Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: City Council's CLOSED DOOR POLICY

Default City Council's CLOSED DOOR POLICY

When City Council passed the Resolution making Waste Connections the owner/operator of the South Side Landfill they literally clinched the likelyhood that the Trash Collection/disposal business in Pueblo would (or will) become a monopoly. but they, in their infinite wisdom, said that there wouldn't be a monopoly . . which is the publicly stated intent of Waste Connections!

And they did it, apparently without asking ANY citizen of Pueblo . . All the while assuring us that they don't do Business behind Closed Doors!

And currently, another laugh concerning, again, their "Open Doors"(?) Policy. Pueblo Motorsports Park has operated for 34 years at literally NO COST to the City of Pueblo. And while in the original agreement the City of Pueblo, more Specifically the Parks Department was to assist in maintaining the Park and it's access . . None was given.

Now, after spending taxes generated by the track, they have GIVEN the track, with no input (Again) to a company who has no idea of how to operate or promote the total operation. Not only that, they GAVE it to a company that while promising to spend a Million dollars, had problems paying their Rent Bills for using the Facility under Pueblo Motorsports inc's. management.

And they (Basically, Randy Thurston) continue to insist that NEK is going to "Invest" money in a facility that they don't own and using a "Spin Off" Front Company (Front Range Motorsports) they have set up , literally, a "Walk Away" Liability, wherein, once they have used up the facility or not lived up to their obligations, whatever they are, they can declare insolvency of FRM, and just walk away, leaving the City of Pueblo twisting in the wind.

There is outside interest from other Track Operators, both in the region and from outside, but the City Council, Randy Thurston, and Dave Galli are not interested. They have their answer, and whatever the plan or agenda is, they sure as hell aren't telling anyone about it . .

Again, I would either Challenge or welcome input or explanation from any City Council Member explaining just what NEK/FRM plans to do, and why they would spend even 75 cents on something they will never own. Having "Backdoored" information from several Council persons, I haven't been satisfied that any of the Council even understands what Pueblo Motorsports Park does, stands for or the asset that it can be . . So how is it that they can just give it away without any input from anyone who knows a damn thing about auto racing or the promotion of same.

So . . if the PMI/NEK deal wasn't done behind "CLOSED DOORS" then it was done completely UNDER THE TABLE by less than half the City Council . . and those Operators who expected a "Request For Proposal" are ready to step up and state that they too would like an explanation, I'm sure . .

After all, as I said in another thread, what happens to Pueblo's Facility affects tracks all over the country!
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Default Vestas

While we are talking about closed door policies, I find it interesting that Vestas and PEDCO announced last Friday the Vestas plant construction and the employment of 500 people +/-. Yesterday the city council voted to release 11.5 million dollars in sales tax funds to Vestas. Shouldn't this have been done in reverse order, or had a decision already been made BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and voted on in secret? I believe that neither PEDCO or Vestas would have held their dog and pony show and even had the Vestas President riding on a float in the State Fair Parade Saturday morning (a float that wasn't constructed between 3:00pm Friday and 7:00am Saturday morning). Just another example of the city council making decisions and then holding a sham vote in public.

Just another notch on th' ole Bedstead. Another screwing by the Council and we didn't even get into the heavy breathing part . .

But then, as we have seen on another thread, few understand that . .

Are you still at it, Large? City Council had nothing to do with the sale of the business, that was Zupan's doing.

I could be wrong on this, but it's my understanding from the folks in the industry that Zupan owned the business and had a contract with the city. Zupan decided to sell to Waste Connections. Since he did that the City had to create a contract, then, with the new owner.

It wasn't up to the city who to sell the landfill to, it was up to Zupan.

Because of the contract with Zupan, when Zupan sold his business, the City was bound by that conract to act on that - and if you were in that situation don't tell me you wouldn't have contracted with the new owner for your rubbish removal.

As far as not getting to the heavy breathing part - well, now maybe you know how your wives felt a time or two...

Zupan's deal was kind of like the PMI deal . . Jay Gilman resigned and PMI cancelled a contract they've had for years, willingly . . sure they did . . Wanta buy some beach at Stem Beach?

And . . . IF it was strictly between Zupan . . . and Waste Connections, why did the City Council need to pass any "Resolutions" . . and declare them a "Non-monopoly" . . to the public?

