Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: City Council's CLOSED DOOR POLICY

Default More Vestas

I was in the Thatcher building today and noticed a huge office on the second floor that read Vestas Towers USA on the door. Boy they move fast considering the The city council approved the transaction less than 48 hours ago and the County Commissioners less than 24 hours ago. Unless of course the decision had been made much earlier in private BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and the sham vote saved for a public meeting.

Default Behind closed doors or executive session?

Perhaps this is naive, and I am obviously not in the know, but how often does Council use exec session?

Default executive sessions

The council uses the executive sessions on occasion, sometimes before during or after a regular meeting, they are bound by certain rules that an executive session can apply to, things such as legal matters, personnel issues, etc. That is not what is being levied here. It is the meetings that no one knows about, meetings that are held in secret decisions being made all without the public's knowledge.

The "Closed Doors" deal doesn't really apply to "Executive Session" . . Because of the Colorado "Sunshine Law" . .

For years, under Fred Weisbrod, a lot of arrangements and decisions were founded at a little private club called the "Bird Watchers", out on Fountain Creek . . and later when the "Bird Watchers" was closed and torn down, Patti's Restaurant, at breakfast, was a kind of meeting place for those who wanted/needed an informal but private (?) hearing with Fred and those Councilmen who Fred held close . . A hell of a lot of City business got done in those places . . and there was always an agreeable quorum of Council there, often, a couple of County Commissioners, were their approval needed . . That's pretty much how it was, and Fred made damned sure the city was looked out for, he was a very unselfish old Politician.

Now, it looks like it's going that way again, with decisions being made outside of the Council's legal domain, but very little thought about the real needs of the city, but we're strong on the gingerbread and the sleight of hand . . Thus . . "Closed Doors" . . "Under the Table" . . who knows?

We have no lead up, no proposals given publicly, no discussion and no explanations, other than . . "It was no more than a "Resolution"!"
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Default Sunshine

From what little I know about the Sunshine Laws, the deals that are being discussed here should have been specifically discussed at specific meetings, probably in exec session. Minutes would have been kept.
    Perhaps an enquiring news organization could help you ascertain (Fof I Act) if those exec sessions happened, and if not, your point of clandestine meetings gains traction. Just a thought.

artie, don't pay attention to Large and Loren Swelk. They bark at the city council on a regular basis because city council isn't asking their permission for everything they do.

From what I was able to gather from various worldwide news reports dating back to December of 1999, Vestas and Pueblo had been negotiating. In 2000 Vestas apparently decided to either put things off or wait until the time was right to proceed. I've read two different stories, one says Vestas changed it's mind and others said Vestas was waiting.

More recent world wide news reports indicate that Vestas recently decided they were ready to follow through on deals made years ago, so basically it sounds to me like these alleged closed door sessions never existed because these are things that were worked out almost a decade ago. Whether these were worked out a decade ago behind closed doors, I don't know. But, if that's the case (and I could be wrong), then it's a little late to be barking about it now, we don't even have the same Council today that we had then.

If what I've read in the news reports and news releases dating back almost 10 years is true, then this certainly debunks Large's "closed door meetings" myth.

Even so, some people just aren't happy unless they are scheming and coming up with absurd and paranoid conspiracy theories. Best to just take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Sandra; 08-28-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Default Closed Door

Thanks for your alibi Randy.

Loren Swelk wrote:
    Thanks for your alibi Randy.
    Put a sock in it, Loren. I haven't even discussed those details with him or any other council members, nor am I going to.

Vestas is probably going to be the best thing that's ever happened to Pueblo so far - have you seen this company's profile??? And here you are complaining about this? What's wrong with you?!
    Last edited by Sandra; 08-28-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Default Vestas

Sandra,
    You are so busy protecting your benefactor that you are not reading correctly. Never have I said that Vestas isn't a great find for Pueblo and that they will be great for the community. All I have said is that I am sick and tired of THIS city council making decisions behind closed doors and then pretending to vote on them in public.

Grow up, Loren!

Has it ever occurred to you to look into things to see what's really happening or if there is a reasonable explanation about them before jumping to conclusions and badmouthing people? Apparently not...

ho hum...