Thread: Political Reform?

Question Political Reform?

It's difficult to sound sincere when you don't want to take a stance on something you know could negatively impact your campaign. Unfortunately, people don't seem to realize that even a person with the best intentions when they run for Governor, President, senate (or any other office in this country), have to make decisions to support/not support issues based on how it affects their campaign. If all you wanted to do was create jobs & industry for your state to make it prosperous beyond anyone’s expectations, and could care less about the rest... That's not much of a campaign. And I think the debates (if there are any) would be repetitive and uneventful.
    I'm a fairly honest person. Sure, I have my secrets in life. None of which would negatively impact anyone. I've even avoided the truth about situations. (Oh, yeah, someone hit me in a parking lot when I was at the store.) But when it comes to other people I come in contact with, I always try to be kind, courteous, helpful, and respectful. Growing up, I had a completely different idea about how the world was, and people would be. I always thought that as human beings, we were all looking out for each other. I naturally care about the well being of people whether I know them or not. And I realize that is not how other people in this great land of ours perceive things.

I know we should be looking out for ourselves first, but we're not savage beasts. We can all survive together if we work together, and stop involving petty differences to crucify each other.

I would love to one day have the opportunity to make the world an even better place for everyone, because there’s no reason we all don’t deserve happiness. Unfortunately, the only way I could possibly do that (in my opinion) is getting involved with politics. But from what I have seen of Politics, it changes people. First, you're like a box of cereal. Whether you are Republican or Democrat, and occasionally other political parties, you have a marketing staff. These are the people who tell you what to wear, when the best time during a conversation on tax reform to smile pretty, and they're the ones that are telling you what can or can't be said. (Ultimately, the person decides what he will or will not end up saying, but knowing the competition will exploit any resource to his disposal to win, it's hard to not want to listen to what you're being told if you want to win.)

How many times have we seen people get elected, and as time passes by, the issues you felt so confident would be addressed by the person, doesn't seem to be as focused on the issues you thought he was. Usually there are a few things he does, because hey... Once you're in office, that's when you need to start campaigning for the next term. You have to touch on some of the things you said you would, so you can remind people next time of all that you had done. Lying is encouraged. Why? Well you can't get the majority vote if you aren't doing what your competition is doing, and that is lying. In a Superhero context, you have to be evil to truly beat evil. You can't win without beating them, you can't beat them without joining them, If you can't beat them join them. Why is the only direction bad? You have to align your strategy along with your competition because voters across the country fall for it. That's why we buy, buy, buy. If my mother could have afforded to get my sister and I everything we desired, then she probably would have. Most parents want nothing more than to raise a child who is happy. Unfortunately, some kids sense this and use it to their advantage with emotional coercion and become very manipulative people. Often those found entering politics.

Helpfulness is hopelessness when it comes to the things I wish I could accomplish. In order to change how politics and/or campaigning are done, you have to go to the people who have been elected. They have been successful in procuring a position the current way, so why change it? It would only prove to be more difficult (depending on the changes being made) to remain in office.

They play the songs we like as a whole the most. If an office holder was honest with their constituents, and the constituents didn’t always impeach or even chastise an otherwise good leader for 1 mistake out of 1000, then maybe we would finally have peace and prosperity. Don’t immediately hate someone because they aren’t part of the party you chose to align yourself with. You should vote for the person who wants to make life better for everyone and has ideas, plans, and goals. If someone in office makes a mistake, step back and remember for a moment when you made a mistake at your job. Did you repeat that mistake? If you have children, you know they have made mistakes. You can hear about other peoples mistakes, but you are just as likely as they were to make the same one. You learn from mistakes, and the next great cereal box won’t have that wisdom. So you ask yourself, will it make a difference to get someone else in, or is it better to keep the guy who screwed up, because he learned a valuable lesson? Suddenly, you might find politicians actually meeting your expectations.

We have too many double standards, and we have too many people that insist that their way is the way it should be, and nothing anyone can say will change that. Well, these are the people who become dictators. They’re the Kings and Queens that ruled with an Iron Fist.
    So if you were to suggest campaign reform, state, federal, or both, what would such a bill or law include in your opinions?

Questions or Comments Welcome.

The government is made up by the people, of the people, and for the people. We need to seek out candidates who represent us, not themselves. Finding a candidate who will support this issue or that issue is the wrong idea. Finding one who will honestly go with what his constituents are asking of him is idealistically how it should be done.

Until Americans realize how our government is supposed to be run, it'll keep getting more and more confusing.

Finding one who will honestly go with what his constituents are asking of him is idealistically how it should be done.
    Nigh unto impossible. We constantly accuse our reps of lying when running for office. It's more of a case of "posturing' and we, the constituents assume that he said he was "going to do" whatever we think he ought to do.

First of all, he's one person, a small minority of people who all have things they want to do. To do any of them will require a simple majority at best . .

What's wrong, basically, is that most people in this country do not understand how a representative government works. "Bush lied", or so about 47% of the country believe. And this "Caused" the Iraqi Occupation. None of this is true, but that doesn't keep people from believing it . .

You see, the "people" will not make an effort to Understand. It's easier to believe sound bites created by the media, and the Politician's handlers . . And . . sometimes politicians change their agendas (or their minds, perhaps) because of any number of things. Reality. Need to maintain power. Greed. Name it . .

Most often, once in office, the needs of the Constituency isn't addressed until there's some sort of crisis . . The political line of sight is more important . .

This is a "Thumbnail sketch" of an answer and doesn't attempt to address the myriad of problems a Representative Government presents, but it seems to still be better than any other system man has devised . .
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Precisely, Large, which is why I used the word "idealistically". It's not realistic to think any of it will change, either, esp in the near future. I think we're too far gone down the hill -- you know how snowballs work. lol

Default Surrender

It's better than most other places? Too far gone?

