . .
    I should have clarified that my remark was actually aimed at 4th Judicial District in Colorado Springs. They have some serious issues there.

As for Mullins being habitually tardy, if it wasn't because she had to be in two courtrooms at once, or similar, then yes, she shouldn't be keeping her job.

If she's not cut out for that requirement of the field, then she should find something else to do. Maybe start a legal blog or something that she can do in her own time.

I wonder if she has a health or physical condition causing her to be tardy all the time?

One reason I work from home is that because of my health issues is that I had a "habit" of being tardy a lot, too, because I am slower than the average creature and have a difficult time keeping up with the demands of work outside my home. I'm much more productive when I'm able to set my own hours and work at my own pace, but it also means I'm not able to work in the fields I was trained in, which are medical and legal. Heck, I couldn't even keep a job at Convergys, and I loved working for them, but the dizzy spells I get kept me from being able to perform at a functional level, so I ended up resigning because I just couldn't keep up, and I have to say I've never seen a company bend over backwards to keep someone like they did for me, but sometimes no matter what someone does for you, sometimes things don't work out.

Anyway, for years I'd go from job to job to job to job because I kept getting fired for not being able to keep up. I found out later it was probably because of a fibromyalgic condition - which you all already know about.

So given that, I wonder if Mullins has any health or physical issues that are getting in her way of being able to "keep up"? Maybe she should visit a physician near her for a medical exam just to be sure.
    Last edited by Sandra; 12-16-2008 at 09:16 AM.