I think YOU and Randy are Bullsh*tting the folks!
    Last edited by webmaster; 08-27-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Last paragraph was inflamatory. Removed by Admin.

Stop bringing Randy into this, Large, I haven't even talked to him about this matter other than to ask him when the landfill will re-open, and how it's being closed affects the trash cleanup efforts, and at the time I asked he didn't know when it would re-open. I haven't discussed the matter with him since.

As I've already stated in my post, I spoke with other people in the industry - the trash industry - and some folks who know Zupan. I've never met him, myself, but he sounds like a really nice guy.

And . . . IF it was strictly between Zupan . . . and Waste Connections, why did the City Council need to pass any "Resolutions" . . and declare them a "Non-monopoly" . . to the public?
    Are you REALLY that thick? or are you trying to be funny? The landfill closed almost on a whim, and it pretty much put the city in a state of urgency - similar to an emergency - concerning what to do with the trash. It was the city's legal place to act on that. Do you think they should have just let it all pile up? I look at it like a kind of emergency response. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that when something like this happens SOMEONE's gotta step in, and by golly it sure wasn't you or your friends stepping up to the plate, now, was it? As I've stated several times before, the news reported that the city was under contractual obligation to step in and act, so that's what they did. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Maybe you should call your councilperson whoever that is and ask them about it?

Anyway, I'm getting just a wee bit tired of you trying to use me to get to Randy or any other City Council person. Contrary to how that pea-sized brain of yours works, I'm not in close contact with city officials for anything other than to take care of clean up committee business. I don't depend on them to do my thinking for me and they certainly don't depend on me to do their thinking for them.

As for the rest of your post, I've reported it as abusive. That kind of behavior really isn't warranted or deserved, you need to cool it.
    Last edited by Sandra; 08-27-2008 at 01:34 AM.

As for the rest of your post, I've reported it as abusive. That kind of behavior really isn't warranted or deserved, you need to cool it.
    Heh, heh, quite like "My Dog, Rover" you can dish it out but you can't take it, huh? It was your comment that led to the fitting reply . . Again, you can insult either by innuendo or directly, but Ole Queen Sandra/Lexi can't handle any reply of the same sort . . Cry me a river . .

As for the "Whim" that Zupan closed the South Landfill on . . Say What? A "Whim" . . Hardly.

Who, actually do you know, besides Thurston, in the whole mix? Do you know Mike Zupan? Or anyone who works for him? Any of his family? Or even any of his friends? probably not, or you might understand that there were several problems, some created by the city . . As well as the hail storm no one foresaw.

Nor did it put the city in any sort of "Emergency". At least not to the degree that the City council and The City Manager expressed it to be, right up to the time they declared their deal with "Waste Connections' by declaring that a monopoly wasn't possible because there was a "Competitive" Landfill nearby at Midway . . .

Council persons have been contacted and quite a few of those who have asked about the above, but have received no answer whatsoever. Those who have received an answer, found it to be either obfuscation or plain old Bullsh*t . .

In three cases, when asked about Waste Connections and their stated intent to monopolize their operation in Pueblo County, the answer was; "I have never read that!" . . apparently lots of research went into the decision . . Very similar to the same study by Nunez when voting on the Wal Mart Distribution Warehouse Issue . .

And while you can quibble about this till Hell freezes over . . nothing YOU can ever say will take the place of a valid statement from the council members themselves. They haven't made one and aren't about to!

Heh, heh, quite like "My Dog, Rover" you can dish it out
    I don't dish that kind of stuff out, Large.

Default County Action on Vestas

I see the County took action on the Vestas project yesterday. I am surprised that neither Vestas nor PEDCO had any conversations with the county prior to the Vestas announcement. (Ha) Another governmental organization making decisions BEHIND COLSED DOORS and then fooling the public by their public action on Tuesday.

Yeah, but $4 Million is chump change compared to the $33 million the City Council has put up without any voter's approval . . while telling us hard times is upon us . . they can't fix the streets, or do the things the Parks Department is supposed to do . . or for the most part, do much of anything the City Charter says they're responsible for . .

But, I suppose we're regressing back to the "Smoke Filled Room" style of government. Voters are dumb, and with the right expenditure of funds, the Politicians could get them to vote for whatever anyway . . so they just save the money and the time . .