That sounds like defeat if I've ever heard it.

And still, as in previous postings, neither came up with an answer, but took the negative perspective.

This is not intended to be offensive in any way. But it would seem that this is our problem as a country. At what point will we actually get fed up enough to do something? Slowly but surely more corrupt people get into office, changing laws to suit their needs, and procure solutions of for government jobs for their friends who need to charge exorbinate amounts to suit the style of living they are accustomed to.
    I have also felt defeated, and what is the point, but we are reaching the "point of no return".

No offense, really, but I hope you are not my age, nor younger. If that is the case, then we are all surely doomed.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    “It is just as cowardly to judge an absent person as it is wicked to strike a defenseless one. Only the ignorant and narrow-minded gossip, for they speak of persons instead of things.”

I didn't say anything particularily negative about the System of Government, but addressed the government's roots. The people of this country ill understand their governmental system and in the majority, are functionally illiterate when it comes to making decisions about who they elect and why.

And the Politicians know this . . and take advantage of it.

We continue to elect the same old thing, all dressed up in another shiny coat of bullsh*t, and while the two main political parties maintain different public philosophies, their intent seems to be pretty much the same. Maintain a power base while playing "Gotcha" with the guys across the aisle. And lying to the constituencies by inferring that they may be doing something constructive for the country. That, basically, is telling us what we want to hear, but doing nothing, or next to nothing.

Currently (another redundancy) we have a number of Senators (and Representatives) running for the Candidacy of POTUS. Why? According to national polls (all of them) indicate that less than 14% of the country has any faith in Congress and it's accomplishments . . but we're going to turn around and elect one of these failures . . to lead the country!

Based on that premise alone, I have to say the American people have been dumbed down to the point of being unable to make an intelligent decision about their choices and pretty much deserve what they get.

To add to that, were the American Elector to smart up and elect a competent leader, we would still have Congress to deal with . . And this is a rat's nest badly in need of sanitizing and starting over. One of the problems with Congress is that those who become tenured members, do so for both power and greed. Generally all about ME and damned little about YOU!

I cannot point to any Congressman or Senator who has gone to Washington and left broke, unless he was indicted for being found to be TOO GREEDY. Considering the fact that these people take a job in a town that costs about $150k per year to live in the style most of them live, and they get paid just a little more than that . . how can a person rathole millions? And why would anyone spent $11 million dollars to get a job that pays $168k per year?

They must have a hell of a good 401k! As well as a retirement program to die for. Serve two terms and you're vested . .

But . . who's to blame here? Those no good politicians? Not really. How about the idiots who keeps sending the same charlatan back so he can continue to enrich himself and Baffle 'em with bullsh*t?

Answer all the questions and peccadellos I've posed and you'll probably be off to a good start in answering your own question . .
    Last edited by large; 10-01-2007 at 07:00 AM.
    "A man with a firearm is a citizen... a man without one is a subject"

Gene, I have a really good idea for you, okay? Ready?

Howsabout you take a moment to actually try to understand the nature and content of what someone is saying before you start hurling insults at them?

And, since you're the only one here who knows anything, what's the use of the rest of us attempting to engage you in two way dialog? Have fun talking to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by large View Post
    I didn't say anything particularily negative about the System of Government, but addressed the government's roots. The people of this country ill understand their governmental system and in the majority, are functionally illiterate when it comes to making decisions about who they elect and why.
    I completely agree with you. People who are content as long as they aren't negatively impacted by whatever it is that's going on care only of themselves, and not anyone more.

Personally, if we could find an effective way to remove $$ from any political campaign to go directly to any 1 candidate. Instead, they can contribute to a general fund, run by an independant group responsible for planning trips around the country for these candidates to attend. And not seperately, but together. They are allowed to travel with 1 assistant to provide schedule keeping, answer calls, and make arrangements for the campaign. One restriction is, the assistant cannot have a marketing background of any kind. And no private rooms on the bus. Let them sit together, know one another, and get to the real issues. They'd have time between bus stops to understand their opponents, and have a more fair fight.
    “It is just as cowardly to judge an absent person as it is wicked to strike a defenseless one. Only the ignorant and narrow-minded gossip, for they speak of persons instead of things.”

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
    Gene, I have a really good idea for you, okay? Ready?
    Why do I feel like I might be told to sit and shake?

Howsabout you take a moment to actually try to understand the nature and content of what someone is saying before you start hurling insults at them?
    I don't understand. Where is the hurling insult. While I did state that it sounded to me that both of you admitted defeat.

Precisely, Large, which is why I used the word "idealistically". It's not realistic to think any of it will change, either, esp in the near future. I think we're too far gone down the hill -- you know how snowballs work. lol.
    Was that not a statement implying too far gone... I assumed meant nothing we do will help, so why try to?

And, since you're the only one here who knows anything, what's the use of the rest of us attempting to engage you in two way dialog? Have fun talking to yourself.
    Dear Lexi, I in no way ever implied that your comments are unwanted nor are they any less valueable by any other means. I merely suggested that as with most people I've spoken with in regards to the state of our union, that they don't see the road to reform an easy one, and find it hard to imagine change occuring.

I've been frustrated in my postings, but not largely at you or large. And when I am frustrated, it's because I ultimately would like to understand a persons point of view for what it is, and not for what most would judge it to be if it opposes their way of thinking.

That is the primary reason why I made the statement in my posting that I am not intending to offend anyone in my response, and hoped nobody would take it the wrong way. My conclusion, while seemingly brutal, was the honest thought I had after reading your reply to Large. If ever I refrain from making a statement on purpose, it's usually to remain polite, and hopefully not end up with a case of athletes foot in my mouth.
    Last edited by Gene; 10-01-2007 at 11:22 AM.