Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What The . . ?

Default What The . . ?

So today's Chieftain had this nugget:

Published: June 08, 2008 11:17 pm

State's high court says wording of anti-abortion measure is legal
    By P. SOLOMON BANDA
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    DENVER - The Colorado Supreme Court cleared the way Tuesday for an anti-abortion group to collect signatures for a ballot measure that would define a fertilized egg as a person.
    Problem is, the Court made this ruling last fall.

The Colorado Supreme Court approved the legality of the personhood ballot wording in November.

I wonder how the "Official English" folks will handle this:

Thanks to globalization, the Allied victories in World War II, and American leadership in science and technology, English has become so successful across the world that it's escaping the boundaries of what we think it should be. In part, this is because there are fewer of us: By 2020, native speakers will make up only 15 percent of the estimated 2 billion people who will be using or learning the language. Already, most conversations in English are between nonnative speakers who use it as a lingua franca.

In China, this sort of free-form adoption of English is helped along by a shortage of native English-speaking teachers, who are hard to keep happy in rural areas for long stretches of time. An estimated 300 million Chinese roughly equivalent to the total US population read and write English but don't get enough quality spoken practice. The likely consequence of all this? In the future, more and more spoken English will sound increasingly like Chinese.

Banned

:In the future, more and more spoken English will sound increasingly like Chinese.:

i think this concept was brought up in the bladerunner book years back, but there was going to be three dominant languages merged into one.

the person-hood term is disturbing to myself.
    that along with the patents given for human dna may make for a very different future.
    a future where genetically enhanced organisms declared to have person-hood are created and owned by corporations in a war with people who are not owned or created by corporations.
    the war could probably start with the denial of water or food to the non-corporate entities.

Let me guess: the sky is falling, right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Let me guess: the sky is falling, right?
    I suppose it is relative to a change in elevation

a future where genetically enhanced organisms declared to have person-hood are created and owned by corporations in a war with people who are not owned or created by corporations.
    the war could probably start with the denial of water or food to the non-corporate entities.
    Must have just bought new video game!

or found some new 'shrooms . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    Must have just bought new video game!
    yeah its a first person shooter called "large".
    it comes with a can of spray paint and a sock.
    Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    or found some new 'shrooms . .
    water anyone?
    Last edited by none; 07-06-2008 at 09:23 AM.

It's much ado about nothing, none. Think about it.

The Irish have had their language completely taken away from them, now, 400 years later it's about to become the official language of Ireland again if it hasn't already. It's not all lost, and I believe that even if the US became Spanish, Chinese, Spanese, or japengspanfrendutchese, the native language of this land is liable to come back sooner or later, so pick a tribe and start learnin'...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    It's much ado about nothing, none. Think about it.

The Irish have had their language completely taken away from them, now, 400 years later it's about to become the official language of Ireland again if it hasn't already. It's not all lost, and I believe that even if the US became Spanish, Chinese, Spanese, or japengspanfrendutchese, the native language of this land is liable to come back sooner or later, so pick a tribe and start learnin'...
    got any euros or pesos?
    I am using those sacagawea coins also.
    I hear the yen is undervalued; is it true?

euros? pesos? How about plastic? It seems to work pretty good and I get cashback rewards in the form of -- you guessed it -- more plastic. Aint life grand?